Man seriously hurt in assault

Hayden police seeking suspect who they say left scene

photo

File photo

Eduardo Gallegos-Reyes

— An assault in Hayden left a man seriously injured Monday morning, and police are searching for the suspect.

Witnesses reported that 45-year-old Jose Mendoza of Hayden was pulled from his vehicle and beaten in the 300 block of East Washington Avenue, Police Chief Ray Birch said. An arrest warrant has been issued for Eduardo Gallegos-Reyes, 47. He has been charged with first-degree assault, a Class 3 felony.

Gallegos-Reyes was described as 5 feet 7 inches tall and 180 pounds, with black-gray hair and brown eyes.

Birch said police think Gallegos-Reyes was angry because his landlord asked him to vacate his residence on Washington Avenue. Mendoza lives on the same property in a different unit, Birch said.

"Apparently, (Gallegos-Reyes) was upset about that and confronted his neighbor and initiated a verbal altercation," Birch said.

According to the arrest warrant affidavit, witnesses said Mendoza did not fight back when he was pulled from the vehicle. The suspect began hitting Mendoza with his fists, the document stated, and then Mendoza got back into the vehicle.

Gallegos-Reyes pulled him out a second time, according to the affidavit, and a witness estimated that "the suspect hit the victim with his fists six or seven times in the face." The witness reported that she left her house and called for the man to stop, at which point he left the scene.

When police arrived, they found Mendoza in his home with his wife. There was blood in the snow near the driveway, police reported, and they called for medical assistance.

Officers reported in the affidavit that Mendoza's right eye was swollen shut and that he had a golf-ball-size lump on his left forehead.

Birch said Mendoza was already blind in his left eye from a childhood accident. The incident Monday left him "practically blind" because his right eye was so swollen, Birch said.

Mendoza was taken to Yampa Valley Medical Center. He has been released.

Police had not located Gallegos-Reyes as of Tuesday afternoon. They identified him as a suspect with the help of Immigration and Customs Enforcement in Craig, which had his fingerprints and photo on file. Gallegos-Reyes was in the U.S. illegally and had been voluntarily deported back to Mexico in April 2006. Authorities said they think Gallegos-Reyes is in the country illegally.

Birch said police think Gallegos-Reyes has been in Hayden about seven months and that he has worked jobs in the area, including in Steamboat Springs.

Comments

jack legrice 6 years, 8 months ago

So Matt do you need any more conformation about these leaches? You must be living in a closet if you don't think illegals are working here. The INS should find out where this leach worked and go after the employer.

Gladys 6 years, 8 months ago

He never responds to the stories of illegals commiting crimes. Maybe he's one of the low lifes making money.

424now 6 years, 8 months ago

This piece of work was deported in 06 and is back beating his neighbors in 08! Sounds like the Immigration and Customs Enforcement in Craig new this man was there.

Why wasn't this illegal immigrant picked up before?

Was his victim an illegal immigrant also?

QuitYerWhining 6 years, 8 months ago

424now said- "Was his victim an illegal immigrant also?"

Well of course he was ...he had a latino last name right? Nothing like calling a spade a spade eh?

Gladys 6 years, 8 months ago

I actually did not assume the victim was illegal because of his name, but rather because of his actions. He did not call police and did not seek immediate medical attention. He went home.

miguel 6 years, 8 months ago

So who was Gallegos-Reyes working for in the Steamboat area?

QuitYerWhining 6 years, 8 months ago

Aaah...that's even better Gladys... his actions led you believe he was an illegal because he didn't call the police. Glad you cleared that up... you have restored my confidence that bigotry is a thing of the past.

id04sp 6 years, 8 months ago

Bigotry is a defensive mechanism used to invoke the instinct to protect one's own "group" from attack (physical, occupational, residential, economic) by another group.

Gallegos-Reyes could just as easily have majored in Philosophy at CSU and then come to town after graduation to work as a waiter or lift operator, and just stayed because he could live on his trust fund.

