Game cancellation raises snow removal questions

— Steamboat Springs School Board President Robin Crossan is worried that promises made to parents and students about the artificial turf field installed at Steamboat Springs High School are not being fulfilled.

Private donors and the Education Fund Board, which administers the city's half-cent sales tax for education, raised about $500,000 for the field, which was installed in the summer of 2006. Proponents of the all-weather playing surface vowed that students wouldn't have to travel away from Steamboat Springs to practice and that Gardner Field would be able to host early-season games. But Wednesday, the high school's girls soccer team was forced to postpone their first home game of the season due to a snowed-over field.

"One thing we were promised wouldn't happen if we put this field in was that the kids would have to travel as much or cancel home games," said Crossan, who also serves on the Fund Board.

She said as a member of the Fund Board's Capital Commission, which recommended contributing to the turf field project, she recalls language that promised the purchase of snow removal equipment.

"I want to know where all that money went for that purchase," she said.

Interim Superintendent Sandra Smyser said Thursday that she is examining past School Board minutes to see if there were any provisions for snow-removal equipment when money was gifted from the Fund Board.

High School Principal Mike Knezevich, who spearheaded the turf field project, said there was no promise to purchase snow removal machines. He noted that former School Board member Pat Gleason had planning arrangements with Steamboat Ski and Resort Corp. slope maintenance officials to donate the use of a grooming machine and driver to clear the field at the beginning of the spring season.

"We don't have a magic ball to predict when will be the best time to plow. We could have plowed Feb. 18, but it could have snowed an additional two feet since then," said Knezevich, who noted it takes up to three days for Ski Corp. workers to remove the snow.

"The only other option is that after every storm you go out and do the field," he said. "That is not realistic. We don't have the manpower or the finances to do that."

Rob Bohlmann, the high school's soccer coach, said parents should not expect that all spring games will be played during a winter season that's seen more than 400 inches of snow.

"Just because we got turf, doesn't mean we are going to be outdoors Feb. 25, or whenever spring sports start," he said. "Any day we can get out in March is good. : We will be out there in the next week."

Comments

SilverSpoon 6 years, 6 months ago

Some schools have "pay to play" provisions. Steamboat should have "shovel to play". Students should get out there and shovel their field. I would volunteer the track, football, lacrosse, soccer teams to go out once a week and maintain their field. It is good conditioning for the kids.

Scott Berry 6 years, 6 months ago

Hey, it is March and in case anyone living in Steamboat doesn't know, it still snows in March, April, and even sometimes in May! Just because there were several very giving individuals who both gave a lot of their money and time to construct the new surface, mother nature isn't going to change! Perhaps the parents should be speaking with their very "capable" AD, Dick Lee, about his fabulous job of working with CHASSA to schedule games away in March and here in April. And, just as a little reminder, the ski area has volunteered their equipment and man power to remove the snow. Be carefull not to abuse that relationship or the teams well be shoveling the snow themselves.

MtnWarlock 6 years, 6 months ago

Silverspoon, Really! Work! Good idea however, we live in a society that drives their kids one mile to school so they can run one mile in track! Lol. I agree that the school AD could have tried to schedule all away games first but, the AD cannot control Mother Nature. To top it all, we've had a record snow year. Who knew! Kudos to the Ski Corp for their efforts with the situation.

housebound 6 years, 6 months ago

FYI: You can't have a bunch of kids whacking up a field with shovels and breaking off ice chunks without incurring damage. We should never have a home game scheduled in early March. It just isn't realistic.

AmebaTost 6 years, 6 months ago

Once football is over the school doesn't provide much support for any other field sport anyway, so get use to it!

424now 6 years, 6 months ago

Schedule away games in march let the snow & ice melt.

Housebound has a good point. The damage done by the kids doing this kind of work to that kind of field would be expensive.

Warlock,

The kids you mention, and their are an awful lot of them, don't get to be kids. Instead they get to be programmed for success or at least their overprotective parents idea of success. For me the walk to school was a time to hang out with my friends. It took us thirty minutes to walk on a good day. Most of the time it was two miles, uphill, both ways and typically covered in three feet of snow!

