Brent Boyer: Putting our opinion out there

Brent Boyer

Contact Editor Brent Boyer at 871-4221 or e-mail bboyer@SteamboatToday.com.

— Kelly Meek's anger came through loud and clear in the phone message he left me Monday afternoon. The venerable high school boys basketball coach and former teacher was incensed about the newspaper's Sunday editorial about Steamboat Springs High School Principal Mike Knezevich.

Meek wasn't alone. We've heard from several high school staff members - one of them penned a letter to the editor that was published in Wednesday's Steamboat Today - who say we misrepresented the nature of Knezevich's staff meeting last week and in so doing unfairly slammed a respected, honorable school administrator. Many online readers also questioned the editorial.

It's not the first time one of our editorials has been the subject of intense criticism, and it certainly won't be the last. I'm OK with that. In fact, I think editorials should spark community debate and dialogue about important issues. It would be a shame if everyone agreed with what we wrote.

Some of the controversy with Sunday's editorial is based on the following sentence: "Knezevich then encouraged his teachers and staff to show up at the board meeting Monday to support him." Today, I confess that sentence isn't accurate. While Knezevich did in fact call the staff meeting to inform his faculty about his job status, he didn't specifically ask them to attend Monday's School Board meeting. Rather, he read a memo from Superintendent Dr. Sandra Smyser informing staff they were welcome to attend Monday's meeting if they wanted to comment about Knezevich.

For that mistake, I apologize to Knezevich and our readers.

However, the Editorial Board stands behind the foundation of Sunday's piece: We believe it was unprofessional for Knezevich to call the staff meeting in the first place, we believe it has created tension and division among the school's staff and we believe there was the intention, whether stated or not, to encourage staff support of their principal.

The editorial about Steamboat Springs City Council that appeared in Wednesday's newspaper also was quick to receive criticism, particularly from a couple of our online readers. One of them, who goes by the pseudonym "twostroketerror," criticized the newspaper's "self-righteous editorializing."

Editorials, by their very nature, are supposed to be opinionated. The best editorials are strongly opinionated and well-reasoned. Editorials provide an opportunity for us to interpret issues and events and to read between the lines. Hopefully, they spark conversations - if not debates - about the issue at hand. At the end of the day, I hope editorials make readers think about an issue we deem important, and perhaps even consider an opposing viewpoint.

Our editorials appear in the Wednesday and Sunday editions of the newspaper. I'm typically the one who writes them, although City Editor Mike Lawrence and longtime reporter and columnist Tom Ross sometimes pitch in. The gist of the editorials, however, is agreed upon by the six-member Editorial Board, which consists of me, Lawrence, Ross, Publisher Bryna Larsen and two community members. The community members serve four-month terms. Noreen Moore and Tom Miller-Freutel are our current community representatives; their terms expire at the end of April.

The Editorial Board meets Tuesday mornings to discuss whichever current events and issues come to mind. Everyone gets an equal opportunity to express their opinions, and we typically rely on a democratic vote to decide whether to weigh in on a particular issue. We may not always agree with one another, but we all respect the process.

I also want readers to know they have several avenues to express their disagreement with the Pilot & Today's editorial stances or any other newspaper issue. They can write a letter to the editor. If they choose to remain anonymous, they can comment on our Web site. And they can always call, e-mail or stop by my office to chat in person. I can be reached at (970) 871-4221 and bboyer@steamboatpilot.com.

From the Editor appears in the Thursday edition of the Steamboat Today.

Comments

Kojak 6 years, 6 months ago

(This editorial should have been removed by the site staff.)

BigOil 6 years, 6 months ago

Gosh Brent - how about weighing in on how I should run my business. Should I call a staff meeting today? Maybe you could attend a few Ski Corps or Med Center meetings and publish how you think things should be run. Since when was it the business of the paper to get involved with how principals run their schools? It's not - But you are in the business of selling ads. Manufactured controversy such as that "Our View" article increases readership allowing you to try to keep inflated ad rates at the expense of our community.

You admitted that you lied to us with "I confess that sentence isn't accurate." You didn't say, "you got it wrong" or "we should have done a better job sourcing the story." You only "confess" to a lie.

