Pirate's Pub owners investigated

Liquor License Authority holds hearing for Nerneys today

— Kevin and Kathy Nerney, owners of the now-closed Jade Summit restaurant and Pirate's Pub bar, once again will appear before the city's Liquor License Authority for an alleged violation.

A Steamboat Springs Police Department report states that on March 16, a witness told officers he saw Kevin Nerney serving alcohol at the Pirate's Pub, which would violate conditions of the liquor license issued to Kathy Nerney in February.

Steamboat Springs Liquor License Hearing Officer Jim Moylan will review the alleged violation at noon today in Centennial Hall.

According to the police report, officers asked a 26-year-old man, who is not an officer, to enter the Pirate's Pub on March 17 and confirm whether Kevin Nerney was in the Ski Time Square bar during business hours.

The report states the undercover man entered the bar, purchased alcoholic drinks from Kevin Nerney, took a picture and video footage of Kevin Nerney with his cell phone and forwarded the footage to police.

Officer Joshua Carrell reportedly approached Jade Summit, downstairs from the Pirate's Pub, at about 9 p.m. March 17 to try to verify Kevin Nerney's presence.

"As I walked past the Jade Summit windows toward the rear of the building, I saw Kathleen Nerney seating patrons," Carrell stated in the report. "She saw me and moved quickly toward the steps leading upstairs. Fearing she was going to alert Kevin to my presence, I ran to the rear doors, only to find the interior door locked. From the entryway, though, I could clearly see (Kevin) Nerney in the bar."

A few minutes after 10 p.m., officers entered the Jade Summit to speak with Kathy Nerney. The report states that when they showed Kathy Nerney the picture of Kevin Nerney on the premises, she said she did not know he was there and that he must have "snuck in."

The previous Steamboat Springs City Council, acting as the city's Liquor License Authority, revoked Kevin Nerney's liquor license on Nov. 8, 2007, as a result of allegations that he made unlawful sexual contact with a patron of his bar in February 2007. Although he was cleared of charges in criminal court in August 2007, the City Council held its own hearings and ruled that Kevin Nerney violated state liquor codes.

The current City Council decided to issue Kathy Nerney a new liquor license for the Jade Summit and Pirate's Pub, with one condition: that Kevin Nerney not be allowed on the premises during business hours. The new license went into effect Feb. 20, 2008, and is due to expire Feb. 19, 2009.

Kathy Nerney said Wednesday that the restaurant and bar have been closed since late April given the impending demolition of Ski Time Square. She did not want to discuss the issue further and said she does not plan to open another restaurant or bar.

Earlier this year, the City Council turned oversight of Liquor License Authority hearings over to Moylan, a local attorney.

City Clerk Julie Jordan said that even though Jade Summit and Pirate's Pub are closed, the liquor license is still active and that the Liquor License Authority needs to move forward with the administrative process. As of Wednesday, city officials had not heard from the Nerneys regarding the matter.

This is Moylan's second meeting as the authority's hearing officer. Should he find probable cause that a violation was committed at Pirate's Pub, a show cause hearing will be scheduled for Aug. 7.

Comments

okiegal 5 years, 9 months ago

bandmama knows all about falling in guys crotches

is that a bad thing?

rsssco 5 years, 9 months ago

From what I hear from the guys in the shop, bandmama knows all about falling in guys crotches.

rsssco 5 years, 9 months ago

not a bad thing at all--but a few of the guys think she needs to leave her desk and walk back to the parts department for an upgrade.

okiegal 5 years, 9 months ago

what kind of proof is available from people who think they have been roofied?

what kind of proof would satisfy you?

okiegal 5 years, 9 months ago

bandmam....you hit the nail on the head.

does anyone wonder why the police could possibly have it out for the nearneys??

mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm....I think I know

Matthew Stoddard 5 years, 9 months ago

And you believe this young woman? Hmmmm...let's use your own words: Maybe you believe her because you've known her long enough to be complacent in what you believe when she says it.

scooter 5 years, 9 months ago

Wow... Reading all these bolgs makes me think it's time for Kevin and his family to bail out of here. I know if I was made fun of by cabaret the way that he and Kathy were... I would.

