Carolina Sarmiento shops at the Steamboat Trading Company in Ski Time Square on Wednesday afternoon. Businesses were notified Friday that Ski Time Square will be demolished this summer.

Photo by Brian Ray

Ski Time Square demolition scheduled for summer

Under Construction

Read more about how downtown and base-area construction is transforming Steamboat Springs.

— It's official: Demolition of Ski Time Square will happen all at once, and it will start this summer.

Businesses were notified Friday that they'll have to be out - some next month, some a few months later. The Atira Group and Washington, D.C.-based Cafritz Interests are partnering to raze and redevelop the buildings around the base of the Steamboat Ski Area.

Although the groups had talked about demolishing the properties in phases, that is no longer under consideration, said Jane Blackstone, a development manager with Atira. She cited concerns with the sprinkler system used in Ski Time Square buildings that has required tens of thousands of dollars' worth of repairs and, in at least one case, 24-hour surveillance from local fire employees.

"This sprinkler issue is a safety issue, and our first priority is to keep the buildings safe," Blackstone said. "We have made what we believe is a responsible decision to take all the buildings down this summer, roughly a year before they would come down in a phased approach."

Steamboat Trading Co. owner Erich Esswein said he had expected the phased approach to go through. He figured that he could have about $200,000 in inventory to get rid of come the end of ski season.

To address that issue, Ski Time Square retailers are planning a garage sale the first week of April, Esswein said. The Butcher Shop will be selling decades' worth of photos, antiques and collectibles, he said.

"I think it's a sad time in Steamboat history, just seeing Ski Time Square go," Esswein said. "Just the cast of characters who own the businesses here and work here - it's a big change."

Tenants will leave at different times during the next few months, depending on the terms of their leases and whether any decide to leave early, Atira officials said. All businesses will be out by September, said Mark Mathews, vice president of development at Atira.

Mathews and Blackstone stressed that the community has pushed for the changes at Ski Time Square.

She said the developers are not yet to the point where they can start talking about what will go into the new mixed-use property. Current tenants might have options in the new development, Blackstone said, but there will be a time gap between demolition and completion of construction. The groups also are redeveloping Thunderhead Lodge.

The city of Steamboat Springs is sponsoring a study to determine the retail needs of the base area.

"What we're excited about is really using an integrated approach to having a vibrant, mixed-use property, looking at how all these are going to flow together," Mathews said.

The Atira officials said Steamboat needs to improve the area to improve its status as a tourist destination.

"We have a world-class mountain; now we want a world-class base area," Blackstone said.

Comments

Kevin Nerney 6 years, 1 month ago

Originally, I offered my services and expertise in order to train the local emergency services in a mock disaster,before the demolition begins. It would have at least made a good thing come out of the impeding mess that is sure to transpire. However, and this is not sour grapes, that offer is no longer on the table. One, no one acted on my offer and two, those in power seem to think (A)nothing would ever happen so why practice or (B) they know all the answers. It's a shame what's going to happen to all these businesses. It's more of a shame what this town is doing to its' tourists. Those who come to the mountain don't want to go "downtown " for a beer after a hard day of skiing. No matter how big Slopeside expands it will never be able to handle the crowds that use to pack the four bars that are being lost. Also not everyone who visits can afford to go to Cafe Diva all 6 nights they're in town. I for one can't wait to not have to write another sales tax revenue check to the city, however I can't speak for my business neighbors.

WZ 6 years, 1 month ago

I got your sprinkler system right here! Just keep the beer at the Drug Boat flowing! ;)

What a sad sad thing.

What was that Oldsmobile commercial... "This is not your grandfather's Steamboat." Heck, it's not even my Steamboat!

Has the community of Steamboat Springs ever been ripped apart with such astronomical demolition in the past like this is doing to the community now?!

I don't know about you, but something just doesn't sit right with me about this. It has a weird feel to it.

I'm bewildered.

