Police: Knife fight racially motivated

Two men injured in March 7 altercation near ski area

— The Steamboat Springs Police Department is investigating a racially motivated knife fight that sent two men to the hospital with minor injuries March 7.

The incident, which began as a verbal altercation between a black man and three white men on a city bus, escalated into a physical fight at the Gondola Transit Center, police said.

The white men are thought to have been harassing the black man while riding the bus from downtown, Sgt. Dale Coyner said Friday. One of the three men yelled a racial slur after exiting the bus at the Gondola Transit Center, Coyner said.

In response, the black man pulled out a knife, ran off the bus and chased after them, Coyner said.

In the ensuing fight, one of the white men sustained a cut on his finger from the knife, Coyner said. The black man also was treated for minor injuries, Coyner said.

"It took a few days to get it all sorted out," Coyner said.

The police department's investigation is ongoing.

Stabbing goes to trial

The defendant in a separate racially motivated stabbing last July at Sunpie's Bistro will stand trial this summer in Routt County District Court. On Jan. 28, Christopher Allen Hamm pleaded not guilty to charges of second-degree assault, a Class 4 felony, and bias-motivated crime, a Class 5 felony.

Hamm allegedly stabbed Alfred Turner, a black man, in the thigh after telling him to "leave our white women alone" at the Yampa Street bar July 6.

Hamm's trial is set to begin July 28. A motions hearing is scheduled for 1 p.m. May 5, and a pretrial conference is at 3 p.m. June 20.

Comments

MtnWarlock 6 years, 9 months ago

Who said racial issues are not tense around here! I'm just glad these incidents didn't involve Smith & Wesson, like they often do in the city!

bloggyblog 6 years, 9 months ago

unfortunately, these lowlife's actions reflect poorly upon all of us. being a witness or victim of racism can be intimidating and its all too easy to look the other way ,but we've got to adopt a ZERO tolerence for this crap and show these pond scum the door.

Dukebets 6 years, 9 months ago

boggy - maybe the guy who pulled a knife and chased the individuals should have looked the other way. I'm not sure how name calling justifies assault with a knife.

bloggyblog 6 years, 9 months ago

dukebets, blog see's your point. blog isn't trying to justify the actions of the victim. violence begets violence. but racism is the lowest form of ignorance and its discouraging to see seemingly intelligent people follow its path. speaking up and out is the best defense against it!

justathought 6 years, 9 months ago

I agree Dukebets, he should have called the cops and filed harassment charges. . My mother taught me "sticks and stones...." WHERE the hell was the bus driver, they call the cops and/or kick drunks off their buses so why is racial (or any) harassment ignored? Blog, what law would you use to "show the door" to three prejudiced, small minded, loud mouthed, rednecks? Since these three jerks didn't start a physical altercation, having a small mind and a filthy mouth does not justify being chased after with a knife.

Bartonium 6 years, 9 months ago

Racism is alive and well in America...

50.9% of all murders and 56% of all armed robberies are committed by one group that makes up only 13% of the population.

As for racism, its ugliest manifestation is in interracial crime, and especially interracial crimes of violence. While white criminals choose black victims 3 percent of the time, black criminals choose white victims 45 percent of the time.

Black-on-white rapes are 100 times more common than the reverse and black-on-white robberies were 139 times as common in the first three years of this decade as the reverse.

Let's all work together to eradicate racism.

Bartonium 6 years, 9 months ago

sbvor,

I believe 28% refers to the percentage of total crimes not of population makeup. For the population information, you must go to

where it states that the black population is approx. 37 Million or 12.7% of the 299M estimated in the 2006 US Census Community Survey.

424now 6 years, 9 months ago

It is a statement as to what these men were taught.

First, the white biggots were raised here. Someone thought it was proper to teach them to single out and hate anyone who doesn't look like they do. I am sure their hatred of anyone of color is just the tip of that iceberg.

Second, The young Black man has it in his head that there are people who hate him just because he's black. The sad fact is he is right. This is reinforced by an ignorant and dangerous few. So much so that a violent responce is what he thought would deter a racist assault.

How long is it going to take? How long before ignorance and fear are replaced with tolerance and understanding.

Bloggy is right. Speak up! Speak out! We do not condon racism! We will not accept it! We will stop it.