rsssco 5 years, 9 months ago

My name is armchairqb I read in the paper that there were tornados in the midwest. Damn that paper. If they hadn't written about it there wouldn't have been tornados. Da yup.

armchairqb 5 years, 9 months ago

I don't get it. The restaurant/bar is closed, they aren't opening anything up, they are out of business. End of story....RIGHT just what are they investigating anyway. Can't you just LEAVE THESE PEOPLE ALONE!!!!! I say enough is enough. The newspaper has printed enough, they lost their shirts on this business, and just when things started to get back to normal for them, CABARET came around & crusified them on stage (talk about OVERKILL) Now this??? How much more can you do to these people? Remember they have kids, family & a life to get back to. I say leave them alone, get a life & report on something substantial & real.

outsiderlookingin 5 years, 9 months ago

If the liquor license is premise based and there is no premise than what is the authority complaining about? Maybe this new hearing officer wants to pad his bill at $200.00 an hour which was the printed going rate. Oh wait , this is the city council we're talking about they don't know anything about fiscal responsiblity

Jason Miller 5 years, 9 months ago

It does not matter that the place is closed. This is a violation of his license. He did this as a F-U to steamboat and got caught.

elk2 5 years, 9 months ago

Is this Mayberry? It sounds like Barney Fife is on the job. Come on, let dead dogs lie!!!!!! Don't spend my tax dollars this way.

rfj0401 5 years, 9 months ago

I was at the Pirates Pub one night in March and was also served by Kevin. I asked him why he was there and his response was "We are closing in a Month, who cares if I am here".

Elk2 is right let dead dogs lie.

colobob 5 years, 9 months ago

Don't worry, Barney only has one bullet and a hole in the pocket he keeps it in.

digit1964 5 years, 9 months ago

Its great to hear from you Kevin (armchairqb)! I just love your comments about your self! Keep um coming!

ColoradoNative 5 years, 9 months ago

I heard another investigation is underway for Saddam also.

justice4all 5 years, 9 months ago

No criminal conviction= NOT GUILTY But yet the INNOCENT is penalized by not being allowed in his own business where he makes a living!!!! Sounds like a true case of mis-juctice.

Matthew Stoddard 5 years, 9 months ago

Digit- Kevin logs in under his own name & Kevin stayed for the whole Cabaret show. I saw him in the lobby as the cast was saying farewells to the audience.

And for armchairqb- Cabaret didn't crucify Kevin; they made fun of the whole situation thru overkill. This was more in reference to City Council's treatment of this issue (at least my interpretation as a Cabaret performer- I didn't write the piece and didn't ask the motivation from the writer). It was played onstage the way it was played in real life- completely over-the-top. In fact, at Cabaret, there was a piece on City Council trying to decide what was appropriate or not when it came to sexual harrassment, even with blow-up dolls. It was hilarious!

424now 5 years, 9 months ago

How does this City Council justify repeated attacks on this family?

With the Nerney's busines no longer active what is their true intent here?

The facts are;

He was cleared of charges in criminal court in August 2007.

The City Council held its own hearings and ruled that Kevin Nerney violated state liquor codes.

This should be a wake up call to all businessses operating with city limits. You can't fight City Hall and you better not try.

Kevin Nerney 5 years, 9 months ago

I'm not jumping back into this fray again,but if you want to know the facts just ask. As Sgt. Friday of Dragnet fame use to say " Just the Facts Ma'm Just the facts. Fact # 1 ---with 500 inches of snow this year and a recently shoveled roof the snow was about 7 maybe 8 feet high at the windows in the rear of the bar making it impossible to see in.Fact#2 ---Standard bar height is 42 inches. I stand 5'8"and the top of my belt buckle is 39 inches from the floor making it IMPOSSIBLE for anyone PD included to see what type and color (if any) pants I would be wearing behind the bar while they were outside trying to sneek a peek through the window. Fact # 3---If the fire escape door was locked why wasn't as summons issued for a locked exit? Except for my current size none of these facts can be proven since the snow has melted and the bar has been removed as the building gets ready to be razed so I must be the greatest crimmial of all time to have committed the perfect crime whereas the crime scene is no longer in existence. Thanks to any and all supporters and as for the detractors you can all kiss my a------

id03sp 5 years, 9 months ago

since when has Kevin Nerney been an advocate of upholding the fire code standards? a locked fire door means nothing to him. I mean he is an ex fireman you know.