Good luck Steamboat!

colowoodsman 6 years, 1 month ago

I worked at Ski Time Square when Maco was building it. Even then we knew things wern't quite up to par. But it is still a shame to see big money from out of town take over SS.

mtroach 6 years, 1 month ago

"I can see it now... out-of-towners Atira Group and Cafritz demo Ski Time Square and then run out of money/have a dispute, file for bankruptcy/dissolve their partnership and leave the base area in shambles for years longer than expected."

At least this would bring back some open space to the base area, maybe we could hold the balloon rodeo on the open lot.

mountaingirl33 6 years, 1 month ago

Change is good. Loss of old, run down properties that don't even have effective fire suppression systems is good. Yes many people have made good and bad memories in Ski Time Square, so quit living in the past- look toward the future. Besides isn't it the "people" not the buildings that help ensure our "visitors" are enjoying their stay? Aren't we all hear because at some point in our lives we came to this valley, fell in love and decided to stay? It was not the buildings that made me stay, it was the beauty of the valley, the people, the feeling I get every time I leave town and drop down this side of Rabbit Ears pass and have my breath taken away by the vast beauty of this valley and all it has to offer. I don't understand what the problem is. People come here to have a vacation, and spend money in our community; at our restaurants, bars, and shops- Shouldn't we offer these people "the best" we can? If Ski Time Square businesses made money based on outward first impressions- they would all be broke-

By the way mtroach- Atira Group and Cafritz have stable companies- I doubt your wish for doom and gloom will come true.

mountaingirl33 6 years, 1 month ago

gram. error sorry should have been "Aren't we all 'here"

bloggyblog 6 years, 1 month ago

blog thinks we should change the name to TGIS, Thank God its Skitime. every business should be a sterile,well lit corporate establishment with lots of manuals telling everyone how to smile and act friendly. seriously, anyone with any corporate experience should of seen this coming. i love how they're justifying the, all at once,demolition with the sprinkler system excuse, some corporate schmuck got a big atta-boy for coming up with that one. blog thinks we should chain ourselves to the front of the Tugboat and face down those wrecking balls 'tinnammen square 'style!!

mountaingirl33 6 years, 1 month ago

bloggyblog- The next time you have a thought- let it go.

seeuski 6 years, 1 month ago

Exactly mountaingirl33, The whiners act like the world revolves around ski time square and the run down buildings with faltering flooring structures and poor sprinkler systems and old businesses that can barely survive financially. This too shall come to pass as a new vibrant commercial area emerges in a couple of years with a smart design that connects the whole base area and flows with the newly daylighted Burgess Creek. The Steamboat area is fortunate to have such qualified developers to acheive what is greatly needed, the improvement of the ski time disfunctional eyesore. Cant wait to see it evolve.

bloggyblog 6 years, 1 month ago

seeuski and mountain girl, beauty is in the eye of the beholder. blog hopes you like your fancy new ski area. hopefully its just like the realtor said it would be. it should be really nice once they clear out all the riff-raff, like blog.

Brian Smith 6 years, 1 month ago

I wonder how many people complained about the new "Modern" Ski Time Square when it went in years ago, probably hacked off because the Tugboat was new, and they didn't want it...

seeuski 6 years, 1 month ago

Yea thanks blog, See ya round. In the meantime hope ya don't fall through the floor at Lupos. Oh, the old town charm of Steamboat is going to die with the improvement to ski time square. If you beleive that then you don't know what gives the Boat its charm.

seeuski 6 years, 1 month ago

I was thinking the exact same thing mTnsmith. Change always has its enemies.

AmebaTost 6 years, 1 month ago

I lived in ski time square as a kid in the seventies, it was a great place. It is much different know and I avoid it like the plague. I doubt the new development will please everybody. Economically speaking, sometimes it's better to start over. Sorry for the correction colowood but MACCO had 2 C's.

