Peggy Watson: Save The Tugboat

— A Steamboat icon is about to fall, and I'm writing to share my thoughts, with a feeling that there may be a lot of you out there who share my point of view.

The Tugboat is nearing its demise and, even though these words may not change that course, we need to let it be known that many residents here would like to see it spared from the wrecking ball.

The Tugboat is and has been a huge part of Steamboat, just the way it is. The building, inside and out, doesn't need a Ski Times Square facelift, because it already reflects the down-home atmosphere of our city to the tourists. It always is busy, tourist season or not, and arguably has been one of the most successful businesses in this town. If you want to save The Tugboat, a grass-roots effort is the only way Steamboat has to be heard. Save the building and keep the business alive for another 30 years.

There's not much time left. So many are already gone. It's The Tugboat. It's an icon in our town that deserves to be saved.

Let it be.

Peggy Watson

Steamboat Springs

Comments

Jonathan Casson 6 years, 4 months ago

Are u kidding? This is your issue you felt compelled to write a letter about?

BoatMaster 6 years, 4 months ago

Long Live the Tugboat.

It will be a huge mistake to tear it down. All across the world people think of the Tugboat when they think of Steamboat.

Where else in town do you hear such great bands?? Nowhere.

I have heard it may be spared in the demolition, but who knows.

Save the Boat !!!

Jason Miller 6 years, 4 months ago

Like they say All good things must come to an end. I'm just wondering what the '08-09 season will be like with nothing up there?

kspork 6 years, 4 months ago

I would suggest that we not only celebrate the establishment for the past 30 years of memories. But the support that the buisness has provided many numerous fundraisers and comminity events to the people of Steamboat. So, many people and organizations have benifited from the generousity of Hank and Larry. Least we forget they pay sales tax, which benifts us all. We should embrace every locally owned buisness in Steamboat. It not as easy as many think....

BoatMaster 6 years, 4 months ago

Actually knowitall I have been in the kitchen withing the last 2 weeks.

Therefore you are not a knowitall, only a bitter little person.

Anyway, I just think it is a great institution of Steamboat.

BAR_UE 6 years, 4 months ago

So how about Dos Amigos or Matte Silks? Who was there to save those fine watering holes? Did you ever get lost in the Ski Time Square Triangle? Bottom line is that it is way past time for STS to be re-done...but we will miss having our elbows stuck to the Tugboat Bar...

Ted_Bell 6 years, 4 months ago

Save the Tugboat. Bring Back Dos and Mattie Silks!

These places were classy! I love restaurants with clean kitchens, no back door drug transactions, no money laundering, great food and the absence of presence of alcoholics and coke fiends as they are great places to take family. I always treat out of town guests to dining out in such establishments so that they will get an accurate picture of what this town is (was) all about and by that I mean CLASS and clean living!

I am so sad that things are changing.

P.S. My favorite color is brown. I hope that the new structures that pop up in Ski Time Square maintain look just like the old ones because, like I said, I love brown and anyone who does not is probably just racialist.

fartpark 6 years, 4 months ago

Tear down the hippie infested piece of trash. If you wanna hear "good music", then go join the Rainbow Coalition.

Matthew Stoddard 6 years, 4 months ago

I would like to save the Tugboat...by having them restart business in the new Ski Time Square, if possible. A brand new start but with all the old memorabilia still intact. The bar could be saved/renovated for the new Tugboat, and a larger dance floor could be added to the design. This would allow for a better place to bring bands and more people could come in to enjoy it.

This could also upgrade the sound system in there. I haven't been there in a while, but I remember the accoustics weren't great and made the bands sound garbled at times. It could also mean a better lighting system for the bands.

A new, state of the art kitchen would work wonders. It is a dinky kitchen back there. A bigger kitchen would allow for more seating & possibly a larger deck, and an all new, improved menu.

It could be the harbinger of better nightspots for dancing in Steamboat since they've been sorely lacking for years.

scooter 6 years, 4 months ago

Kids... It is going to be torn down. If the business continues in a new establishment, then so be it. But I doubt seriously if much real money will be spent on acoustics or sound reinforcement. It never is... To build it right is VERY expensive, and to a restaurant/bar owner not all that important... to the bottom line. I'm quoting a friend who worked there for years... "The drunks can't hear the difference"

whiteout 6 years, 4 months ago

"Are u kidding? This is your issue you felt compelled to write a letter about?"

its sad, isn't it? i think that peggy needs a hobby :-(

MtnWarlock 6 years, 4 months ago

kielbasa, I agree, that is the best idea yet! Drunk Boat, Drug Boat, what ever little nickname you call it, it's still another Steamboat icon that is meeting its demise. The Short Branch, Hatch, Lost Dog and Diamond DJ were other watering holes lost to the diminishing youthful culture of the old local. A new age is here, like it or not. Now it's just all "back in the day"! Have a good day!

fartpark, Good music indeed however, can we hold it instead in Browns Park? LOL!

elk2 6 years, 4 months ago

Believe me Peggy when I tell you that the "POOR" owners of the Tugboat could easily afford to rebuild the bar, not only that they could afford to build it out of 14 K. gold!!!