I had a conversation with a contracter that was asked to work on his house in siver spur. Kevin wanted inoperable windows placed in an upstairs bedroom effectively cutting off egress from the house should it burn. the contractor refused to do the work because of the clear fire code violation "which an ex fireman surely would know about" Kevin asked the contractor to leave the premises and said he would find someone else to do the work.

BoatMaster 5 years, 9 months ago

I'm not sure if they are trying to fine Kevin or just take the license away.

If they are trying to take the license, and Kathy says they are not going to open another bar or restaurant then just give up the license and be over with it.

Am I missing something?

Also, like them or not, it seems to be a huge waste of time and money. Somebody important has it out for the Nerneys

steamboatsconscience 5 years, 9 months ago

sure looks like a clear case of entrapment by Steamboats finest under directions from ##itty council 03 I believe that subject was resolved a long time ago on another ( of the many) thread hearsay good luck Kev

weststmbtres 5 years, 9 months ago

It's called a violation of the terms of a liquor license and it sets a precendent. If they allow a license holder to violate the terms of their liquor license with no recourse then the next violator who goes in front of city council will just bring up Nerney's case and the lack of enforcement in their defense.

Matthew Stoddard 5 years, 9 months ago

Can the contractor prove what you say, id03sp? You (or some other moniker) brought this up before and nothing was ever proven on it, either.

Plus, I think that was Kevin's point- IF the fire escape door was locked, he SHOULD have been cited for that on top of everything else. Given that they've thrown everything possible at him (ask him about the barking dog Police visit he got...considering there are 2 dogs in particular in Silver Spur that bark incessantly, and it's not Kevin's dog that I mean. I live a couple doors down from him.)

Kevin Nerney 5 years, 9 months ago

Kathy Nerney here: Not one to comment on most of this BS: But as far as my house & windows go's Kevin built this house, the SS Fire Department installed ALL the windows, & we NEVER hired or tried to hire ANYONE else to install the windows here. You are ALL wecome to visit this house & inspect MY windows, & rest assured you will find NO VIOLATIONS. I pity the poor souls who find nothing better to do all day then to trash my husband, my children, my dog, my windows & myself. As far as Cabaret was concerned, I too thought it was OVERKILL & left not much after intermission. (in tears) I am all for a GOOD LAUGH, but felt that the writers went way too far (and you now who you are) I have rec'd numerous calls from people who thought it was "way out of line & went overboard" I heard that when the show was over an apology was made to City Council, but no mention to myself, nor my family. A member of my family was asked (in a round about way) to leave a job (that was held for over 4 months with no complaints) because they felt that it (Cabaret) had a negative effect on how people would precieve this person & too many questions would arrise. And yes we did receive a fine for OUR barking dog. $45.00 for our dog barking at 3:00 in the afternoon. (and we were home) The dog was on a long chain in the backyard, got tangled, started barking & was immediatly untangled & the barking stopped. Not much later, we were presented with a summons!!!!! 3:00 in the afternoon!!!!! I've got dogs barking ALL DAY ALL NITE Crapping in my yard, yet I would NEVER think of calling the police!!! Hey to all of you out there waiting for us to move IT AIN't GONNA HAPPEN!!!!!

Kevin Nerney 5 years, 9 months ago

Kathy Nerney here: Boatmaster - you are correct sir: "They" are out to "GET" us, not sure why, but I do know who. And as my Mom always said, "Every Dog Has Their Day". Now if they would JUST let me get on with MY life!!!

id03sp 5 years, 9 months ago

Hey everyone, I just noticed something. I'd like each of you to spend a little time reading armchairqb's posts all 150 of them and I'd like someone to honestly tell me that they believe this isn't Kevin Nerney posting about himself in the third person.