At the end of the day with the Internet & 24 hours news channels the Pilot's ONLY value is that if Steamboat community news. You guys are doing a great job of screwing that up.

letomayo 6 years, 6 months ago

Brent it isn't about sparking dialogue it is about telling the truth and knowing what you are talking about when you write the editroial and your editorial was about spreading lies and making someone look bad who your staff members and their wives don't like. This article is a limp excuse for doing a "hit job" on someone.

Krista Monger 6 years, 6 months ago

As a HS teacher, although not one at SSHS, I would like to chime in on the debate. I do not know the principal, but I do know the type of atmosphere that is occuring at SSHS. It's divisive. Boyer has it right. Knezevich is trying to make his job a popularity contest, and he shouldn't be putting teachers into that kind of situation. An earlier comment on an earlier article wanted to know where were the dissenting voices? Silent. And I'll tell you why. You don't bite the hand that feeds you. And this works both ways. A teacher who supports the principal won't show up at the board meeting in fear that the board might not renew his contract (newly hired teachers can be non-renewed for no reason).

And on the flip side, a teacher who doesn't like the principal won't speak up either because if the principal is vindictive, he can make life hell for a teacher. Examples might be not approving personal leave, not buying classroom materials, giving non-wanted duty. The principal divides the staff into the haves and the have nots. And those in the good graces can do just about anything. They might be able to run home during a planning period to fetch a forgotten item, or be asked to be on a wanted committee, and I've even seen principals go so far as to take coaching positions away from one person, only to give them to those in his "favorite club".

It's not fun being in the "have not" crowd, and I imagine most teachers at SSHS are keenly watching the debate, but electing to stay out of it to preserve their own jobs. The staff is obviously divided based on a comment by "river", and just because his/her face wasn't seen at the meeting, doesn't mean all the staff supports Knezevich. Kelly Meek is obviously in the "haves" group. And for him, Knezevich is a great principal, but does Meek see what is happening in the "have not" crowd. That is the question that I think the board is trying to find out.

Dan Hill 6 years, 6 months ago

It seems to me our entire school system is a den of intrigue and backstabbing. As a local taxpayer I'm paying these people to play these games instead of giving our kids (well your kids) a decent education. You bet I want my local paper to put the microscope on this nonsense. Ok, so Brent made a mistake. He admitted it. Move on.

homegrown 6 years, 6 months ago

He didn't make a mistake, he admitted to lying and that is goes against everything that the media is supposed to represent, who cares about all his other excuses for promoting dialogue when nothing can ever be solved if the truth is not told.

Brent Boyer 6 years, 6 months ago

All: In an attempt to clear up any confusion: In the sentence, "Today, I confess that sentence isn't accurate," I do not mean to say or imply that I knew beforehand that the original sentence about Knezevich's meeting was inaccurate. I certainly did not. In hindsight, I should have better phrased the sentence in my column today. I can promise readers of the Pilot & Today that I have never, will never and would never print anything I knew to be untrue.

Brent Boyer Editor, Steamboat Pilot & Today (970) 871-4221 bboyer@steamboatpilot.com

id04sp 6 years, 6 months ago

All this quackage about a bunch of cliqueish adults who herd a bunch of kids around in a little redneck town that happens to sit next to a world-class ski hill.

They are only important in their own minds, and that's only because the community is paying attention to them.

Teachers can only have so much influence over the learning that goes on in their classrooms. School and school board policies on discipline and attendance have a big effect, as do the motivation and intelligence of the students.

The people we are dealing with as administrators are mostly folks who spent four years in high school, 4 or so years in college, and then ran back to high school because that's where they were comfortable. Then, one day, they discovered they were grown up and dissatisfied with being in high school, and decided to become administrators to get out of the classroom and get a higher salary.

Teaching in a public school is a cushy civil service job. Compared to competing in business, taking risks as an entrepreneur, or becoming qualified to hold a professional license such as MD, RN, JD, etc., it's not very hard to do. Teachers are, however, the most important people in their classroom, and it appears to go to their heads.

The community needs to tell them to:

Provide a safe, bully-free environment for students;

Provide adequate nutrition in the cafeteria;

Provide a college prep and occupational course of study that will prepare students to go on to real careers outside the schoolhouse;

AND SHUT UP, SHUT UP, SHUT UP and be grateful for a regular paycheck.

palemorningdunn 6 years, 6 months ago

Offering a factually based, fair opinion is worlds away from what you did with the Knezevich piece. You made assumptions and created innuendos that supported your prefabricated premise that Mike was unprofessional.