constant1 6 years, 4 months ago

hey FARTPARK. I know you. smelled ya the other day @ panda's. you really should bathe more frequently. YDF

longtimer 6 years, 4 months ago

The Tugboat is a legend, and not just in Steamboat. It has hosted world famous athletes, teams, movie stars, generals, families, and more. Memories have been made at the Tugboat. And, brainless, check the Routt County Health Inspector statistics and find out that the Tugboat's kitchen is very clean. The owners of the Tugboat have given so much to this community in donations, fundraisers, personal funds, jobs, good times, good music. Find something worthy to bash, better yet, find a way that you can make a difference instead of wasting your time and words on something you know nothing about. If the Tugboat comes back in a newer shell, it will still be one of the best places in Steamboat. Always was, always will be.

bcbackcountry 6 years, 4 months ago

Before anything gets torn down, those credit lines should be reevaluated, otherwise we may have rubble and nothing to show for it. See this link for the full story on Tamarack ID Resort Base Development: http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/25578554/

"A recent visit to the resort by NewsChannel 7 revealed most if not all construction activity has stopped. A sign on the half-finished main village read "opening Summer 2008," however the buildings are still wrapped in insulation and some lacked windows. Several homesites on West Mountain also sit unfinished, looking more like a ghost town than a bustling new neighborhood."

Think we're immune, think again.

BC

GiraffeNuts 6 years, 4 months ago

Yes, i realize that the TugBoat is a legendary watering hole here in Steamboat. I have spent my share of years here drinking and what not. I have had a ton of fun there, Arny and the rest of the staff are great. But the place is so old and grungy. Has anyone tried shooting pool there? you can smell the sewer system every time someone flushes the toilet upstairs. also have you noticed that the so called handicapped bathroom is used to pack in several people at once so they can blow lines of coke? I like drinking there and all but enough is enough. This place is old and dirty and needs to be put to sleep. I don't want to come off as an a-hole but this place is just gross. It is hard to eat there due to the smell of stale booze and poop from the sewer pipes. I hope they can start over in a new building. In the mean time i'll be at SlopeSide where it is nice and clean and the service is always awesome with no cover charge to get in.

blahblahblah 6 years, 4 months ago

Until this town is turned into a glistening strip-mall paradise, I won't be satisfied. Widen the roads, build higher and bigger, and get out of the way when I'm heading home to Marabou.

blahblahblah 6 years, 4 months ago

Speaking of "fart park, " wouldn't it be nice if there was a parking lot on that site? Squelching the stinging odor of sulphur and providing much needed access to the downtown area is a win-win situation for everybody. I envision a parking structure with at least three levels.

telebikebird 6 years, 4 months ago

Hey BC,

Tamarack is an unestablished ski resort with less snow, less sun, less vert and less of a history. They are starting from gound up, we are simply moving forward...

Kevin Chapman 6 years, 4 months ago

That place has more drugs running through it than a pharmacy. And the guy running the door was/is often more intoxicated that the people he allows into it. Good riddens tugger, i never did like the below average music OR the layout of the place. I would say i witnessed fist fights nearly 50% of the time i went out and ended up there. BYE BYE

BoatMaster 6 years, 4 months ago

Not that I totally love the TugBoat but if you don't like it then stay away.

SteamboatNucs sounds like he was kicked out of the joint and is a little bitter.

You haters sound like the people that complain about a TV show or a radio show and want it yanked off the air - instead of just changing the channel.

If you like the boat the go there. If you don't like it then stay away and stop crying... (yes that means you SteamboatNucs)

Heck, I don't like Chinese food but I don't complain about the Panda, I just go somewhere else and let the people that like Chines food enjoy that place. (No Offense Panda )

stillinsteamboat 6 years, 4 months ago

worked at the Tugboat and the kitchen staff always took pride in it's cleanliness. Cheryl was the best kitchen mgr they EVER had. too bad H&L never showed her real appreciation. She worked her heart out for them.

dave reynolds 6 years, 4 months ago

knowitall..haha..you know nothing all the years i delivered beer for B & K that kitchen was spottless and I won't expect it to any thing but that now..the folks at The Tugboat have been good to me ..so I hope they let it stand..knownothing is bitter a tries to stir up trouble sometimes talking about something he knows nothing about..if he/she knows the kitchen is as bad as he/she says it is then do your civic duty and turn them in..thanks hank,bama,Jack,larry and the rest for taking care of me while at the Tugger and at Alpine..cheryl God Bless you..I miss you and think of you often

stillinsteamboat 6 years, 4 months ago

paddle, thanks for remembering the best person ever.

JazzSlave 6 years, 4 months ago

SteamboatNucs:

Hear, hear! 2 out of the 3 times I was there, there were drunken fisticuffs. And the lousy acoustics made the sub-standard bands sound even worse.

Bye, bye, Tug. Don't let the doorknob hitchya where the dog shoulda bitchya.

cmducks 6 years, 4 months ago

I loved the Tug Boat. You could always go there and hear live music. Not canned dance crap, or some DJ. Plenty of drugs, but any of you who think that there aren't boat loads of drugs at every other bar are delusional. Choose to not partake, it's not tough, and I never had a tough time making it up the stairs to not wait for the handicap bathroom. Just another landmark being torn down to make us look like Vail. That area of the mountain needs upgraded, but some sort of visionary will put a martini bar, or some other piece of "wild nightlife" to cater to the rich people that we want here.