If you don't have friends in the forum backing up what you say then just create some. That worked for sbvor.

If my memory is correct, when I signed up for an account I think I read that having two user names violates the terms of usage on the pilot web site.

Matthew Stoddard 5 years, 9 months ago

Guess what? The Pilot can't corraborate that since all you need is a different email addy for each login. That's it. Nothing else to verify. Maybe it's Kevin, maybe it's not. Bring more proof.

Kevin Nerney 5 years, 9 months ago

You got me. I've been posting anonymously under archairqb. At least I've got the guts to log on here an post under my own name when it matters.

Matthew Stoddard 5 years, 9 months ago

id03sp- Okay- it's from Kevin. Plus, I have no doubt if I had asked Kevin, he'd have told me straight up that it was him. What further proof did you actually offer, though?

I know plenty of people that have multiple handles on this site. It's nothing new. There's also this policy about outting people who wish to remain anonymous, yet you decided to forego that one, yourself. (Yep! Been there, done that! And I'm still here and the guy I outted is gone. Weird, huh?)

BoatMaster 5 years, 9 months ago

Kielbasa

Seems what you thought was funny and not hurtfull to the Nerney's at Cabaret was not the case per Kathy.

Whoever is behind this vendetta against the Nerney's should let it go and get on with their life.

id03sp 5 years, 9 months ago

I didn't out anybody. I challenged everyone to make their own assumption after reading for themselves. Outing someone would be having a conversation with them getting them to disclose their user name to me and then posting the information that was given confidentially for everyone on the site to see.

I speculated and posed the question for everyone to ponder and Kevin/armchair outed himself.

My god Kielbasa, 1800 posts. Do you realize how much of your life you've wasted posting on this site.

When you are 90 years old lying on your death bed are you going to look back at your life and say "I wish I had spent more time posting useless babble on the pilot web site" I doubt it.

Matthew Stoddard 5 years, 9 months ago

Boat- Kathy didn't find it amusing; 4 audiences mostly laughed their butts off at it. I was saying how I saw it. Kathy left early, but Kevin stayed. Again- that's how I saw it. They're my neighbors and my friends. I wasn't involved in writing Cabaret pieces and didn't perform in that particular piece.

id03sp- A majority of my posts are short and take a minute or 2. When I'm on a roll, I've actually taken a few minutes and typed replies in Word to the next post I anticipate, then cut and paste it. Others, I've taken my time with, usually late at night before bed, on nights off when I'm up late on the XBox or just can't sleep. This is a goof for me usually and doesn't interfere with my life outside this forum. In fact, this is my personal Cabaret because I'm usually laughing at most of these posts. Take away all my posts taunting the Bore and we're probably at about 400 posts total. Why not put that sleuthing mind to use and do the math yourself, as you did reading 150 posts from armchairqb? Then you too can look back at 90yrs of age fondly.

Wait a minute! My God, id! You joined a forum and didn't have the wherewithall to come up with a more original handle, instead using 1 number difference from id04sp!!

So you have no imagination and I have no life. Draw.

rsssco 5 years, 9 months ago

I like Matt's posts. At least he has the balls to put his name out there.

meethinks 5 years, 9 months ago

first let it go and leave the family alone, there are other more interesting gossipy things for our entertainment...Ok? Id- come on, Kielbasa may have 1800 posts, but how does this differ from the books that you have left on line?????? Nerneys, give it time, the boat will find someone else to pick on......:)

steamboatsconscience 5 years, 9 months ago

kiel I really miss Bore It hasnt been the same since.

dave reynolds 5 years, 9 months ago

the nerneys(God blesss you) have pissed off someone in the upper etchalon..i truely hope things work out for you..my thoughts and prayers are with you.i agree with most of you let it go it over its done ski time is toast so let it go..seems this is more personal than legal

id03sp 5 years, 9 months ago

If you read my prior posts you'll see that I did it to spite 04. I was sick of his babble and one day I decided I had heard enough. I created my login one number different for that exact purpose. I got a good rise out of him.

id03sp 5 years, 9 months ago

kiel, you were the one who attacked me after you were proven wrong. You were lying when you told digit that Kevin only logs in under his own name. You said it with the authority of a person who had personally asked Kevin. Then you admitted that you hadn't asked him.

