Brent Boyer: From the newsstand to the laptop

Brent Boyer

Contact Editor Brent Boyer at 871-4221 or e-mail bboyer@SteamboatToday.com.

— The numbers don't lie. Online newspaper readership is increasing across the country, and that's certainly the case here in Routt County.

I continue to be amazed at the number of residents who tell me they supplement their print edition of the Steamboat Today with the online version. There's also a growing number of readers who no longer pick up a print copy; they get their local news exclusively from Steamboatpilot.com. A recent market survey backs up my anecdotal evidence.

Of 400 respondents to a survey we conducted last fall, 45 percent said they read only the print version of the Today. Almost 50 percent said they read both the online and print editions, and just less than 6 percent said they read the online version only.

Almost one-quarter of the respondents said they visit Steamboatpilot.com daily. Seventeen percent visit three or four times a week, and 11 percent visit the site weekly. Almost half of the people who said they visit the site at least monthly report that one other member of their household also is a frequent user of Steamboatpilot.com.

I suppose none of these statistics should be too surprising. The Internet plays an important part in many of our lives. We value its ability to provide the information we want, when we want it and how we want it. If a Web site fails to deliver what we're looking for, we simply move on to the next one. Throughout time, we develop Internet-surfing habits that lead us from one favorite site to the next. But we're also finicky. If we don't find something new or exciting, we push on.

For example: I'm a sports fan, and I usually check in with ESPN.com several times a day for sports news. If I visit the site at 1 p.m. and the featured stories are the same ones that were on ESPN.com at 9 a.m., I either close my Internet browser or move on to another Web site. I've already seen what is there, so there's nothing to keep me interested.

I assume visitors to Steamboatpilot.com behave much the same way, with one notable difference - many readers enjoy viewing the comments other users post to the bottom of our stories. Beyond that, it's up to me and my staff to keep the content on our site fresh, so visitors who log on multiple times a day find new stories, photos and other features to capture their interest.

We often fail to live up to that goal. But aided by the content-sharing agreements we now have in place with several other newspapers (see my From the Editor column from March 13 for more about those agreements), we suddenly have a wealth of new, fresh content we can post to our site. Just like my belief that readers are interested in reading about other mountain communities in our print edition, I imagine you would be happy to see those articles on our Web site as well.

Are my assumptions correct? What do you want to see on Steamboatpilot.com in addition to more local news stories produced by our reporters?

I want to make the newspaper's Web site a must-stop Internet destination for residents. Your feedback is welcome and encouraged. I can be reached at (970) 871-4221 or bboyer@steamboatpilot.com.

From the Editor appears Thursdays in the Steamboat Today.

Comments

QuitYerWhining 6 years, 5 months ago

Welcome to the guppie club Jazzy ole boy!....lol Hook Line and sinker........

BoatMaster 6 years, 5 months ago

I agree with WZ

I would love the full edition on pdf.

WZ 6 years, 5 months ago

"What do you want to see on Steamboatpilot.com in addition to more local news stories produced by our reporters?"

Simple; The full, electronic PDF version of the printed version, not just the cover.

Why guess and/or ask what the users want to see?! Just show them everything! It's quick and easy to do. It can even be automated using the Mac OS from generating the PDF's to uploading them to your server.

Make the entire daily issue available as one, downloadable linked file.

Give the user choices as well.

Make each page individually downloadable through a fingernail page list view.

Make sure the PDF files you publish on line remain text searchable. That is an incredibly useful and powerful feature.

stompk 6 years, 5 months ago

Brent, I for one appreciate you asking the public opinion.

Both online and paper are equally important, in different venues.

I would like to see an archive created, maybe with scans of old newspaper articles. I've been in the vault of old newspapers, so I know you got em.

weststmbtres 6 years, 5 months ago

id04sp

What the heck are you talking about. 50MB is a huge image and I agree that it's not feasable solution for dial up users.

However, if I had I have a 50MB document I want to download. I click on it and let me PC work at it for ten minutes and then read it once the dowload completes. That seems pretty easy to me. Let the computer do the work.

