Denver The Steamboat Pilot & Today took home 23 awards Friday night in the annual Colorado Associated Press Editors and Reporters awards banquet at the Brown Palace hotel in Denver.
The 23 awards represent the most CAPER awards won by the Pilot & Today in a single year. Of the 23, 11 were first-place awards, eight were second place and four were honorable mention. The Pilot & Today won more awards than any other newspaper in its circulation class of 10,000 and less. The newspaper also swept the "Online special package" category.
"We don't enter into careers in newspaper journalism for the awards, but they certainly are well-deserved kudos for the hard work our staff does on a daily basis," Pilot & Today Editor Brent Boyer said. "I couldn't be more proud of our team."
First-place honors for the Pilot & Today were for beat reporting, business story, feature story, informational graphic, online breaking news, online special package, photo illustration, photo portrait/personality, sports column, sports story and spot news story.
Colorado Associated Press Editors and Reporters is made up of Associated Press member newspapers in Colorado. The CAPER contest entries were judged by Associated Press members in Pennsylvania. All stories and photos published between Sept. 1, 2006, and Aug. 31, 2007, were eligible for entry in the contest.
Below are the first-place awards received by the Pilot & Today:
- Beat reporting: Brandon Gee for business coverage
- Business story: Brandon Gee for "Ethanol effect"
- Feature story: Melinda Mawdsley for "Giving children a lift"
- Informational graphic: Meg Wortman
- Online breaking news: Staff
- Online special package: Dan Divens and staff for Power Play, a five-part special series on energy development in the West
- Photo illustration: Brian Ray for "School safety"
- Photo portrait/personality: John F. Russell for the photo of Orange Peel Bicycle Service owner Brock Webster on the cover of the 2007 edition of Locals
- Sports column: Luke Graham
- Sports story: Dave Shively for "Slate-R Die"
- Spot news story: Mike Lawrence for "Fatal jump"
Below are the second-place awards received by the Pilot & Today:
- Business story: Mike Lawrence for "Renewable renaissance"
- Informational graphic: Mike Hart
- Online special package: Matt Stensland and Dave Shively for "Ultra trail runner"
- Environmental story: Mike Lawrence for "Clearing the air"
- Public service: Staff for Relay for Life coverage
- Series: Meg Wortman, Mike Lawrence, Brian Ray, Matt Stensland and Mike Hart for Power Play
- Sports photo: John F. Russell for "In the swim"
- Photo portrait/personality: John F. Russell for "Disc jockey"
Below are the honorable mention awards received by the Pilot & Today:
- Online special package: Matt Stensland and Alexis DeLaCruz for "Snowboarders recover"
- Sports column: John F. Russell
- Sports story: Dave Shively for "Raw courage"
- Sports photo: John F. Russell for "Door swings shut"