MtnWarlock 6 years, 1 month ago

Well gang, I've lived here over a quarter century now and it is hard too see our youthful Steamboat hangouts being destroyed and updated. I remember when Ski Time Square was a mud and cobble stone road. I find myself becoming one of the new generation of old timers that remain in Steamboat Change for me, like many, means a submission to age and youth gone by. I guess optimistically, the new base will be somebody's beginning dream of Steamboat, as it "wuz" for us old guy's back in the day and just a fading memory for the rest. I keep thinking I need to be more open minded about the changes to come. Then, I wonder how open my mind has to become without my brain falling out on the floor! Not all change is bad; it's just hard to adjust to it. The past will always hold great memories of how it was and how it will never be again! It is my hope, that the new architecture will fit into the landscape tastefully and not be a notable eye sore like some developments that have been erected here. I have plans of taking as many snapshots of the "old" square, before it's gone. The past is the past but, oh what a memory it is! ;-) Have a good one!

MtnWarlock 6 years, 1 month ago

Colowoodsman, There is no end to this story, it's never ending! So is this babbling blog! Steamboat will "never" be what it once was and it's not like the places where each of us came from, either! I was apprehensive about the change in downtown Steamboat. Now that I see the new beautiful brick replacements, I'm awed! Like I stated in my earlier blog, I hope that the Ski Time square change is just as well planned and designed to fit our Steamboat image, not made to image Vail or Aspen! Nobody likes change. I think change can be digestable if things are done right. Landscapes change but, memories last forever! have a good one! TGIF!

inmyopinion 6 years, 1 month ago

shame on you Intrawest, Atira, Wildhorse,etc for making my real estate investments appreciate 30% in '07. shame on you for adding Christie Express, a speedy alternative to riding the gondola, and to allow me to ski at Winter Park and Copper for $50, geez. How dare you have a vision for Steamboat that will turn us into a truly world class ski area. and to add another gondola stretchig from the Meadows Parking Lot, and to daylight Burgess Cr... seriously, who will enjoy wlking along that in the summer? one of the things i hate most when going to other resorts, Vail and Aspen, is how everything looks new and well planned. it makes me not want to go back.

change is inevitable folks, let's embrace it and make the best of it we can. afterall, we live in a ski area, how long could we go undiscovered?

that's my two cents, thanks for listening.

Brian Smith 6 years, 1 month ago

Raver,

You are right, under 21 places get tough for music venues. By the time they pay musicians, the only way to make money, is by serving alcohol...maybe the new Strings tent can help out?

inmyopinion 6 years, 1 month ago

ok, so we don't really live in a ski area, but rather a ski town.

wishiwerethere 6 years, 1 month ago

Amen inmyopinion! Ya'll live in God's country, like it or leave!

rfj0401 6 years, 1 month ago

Please build a Music Venue. Thats all I ask. Bulldoze everything else. Oh! except K.Nerneys Tent.

colowoodsman 6 years, 1 month ago

More retail space brings more buisnesses that demand more tourists and more cheap labor that demands more affordable housing. Where does it end???

Brian Smith 6 years, 1 month ago

Music venue is going to be downtown, the old Off the Beaten Path is going to be Ghost Ranch Saloon, wintertime music 7 nights a week I think...

rfj0401 6 years, 1 month ago

Maybe a Dunkin Doughnuts? I guess Music and Doughnuts is a little to much to ask. They can't even give us a few more days on our Ski Pass.

Ski Time square is in need of a face lift. I think we are just not looking forward to the process.

D_Icer 6 years, 1 month ago

Seeing how Jane Blackstone is a local and lived in steamboat her entire life she would totally be able to know what we want. "I do think that all of this redevelopment was encouraged and embraced by the city and the community," Blackstone said. This statement is a crock of st. Steamboats just turning into another vail. this is sad and really upsets all of us who grew up here and have to see great locals lose their businesses so we can build more condos. Might as well add some chain restaurants in too so we can really Fk up this town.

oofcboy 6 years, 1 month ago

So are we getting closer to having a home depot,chilis,TGif,or maybe a hardrock cafe .thats the only T shirt I dont own from Steamboat

raver 6 years, 1 month ago

Ghost Ranch Saloon!Another bar with a western atmosphere,how refreshing.