There was much more wrong with your editorial than the line you admit was false. You also implied Knezevich was backing or was himself circulating a petition of support. Whether that was done intentionally or because of sloppy writing, it's still on you.

And why, exactly is it "unprofessional" for a leader to inform his staff of a serious situation involving his future? You're telling me that if you bosses gave you a choice to be fired or resign, you wouldn't gather your staff together to tell them the predicament? There is nothing unprofessional in that.

What was unprofessional was the way a small special interest group got in good with a temporary Superintendent with no loyalty and got her to try to push Mike out - at the same time she's heading out the door herself.

Good, strong leaders are always going rub some people wrong. But you don't fire a great principle like Mike because a minority has been whispering in Smyser's ear. It's absolutely ludicrous. You nurture and support someone like Mike who dedicates his whole life to that school and those kids.

And your half-cocked, half-informed inaccurate editorial only made things worse. You can try and stand on your high First Amendment pedestal and preach down to us about how important your opinion is and imply that we are simply not elevated enough to understand the role you play. But I can tell you with no uncertainty, that the column you wrote is nothing like the ideal you think you're upholding. It was inaccurate, misguided and destructive. You should be ashamed, not proudly boasting. What arrogance.

twostroketerror 6 years, 6 months ago

Hey I'm famous! Brett, your the editor, of course you can have your say. The rest of us get to listen. Yea us! Through this site, it seems your also willing to have some 95% of the people have their say, and I sincerely thank you. So may I also add "preachy" "moralizing" and "who the heck are you to tell me who I can and can't hang out with after work"

id04sp 6 years, 6 months ago

When you take on a position that has ethical constraints, especially if they are dictated by law (and policy authorized by law), you are supposed to follow them.

Would you say it's okay for a judge to hang around with cocaine traffickers after work? It's not okay for people who have a security clearance to worry about to hang out with cocaine traffickers after work. The AMA forbids doctors from dating their patients. Our society is full of such prohibitions. If you want the job that carries the restrictions, then obey them. It's pretty simple.

ssboater 6 years, 6 months ago

As a high school teacher, I resent the previous statement made by id04sp. Contrary to popular opinion, teaching is not the cushy civil service job you speak of. I arrive in my classroom by 6:45 each day and leave between 5:00 and 6:00. I take 15 minutes for lunch, most often with students by my side needing some sort of guidance. I have students who are being abused, neglected, and/or left to be educated by the schools alone by their well-educated, business world parents. It is my job to help produce civilly minded, critically thinking, kind citizens that will one day make decisions for the rest of us. The responsibility is large and in no sense, "cushy." This is a far cry from my experience making six figures in the "business-world" after I recieved a second B.A. and a master's degree. I am not sure who you want teaching the future of our global community, but I would hope that you don't simply want us to teach students how to work in a specific career when the types of jobs and amount of information coming at our students is changing at an unimaginable pace. Further, I find it difficult to understand how you believe it to be important to provide a bully-free environment when you just told an entire profession to shut up, shut up, shut up, shut up. I hope this isn't the model you would use if you found yourself in this "cushy" job.

I invite you to enter any school across this nation for a week and take on the responsibilites of a teacher, let alone an administrator. I am certain that your tune will change. I enjoy being a teacher because it is my hope that I can encourage my students to become productive members of society who envoke change rather than stand by and complain.

424now 6 years, 6 months ago

id,

That sounds a lot like the old saying, those who can do those who can't teach. I've heard that before. I may have even bought into it at one time. That would have been before I started getting seriously involved in the education of my boys. I spent time on campus everyday with the staff and teachers of first, an Elementary then Middle and High Schools.

These teachers you are ready to belittle or at least the vast majority of them are honest, hardworking, self sacrificing men and women who attempt to educate our children. In lean times they pull from there own personnel resources to do so. It is no easy task to commit 8 to 16 hours a day, depending on the time of year and workload, to educating the young.