All I did was look at what digit said and I challenged everyone to look for themselves and make their own decision. What I said was not any different from digit. You said you wanted proof and when Kevin admitted it you acted like a sore loser who couldn't stand to be wrong.

Grow up kiel

Matthew Stoddard 5 years, 9 months ago

I didn't lie; I never bothered to ask since I didn't really care if Kevin was qb. Didn't even occur to me. LOL! Lighten up, Francis.

Matthew Stoddard 5 years, 9 months ago

Oh, and 1846 posts in approximate 23 months averages out to 2.6ish posts a day. Where does the time go? sigh

Crap. 1847 posts now. Back to the abacus.

Kevin Nerney 5 years, 9 months ago

Will the real Kevin Nerney please stand up.This is the real one as far as I know (wait let me check my ID yes it's me) Now since only 3 people live in my house Myself my wife Kathy and my son Joe and none will admit to the above post that I am armchairqb who accessed my password and revealed that I am armchairqb. Or perhaps someone gave themselves the handle of Kevin Nerney and is impersonating me. I'm not paronoid nor do I give a rats a-- but at 3:58 this afternoon I and the wife were hosing down the screens and washing my illegal windows. Now does anyone else besides my buddy Matt have the balls to come out and admit who they are? ID03sp if I'm such a nasty crimminal do you really think I would care about the pilot's policies? Good bye and I'm out to enjoy the early evening before the sun sets. by the way its not rocket science I'm not that imaginative so if you tried to use my name and used the restaurant or the bar's name you would probably have success. Gee you must be a genuis!!!!!

id03sp 5 years, 9 months ago

kiel, you said at 9:49 AM "Digit- Kevin logs in under his own name". You said this as if you personally knew this to be a fact and you said it with the authority of someone who had asked him and gotten a direct answer.

Then at 4:08 PM you said "Okay- it's from Kevin. Plus, I have no doubt if I had asked Kevin, he'd have told me straight up"

Upon Kevins admission, I took your first comment to be a falsehood. You made a rather bold statement and purported to know the facts and portrayed that to the rest of us. Then you admitted that you didn't.

I'd call that lying. That's all I'm saying. Good night all.

Kevin Nerney 5 years, 9 months ago

Alright smart-ass try logging in as me again and see what happens. Not being a computer guy it took me a while but I changed my password. So unless you know my ex girlfriends stepfathers first wife's maiden name you ain't getting in!!!!!! Armchairqb thanks for the dibbs but I can usually fight my own battles. This one's not worth working up a sweat over.

colobob 5 years, 9 months ago

So much hate in the world, and a lot of it right here in this town and on these posts. Sad! Very sad! I don't even know why I clicked on this article to begin with, curiosity I suppose. Not my kind of journalism. I'm not even sure this qualifies as journalism. To the haters: Let it go, for your hate will only consume you. To the Author & Performers of Caberet: A "roast" is generally harmless and usually done in good taste. This performance was lacking on both counts. "Crucifiction" best describes the performance and its content. To the Neirney's: For what it's worth just some advice. Responding to those making comments with the sole intention of making your lives miserable only adds fuel to the fire. As difficult as it may be to do, ignore them. Let your conscience be your guide and God be your judge. To the Pilot: I can only speak for myself but this is what I consider to be "Garbage Pail" journalism. Surely there must be something better to put in print. Something that promotes Steamboat to the world versus degrading it. To those outside Steamboat reading this: Steamboat is my favorite place in the world, it's a great place and this is not representative of the Steamboat that I know and love. Come and enjoy the wonderful opportunities the 'Boat has to offer. What you read here is not the true flavor of SB. And finally to all who wish this would just go away: Threads like this rely on "hits" to survive. Each and every time you view a thread like this it's a hit. The more hits the longer it survives. This will be my last hit on this particular subject. I derive no satisfaction from seeing this family continually kicked around nor do I think this is the way to portray Steamboat to the world. For what it's worth that's my opinion on this topic and while I admit that I am curious to the response it draws this was "my" last hit! Have a good day and take a kid fishing!

weststmbtres 5 years, 9 months ago

Well said colobob. Kevin says he's not upset but his choice of words say otherwise. Cursing and making threats. Reading his post you can tell he is so mad at these guys he can hardly stand it. Responding to their jabs is only putting fuel on the fire.