Brian Smith 6 years, 1 month ago

Raver, If one would choose to, they could put up their own money, and make a bar with whatever type of atmosphere they would like. I personally am happy to see another music venue come to town, as our current scene is starting to dwindle.

424now 6 years, 1 month ago

I grew up in a different world.

It was warm and fuzzy.

As time went by some cold and cruel people came along. At first they were just annoying. Then they seemed to multiply. One day, I looked around and found a different world out there. They changed my warm and fuzzy into a cold cruel!

More time went by,

I was forced through various nefarious means to change into a cold cruel myself. Secretly vowing to quietly work towards bringing a little warm and fuzzy back into this cold cruel. I slaved away both night and day and managed to build a litle alcove in the cold cruel filled with warm and fuzzy. On my daily jaunts into the cold cruel I make it a point to try and leave a little warm and fuzzy behind, in my wake. It has taken a great deal of time but I have noticed, here and there, a little warm fuzzy cropping up in the midst of all this cold cruel. I do this in hopes that one day, I will tip the balance.

6990res 6 years, 1 month ago

Right on raver. Music scene starting?? to dwindle? So thankful for the free concert series we are so fortunate to have. Don't like dancing in restaurants-turned-nightclubs too much! Will wait to see what Ghost Ranch Saloon has to offer...

Addendum: If one would choose to, they could put up a sh**load of their own money and maybe borrow someone else's and make a bar with whatever type of atmosphere they would like. -

SilverSpoon 6 years, 1 month ago

Why does fire suppression come up so late in the game? The buildings are barely 3 stories tall, and all have exterior stairs(fire escapes if you will). Sounds like an excuse to gid'de'up and get that wrecking ball going, time is money.

Or are they worried about the fact that the beetle kill finally outnumbered the efforts of the forest service, and we are one lightning bolt away from a charred steamboat.

mountaingirl33 6 years, 1 month ago

The fire suppression system is not coming up late in the game- it's been a known problem. I don't know if you have ever looked at the "exterior stairs" but I have almost twisted limbs due to the condition, and the "emergency" ladders don't look to safe either. As with most of the people who are being negative about all of this, you lack the information to forum a well balanced opinion. If you all are so against "big corporations" I suggest you move to Amish country.

lessworkmoreskiing 6 years, 1 month ago

It is all over. We are headed for certain disaster. I grew up skiing at Winter Park and Copper, and I have seen the absolute DESTRUCTION Intrawest and these people with way too much money have done to those places. Sure, they are nice and all; but at the same time I do not like to go back to those places at all. Too fake, too much marketing and fur boots, not enough skiing. I know quality of life means nothing when realtors and developers stand to make outrageous money while I can go to my 3 jobs so I can eat Ramen and pay rent. Ski Time Square might have needed some help... I can't wait until there are giant buildings everywhere and you have to stay on the top of the Grand to get a view. And a private Gondola will compliment our giant ugly buildings nicely... KEEP STEAMBOAT REAL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! IF YOU WANT TO SELL OUT GO TO VAIL..... OR STAY HERE FOR A FEW MORE YEARS, IT IS HAPPENING TO US!!!!

wishiwerethere 6 years, 1 month ago

the only reason I left STMBT was because I was tired of working "3 jobs so I can eat Ramen and pay rent."

STEMBOATwannabe 6 years, 1 month ago

Is the TUGBOAT going to reopen? In a different location? Or, wait for a new spot in the new development?

telebikebird 6 years, 1 month ago

"Certain disaster?" Yikes. This is no disaster, this is progress and it is in constant motion all around. The gondola will not be private.