Educate your children. Expose your kids to kids that don't look like they do. Encourage a willingness to listen and learn. Take the time to explain to your children that a human being is to judged by their actions, not their skin color, religion, ethnicity or social strata.

Take the time to meditate on your own racial bias.

Look at it objectively.

We could all learn a thing or two about tolerance

424now 6 years, 9 months ago

sbvor,

No I wasn't present and have no first hand knowledge, I took the story at face value and commented on that. My previous experiences with ignorance may have colored my responce. I still think I might have it straight but for the sake of debate I'll hold further comment untill such time as facts are presented.

bandmama 6 years, 9 months ago

tolerance of racism in any form is wrong. Growing up in red neck country, I can honestly say that I am very glad to be here in the valley. It is, for the most part a good place, with good people. It is a shame, with all the good things that our community does for one another, that instances such as this and other (ahh-hmmm Randall) instances taint the opinions of many. On the other hand, events like this are a good learning tool for all of us to stand up and not to be afraid to point fingers at dumb people and to hold them accountable to the fullest extent of the laws........AND FOLLOW THROUGH WITHOUT PLEA BARGAINS...as happens so often.

dave reynolds 6 years, 9 months ago

when my daughter was five she made friends with some African Americans..one day she asked me why they were different I told they are not they are just like you and me..only there skin is different..they are still friends today..she is 13...please people respect each other

spukomy 6 years, 9 months ago

There haven't been any arrests, so I wouldn't count on a trial yet. The guy with the knife is a seasonal Ski Corp employee from Jamaica and the three guys are tourists from Texas. It's not to hard to figure out how this went down.

justice4all 6 years, 9 months ago

A few weeks ago Randal Nelson spent over $40,000.00 in legal fees to prove his innocence. Why was the one that started the whole incident not charged with a "racially motivated hate crime"? If this was not a race issue, what was it? This is just another situation where our DA is not consistant in her administration of justice. Wonder what will happen in this case.

spukomy 6 years, 9 months ago

sbvor, Boy are you offbase. I don't think all Texans are racists, such all-inclusive statements are ridiculous. I have lived in the South, in N.C.. I have lived in the Southwest, So CA.. I wasn't even considering a race card, that was you. Only a staunch right-wing extremist would consider me liberal. I do share a couple of their thoughts, but for the most part I am right of center.

Let's see what you got right. I am from the Northeast.

Oh, and that last paragraph was priceless. I guess you can speak to all of the South and Northeast racism since you are the authority, with or without a link. And, you're right, all your black friends that would rather get stabbed in the front than the back should stay in Atlanta.

Now back to what I meant by saying "it's not hard to figure out how this went down". Dollars to donuts, the Jamaican was minding his own buisness, heading home. I can't remember the last time I saw a Jamacian sitting in a bar, drinking, unless it was a shifter from the restraunt they worked at. Same bet the Texans were drinking at a bar downtown. And they are obviously racists. The reason I'm thinking the Texans caused the problem is I have seen more than enough 20-30 year old Texan male tourists fighting here while on vaction. It happened again outside of Lupos 2 weeks ago. 10 Texans beating on one local. I can't make the same claim about any other single demographic.

Ja Love.

MtnWarlock 6 years, 9 months ago

I wish the world were color blind! As for Texas, I can tell you that the commercial states; Texas is a whole other country, is a truth! The joke about Texans was; what if you took all the redneck out of a Texan.....his boots would be in his hat! I lived there for a while when I was in the military! I served with ethnic diversity. The race cards were not played too much in the unit because, the same guy you prejudiced for color, may have to cover your hinder in a gun battle! Besides, you can't see colors when your life or your team members lives are in the line of hostel fire.

Bartonium 6 years, 9 months ago

Stop hating America... it only proves your enormous ignorance.

Bartonium 6 years, 9 months ago

sbvor,

While I admire the "MLK" approach and would relish the opportunity to judge everyone on the content of their character ... unfortunately, the "numbers" NEVER lie.

The 800 lb. gorilla in the room is the ridiculous one-way crime afflicting white Americans. Any and all can try to

another_local 6 years, 9 months ago

Some of these comments reflect a new low for comments on these forums. Particularly, giving voice to the unsupported racist generalizations that devalue the individual are hurtful to our community and to the neccessary effort of our community and nation to get along.

I like the comment I heard attributed to Mark Twain: Depending on statistics is like a drunk leaning on a street light; it is often done more for support than for illumination.