Or if I'm a glutton for punishment, I use your method and divide the document into One hundred 500KB docs and make the user waste their time clicking on one hundred separate links to download it. Option 1 seems like a better use of my time.

justathought 6 years, 5 months ago

Boyer, surely you are not surprised that internet reading has become so popular, it's not like you have home delivery. Look outside, much easier and warmer to grab that cup of coffee and sit down at the computer to get the news and weather, especially for those that do not live within walking distance of one of your paper outlets. On line = convenience and I know a lot more people with computers than without.

steamboater 6 years, 5 months ago

I agree with the others - I want a full version but I think in order to make it a successful venture for the paper you should actually do a DAILY email blast to your subscribers. Instead of a pdf, make the email blast an HTML version of the first page of the paper, then readers can click on the stories and a main link and it will take them to your website for the FULL HTML version. This will give readers exposure to your advertisers as well as to the content.

This isn't rocket science here, sign up with a major email blast service and start providing readers what they want - and save a bunch of trees in the process.

id04sp 6 years, 5 months ago

You cannot print "daily circulation" statements to support advertising rates unless you require a subscription. I subscribe to the electronic version of the Denver Post ($2.50 per month) and would gladly pay that for the Pilot and Today full versions online.

Brent Boyer 6 years, 5 months ago

sbvor: We will not print a correction. Any additional posts on this matter will be deleted.

Brent Boyer Editor, Steamboat Pilot & Today

corduroy 6 years, 5 months ago

you people don't realize how large the file size of a PDF of the entire newspaper.. they tried it, it was at least 50 MB, dialup users can't do it, half the DSL users can't download it, it is TOO BIG, just go pick one up, they are all over town and surrounding towns too

If they made a pdf version you would need around 1 MB connection to actually download it in a timely manner.. remember, there are still many people who cannot afford or cannot get high speed in their area, dialup is still with us!

JazzSlave 6 years, 5 months ago

Brent -

Does your edict apply only to sbvor, or to all parties to the discussion?

Is it limited to sbvor's insistence upon a correction, or does it extend to all discussions of the economy in general and/or recession in particular?

armchairqb 6 years, 5 months ago

online is good --- good thing this paper is free because I can't see anyone paying for it.

id04sp 6 years, 5 months ago

The key to PDF files is to have an interface program where each page is a PDF and you download them ONE AT A TIME.

Token 6 years, 5 months ago

you guys sure all spend alot of time on this lousy paper.

Matthew Stoddard 6 years, 5 months ago

LOL @ Bore! Uh-oh! This will get deleted since it pertains to laughing at the Vigil Idiot! LMAO!!!

contrarian 6 years, 5 months ago

sbvor, If you wonder why you are on the verge of being banned I suggest you walk away from your computer for all of an hour and when you return sit down and do two things. 1) Count the number of times you have posted on numerous threads your rude (constant use of the cap key) and childish demands that the paper, in the person of the editor, dance to your tune. 2) Re-read each and every one of those posts (which at this point would take hours) objectively and ask yourself how you would react to someone who behaves as you do on this site. Frankly, and I mean this in all seriousness, a psychiatrist would have a field day with your obsessive behavior as exhibited on this web site. The fact that you sign off on your note to the editor with the salutation, Respectfully, is pathetic beyond belief. You don't act respectfully to anyone on this site. You act like an impetuous 5 year-old spoiled brat that screams for hours on end hoping Mommy will give in to your every insignificant, self-centered demand. Grow up. Everybody got your point the first 25 times you posted it. Move on to other issues. Behave in a civil and constructive manner and knock of the name calling. Given legal actions currently underway against a number of web sites across the country for not policing bloggers like you, the editor would be well advised to remove you from the forum. And since you were removed as Average Joe by the prior editor and since the growing body of law will require the editor to identify you (somewhat a moot point as many of us know who you are) should a complaint be filed for your constant slandering of anyone who disagrees with you, you would be well advised to comport yourself as one who has pushed the envelope to the point that some of us are so fed up were prepared to do something about it. This may come as a shock to a meglomaniac like you, but there is more than one view on any and every issue you harp and harp and harp upon over and over and over again. That's it. I'm done. From here on out when you shout, name call, and waste forum space by posting the same post dozens of time I will request the editor remove the posts and/or remove you permanently from the forum. The forum is a community resource. Not your monopoly. If you want to repeat the same sentence, phrase, paragraph and post over and over and over start your own blog. In fact, ths site here has a page where you can start your own blog. Have at it. But knock off the nonsense because the rest of us are attempting to have civilized discourse with others who can act in a civilized fashion - unlike you.