Right.

You Bozo.

Just because he fits a stereotype, that doesn't mean the stereotype is not accurate. Maybe he wouldn't have been stereotyped if he hadn't been deported earlier, snuck back in, and, oh yeah, BEAT SOMEBODY HALF TO DEATH WITH HIS FISTS!

Gladys 6 years, 8 months ago

whiner - sterotyping is not bigotry...nor any type of racism. If the guy (victim) had been white and named John Smith, I still would have thought something fishy if he had not called police or sought medical care after such a severe beating. Generally when someone acts that way, they have something to hide.

Stop beating the race horse - he is dead. Bozo indeed.

QuitYerWhining 6 years, 8 months ago

Gladys wrote- "stereotyping is not bigotry...nor any type of racism"... Thanks for that clarification.... thank you for sharing your sterilized version of "bigotry":this speaks for itself.

ids04sp- whoa settle down there spunky...before you go off all half cocked you might want to read the previous posts and "inform yourself" that this discussion is about the victim not the perpetrator

OnTheBusGus 6 years, 8 months ago

From the ever helpful Wikipedia: A stereotype is a simplified and/or standardized conception or image with specific meaning, often held in common by one group of people about another group. A stereotype can be a conventional and oversimplified conception, opinion, or image, based on the assumption that there are attributes that members of the other group hold in common. Stereotypes may be positive or negative in tone. They are typically generalizations based on minimal or limited knowledge about a group to which the person doing the stereotyping does not belong. Persons may be grouped based on racial group, ethnicity, religion, sexual orientation, or any number of other categories.

Mexican Americans and Asian Americans are typically seen within a very fixed, rigid framework. Since Mexican Americans, like other Hispanics, have traditionally been immigrants to the United States for the purpose of doing agricultural work, they were often seen as inferior and dispensable [1]. Even now, the stereotypes of Mexican Americans revolve around this idea of desperate laborers, many of whom struggle with speaking English, flocking to the United States illegally to work.

panda 6 years, 8 months ago

I have to commend Matt (kielbasa) for stating his views and not standing behind some anonymous name. That is something that should be respected.

panda 6 years, 8 months ago

see first 2 posts. and see other "illegal alien issues" talked about on other threads.

Matthew Stoddard 6 years, 8 months ago

Okay, Gladys- you want me to comment? Show me where I said "No illegals are working in Steamboat." All I've ever said is that I have no need to automatically assume someone is illegal based on their race or name.

You even just said you didn't assume he was illegal because of his name, but because of his action. Were the Texans illegals because THEY didn't call the cops after stabbing a guy? Maybe the man stabbed was illegal because he ran after them instead of seeking medical attention? Does that fit your "profiling?"

As for my being a lowlifes making money (off illegals, is most likely what you meant to say)...come put your accusation where your money is. I can PROVE I don't make money off illegals...why? Because my name is out there in the open, unlike yourself.

Nothing like throwing blame anonymously to maybe hide your own actions, eh? Throw them off your track? Maybe I can have a couple officer friends do some digging on you. I've already found Bore's identity easily. What's one more person? If you have nothing to hide (as you stated in the other thread) why are you anonymous here?

424now 6 years, 8 months ago

Because it allows a person to say what they will with little or no fear of reprisal. This is a small town. Step on someone's toes and they tend to remember.

The anonymous nature of the forum is in itself conducive to honest open debate. Yes there will be people who use this forum to postulate and vainly attempt to control opinion, however their will always be participants with opposing views that will quickly come to point them out.

Matt,

You choose to make your identity know that is your choice. It is not a fault in any of the majority of the members of this forum who chose to do so with a pen name. It is our choice. We are no less participants in the conversation than you simply because you choose to sign your name to a placard and wear it around your neck like a message board.

Matthew Stoddard 6 years, 8 months ago

Yep! Nothing more satisfying than putting a bag full of flaming crap on your neighbor's doorstep, all the while expressing anguish to that neighbor that someone could ever do such a horrid thing.

