Downtown paving projects to end Friday

Morning traffic snarls, detours frustrate drivers

— Friday is scheduled to be the last day for various road-paving projects in downtown Steamboat Springs.

Crews are working to pave Downhill Drive today while Fourth, Fifth and Sixth streets are being milled, Doug Marsh, street/fleet superintendent for the city of Steamboat Springs, said in his office this morning. He added that 10th Street is tentatively scheduled to be milled today.

Fifth Street is now open during construction and drivers can access Howelsen Hill. Thursday morning, construction-related road closures caused lengthy detours for some drivers trying to access Howelsen.

Yampa remains closed between Fifth and Sixth streets, so drivers should plan to access Fifth Street from Lincoln Avenue.

"It was confusing this morning, and I do apologize for that," Marsh said of the traffic delays.

Fourth and Sixth streets will be paved Friday and the projects should be done by the end of the day. Marsh said that Fifth and 10th streets will be paved in a couple of weeks, though he wasn't sure of an exact date.

Marsh said the majority of the projects should be finished this week.

"We don't want to get in the way of the rodeo," Marsh said.

Comments

Carrie Requist 6 years, 5 months ago

Yes, It was very confusing and difficult to get kids to Howelsen for Parks and Rec Camp on thursday morning with NO signage or anything to direct drivers. This was made worse by un-helpful workers at the road closures telling drivers "I don't know how you are supposed to get there. I don't live here."

If we needed to go to Mt Werner and up River Road (which is what I and a number of other drivers did), there needed to be signage and some education.

I tried 5th and was waved down Lincoln to turn down 7th and find Yampa closed before 5th. Then I had to get back to Lincoln and head to Mt Werner. As I got back to 5th on River road, they were letting cars in on 5th.

Really, very annoying that all could have been handled with a little signage and/or education. Parks and Rec could have sent home a flyer this week letting parents know to detour today.

OnTheBusGus 6 years, 5 months ago

It was a good day to ride a bicycle or stay home! Paving and road projects everywhere! Can't the city and county stagger these projects so they don't all occur at once? BTW, a friend of mine encountered some workers who didn't even speak English which was very unhelpful too as far as directing people on best routes to take.

armchairqb 6 years, 5 months ago

Hey OnThe BusGus: Didn't speak English!!! What a joke...I have a friend who applied for a job in this town & was told she couldn't get the job (although she was very qualified) because she needed to speak Spanish!!!!! What the heck is happening in this town!!!!! All the immigrants coming thru Ellis Island had to speak English!!!! Am I wrong???????

grannyrett 6 years, 5 months ago

armchairqb-What the heck is happening in this town?---Probably the same thing that is happening in this country. You have to be a citizen to vote in this country. In order to become a citizen, you have to be able to read and write English. How many languages are ballots printed in. Seems like I heard that in California, the ballots are printed in 50-some different languages. Indeed--WHAT THE HECK!

OnTheBusGus 6 years, 5 months ago

I should clarify that one of the non-English speaking workers my friend asked directions of was one from the stop/slow sign holders.

armchairqb 6 years, 5 months ago

OK OK So I'll tell my friend, she should apply for the "sign holders" position. She might even make more money!!!!! What a Country!!!!!!