Brent Boyer 6 years, 5 months ago

Jazz Slave: I welcome and encourage original, thoughtful posts on the economy, the 'r' word and most any other topic. Repeated copy-and-paste posts, however, are a nuisance to forum participants and do nothing to further the discussion. My post referred specifically to sbvor.

Brent Boyer Editor, Steamboat Pilot & Today

contrarian 6 years, 5 months ago

"Repeated copy-and-paste posts, however, are a nuisance to forum participants and do nothing to further the discussion."

I suspect the average 7 year-old would understand that as the reason behind the decision.

contrarian 6 years, 5 months ago

Just like a child, you try again to goad the editor into responding to your demand. If the editor does so, it will only serve to encourage you to act the same way next time. As a parent disciplines a spoiled child through ignoring selfish demands, the editor would be well-advised to ignore you.

Matthew Stoddard 6 years, 5 months ago

"Here, son. Take this red, picnic cloth & and Halloween Superman cape over to your mom. You'll have take it thru that arena of bulls, though. Watch out...it windy, too."

BoatMaster 6 years, 5 months ago

Sbvor

This is a forum for discussion not a forum for freaks like yourself. This is not called the Sbvor Forum,, Get a clue!!

If you want to rant on.. then create your own forum and do want you want. Why do you think this is YOUR place on the internet and everyone else is wrong. "www.sbvoristheonlyrightpersonontheinternet.com"

To everyone else... this sbvor I think is very unstable and possibly could be dangerous as other internet freaks have been proven to be over time. www.iamainternetfreak.com

As a favor to the citizens,,, Brent Boyer I support you getting rid of a destructive and non positive person as Sbvor on this forum.

To Sbvor, sometimes you actually make sense but you cloud your comments by being so socially unfit. If you really want to make a difference from your comments then take a different approach, unfortunately I am sure you do not know how to do so.

Sbvor, bring on the nasty comments about my post and the wonderful links. I CANT WAIT.

BoatMaster 6 years, 5 months ago

To Mathew Stoddard (Kielbasa)

I will give you $100.00 to post who Sbvor is on here.

I know you know from prevouls posts!! :)

Maybe it will quiet him down !!

Matthew Stoddard 6 years, 5 months ago

I don't know: if I scare the Bore away, I can't have as much fun! Honestly, (patting myself on the back) I've never considered myself a writer, but the Bore give me great shizznit to work with! LOL!

You'd think for someone who tries to act so damn smart, you'd see it coming. Lord knows how many times I've pulled the equivalent of the "crows in the Windex commercial" ploy and it still works. Even a dog eventually catches on that you don't actually throw the ball when you pretend to. It's sad... in a funny kind of way!

It almost feels like Cartman with the alien dish up his rear and Kyle has to be the one to stick his finger in there to push the button on the "Earth" reality show episode...and Cartman keeps farting each time.

Well, repetition is the only thing Pavlov's Bore understands. "Ring my be-ee-eeelllll, ring my Bell! (My bell, ring my bell)- Anita Ward

Matthew Stoddard 6 years, 5 months ago

Thanks for shoring that up. You've been advancing my cause quite nicely. To think that you are your own worst enemy...too much!! To bad you wit is less than most...wit-less...get it??

