Todd Danielson practices his lines during a rehearsal for "Trading Bases: As-Boat Extreme" at the Steamboat Mountain Theater on Wednesday night. Performances are scheduled for April 3 to 5.

Photo by Brian Ray

Laugh at the locals

Ski Town Productions set to slam the 'Boat

photo

Brian Harvey practices his lines during a rehearsal for "Trading Bases: As-Boat Extreme" at the Steamboat Mountain Theater on Wednesday night. Performances are scheduled for April 3 to 5.

photo

Patti Zimmer practices her lines during a rehearsal for Trading Bases: As-boat Extreme at the Steamboat Mountain Theater on Wednesday night. Performances are scheduled for April 3, 4 and 5.

photo

The cast of Trading Bases: As-boat Extreme is photographed during practice at the Steamboat Mountain Theater on Wednesday night.

Past Event

"Trading Bases: As-Boat Extreme," presented by Ski Town Productions

• Thursday, April 3, 2008, 8 p.m.
  • Steamboat Mountain Theater, Steamboat Springs
  • Not available / $20

It's easy to be mean. Making mean funny takes a little more work.

"It's taking reality and it's taking it into the absurd. Mean humor is easy, but not necessarily funny. We don't want to totally offend someone," said Brian Harvey, describing his upcoming Ski Town Productions presentation of "Trading Bases: As-Boat Extreme."

Following the misadventures of three Steamboat caricatures who swap spots with three folks from Aspen, this year's Pirate Theatre piece - such as the ones before it - draws on local peculiarities and personalities for its laughs. New this year, the play gets some no-brainer shots from Aspen.

"We can really make fun of them because they're a whole other town - there are no repercussions, really," writer Todd Danielson said of going to town on Aspen stereotypes. Taking potshots at his own acting sheriff, sitting City Council or newspaper editors might be just as easy, but it's (slightly) more delicate.

For the most part, Danielson said, the play's Steamboat-centric jokes write themselves. On his third script for a Pirate Theatre production, Danielson - who also took the writing lead for the group's promotional Pirate & Yesterday spoof newspaper - said working all the town's eccentricities into a single plotline can be tough.

"That's the easy part," he said of finding people and topics to mock. "The hard part is writing a story that incorporates all those jokes. And I think we did."

Aside from commentary on development, city government, schools and current events, Pirate Theatre also plays on the presidential primaries and other national events. Harvey, who's produced these shows since their inception, said the jabs are even-handed.

"We certainly don't align ourselves left, right or center. We just get everyone who has an opinion," he said. "If you're even just on the periphery of knowing what's going on in politics, you'll find it funny."

For those who have been to past Pirate productions, many of the characters featured in the end-of-ski-season celebration will be familiar faces, institutionalized to more effectively poke fun at local institutions. Throwing in another town allows for some new stars, said actor and technical director Kelly Anzalone.

"The cool thing about the show, if you've seen a lot of them, is that there are a lot of new characters that are just hilarious, and I think they're going to steal the show," he said.

"We did our first read-through a couple of weeks ago, and I had to stop, I was laughing so hard."

Comments

betamikeiski 6 years, 4 months ago

This is a great show and a great time. Much kudos to the staff, actors etc. of Pirate Theatre for giving us locals something new and different to do on an evening besides hitting the same old bars. Very much looking forward to catching the show.

Matthew Stoddard 6 years, 4 months ago

CarrieRequist- Evidently, I could have used those lyrics on Saturday night, too! LOL! dang multiple phallic references... always gettin' those mixed up!

Matthew Stoddard 6 years, 4 months ago

I just wanted to give a huge thanks to all involved in the show, from the cast to the crew and most importantly...the audiences we had!!! 4 shows, all sold out and each audience was laughing their a$$es off and having a great time!

While our shows will never win awards...maybeeeee...working in the Ski Town Productions shows for Pirate Theater is usually the most fun I have all year long. It's a whirlwind of rehearsals & breaking in the newbies, but it's always worth it when the audience starts laughing! We make fun of everyone including ourselves...BOY, do we make fun of ourselves!! LOL!

I also want to say a big "Thanks for being a Great Sport!!!" to Loui Antonucci! He was right up there in the 2nd row & all while we did our mandatory City Coucil jabs! Thanks, Loui!!