Heave to and stow the cannons there is no need to broadside the teachers in the Boat.

steamboatsconscience 6 years, 6 months ago

bore twisting the subject to interject your political crap what a tool you are you are the one trying to indoctrinate here you are certainly not objective and you are no educator just trying to impress yourself as usual

beagle 6 years, 6 months ago

Kojak's comment was inspired!
Brent and editorial board (especially including guest Tom M-F):
Didn't you learn anything from the whole Dr. D. recall debacle? Nice try defending the editorial but it was truly a waste product and reminds me of some previous ones. Didn't you also say, "Of course, this is exactly what Knezevich wanted - to make his job status public and incite reaction from his allies." How do you know exactly what he wanted I wonder? I don't know Knezevich or anything about him but I know a stinky editorial when I read one. Maybe if you had relevant information about the principal you might have been able to write it better.

id04 - You too are clueless. I'm sure glad you don't teach my kids.
ssboater - keep up the good work. bore - do you really think anyone goes to your links?

424now 6 years, 6 months ago

Oh well... um,.. heh heh... um, I do

Some are actually helpful and others funny.

Sunspot 6 years, 6 months ago

There seems to be a pattern here. Create controversy to increase circulation and sell more ads. The Pilot sticks their editorial nose into what ever they think will cause the biggest explosion, regardless of merit. Does the editorial board really give a hoot what the high school principal is up to? Is that the best they can do?

Who will be the next victim?

smsc 6 years, 6 months ago

Brent: It's apparent that because you are the "editor" of such a small town paper you feel that it's your right to express your opinions as fact in your editorials. However, should you take the time to read any major newspapers you will probably learn that your job, as an editor, is "to demonstrate good judgment and a strong sense of ethics in deciding what material to publish. Editors also need tact and the ability to guide and encourage others in their work." http://www.bls.gov/oco/ocos089.htm

Statements like this one: "However, the Editorial Board stands behind the foundation of Sunday's piece: We believe it was unprofessional for Knezevich to call the staff meeting in the first place, we believe it has created tension and division among the school's staff and we believe there was the intention, whether stated or not, to encourage staff support of their principal" have neither merit nor validity to back them up. I am a teacher at this high school and I, unlike you or any member of the staff, was at this meeting called by Knezevich and I can factually tell you that the meeting was professional and informative which was something that the entire staff of SSHS needed. Unlike you, we don't function well amidst the rumor mill and when you hear that your principal might not have his contract renewed for next year from a 10th grader it becomes slightly more difficult to focus on the tasks at hand.

Yes, editorials are supposed to be opinionated but they are not supposed to be full of bold faced lies to stir up the issue like you are currently doing. You stated "Today, I confess that sentence isn't accurate," I do not mean to say or imply that I knew beforehand that the original sentence about Knezevich's meeting was inaccurate. I certainly did not. In hindsight, I should have better phrased the sentence in my column today.I can promise readers of the Pilot & Today that I have never, will never and would never print anything I knew to be untrue." You lied in the original column on Sunday and you lied here today:to the entire community of Steamboat Springs very admirable. I hope that the "work" that you do fulfills you because you are jeopardizing your moral fiber to spread nasty rumors around our little town. You have disgraced yourself and you have disgraced the paper and once you have lost the faith and the trust of the people that used to read your paper, what do you have left?

Lastly id04sp, until you've walked a mile in my shoes take your own advice:shut up shut up shut up. Your comments are so far out there that no one takes the time to read them. You make yourself look like a pompous ignorant boob almost daily and we all wish you would move back to Florida at this point.

armchairqb 6 years, 6 months ago

I ask all of you to stop this bickering & lets get down to the BRASS TAX. Teachers are hard working & spend MORE time with our kids than WE do!!!! So lay off....and lets know that we NEED NOW more than ever to get things FIXED here in STEAMBOAT before its too late (and I hope its not TOO late) We need to work together, correct our flaws (thats why there are erasers on pencils) Who isn't without fault, and who could not use a little help now & then. (there is always room for improvement in everyone)Remember that many people (right now) are seeking employment & looking in the direction of Steamboat. Now is this the picture we want painted: can't get along, back-stabbing, jobs on the line, little pay, no job security????? Now ask yourself DO YOU want to work here????? Get rid of who you want....but be careful what you wish for. You never know what you GOT till its GONE!!!!

QuitYerWhining 6 years, 6 months ago

I dont own any Brass...do I still have to pay the tax?...sorry couldnt help myself....

justathought 6 years, 6 months ago

Putting our opinion out there... that's the title of this editorial, notice the words "OUR OPINION" and they are entitled to one just like the rest of us. At least they aren't trying to pass their opinion off as news or unbiased politics like the NY times, or cnn, cnbc, etc. If you don't like their opinion, don't read the editorials.