"If Pavlov's Dog understood the game far better than Pavlov..." And as I've said before: IF you had a wheel, you'd be a wheelbarrow. Keep up the material for me! To paraphrase "Young Guns,"..."You'll make me famous!" LMAO!!!!

steamboatsconscience 6 years, 5 months ago

bore HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!! take my suggestion. soapbox Post Office hat on ground for donations you might get someone to listen

grannyrett 6 years, 5 months ago

Well Guys, It would really be great if we could just come here and voice our opinions. It's too bad there has to be a link to back up everything you feel. If I want to make the earth a better place for my kids and grandkids, I get sbvor yelling about the phony global warming crisis. It's getting to be that sbvor should be a poster child for retroactive abortions. Good Lord sbvor! GIVE IT A REST! Every story, every discussion, every thing on this forum has to be about you and your million and two links. I think spring is around the corner-no, I don't have a link to back up my statement. I think it's been a great snowy winter-no, I will not provide a link to back that. I think we all would like more of the printed paper available on the internet-no I don't have a link for that either. I really like having the temp at the top of the page. And Matt-sbvor doesn't need you to egg him on. He treats us all the same way. We are all wrong and he must be God. He seems to know all, see all, and we should all bow down and kiss his a??. He just makes me tired, and no, sbvor, I don't have a link for that either. I am so tired on the ranting about all this stuff, I just may hit the remove button myself. And now, I can't get my spell check to work, and I'm just at a point I really don't care.

JazzSlave 6 years, 5 months ago

You all proclaim how irrelevant sbvor is, and yet you respond to everything he has to say to the tune of 1,335 words in this thread alone.

1,335. To illustrate the insignificant. LOMuthaFreakinL!

While I don't always agree with sbvor, his Pavlov analogue couldn't be more appropriate. Way to take the bait, guppies! It's a good thing Brent is here to save you from yourselves.

Matthew Stoddard 6 years, 5 months ago

Jazz- Baghdad Bob was irrelevant, yet how many people had to discount what he said, also...mostly for a laugh?

steamboatsconscience 6 years, 5 months ago

jazz think you got it backwards why dont you count the number of POSTS that bore has responded to the bait that myself, kielbasa, contrarian, SilverSpoon, dogd, etc. have given to him that he has so willingly taken so he can spout his venom and derision upon us. as kiel said we do it for entertainment, he does it to impress himself and his immense ego, cause he isnt impressing any one else (except you I guess). those of us who have opposing views (the majority so it seems) respond because we are trying to show the other side of the coin, and bore's answer is to repeat the same things over and over and over (kind of like Chinese water torture) until people give up and he thinks he has won. you have to agree that his rants i.e. "PRINT A CORRECTION" are at a minimum childish and at worst bordering on mental. you would think that someone as educated as he claims could control himself when given the cheese. obviously not. he has embarrassed himself, this community and the political party he belongs to here. he has called everyone who does not agree with him a Socialist, Communist, Liberal Fascist, Dim, etc, etc, and has shown no respect for anyone else who tries to hold a civil discussion here (and in the real world too I suspect). I call on sbvor to publicly apologize to the folks who post here and to Brent for his rude behavior. I think I already know what the response will be

logbuilder 6 years, 5 months ago

bore well you're no Democrat and you sure aren't Independent so that leaves what? "I call on sbvor to publicly apologize to the folks who post here and to Brent for his RUDE behavior. I think I already know what the response will be" I guess I am psychic after all What do I have to apologize for to those here and to Brent? to you, for calling you out? well?

addlip2U 6 years, 5 months ago

All of you act like children on the playground...and what: Is this the day to pick on sbvor?

If you don't enjoy reading the blog, don't. This is a free country and we have a freedom of speech!! And I rejoice and am soo grateful for that:)

steamboatsconscience 6 years, 5 months ago

guess logbuilder feels the same way about you as I do, aint that right Joe? LOL!

contrarian 6 years, 5 months ago

addlip2U: Freedom of speech does not apply to privately owned web sites like this. The paper can (and based on recent court decisions holding blog sites responsible for the actions of posters) and should police those who act irresponsibly on this site.

JazzSlave 6 years, 5 months ago

Make that 1,701 words and counting.

Bait. Guppies. Good times.