Brian Smith 6 years, 1 month ago

Wow, it is getting so crappy around here, I am going to move back to the Midwest...NOT!

seeuski 6 years, 1 month ago

Maybe you should try "more work less skiing" and eat some better food for thought. They are not building skyscrapers for craps sakes, they are tearing down the ugly dark old dilapidated half empty dreary existing buildings and updating with, new buildings of similar size with flowing architecture that connects much better with the slopes and with materials that compliment what natural elements are seen in this area. Where were you complainers when these things were argued about at the city counsel meetings over the last few years? Geez enough whining, the skiing is great and you will never see these buildings when you are floating in the pow down pioneer ridge. Oh by the way, the upgrades to the ski area ie. opening of new terrain and upgrades to existing terrain that are slated for the next 5 to 10 years should shut up alot of mouths regarding Intrawest. Maybe you would rather have Less Otten and ASC back to continue the rape of Steamboat with no changes or upgrades ever.

telebikebird 6 years, 1 month ago

Well said seeuski! I couldn't agree more. Lots of whining after it has been approved. No one seems to realize they could go to city counsel and actually have a say in what happens. Instead they wait until it's too late and complain as much as they can.

heybartender 6 years, 1 month ago

Will the city really let ski time sq.be a big empty dirt field for the next few years while Atira goes through the planning process? Lupo's,Slopeside, and Tugboat can't handle the crowds now at lunch and dinner.What about the idea of rebuilding in stages?

seeuski 6 years, 1 month ago

They are realigning the road behind the existing businesses, or at least that was reported, and it probably just won't work out. Last summer should be some proof to that, it was a mess with traffic guards pulsing the cars through one lane of dirt. My guess is the new road will be on part of the current buildings footprint.

lessworkmoreskiing 6 years, 1 month ago

Seeuski - you are seeing me ski while I am less working and more skiing. Hopefully you can still see me ski all your lines over the tall ugly new buildings or from the new steezy gondola. Or maybe when they put a lift by Fish Creek that is as ugly as the new hotels they put in you can see me ski those lines too. But I probably wont be skiing as much powder because there will be tourists everywhere. I don't want them to open new terrain and put new lifts in, that is putting salt and lime juice in the wound here. That is how we get away from tourists right now. What then?

The new buildings may not be sky scrapers, but I think they will hurt my eyes every time I see them. I came to Steamboat because those building were not every where. Watching everything pop up one by one (daily now) Just wait until One Steamboat Expensive goes in and you cant see up the mountain anymore. Maybe we can just turn the gondola into a fractional ownership kind of thing so I can still ski some sweet lines down Teds Ridge.

seeuski 6 years, 1 month ago

Not much about Steamboats future will make you happy, When did you escape here to get away from the"tourists"? There have always been tourists here, that is what is driving the local economy. Not all of us have a trust fund to live on and can do the "lessworkmoreski" thing like you. Some time in the distant past Steamboat had its first lift. More lifts were added to expand the skiable terrain for the future "tourists" and you are lucky enough to be here now to use these lifts and get to the areas you describe. The long term plans for terrain have been in the works for years and is not just something new because of Intrawest. But ofcourse they should personally consult with you so as not to expose your personal lines.

dave reynolds 6 years, 1 month ago

lesswork more brain food..tourism is our main economy bet one of your three jobs relys on it or better yet all of them..move if you dont like it..Idaho and Montana have simalar ski resorts and you wont have to work three jobs..get over it change will and is going to happen

formerwindnsolarpwrd 6 years, 1 month ago

Sad to hear that ol' Ski Time Square will be fading. Have too many great, albeit hazy memories from the Tugboat- even after I was a pearl diver (did someone really kiss the moose?). Also the Butcher Shop and even what seemed like a winter-from-hell (roommates) when we rented one of the top units above the movie theater. Somehow one of them "aquired" the master plan for the entire mountain area which I still have a picture of... and that plan has proved to be pretty accurate.