Brian Bavosi 6 years, 6 months ago

Based on the content of the Pilot, there is an obvious need for the staff of the paper to sensationalize every topic possible....there is nothing else to write about!!! The fact of the matter is that there is hardly anything news worthy that occurs in this town. I was impressed that the Pilot staff has realized the unimprotance of themselves and have resorted to tabloid style journalism...it is truly a testament to their own ability. It is a shame that many of the recent editorials are a blatant attempt to undermine the academic and political foundation of this town and on many occassions slander well respected members of our community. FYI, there is currently a presidential election, a war, and a major recession taking place all around our little bubble we call Steamboat......all you have to write about is a principal and some folks having drinks at a local bar?!!!! Pull your head out of your ass and have an opinion about some relevant issues that many people are concerned about. Why do you feel the need and responsibility to blow everything out of proportion in order to create a bunch of hype and spew your nonsensical opinions?

contrarian 6 years, 6 months ago

smsc: It's actually frightening that you're a teacher at the High School given your understanding of what does and does not constitute a lie versus a mistake. Pretty almighty of you, by the way, to question someone elses "moral fiber" when you don't have the guts to sign your name to your post so we can examine your background and moral fiber. In the past days, I've spoken to a number of teachers who are quite in agreement with the editorial in question. But given the way you act, I can see why they would know better than to speak to you. Given your example, it's no wonder students graduating from here demonstrate a complete lack of reading comprehension.

id04sp 6 years, 6 months ago

Anybody who thinks that teaching in Routt County is not a cushy civil service job should try shoveling snow off the roof, or driving nails when it's 10 below outside.

Teaching is warm, dry, well-lit, very safe around here, and brings a steady paycheck. No risk involved compared to the majority of other jobs people do around this county.

Resent it all you like. Come on out at 7 AM and do physical work all day, hoping you can recover the money you invested in the latest construction contract. That might reset your "offend-o-meter" about what "cushy" means.

blahblah 6 years, 6 months ago

Brent, looks like your little editorial did more to promote divisiveness than any staff meeting ever could. Get the story straight before reporting it as fact. You look foolish as you backpedal, and you damage people in the process.

contrarian 6 years, 6 months ago

Actually, Knev should be kissing Brent's posterior for saving his job. Knev knew exactly what he was doing and has now forced the hand of the school board without ever having to reveal his evals.

LookoutJoe 6 years, 6 months ago

ido has a point with the "red neck town next to a world-class ski resort" comment. This is small town America struggling with its own self identity at this point. The old party block is getting demolished, new buildings are coming in, people now even want Home Depot and Target here. But we still deal with the pretentious and powerful few who have made every aspect of life in this town a political mess because they have the tilt to do so; folks who came here with a wad of cash and need to feel important. The school board is a complete mess. The city board is simply an embarassment. Not to mention we have a bunk news paper that prints off microscopically important details everyday for gossip hungry "locals" to chew on. Any change in important personel in this town is blown out of proportion when matters of such business should be kept off the front of the paper and be handled by professionals in a professional manner. But we'll always have the Steamboat Springs "Tabloid" to give us the scoop. This whole mess just shows what a bunch of knuckleheads run this town

contrarian 6 years, 6 months ago

LookoutJoe, If you look in the mirror you'll see the knucklehead. Read any paper in America from the largest city to the smallest town and you'll find school board happenings and city council happenings on page one and regularly the subject of editorials. Why? Because those two bodies impact the largest number of taxpaying citizens.

Brian Bavosi 6 years, 6 months ago

Contrarian, You make a good point and that would be that this place is "any town USA"...we're not special, we're not different, so we might as well be like the rest of the world and act like the typical senasationalists!! Find me one picture of another city council somewhere in the world having drinks at a bar....please! You should change your name to contradictarian.

contrarian 6 years, 6 months ago

brain (pun intended): You must have been a student in smsc's reading incomprehension class. The council invited the pilot reporter and photographer to join them, following Ivancie's whining to the paper about the other council members.

id04sp 6 years, 6 months ago

ssboater,

There is a ring of truth in some of what you say, and it is certainly wrong to say that there are not good teachers who try to make a difference in the lives of the kids they find in need. However, people who really love what they do don't care what others think about it, and certainly don't need to justify it to anyone else. If you must make a sacrifice of some sort to be fulfilled, okay, but the teachers I've known who complain about the job also NEVER do anything about getting a better job. Nobody is holding a gun to your head. You could use that MBA during the day in a job you'd enjoy and tutor needy kids at night to "give something back."