Matthew Stoddard 6 years, 5 months ago

Jazz is one to talk. Every time I mention anonymity is cowardly...Ding, Ding- Here comes Jazz to point it out. Jazz can laugh all he wants...since it's also a self-deprecating laugh.

And it's funny when the Bore doens't deign to come forward out of self-said fear of reprisal, yet says he's not sure how similarities between a person who signed their name to the almost word-for-word thoughts in a letter to the editor, and now seems to think log and SBC are the same person.

Of course, the hypocrisy level of the Bore is always retaliated with cries (funny- always crying...how feminine and liberal sounding) of "Moral Equivalence!!"

And comparing Baghdad Bob to the Bore isn't quite right, the more I think about it. At least Bob had the balls to use show his face when talking crap. Amazingly enough...Baghdad Bob had more conviction to stand up for his country and words than Bore does. Simply amazing!

Anyone want to do the homework? Look up all the Conservative Commentaries from the past 6 months or so. Look at one in particular. Read the resume at the end of that letter.

Then, ask yourselves: "Gee...who else rails about those same things day in, day out? Hmmmm...."

Then, look in the phone book for the writers address and look at my posts suggesting where Bore lives.

Have fun! (BoatMaster- It's free- fun always is, in the end!)

JazzSlave 6 years, 5 months ago

31 words to say "I know you are but what am I?" In case you missed it, Pee Wee Herman was cancelled.

And the guppy gorge fest is now up to 1,905, LOL!

Matthew Stoddard 6 years, 5 months ago

Actually, it's a pecking party. Join in or get out of the way, Jazz. You're holdin' up real progress.

Matthew Stoddard 6 years, 5 months ago

And someone's reeeeeaaaaallllly OCD today, eh? (that's 6 more, unless you decide that "reeeeeaaaaallllly" is equivalent to 2.3897 words.)

JazzSlave 6 years, 5 months ago

Circle jerking guppies. I wouldn't have thought it possible. You really do learn something new every day!

Matthew Stoddard 6 years, 5 months ago

Good one! Soon you'll work your way up to Carlos Mencia material. Take it slow, though. Wouldn't want to sprain something.

JazzSlave 6 years, 5 months ago

I'll take your word for it. I've never heard of him. I appreciate your concern for my health, though.

wissbecklarry 6 years, 5 months ago

Brent - Back, briefly, to your original question. I am among those who relish both the online and hardcopy editions of your paper. I am old (mature?) and still get pleasure from the sensual aspects of a newspaper. The feel of the newsprint, the smell of printers ink. (And while it's probably not very intellectual I like reading the comics and doing the crossword puzzle.) On to the online edition. I read the online twice a day. Once around 5AM (before I go to work) just to make sure nothing major has happened overnight. Then I read it again about 5PM to get some perspective on the day's events from the bloggers. Also, its nice to be able to revisit a past story edition which I may have missed or failed to pick up on some nuance requiring a re-read. Now on to the sbvore bashing. (One of my favorite parts of the blogs, BTW.) My major problem is his lack of a sense of humor. Perpetual "OUTRAGE!!!" is boring and ineffectual. While I really believe that sbvore is beyond redemption, I would recommend a large dose of Mark Twain or Benjamin Franklin for a proper and effective method of expressing "OUTRAGE!!!!."

scooter 6 years, 5 months ago

Why don't you guys all get together at the coffe shop and have a conversation. There are so many blogs from just a few of you that it is obviously a conversation that you all need to have without exposing the rest of us to it. Thanks

JazzSlave 6 years, 5 months ago

scooter

Maybe we should call 911. Someone must be forcing this "exposure" at gunpoint.

QuitYerWhining 6 years, 5 months ago

Just dont wipe any of those boogers on the wall....

steamboatsconscience 6 years, 5 months ago

jazz and that someone's name is sbvor Editor,

When are you going to print that correction?

steamboatsconscience 6 years, 5 months ago

424 yes I do

"Never interrupt an enemy when he is in the process of making a mistake" Napoleon "but if you egg him on, you may witness a mental breakdown" Steamboatsconscience

424now 6 years, 5 months ago

SBC,

You do understand that any reference to sbvor's rant and the rant itself served to draw attention to a point he intended to bring to everyones mind.