Matt Stoddard

Carrie Requist 6 years, 4 months ago

This was a great show (even/especially the dig about this forum, which had me rolling with laughter).

I want the lyrics to the song about "special" words - that was great.

colowoodsman 6 years, 4 months ago

Did they sing the Steamboat theme song ' We've Got It All and We Want More'?

bloggyblog 6 years, 4 months ago

blog thought Stevo, i mean steve, was really funny. except for that talking in the 3'rd person part. thats totally wierd! seriously, thanks for the laughs. blog is going to really miss the mountain theater.

Matthew Stoddard 6 years, 4 months ago

Thanks, bloggy! Steve's gonna lie low for a while, but Anton might make a comeback for Cabaret!!

Also, Kelly has plans for a new theater, but really needs investors to get it going.

Any interested in helping Kelly Anzalone with funding or pointing potential investors to the right place, please contact Kelly at:

<p>kelly@steamboattheater.com

We need to keep theater alive in Steamboat so we can have a bigger laugh than we get here!

Carrie Requist 6 years, 4 months ago

Matt - I was there Sat night and was thinking "cock is another name for Richard, what???" Glad that was cleared up the second time around.

Matthew Stoddard 6 years, 4 months ago

Yeaaaaahhh...As soon as it came out, I thought: "Crap! This will never rhyme!!!" LOL! Thank God for Tony clearing it up the 2nd time! Should have been "Dick is another name for Richard, and Cock is something you do to shoot a gun."

oldskoolstmbt 6 years, 4 months ago

sooooo funny! thank you for making me laugh for hours! to those that didn't get to see this show...i'm so sorry!

Matthew Stoddard 6 years, 4 months ago

SBC- You'll have to ask Kelly. He has to edit them first, which takes a while when he's been busy getting ready to close up everything after Cabaret. Hopefully, soon! There's still some others that I need to finish my collection, too!

Oldskoolstmbt- I glad you enjoyed the show! We had a ball up there on stage! The audience is what keeps us going!

spukomy 6 years, 4 months ago

Matt, Great job by you and the rest of the staff. Truely entertaining.

Matthew Stoddard 6 years, 4 months ago

Awwww, ID- feeling left out because you don't know what a good time really is?

Considering all 4 shows sold out with people still waiting to get tickets, I feel pretty good about the show we put on.

Carrie Requist 6 years, 4 months ago

Ok, I make no claims to be a lyricist, but how's this:

A cock wakes up the farm in the morning. A hump in the road will have a warning.

OR

A cock is a rooster that crows at dawn. and Dick, as in Cheney, is often gone.

Matthew Stoddard 6 years, 4 months ago

Carrie- Very nice!!! LMAO!! Call Todd Danielson to help him next time! I only "Steveify" what they write for that character.

spukomy- My thanks to you for being there to enjoy it as we the cast/crew enjoyed it!

id04sp 6 years, 4 months ago

How interesting.

A bunch of so-called adults have discovered the penis.

Most male infants become aware of it at a significantly younger age.

Do you schedule your rehearsals around "Family Guy?"

I thought so.

Ever seen the inscription above a urinal, "What are you looking up here for? The joke is in your hand."

Okay. I'm going to do an experiment. I'm going to write a three act musical play that takes place entirely in a men's restroom.

I think I'm going to be rich.

id04sp 6 years, 4 months ago

You misunderstand me Kielbasa. I'm serious. If you guys won't put it on, somebody in San Francisco or in Elton John's neighborhood (Buckhead) in Atlanta will jump on it.

It would be a series of vignettes, with characters coming in and out and interacting with each other.

The opening number would be a parody of "Stand by Me." Get it?

Matthew Stoddard 6 years, 4 months ago

Considering your past complaints to Steamboat's live theater productions...well- by all means- go for it! I'm only one of the performers: I don't write, direct or produce the shows. I just have fun getting up on stage so people who enjoy what we do can see it & have fun themselves. I'd say we did a pretty good job of that, from the feedback I'm seeing on this thread and on the street.

You'll need a place to put it on, though. For that, contact Kelly Anzalone at the links I provided in the prior post above. Maybe you'll end up investing to keep theater alive in Steamboat! Who knows?- maybe you'll get a say as to the type of production you'd like to see on stage!