And the books were bigger too.

housebound 6 years, 6 months ago

Amebatost, Have you been to any games other than football? Do you go to football games? The more community members come out for things, the more attention events get. Don't slam football because it gets support...go check out the Lacrosse games!

AmebaTost 6 years, 6 months ago

housebound, do you have kids in highschool? I bet they play football if you do.

AmebaTost 6 years, 6 months ago

Lacrosse parents are always asked to help at the gate for football games so football parents can watch there kids play, then when lacrosse season comes around football parents are to busy to help out.

SilverSpoon 6 years, 6 months ago

I disagree about the kids and shovels. Give the kids handy plastic shovels(not pick axes), a couple of tarps to pile snow on and drag it off. Believe it or not, denver has had the same issue, 3 feet of snow, the kids wanted to practice, so the shoveled it off. That turf may be expensive, but it is durable enough to play football, and drive the snow removal equipment on. Kids are just too lazy, and admin is afraid of a parent being angry because their kid had to do some blue collar labor.

AmebaTost 6 years, 6 months ago

Kids are just too lazy, and admin is afraid of a parent being angry because their kid had to do some blue collar labor. Very true.

oldskoolstmbt 6 years, 6 months ago

wah,wah,wah...and here i thought our kids down here in south routt had problems (ie: getting black lung from our coal boilers).....

housebound 6 years, 6 months ago

FYI - football parents organized and sent off the basketball team yesterday in style. How many kids I HAVE isnt near as many as how many I support. The gate for football games is organized and set up by the athletic department - as well as ALL the games. How about getting some facts while you are waving your finger around pointing at how lazy everyone is.

steamboatcrazy 6 years, 6 months ago

Jeez.....somebody always bitching about something. It wasn't to long ago that the field was unusable well into May. It was always a muddy mess. They will plow it soon and it will be good to go. Also I see many parents from all sports as well as a few that don't evan have any kids in the school system helping out all the time. Put down your key board and grab a shovel if its not fast enough for you.

SailorStudent10 6 years, 6 months ago

Ok will everybody please stop B****ing about the kids shoveling the field. I don't play lax or soccer or do track. I am a volleyball and basketball player. I work out at the school 4 out of the 5 days of the week. I see first had how sucky the system is that we have know. FOR EVERYONE'S INFORMATION!!!!!!!!!! WE DO SHOVEL THE FIELD. Every team has a turn shoveling it. This has been happening ever since SSHS has a football field. O and about the gate issues and parents not helping, my parents did football, volleyball and basketball games just to help out. OK? Get over it. You don't even go to the high school!

MtnWarlock 6 years, 6 months ago

424now, I can relate to your description of the way it used to be. LOL! I don't agree with kids being lazy. We really do pump a lot of stuff in their heads now. Times and teaching have changed tremendously since I was in high school.

SailorStudent10, There are a lot of us in this forum that accommodate for that "sucky" education system you are taking advantage of! So check your fire! You are fortunate to have parents that are able to support you as they do. A lot of kids parents can't afford it or work too much to appropriate the valuable time for their kids! You are so lucky. Don't reinforce the negativity that this forum has stereotyped on kids by what you say. It proves the negative bloggers are right about kids! That's not good. trust me, I know more about our schools from the inside than you know!

424now 6 years, 6 months ago

The youngest of my two boys will graduate high school this year. Next stop college. Follwing in the footsteps of his older brother. It has been a very long row to hoe and I havn't reached the end yet. I still remember the shock I felt when the first brought home five pages of homework from kindergarden. I recall telling my wife that it was just the beggining. It was.

We snowshovel information into these kids at a prodigeous rate. I am sure they can cope but I will tell you this, their childhood has been compromised.

My wife and I made it a point to keep the boys ahead of the game enough so that every now and again in the middle of a semester and for no apperant reason, we could go fishing. I really hope more parents understand that we as a culture have added a significant amount of stress to the lives of our children. If we expect a higher level of performance from them then we need to be prepared to provide a higher level of support for them.

So far I can honestly say I have been impressed by the kids ability to deal with the higher level of stress. I know I don't think I would have done as well.

God bless them and good luck to them.

AmebaTost 6 years, 6 months ago

housemouse, I know the facts, you must be a football parent! You live in the cloud I am speaking about. I wouldn't expect you to understand!