I, too, have suffered from the knowledge that I was smarter than the people around me at work, and sometimes have had to put up with buffoonery, but I never EVER thought that chucking the adult job and going to spend my time with kids was going to provide fulfillment.

But, you're not doing brain surgery. If you have two MBAs and a Masters Degree, and gave up a six figure salary in a place where six figures barely pay the rent, what are you doing here? Are you one o' them "counsellor" folks with a personal history of abuse and just can't let it go, or did you just get so burned out from a three-hour daily commute that ANYTHING would have to be better?

Life in these little mountain towns is tough for the bread winners and bill payers. People who bring families here and then have to work two jobs each to survive are not really doing the best thing for the kids. Better to work in a slaugterhouse in Kansas and take the kids fishing on the weekend.

If you have discovered that living in a small town with four seasons (June, July, August and Winter) and high costs is grating on your nerves after a couple of years, it happens to the best of us. Just don't sit there and wait for retirement; life is too short.

Ask yourself this one; "What's my goal?" Existence is not a goal, and my friend, it will show in everything you do.

Beagle,

I'm glad I don't teach your kids too. I'd need to have the kids in the advanced sections, or I'd be bored to death.

I never wanted to ever be a teacher at any point in my entire life, and I think it's not a suitable profession for a man until you get to college-level courses where advanced degrees are required in order to teach (including grad students, of course).

For some people, I guess it beats swinging a hammer. On the other hand, swinging a hammer sure beats teaching.

Mr. Holland's Opus is one of my favorite films, because I think it accurately depicts the high school stereotypes; particularly the misplaced arrogance of educators. Take a small mind with some talent, but marginal skills, and put it in charge of ANYTHING, and it will find a way to misuse the power.

This latest flap at the high school is a perfect example.

guskimo 6 years, 6 months ago

Ido4sp,

Did your parents send you to a private catholic school where the priests turned you into who you are now? Must be why you hate kids so much.

LookoutJoe 6 years, 6 months ago

contrarian,

I don't think its the papers job to make a soap opera out of a situation like this. If the school board hires a new administrator or the city council passes anything important, sure that will be on the front page. But staff writers using false information, bringing down the image of a man fighting for his job is simply wrong.

id04sp 6 years, 6 months ago

guskimo,

I think kids are great. You just have to know how to cook them.

I attended public schools in four different states, in towns ranging from major metro areas to places the size of Steamboat. In each town, in each school, there were teachers who only remained on the payroll because of tenure. The shame was that they never did anything evil or notorious enough to be fired for cause on moral grounds.

I'm not anti-kid. My problem is with poor teaching and schools that don't protect the kids in their charge.

MtnWarlock 6 years, 6 months ago

After review of these blogs, it makes me wonder a lot about the issues at hand. I'm glad it's just the blog and not the voiced opinion of our whole community! We have a newspaper that's accused of being a "tabloid" news at best, for voicing their opinion. Then, there's the assault on the teachers and there administrator who's personnel issues should of been kept private, instead of being splattered in the paper and on this blog for what ever reason. Oh, and I can't forget about our "good ole boy" council and it's approach to "loosen up" after meetings, regardless of the Sunshine Laws. I look at the blogs that these teachers have posted and I noticed that these were posted during school hours! One could only speculate that a school computer was used to post here as well! The principal may not be the only one in trouble here! It is a fact that there are a lot of jobs that require more physical conditions in the elements, than teaching as ido4sp stated. However, those jobs do not involve kids, they do not have to be accountable to the general public and they are paid overtime for extra work. Extra meetings and extra hours for teachers are not paid extra. As negative as this may sound, in my opinion, most schools are used as a dumping ground or day care for kids by their parents any way! Truthfully, it's a proven fact that news sells, regardless of it's accuracy. I think most people should take the news at face value until they get verification. Naivety can cause all kinds of trouble. But hey, these are the blogs! You have to love em' or hate em' and all their anonymity! For what that's worth, have a good weekend!