When I first moved there, Mt. Werner was being re-aligned as it did once go straight into Ski Time Square, LTV was installing snowmaking and the Sheraton was tripling in size. Remember when Village Drive once went right through where the Sheraton is now? Remember when you could have a Steamboat Village PO Box?

All through the 80's changes were happening. The fight to keep Walmart out won! But the wolf-in-sheeps clothing was doing some nasty business in the back alleys. I'll never forget covering those town meetings, listening to all the impassioned reasons to keep it out. Only to have a Ski Corp. rep stand up at the end of the meetings stating "...It's our land and we'll do whatever we want" as they own(ed) the land where City Market and WallyMart now stand.

Progress- there was no stopping it then and there never will be any stopping in the future! Just voice your opinion to help control it. And if they don't listen, then vote the bums out of office!

I know how much time and effort all those business owners have put into their establishments over the years.. all the luck to you folks- Hank, Larry, Eric 'Swine' to name a few.

JLM 6 years, 1 month ago

Let's keep HOPE alive. We need CHANGE we can really believe in.

Why can't we all just get along?

Hey, Ski Times Square is either going to fall down or it's going to be knocked down. Just a little bit different time line.

The existing Ski Times Square is outdated, outmoded and just plain old. We need somethng new, grand and worthy of the world class destination that SBS has become.

The funny thing about the "good" old days is that they weren't all that damn good.

Progress --- join it or get out of the way but don't resist it because it is happening.

Keep HOPE alive!

raver 6 years, 1 month ago

mTnsmith-I am all for another music venue, it would be nice to have a place where younger than 21 musicians could play and /or enjoy live music,just think we have enough bars,though I am well aware that liquor makes money,and money seems to be the motivator here.

bloggyblog 6 years, 1 month ago

the ski time square story put blog in a bummer mood all day. blog just hopes the developers treat the business owners with as much respect and dignity as they deserve. blog would also like to challenge anyone(except tugboat employees) to a best Tugboat show contest. blogs first pick is "the Kinsey report w/Big Daddy". not exactly sure on the date but they absolutely rocked the house!! lastly, mountaingirl 33, blog likes your idea about Amish country. maybe blog could fit in better with a bunch of simpleton Amish types.

mountaingirl33 6 years, 1 month ago

My father always said 'Proper planning prevents poor performance' since these business in Ski Time have known about this redevelopment plan for at least a year, one would hope that they have a plan ready to be put in to action as soon as they were notified of when they needed to be out. There is never a guarantee when it comes to construction time frames-

I am sure each business has been treated fairly, and has been given the respect they deserve.

It is sad to see such an iconic place come down, but think of all the new memories (us locals are so good at creating) that can be had in our new base area, and how proud we'll all be to tell others about our classy new digs!!

424now 6 years, 1 month ago

bloggy,

If you move in with the Amish, would you get me a deal on one of those new super heaters I keep reading about in the back of Field and Stream?

As far as any help for the current tennants I don't think they'll get much. As a commercial tennant I think they'll just get a quit date. The delays caused by the construction would put any but the most financially well heeled business on the ropes. I doubt many current tennants will wait around for the plaza to reopen.

So the new digs will have new people, places and things.

oh! and I'm sure plenty of T-Shirts.

colowoodsman 6 years, 1 month ago

Silverspoon, you guessed it-the fire sprinklers are a big issue right now because the developers need a big excuse to tear it down that doesn't look like corporate greed. The sprinklers have been an issue since day one. Thanks for the correction Ameba.

armchairqb 6 years, 1 month ago

seeuski---Do You Have A Clue??? go get it then start writing. My dad had a saying too it went like this "Put your mind in gear before you put your mouth in motion." I don't know what your defination of a skycraper is but where I come from anything over 75 ft. is a High Rise. The plan for ski time sq. is a slanted bldg, design 3 stories in front (facing the mountain) and 10 stories in back (against the burgess creek rd. hillside) so that all may have a view. Right now there is 97,000 sq. of retail space and the new project will have less then 30,000. I was at the meeting obviously you weren't. Why do you think city council sent them back to the drawing board? CC wants them to change the ratio, not that CC knows or cares. So "Think before you speak " and this will be a much more "constructive" site.