Bart, I don't care for your views.

bolter 6 years, 9 months ago

Statistically based racism is better than ignorance-based racism, and I'm glad Bart has pointed that out for the rest of us. Just what we need---a better breed of racist. Thanks Bart, I'm glad you have raised the bar. You will be the gold standard against which all racists will be measured. Does anyone want Bart to teach our kids about race the scientific way?

ventrygirl 6 years, 9 months ago

Cheers sbvor! I have to admit that I whole-heartedly commend your comments and agree with you. Statistically substantiating racism is beyond belief. Bart-you are a racist and an idiot. Those two characteristics seem to go quite handily together.

Bartonium 6 years, 9 months ago

Bolter, Another Local, and ventry girl...

That's it ... don't let those pesky facts get in the way of your fantasy world.

And how novel of you ... when the facts do get in the way... call whoever points them out a racist... how predictably pathetic.

QuitYerWhining 6 years, 9 months ago

To refute Bartman's Neanderthal take on the world is like wrestling with a pig in the mud. Both of you get dirty and after a while you realize the pig actually enjoys it.

424now 6 years, 9 months ago

Bart,

You can generalize all you want. Walk down that scientific road pointing at differences, you will acheive just that. All chineese are short,

well exept for that basketball player...

Now you feel all different. Good for you.

MtnWarlock 6 years, 8 months ago

Bartman, Statistics are statistics. I think every person knows that the populations at the prisons have a majority inmates, who have color. One may argue that white men keep the colored men oppressed hence, creating the poor colored man! Listen to some rap or blues music! It shows in the culture of music lyrics. I have seen the prejudice in many minorities against whites as well. Hate crime laws were designed to punish "all" for racially motivated crimes! We campaign with a great diligence to have tolerance in this country. I think we need to campaign for equal respect! Then, and only then, we may ease racial tensions. And Barty, I know there must have been something in your past that attributes to your train if thought about race. Maybe someday that will heal!

bolter 6 years, 9 months ago

Bart: Why do you point to statistics if not to dress up your racism as scientific conclusion? Your post on Jamaica's productivity rate was used only to justify your followup namecalling: "parasites AT BEST...". A sophisticated racist is just a racist who is beyond rehabilitation. There may still be hope for those knuckleheads from Texas, but you......

nikobesti 6 years, 8 months ago

sbvor, I love how you throw around "blacks prefer this" and "blacks think that." Wow, I didn't know you were appointed as the representative of black America! I didn't know you surveyed all 40 million. Blacks are not a freaking monolithic entity. I'm sure every single one of the blacks that live in New York wishes they were in Atlanta. LOL! Of course, we all realize you're just looking for an excuse to bash "northeastern liberals."

spukomy 6 years, 8 months ago

The 2007 survey reflected the views of 2000 of the 40,000,000 blacks in the country. That's .00005 of them. Then, "the editors weighed the following criteria...". Doesn't sound too scientific, muchless accurate.

bandmama 6 years, 8 months ago

Now, while I DO NOT condone the racial slurs that were hurled, the article does say that the black man ran off the bus after the Texas terrorists..(opps meant tourists). Point being, if this had been self defence, ok...but after re reading the article and of course hearing local gossip, can we condone anyone running after someone and sticking a knife in them because of words?

spukomy 6 years, 8 months ago

Easy sbvor, don't blow an artery. If you think that 2000 people, of any demographic, can accurately speak for the minds of 40 million, so be it. It's my opinion that this is not reasonable.

nikobesti 6 years, 8 months ago

sbvor: None of your links prove your point that, "And, these blacks will tell you that, yes, there are still racists in the South; but, at least they're HONEST about it. Northeast 'Liberals', they say, will smile to your face and then (out of racial motivation) stab you in the back. And, blacks will tell you that there are FAR more of that sort in the Northeast than there are Southern racists."

Nice try, though. You might find someone on some website that said something like that, but that doesn't prove your point. Should I post some links where blacks in the south say they experience more racism there to prove you wrong? Of course not, that doesn't prove anything.

You're usually too smart to write something like that you can't back up. Must not have been on your game that day. Like I said, you lose a bit of your objectivity when you get a chance to throw a punch at liberals.

spukomy 6 years, 8 months ago

sbvor, My apologies, I missread the 2000 suveys for being 2000 people. Go Yankees.

