Soft drink distributor to open in Hayden

Company plans to move from Craig this week, start business on Monday

— The new Coca-Cola distributorship in Hayden is set to open for business Monday.

The building, a satellite sales center for Coca-Cola Bottling Company High Country in Rapid City, S.D., will replace the current site in Craig.

The company's space will increase from 5,500 square feet in the existing building to 25,000 in the new one, Sales Manager Steve Mudge said.

"It's going to be awesome," he said.

The new sales center is on the eastern side of town near the Hayden Cemetery. The move has been in the works for three years, and construction has taken about a year, Mudge said.

The sales center serves an area from Maybell to the Winter Park ski area, north to Walden and south to Yampa and Oak Creek, he said.

"We service Granby and Winter Park out of this facility, and we just needed more room," Mudge said. "The building we were in was dated and rather small."

The company aims to sell its building in Craig and plans to start moving to the new spot Thursday.

Most employees will commute from Craig, Mudge said. He could not confirm whether the new building would result in more jobs.

"There possibly probably is going to be," he said.

Mudge said he was looking forward to the move.

"It's going to be quite exciting to have a brand-new facility," he said. "Everything is brand-new. The only thing we're taking from the other facility is the trucks and the basic equipment. : We'll start out with a fresh start."

Comments

handyman 5 years, 9 months ago

My experience with the Coke distributor over the last year + is less than stellar. They go through employees at a fast rotation. What does that say about the employer? They don't care if their equipment is malfunctioning or broken. The taps at our store were rusty. They didn't care. We just let it go as a testament to Coke. We go through a lot of Pepsi.

prayforsnow 5 years, 9 months ago

"There possibly probably is going to be." Haha.

spukomy 5 years, 9 months ago

Last Predidents Day weekend, Coke ran out of their own soda, leaving all of northwest Colorado without product. Their service has been terrible for 8 years or so. There are very few restraunts in the Boat that carry them anymore. For some reason, Ski Corp just switched back to Coke. I don't see this working out well for them. Coke needs to get their act together.

424now 5 years, 9 months ago

There is nothing better than an Ice cold glass filled with mouthwatering Pepsi cola on a hot Mountain day.

madmoores 5 years, 9 months ago

Yeah, there is. Take a 20oz Coke and put into the freezer until it just barely slushes. Ice cold, ahhhhhh. I agree though, their effort to date has been worse than lame, and I don't know anything much worse than lame, except dead. We are always out of Coke, Cherry Coke, Sprite...in the machine at work but by some miracle the pepsi machine is always full. I swear the Coke guy only puts a sixer in each slot and drives away as fast as possible. One slot for Coke, one for Cherry, one for Sprite and two slots for Fresca, who the F drinks Fresca and if they did who would drink THAT much? That stuff is like pouring Nutrasweet on a grapefruit, yuk!! The K&G's are out, City Market is out, K-mart has it but the coolers are out and warm Coke is less than pleasant, Wal-Mart...out, Loaf&Jug...out and it's right next door to the old Coke building they are leaving, go figure. Hopefully more room means more stock and maybe some more jobs for the area, we shall see. Remember, you don't want to jack with a Coke drinker, do we need to bring up the "New Coke" fiasco?

aworker4progress 5 years, 9 months ago

What this newspaper has no editor who does not trust the mighty spell check option or is that they trust it too much?

dave reynolds 5 years, 9 months ago

i ask all of this does the coke distorbutor have a bottling plant or are they just a distribution site..i worked at a wholesaler in montana that was a bottler too..we never ran out of product..theres alot of reasons for shortages but wholeheartedly agree there is no excuse for running out of product..by the way nothing like a coke straight off the production line it is very good

424now 5 years, 9 months ago

The second best is a real Dr. Pepper made with sugar not that high fructose corn syrup. I had one when I was driving through Texas this spring. They bottle them in itty bitty bottles because of the cost of the sugar.

It tasted like Dr. Pepper used to taste.

candylane 5 years, 9 months ago

424 you must have been some where around Dublin (about an hour out of Waco) area. That is the only plant that still uses pure cane sugar and the little bitty bottles and the orginial recipe. Good Stuff! I think you can only get the orginial in about 2 or 3 counties surronding Dublin.

424now 5 years, 9 months ago

Yup! That's what My youngest called called them "Dublin Doctors" He just graduated from Gunter High. He played a little football there. He is here now for summer before college starts. He is starting off in a local school there in the fall.

He promises to bring some every time he visits.

candylane 5 years, 9 months ago

I think you can go online and order them if from the Dublin plant when your son goes back to school.........I don't hardly drink them here they are so different from the orginial but I will probably die a Pepper, but when I go back to Texas.......it's like when I was a kid again!

janhicky 5 years, 9 months ago

I live in Arkansas and come to the Boat about twice a year. My ONLY dislike about visiting is having to drink Pepsi products in most of the restaurants and on the mountain. I am rejoicing for those of you who are fortunate to live in the Boat year round with this GREAT Coke news. I am now looking forward to having a Diet Coke with my meals during our August visit.

madmoores 5 years, 9 months ago

Thats too bad because pepsi is terrible, Coke brought it on themselves, I can attest that most machines in Craig either are empty or don't work. I still refuse to switch and If I need to order it online, so be it. A comedian on the Blue Collar Comedy network on Sirius said it like this: When visiting a restaraunt and they ask if pepsi would do instead of Coke, I say "will monopoly money do instead of real money?" Classic...

spukomy 5 years, 9 months ago

It's all about relationships. Ask a restraunt owner who their Pepsi rep is and they can tell you. Not so with coke. They didn't even try to stop the take over, starting years ago, in the valley. Now it will take them years to win back those business owners. It's a shame since I love their product.

candylane 5 years, 9 months ago

424 Thanks for the U-tube links....It took me back to a time when the easiest relationship was being a Pepper! I looked at the one for the 60's and kind of remember that one and when you Dr. Pepper made you proud...so I thought it was funny that one of the Be a Pepper ads had "makes me proud" in it. Again thanks!