lessworkmoreskiing 6 years, 1 month ago

I am sorry for complaining seeuski and all those other guys. I just love Steamboat. It was a powder day today so now I feel better. Did you see me ski?

one love.

lessworkmoreskiing 6 years, 1 month ago

right on armchair.

did you know Steamboat has a new official bird? It's the crane.

seeuski 6 years, 1 month ago

armchair, you should have taken your dads advice.

bloggyblog 6 years, 1 month ago

greetings from Amish country! blog is busy helping with the barn raising but wanted to take a moment to say hi to the friendly people back in steamboat. the Amish were a little sceptical about blog at first, but once they saw blog's skills with hand tools they accepted blog into the community. in the evenings,after chores, blog is teaching folks how to ski on homemade wood skiis with birch-bark bindings. they've even started calling the area at the base of our ski hill,"blog time square". we've got a special st. Pats day celebration planned, bllog is going to get towed behind the oxe through "blog time square" with blogs skiis on fire!! hope you all can make it. p.s. sorry but you have to leave your subaru outbacks,cell phones, blackberrys,etc....

stmbtgrad05 6 years, 1 month ago

Having lived in Steamboat my entire life, this change is definitely heartbreaking. I have memories of Ski Time Square from when I was a very small child; apres ski at Dos with my parents (and the entire town), family dinners at the Butcher Shop, my first job at the Rocky Mountain Chocolate Factory when it was still there. Even I know, though, that it's time for some change. STS is run down, old and overcrowded. All we can do is welcome the change and do everything in our power to keep the corporate chains out and the local businesses in.

Whether we like it or not, tourism is our livelyhood. Whether their business goes to corporations or local businesses is something we can hopefully control. I am currently in college at CU and I hope that coming back for visits won't break my heart too much. I guess you're right Mtn Warlock, it's never going to be the same, but it can still be pretty damn good.

twostroketerror 6 years, 1 month ago

oldskool, remember, as long as there's bars and friendly bartenders, it's ALWAYS snowing in Steamboat!

424now 6 years, 1 month ago

How good it will be depends on us. How involved we get with CC and any other meetings we can get in on. It's been said before and I intend to keep saying it until all of take it to heart.

GET INVOLVED!

Attend the CC meetings. Talk to your neighbors, get them to go. The people of Steamboat Springs need to inform the leadership of our desires when it comes to development. Blogging here does not effect them. This is an excelent forum. With the potential to become a powerfull tool for the residents of Steamboat. Saddly, it is not council chambers.

You want to see the development directed in a community minded way. Then the community needs to speak up.

In the council meetings.

The Steamboat Springs City Council meets on the first, second, and third Tuesday of every month at 5 PM in Citizens' Hall, 124 10th St. Special meetings are occasionally held as needed, on no set schedule.

Their is information all of us need to know on their site.

Whats that? I'm sorry I can't hear you.

Speak Up!

oldskoolstmbt 6 years, 1 month ago

twostroke....true that...you must have lived here awhile as well:)

424now 6 years, 1 month ago

Correction to 424now (anonymous4now) March 7, 2008 at 2:32 p.m.

Last sentence firsrt paragraph should read; I intend to keep saying it until all of us take it to heart.

colowoodsman 6 years, 1 month ago

MtnWarlock, you sound more like an 'urbanite' than a mountain man. You are probably one of those that wants to live in the mountains as long as they can do so with '7-11' convenience. Of course I know that nothing ever remains the same-duh! The purpose of these posts is to try to stir up some people to take action to put some brakes on what appears to be runaway development before the entire valley turns into urban sprall. I will admit it is an 'uphill battle'.