Illegals hide for a reason, at least. And you go on to defend a person saying I most likely make money off of hiring illegals. That's not an opposing view; it's libel. Last time I looked, people get sued for it. Even Bore said "someone" should sue me, for outting him. Good job, 424! Stand up for white collar crime while debasing immigration crimes.

outsiderlookingin 6 years, 8 months ago

THere they go again--- Blaming the employer!!! I may be my brothers keeper as they say in the bible but I don't work for the INS Shouldn't be my job to oust the illegals. just my job to hire people who want to work, get the job done and pay the proper taxes!!!!

424now 6 years, 8 months ago

Matt,

I happen to agree with most of your post. It is the insinuation of your pet peeve I will counterpoint.

Out of every member on this site how many have identified themselves? Might it be that the majority prefer to be anonymous? If you want a site where all participants are identified by rank and file, go build one. I wonder who would join that cliquish little club. The SP&T site seems to be fairly popular. I suspect a majority prefer it this way.

Matthew Stoddard 6 years, 8 months ago

Might that be due to the fantasy of being unrestrained where rules don't apply as they do in real life? It sounds funny since these same people want illegals documented, but come here to bitch about it and can't/won't prove their own citizenship. One person hiding while wanting to get rid of the other people hiding. Sounds pretty irrational, to me.

424now 6 years, 8 months ago

Matt,

Lol

Ok, point taken

but! (There is always one off those.)

This is an anonymous forum. It is a place to postulate ideas with people that you might not normally socialize with. A place where no matter what your economic standing you will be heard. Your race, religion, weight, political choices, etc... don't carry weight in here. Your ideas do. You can say what you feel and if your feelings are misguiding you decisions, in here, someone will point that out. Unless the comment is deleted. I see no fault in my anonymity. You however draw some kind of inference that what you say is more logically correct simply because we know your name.

By the way,

It might not be my Espagnol that is fancy, it could be my English.

Que no?

Matthew Stoddard 6 years, 8 months ago

Also, no- I don't say what I put down is logically more correct. I put down that I can prove my personal experiences when other can't, because my name is known. That's where anonymity is at fault.

justathought 6 years, 8 months ago

I have to say, I've been on a jury where someone stated his personal experience under oath and even though I knew his name, I still believe he was full if **it. Other than public records, "personal experiences" can't necessarily be proven. Personally, I don't care who you are nor what you feel you need to prove because as 424 states "Your race, religion, weight, political choices, etc... don't carry weight in here. Your ideas do." Kielbasa you don't need to defend your "I am the man and I can prove it because I told you who I am" babble, some of us just don't happen to agree with your reasoning. BTW, I also "want illegals documented" and kielbasa, if I am one, I hope I get caught and deported.

Matthew Stoddard 6 years, 8 months ago

That's fine, but making money off illegals is a crime, correct? So Gladys just accused me of a crime anonymously. You're okay with people doing that with no repercussion based on unfounded statements?

You okay with me saying, "I know justathought personally and he's listed as a sex offender." You're cool with that, right?

colobob 6 years, 8 months ago

This comment isn't for anyone inparticular, it should apply to all of us. It's plain, it's simple, and it's an adult way of thinking. "two wrongs don't make a right!" Let your conscience be your guide.

justathought 6 years, 8 months ago

kielbasa, helluva difference between Gladys saying MAYBE he's one and you saying I KNOW he is.

Matthew Stoddard 6 years, 8 months ago

Either way, it's puts a thought in someone's mind and it's an unproven allegation to something illegal. An accusation is still an accusation.

It was the same thing with people saying Kevin Nerney was supplying roofies. "They" (the anonymous posters) knew it for a "fact"...but no charges or anything I heard about that it involved specifically him. It's character assassination and when it's here in print, it's libel.

But you're okay with Gladys making that kind of speculation on people, either anonymous or not, without proof or repercussion?

oldskoolstmbt 6 years, 8 months ago

outsider- are you kidding me? so your saying since you don't work for the INS, it's ok for you to hire illegal's????