Subsequent references including this one will have the same effect.

424now 6 years, 5 months ago

Larry,

I still miss the smell of fresh newsprint, mixed with the odor of fried eggs and coffee, its a major memory for me.

Ann Holmes 6 years, 5 months ago

Thank you Brent for discussing your online content. I hadn't visited your website for some time, but today I found it to be much cleaner, less "flashy," easier on the eye (also less advertising on the home--may I call it the "front"-- page)which I thank you for. Your website in the past caused me to collect a significant amount of data-mining cookies, which cause excessive Internet traffic as well as popups. They slow down one's access to the Internet. I trust your redesign of the newspaper's website has eliminated this type of web programming. I don't think pushing out so many of these is very good netiquette.

id04sp 6 years, 5 months ago

Westy,

Go look at the Denver Post electronic edition online. No reason the Pilot could not do something similar.

424now 6 years, 5 months ago

Spoken like a true punk. I wonder smoke, who are your favorite musicians?

QuitYerWhining 6 years, 5 months ago

It appears that Jazzslave and sbvor are one in the same....

JazzSlave 6 years, 5 months ago

You literally just made me LOL - the real thing; not the acronym!

Actually, my identity was disclosed here quite some time ago; long before you little new fish arrived to pee in the pool. But keep it up, guppies. It's sort of interesting - kind of like watching three year olds pick their noses.

QuitYerWhining 6 years, 5 months ago

Dont worry Jazzy ole chum...we have more in common than you realize...I have some Spyro Gyro and Manhattan Transfer LPs too!

JazzSlave 6 years, 5 months ago

Speak for yourself. Suitable for ride in the elvator, but not what I would listen to.

bandmama 6 years, 5 months ago

Just wondering, are we forgetting that this is a free paper, that is delivered to most area businesses and bus stops in town? Quit complaining, it is a pretty neat way of keeping most community members aware of most things happening. There are several retactions or corrections and sometimes a one sided view, but again, it is a FREE paper. How many times have any of us gone to a restaurant, bar, whatever grabbed the paper, read what we could and returned it for the next person? AND how quick are we to call the Pilot ASAP if the paper is NOT delivered. Geez.....

424now 6 years, 5 months ago

smoke!

In my early and unguided youth I was a "punk" Doc Martens and a white T. Dead Kenedy's, Social D and many more that in fact drew many of their guitar technics and more directly their actual riffs from what is at times considered jazz and had the previous tag of "the Blues" Anyway you slice it it is quinticentialy American Music!

Diana Krall is a musician you don't appreciate smoke.

You having a different taste in audio stimulation takes nothing away from her talent or ability. To each his own.

Your opinion of Jazz is just that an opinion. Which lately around here if stated in to vehement a manner can get you in trouble with the big paperboy in the sky!

OnTheBusGus 6 years, 5 months ago

I like the online version, love to read it while I wake up with coffee and see what happened overnight. I do read the print version at lunch, the classifieds allow me to see how things are going in the valley. Jobs, places for sale and rent, what is for sale, etc. Then I check in here before bed to see what's really going down. By the way, if someone guesses sbvor's identity will he stomp his right foot into the ground and disappear into the chasm he creates? Just wondering...

JazzSlave 6 years, 5 months ago

Brent:

I'd like to see html tags enabled here. They were available in the old forum, and I miss the option.

smoke:

I've taken part in numerous discussions about music here. If you're sufficiently energetic, troll thru the archives & you'll get a good sense of my proclivities.

About Krall - I'm more a fan of her piano playing than I am of her singing. Your assessment bothers me not at all. I feel the same way about Johnny Cash, Kanye West and Richard Wagner.

424now 6 years, 5 months ago

The man in black! oh now come on, Ring of Fire! Folsom Prison Blues give him a chance Jazz! Come over to the dark side!