beagle 6 years, 6 months ago

Don't worry id04, I'm sure if you were ever able to get hired as a teacher that you'd never cut it. And for that the world is a better place. Lucky for you that you can't get fired from your full-time job here on the blog sharing your wisdom with anyone who's bored enough to read it.

outsiderlookingin 6 years, 5 months ago

Whose next for their turn in the barrel? Last year it was Howell and Dr.D then it was that bar owner guy and now it's Mike K. There is plenty of fault to go around. The big question is what exactly is acccomplished with all this smearing going on? Howell is still here spending her buy-out, Dr. D. is still on the school board, Beer and drinks still flow at the Pirate's pub and undoubtably Mike will lead the seniors on graduation day next year. Maybe we should all take ido4's advice and shut up. As my folks use to day _IF YOU DON'T HAVE ANYTHING NICE TO SAY DON'T SAY ANYTHING.

joe-- gotta love it

424now 6 years, 5 months ago

id!

Wait a minute, id, Id! LOL That acronym just hit me. You child cooker you! how Freudian!

MtnWarlock 6 years, 5 months ago

outsiderlookingin, Your folks were right in a lot of ways for that saying. It works most of the time for most negative situations. Maybe one would beg to differ with that philosophy, when it comes to those whom have spoken out for what they believe in and because of that opinion, made change in our world that was positive! But I guess the down side of the same, would be adding to the negatives of an already bad situation hence, exacerbating the problem. Maybe we should all give up our anonymity, so we can all be accountable for our voice here! I think that would make people more accountable for their blogs, don't you think? It's easy to sit behind our camouflage computers with anonymous blog names and take pot shots at folks and issues. Standing out in the open to voice, like a few do here, makes people accountable, an open target and fair game! I think the postings would change. Or, may become few and far between.

424now 6 years, 5 months ago

Warlock,

I honestly don't know what would happen if that were to occur. I don't know if I would be as free with my ideas. When I get a little out there I get called on it. The same goes for most of us. If someone gets to aggressive they get pulled. I guess I just like this forum the way it is. I guess we'll see now won't we.

424now 6 years, 5 months ago

Reposted from another comment of mine,

This is an anonymous forum. It is a place to postulate ideas with people that you might not normally socialize with. A place where no matter what your economic standing you will be heard. Your race, religion, weight, political choices, etc... don't carry weight in here. Your ideas do. You can say what you feel and if your feelings are misguiding you decisions, in here, someone will point that out. Unless the comment is deleted. I see no fault in my anonymity.

MtnWarlock 6 years, 5 months ago

!424now, You are most certainly correct! Maybe if there were a touch more personal accountability of negative posts, people would think a little and control their emotions before they strike the keyboard to comment. The freedom of speech is a great thing! It's done great things in our country! But, our Pilot blogs get a little out there sometimes. That's all! I enjoy my anonymity as well. Have a good day

justathought 6 years, 5 months ago

On anonymity, 424 has so eloquently stated, "Your race, religion, weight, political choices, etc... don't carry weight in here. Your ideas do." I agree and if you go back and read some of the statements and accusations made by posters that just think they know who another poster is, it's easy to understand why some of us choose to remain anonymous.

424now 6 years, 5 months ago

Thread,

A lesson from my regal and long passed father.

Anger will never win an argument, reason will. The louder you yell the less you will be heard. A still quiet voice that holds only certainty and strength in its tone will instill far more fear an opponent than the indifferent rantings of an angered individual. If you let someone anger you they have already won.

424now 6 years, 5 months ago

I am 42.

I am a lucky man. Lucky and Blessed.

I refer to myself as a genetic throw-back. Because my wisdom teeth came in straight and also because of my upbringing. I was born in 1965. I was the first biological child to my 52 year old father and his 40 year old wife. It is a miracle I am here in the first place. All my contemporaries were the children of pot smoking hippies or old school alcoholics. I grew up watching every single Bob Hope or Bing Crosby special.

I aspire to be a noble human because he taught me what honor means.

At the age of fifty two he was blessed with a son. After years of tragedy and saddnes in that department he had given up. He didn't know what the twitch in eye and muscle spasms in his arm intimated. In those days ALS was hard to see coming. Then wham! Tada! I came along followed two years later by my younger brother. My father worked himself to death to provide a semblance of security and promise for my little brother and I. He made it to 64 year on this earth before he passed. Gave me the best twelve years of my life.

I will honor my fathers memory with my actions for the rest of my time here on earth.