424now 6 years, 8 months ago

Matt,

We will simply have to dissagree on the way you use your identity as an argument mallet. You see it your way and I don't so, nuff said on that.

The character assasination comment bears weight under scrutiny. As an anonymous poster it is not my right to attack another human being simply because I feel he is in the wrong or simply do not like the person. To state unequivically that someone did somthing specific is wrong and liable

However,

There is no crime in my suggesting the possibility. To say you did something wrong and to say I think you could have done something wrong but I have no proof are two different things.

Yes it is symantics but your the one who brought up litegation.

In these letigeous times anything can be construed as a damaging action. You could take me to court but how far would a complaint against my suggesting the possibility of a crime go?

outsiderlookingin 6 years, 8 months ago

Why should it be my job to look into the background of those I might hire? 1-Is this person going to steal from me or my business? 2- is this person going to show up on time and not be hung over or stoned? 3- does this person have the skills required to perform the tasks required? As a personel director if I know this person stole from his/her last job is it my job or a requirement to society to arrest him/her or report them to the proper authorities ? no if just won't hire that person. Should I escort (at my companies expense) every illegal who comes looking for a job to the nearest border? I think not.

QuitYerWhining 6 years, 8 months ago

Outsider- If you are trying to justify why you hire illegal aliens you are doing a really crappy job. By law you are required to have each and every employee fill out a W-4. There is a requirement for them to provide a Social Security number which you should verify for everyone. Dont feed us this tripe that you have to do some extensive back ground check on everyone. If they cant provide a valid SS# then they should not have a problem producing a work visa. No documentation... no work.

outsiderlookingin 6 years, 8 months ago

Whiner -- look at the original post. Quote "pay the proper taxes" You think illegals don't have fake SS#'s now you want me to work for the Social Security System and the Forgery bureau of the FBI. heck I live in STmbt I already have 3 jobs how many more?

QuitYerWhining 6 years, 8 months ago

Give it rest Outsider...you are looking for any excuse to justify hiring illegals.......its always someone elses fault right?

oldskoolstmbt 6 years, 8 months ago

qyw- thank you outsider-no one expects you to drive the illegals to the border, enough drama! there are MANY ways as an employer to abide by the laws and not hire illegal immigrants...yes, it does take a few extra steps, but protecting your company should be more important than saving a few bucks and hiring cheap labor.

424now 6 years, 8 months ago

Well put oldskool,

Illegal immigrants by and large are decent people. Unfortunately, they broke the law in coming here illegally. They have been trained that getting to America Legally is difficult or impossible. We need to change that thinking. First we need to stop all employment of illegal immigrants in the U.S.

The immigrant work force is useful. Let's legitimize their presence in America.

We need to shore up our borders in order to provide a secure place for our children to live and grow up in. The necessary result is that illegal immigrants will have to be repatriated. After that they can return legally if they so choose. We as a nation need to take that (its easier to go to America illegally than legally) carrot away. The southern border is heavily crossed. The northern boarder needs to be addressed also. It is not banditos I am worried about, its dirty nuclear weapons. We need to sit down with the corrupt government of Mexico and insist on a workable visa and boarder program. Give all the illegal immigrants an opportunity to voluntarily repatriate. We could start the legal application for documents at the time of repatriation and in this process eliminate the undesirable elements of that population simply by denying them a visa.

No other country on earth allows as much unfettered access through their borders as America does. We need accountability for all the visa workers in the U.S. They need to pay their way. There dues can be collected from the wages they are paid. It's simple, we can't continue along this path of apathy. The world we live in has raised the bar as to the threat. We need top raise the bar as to our deterents.

freshair 6 years, 8 months ago

A growing body of research confirms what those who have lived long enough lives with the multitude of experience which that brings, already know--- that in many real-life situations, stereotypes accurately capture cultural or group differences. One of the first scholarly research books to affirm this was 'Stereotype Accuracy: Toward Appreciating Group Differences (1995, American Psychological Association, Washington, D.C.).