MtnWarlock 6 years, 1 month ago

424now, You are most correct. I have been involved with school boards, served on water boards, HOAs and steering communities on west end development. I have tried to keep our Steamboat under control from the "urbanite transformation" that many are worried about! I am still active in community affairs when I can.

colowoodsman, You hit it right on the mark when you say it will be a up hill battle! It is and always will be. This forum is a good place to sound off however, the street is where I keep my neighbors educated and my battle plans implemented. As far as your comment that suggests that "I" am an urbanite well, that's just not a true statement and you sounding off as usual! If you knew who I really was, I feel you would apologize! But I don't expect it. Meeting me in the woods would change your mind in a heart beat! I am totally comfortable living in a cave and off the land. I've been here 25 years but, grew up on a farm. What our farm didn't teach me Uncle Sam did and well!

colowoodsman 6 years, 1 month ago

Warlock, you seem to have a very high opinion of yourself! It also sounds like you have been working for the 'exploiters'. I once lived at the West Acres Farm, does that ring a bell?

dogd 6 years, 1 month ago

colowoodsman:

So you were part of the Macco circus? It was hillarious. Twenty-five pipeline hands instructed to buy carpenter tools and meet where the big stacks of Symonds forms were. They were gonna call it Ski Time Square.

The footers were excellent, because everybody there could run something straight in a ditch. But from there on up everything everywhere was a half-inch or so off. Joe N. had actually built a house somewhere so he was top hand.

Remember the wildmen who ran the crews? Big Joe, Max, and many assorted crazies. The reaction these days to a typical weeknight of shenannigans by the boys would be to call out a swat team.

MtnWarlock 6 years, 1 month ago

woodsy, I lived at West "green" Acres as well! You may already know me! You have to start somewhere in Steamboat. I just do what I can for my family and neighbors. I try to attack problems and not peoples integrity. Everyone has something to contribute, to their environment, whether they know it or not! The kind of jobs that I work are labor intensive. I'm not a trust funder! As for my outdoor experiences, I can just say; Steamboat is getting way to big for me. Baggs Wy, Saratoga Wy, Walden Co. are getting to look better every day! I don't know how long you lived here but, I think you may be able to agree a little there. Have a good one!

heybartender 6 years, 1 month ago

A dirt field or hole in the ground for the next few years is what awaits ski time sq. Lupo's,Slopeside,Butche Shop,Jades Summit,and Tugboat can barely handle the diners now.There are people who would like to go out after skiing...where will they go.Tear down and rebuild in stages like the earlier plan.

drumski 6 years, 1 month ago

CC.....please demand more commercial. Even with the existing vendors the guests of Torian, STS, Head and the local workers are extremely frustrated with eating, drinking, etc in Ski Time Square. If you take Tugboat, Dos, and the Butcher Shop out of the equation and don't replace them....I get thirsty.....and you know what happens when I get thirsty.....

Oh yeah, they were asking for 10 story buildings in their intitial plans. MountainGirl....that is a bit much don't you think?

armchairqb 6 years, 1 month ago

Heybartender is RIGHT ON THE MARK: Where will all the tourists go next year. My guess they won't come back. All I hear is that the wait downtown is 45 min or more for a table, and they don't take reservations. So now that Dos is gone, and Tugboat, Butcher Shop & the Jade will be gone soon...where does everyone eat. What was City Council thinking when they agreed on this????? My guess is that they weren't thinking. So 2 years ago Ski Magazine rated us at a 4, then it was a 9 this year. Betcha Steamboat doesn't even make the top 20 next year. Why....no nite life, no resturants.....Oh yeah....but we'll have million $$$$ condo's. BIG DEAL!!!!!

OnTheBusGus 6 years, 1 month ago

Next year we won't even have $$$ condos. We will have a very large, noisy construction site. How do you think the guests in Torian will like that? They will be all alone with their construction noise and close dining options will include whoever will deliver.