MtnWarlock 6 years, 8 months ago

forreal, I have many friends from the south. They are very friendly and cordial, both black and white! You are correct in your comparison of blacks of the south with blacks else where. People in general, regardless of color, are different where ever you go. City to city, county to county, state to state, country to country! As far as the jab at politics, it has no place in this conversation. We know where GWs home is.

JLM, You are absolutely correct about bullies! That negative behavior is not needed anywhere! The fact that this man stepped off the bus and came at these bullies with a knife was wrong! Two wrongs do not make it right. The bus driver could of called the police and the black man could of pressed harassment charges. I think most would agree that, this situation should of never happened and it should of never escaladed to what it did! Since the Randal Nelson case, this blog has been busy to jump on the racial band wagon of concerns about race! And, you have a "nice" day! No Damning needed. Thank you!

forreal 6 years, 8 months ago

just so you northern misinformed ignorant people know, black people never wanted to be integrated, white people never wanted it to happen either. you can't rely on your cnn and think you know what's going on. there is so many things still going on in our very country that you have no iodea about.

forreal 6 years, 8 months ago

i'm from the south and i have to say that i'm disgusted with the perception of the south from the northerners. we always greet everyone with open arms. southern hospitality exists and it's for real. since i've been in the boat, i've heard people rag on the southerners so terribly. i'm shocked. and additionally, if you ever want to see a real black neighborhood, don't bother with new york, chicago or l.a. see a poor neighborhood in rural louisiana. i hold and cherish black friends who feel exactly the same. but you can't say black in colorado can you?

grannyrett 6 years, 8 months ago

forreal-Sure, we can say black in Colorado, and we can say colored in Arkansas and Louisiana, and we can say, "Good morning, Mr ?????. How are you this fine day" We don't need to say black-no more than we need to say white. We don't need to say colored, or anything else. Some of us were raised with manners, and don't really find a need for descriptive color names for the people we know.

forreal 6 years, 8 months ago

races will never get along. it's a nice thought and all but you'd just be spinning your wheels. it is what it is whether you accept it or not. believe it or not i'm for obama. however, we all live in the divided states of america and where do you think most of the electoral votes come from? the south. i mean, people who claim to have at least half a brain voted for bush again even after everything he did to our poor soldiers and veterans. not to mention our economy. ask george what he thinks about blacks and whites not getting along in colorado. i've got to tell you, you are getting the smallest inkling of just how alive racism is in our country. it sucks but it's so.

forreal 6 years, 8 months ago

grannyrett, i need you to understand that i'm emotional about this topic because i'm white and i lived in a rural black louisiana neighborhood and it's just that even clear up here, people are so terrible to each other. it makes me sad.

JLM 6 years, 8 months ago

There is probably no state that is as "white" as Colorado. There is probably no city within Colorado as white as SBS. Not a bad thing but a true thing.

There is probably no city which knows less about racial diversity than SBS. There is probably no city which is doing less to achieve racial diversity (which may not be a worthy or legitmate objective) than SBS.

A person who would harass another because of their physical appearance is a jerk. Three guys who would gang up on a single person are bullies. Their words may have been racially charged, but they were jerks and bullies before they opened their mouths.

A person who is harassed who would escalate things to physical danger by going after someone with a knife is at the very best lacking judgment and is perhaps acting in a criminal manner. The lack of restraint can get a person into real trouble.

Jerks, bullies and imprudent folks are not always driven solely by things racial. Sometimes they are just jerks, bullies and imprudent; and, the language they speak is racially charged. It could just have as easily have been the Longhorns v the Sooners.

I must say my sentiments are with the person who is harassed but using a knife to settle things is not smart. Not smart and obliterates the moral high ground. Sometimes you just have to walk away and let it pass. Hard to do but sometimes the right thing to do.

The bus driver should have called the police immediately.

Let's all agree that SBS does not need jerks, bullies and hot heads.

And, you have a nice damn day!

freshair 6 years, 8 months ago

Interesting....acknowledging official FBI statistics on the ratio of black crimes and black-on-white crime is the act of a 'racist.' And, Steamboat suffers from a 'lack' of diversity. Well, we certainly don't suffer from the lack of presence of a bunch of hyper-Politically Correct cultists, do we?

armchairqb 6 years, 8 months ago

In the imortal words of George Carlin --"i DON'T want to have a nice day I've had six nice days in a row and I want to have a crappy day thank you very much"