Stereotypes are generalizations. That means they are approximately true statements, omitting the nuance and detail of comprehensive and individual description. We need generalizations to make communication efficient, and sometimes a very rough idea is all that is needed.

Stereotypes are a special class of generalizations, usually thought of as being negative, biased, and based on insufficient evidence. But they can also be overly positive and well grounded in experience.

forreal 6 years, 8 months ago

anyone that hires an illegal to do anything in this country should be beaten within an inch of their life. these people are not decent people. they are scabs. they are here to exploit our country and because of how incompitent our government is, they have the freedom to do so. and they will continue to do so. legal immigrants are more than welcome. everyone else can come in the right way or go to hell. you know why it's easy and possible for legal first time mexicans to come into this country( the right way ); it's because they weren't deported yet as a result of their criminal behavior. it's pretty black and white when you research it.

424now 6 years, 8 months ago

Fresh air I believe Lenny Bruce took that one to heart.

ventrygirl 6 years, 8 months ago

svbor-Amen to that! forreal-are you a member of the John Birch Society?

curmudgeon 6 years, 8 months ago

4real...just gotta tell ya something here now. To be beaten to an inch of their life...man...that's gotta suck...know what I mean? Don't know ya or anywhats...but...4real...I feel rather compelled to give ya some advice...only cuz I luv ya though...but...whenever you reflect thoughts bouts stupid people:always:always:try to make spelling a key:especially when you choose to use the word incompetent. Inch of their life:now that's gotta suck.

QuitYerWhining 6 years, 8 months ago

I know I said I had Bore on "ignore" mode...and while I still do... I gotta admit it is very amusing to watch him/her converse with him/herself through his/her various alter egos like a cyber version of Sybil...or is it Cyberil?...too funny

forreal 6 years, 8 months ago

curmudgeon, please don't make this into a grammar lesson. the matter at hand is far too important. and i'm not talking about stupid people. these people know exactly what they're doing. and the poor man in hayden was beaten within an inch of his life from a previously deported illegal mexican. i may be moody but i feel i'm right.

outsiderlookingin 6 years, 8 months ago

Forreal---Illegals are scabs? Perhaps I agree, so does that mean if you hire someone you automatically pay them union scale? no wait Colo. is a non union state and an at will state( you can be fired at will without cause) So pay some local schlep half what he's worth keep the profits yourself and when he does a lousy job just fire him. no wonder the rich get richer and the poor still need housing. Bring back Jimmy Hoffa and the illegals will go away because the unions won't allow it!!!

another_local 6 years, 8 months ago

Outsider. You are part of the problem. I can tell you that if I am aware of a place of business that hires illegals I will not do business there. That goes for restaurants, contractors or watever. When more people vote their dollars maybe irresponsible people will stop breaking the law for their own benefit... because that what it comes down to doesn't it?

Check ID, fill out the W-4, report wages and SS numbers. If an employee fools you with a fake SS number so be it, but I can tell you that when I have reported a wrong SS number (did not match the name) through a typo, I heard back from the gov't within a month. It is not that hard.

oldskoolstmbt 6 years, 8 months ago

outsider...an easier way for illegals not to stay or to give them a message before they even attempt to come here: DON"T HIRE THEM! our insurance company runs driver's licenses to see if they're valid, what kind of record, etc....and yes, this costs money, but we also get a break on our insurance rate...MANY ways not to hire them

bandmama 6 years, 8 months ago

Gee, just cant help but think of the native american tribes so many many years ago, I wonder if these modern illegal immigrants will figure out how we got away with coming to a land that did not belong to us, that we "had no right" to come to, to better our lives and the lives of our families in a land promise? I am pretty sure that none of us had visas or passed the local citizen exam then, hmmmmmmmmmmm..... How about this one to think of, those that do work with false records, they are paying taxes that will never be used for themselves, just goes into the joint kitty cache....... Or, here is an interesting thought, why not have an INS employee at every possible source of employment to verify that we are ALL here legally? OR, maybe some of us could remember that technically, we are all immigrants and unless we are decendants of a native tribe, not a single one of us "belong" here. hmmmmmmmmmmm..... Now, for the point at hand,as for the dickweed that beat someone nearly to death, I personally dont give a rats ass where he is from. He is a violent person with a somewhat shady past that is not wanted in the valley. Maybe we should think of that issue, not just where he came from. There are lots of white folks who are violent as well. Instead of a nice debate over illegal immigration, how about a nice debate over the lack of stiff sentences for violent repeat offenders?

QuitYerWhining 6 years, 8 months ago

The current scientific belief based on DNA analysis is that there really wasn't any "Native Americans". Native Americans are believed to be descendants of Paleo-Americans who may have migrated from Asia via a land bridge ,Beringia, in what is currently the Bering Strait. There is a postulation that South America was inhabited by indigenous people before that but no evidence exists. If the second postulation is correct then technically the first Americans were then ancestors of the current Mexicans. To digress a bit: a Mexican by definition is part Inca, Aztec or Mayan (or other "native" peoples) descent and part Spaniard. All of this is really superfluous because all scientific evidence indicates that we are all descendants from Africa anyway. Mama Africa!... Now to really digress:if God made us in his own likeness:.does God look like Lou Rawls?: that would be cool:especially if he can sing like him!

bandmama 6 years, 8 months ago

quityerwhining- Here Here!!!!
I believe latest data also suggests that most of us came from the same maternal ancestors... we all be brothers.....

forreal 6 years, 8 months ago

indians; (or as terrified people like to say)-native americans are as nauseating as mexicans or blacks. if not worse. not to mention whites. we will always be nauseating to each other because races will never get along. we were all thrown into this world like everybody else. we did not ask for this. all we can do is try to live a happy life. and all these indians, mexicans and blacks who think we owe them something... BOO HOO. in short, get a life.

bandmama 6 years, 8 months ago

forreal- you know, I dont even think that deserves a response. I think you totally missed the point. Surprise! sbvor-thanks for the links.

424now 6 years, 8 months ago

sbvor

Didn't the human genome project track a path from africa through the middle east, europe, asia, (bering straight) to Northern America?

Mama; agreed

QYW,

The earth shakes and a voice comes from the heavans,

You'll never find another love like mine, someone who loves you like I do.

424now 6 years, 8 months ago

This is the theory I was referring to,

Re: The clovis find in the north east,

There is the posibility that the migration was in a horizontal line from the Bering straight to New England.

Thinking of the end of an Ice age with considerably more of the earth's water tied up in ice. Ergo lower global sea levels leave open several possibilities as to the populating of North America.

The potential for Homo-sapiens to have mastered long distance seafaring 17,000 years ago exists however remote to the current way of thinking. The evolutionary timeline leaves open the potential, through their mental capacity, of our ancestors to have at least begun a rudimentary exploration of severely diminished seas.

424now 6 years, 8 months ago

If only probabilities were as common as possibilities

424now 6 years, 8 months ago

In those moments when I consider the human civilazation of 17,000 years ago, the misty fog that obscures the long past starts to temp my mind with those possibilities. I have a question for you. First lets take this timeline as an example,

In this example the earliest Homo-Sapiens appeared 195,000 years in the past.

195,000 years, that is a very long time.

Considering the advent of our current civilization was possibly the Natufian Culture with Radiocarbon dates of 14,50011,500 BP place this culture just before the end of the Pleistocene. Oldest possible date in that little guesstimate is 14,500 years ago. We have fossil evidence of human beigs with the same genetic makeup as the current version of humans as old as 150,000 years ago. Y chromosonal Adam lived 60,000 years ago.

Now to my alluded question.

How many times could man have possibly attained scientific prowess and flourished only to be beat down into the stone age to beggin his assent again?