Matthew Stoddard 5 years, 9 months ago

Actually, Kevin's cursing was "pretty much" (qualifier for Francis since if you don't know something that wasn't told to you, it's taken as a lie) from someone possibly guessing his password to login under his handle. (Hey- it happened to Average Joe- just ask sbvor! LOL!) He came over and he, Kathy and I talked for a while last night.

weststmbtres 5 years, 9 months ago

I just read this again and I think I finally figured out what the hubbub is about. Very interesting. How do we know Kevin didn't place the comment just to further his argument that there is a conspiracy against him.

Anyway back to the lying accusation Matthew. I would agree. If you were to make a similar statement while in a courtroom on the stand under oath and then be proven wrong it would be lying. The correct and truthful answer would be that you don't know. How can you make a statement reporting something to be a fact when you don't really know if it is a fact or not.

Your admission that you hadn't asked him discredits you.

Matthew Stoddard 5 years, 9 months ago

weststmbtres- Depends on whether you have a good lawyer or are just throwing poop into a fan to see which way it flies...or gathers flies, I guess. The statement I typed reads:

"Digit- Kevin logs in under his own name & Kevin stayed for the whole Cabaret show."

Where did I say in that post, "I know FOR A FACT that Kevin ONLY logs in under his own name and has never used any other login handle."

As you can see, Kevin DOES IN FACT log in under his own name, from the posts that bear his name. I know THIS for a FACT.

sigh. I always say, "It's all in what you actually say; not in what you mean to say."

Okay- I don't always say ^^that^^ exactly. I've said it at least a few times, and maybe not in those exact words but in the same context. Is that a good enough qualifier for you? If not, go thru all 1850ish posts of mine and correct me, please.

Then, remember that when you ask "How do we know Kevin didn't place the comment just to further his argument that there is a conspiracy against him." that the correct and truthful answer would be "That's funny- I could have sworn that sentence was actually a question. Why did I end it with a period instead of a question mark?"

Any other English teachers or Lawyers-in-Training want to scold me?

weststmbtres 5 years, 9 months ago

Oh great!!! Now you've lowered yourself to picking out punctuation typos. It was a question regardless of punctuation. That's really quite juvenile Matthew. Even and English teacher in training could see that.

Look, you don't know if Kevin wrote the mysterious post and I don't know if he didn't. Only he knows, so why does anyone else think they have the right to argue one way or the other on his behalf? It was a rhetorical question that needed no answer. It was written to make that point only.

If you weren't so busy proofreading my comment for punctuation typos then you might have picked up on that.

As for your facts vs. my facts and our use of the almighty English language, let's delve a little deeper into the sentence structure you have chosen to use. I agree Kevin does log in under his own name. I can tell that from the posts as well. That is a fact. However, your statement about Kevin logging in was a response to Digits comment. Digit accused him of logging in under armchairqb. By specifically responding to Digit, your comment contains an implicit fallacy that Kevin logs in under no other names. You then went on to admit you did not know that for a fact when you said it.

In light of Kevin's questionable post, I'm not arguing that Kevin does or doesn't log in under another name. I don't really know or care that much. You however, have proven that you speak without being fully informed of the facts you speak about. End of story.

It's a beautiful day and I've got better things to do than getting in a p%$#ing match with you, although it has been quite fun. I'll check in when I get back from Flaming Gorge on Tuesday.

Matthew Stoddard 5 years, 9 months ago

LMAO! Did someone's thong ride up too high? Tell ya what- you want to argue the case of my statement in court, sue me. Until then, what I typed is what I typed. Sorry if people read too much into it, looking for things that aren't there, but some people have nothing better to do.

For someone who "doesn't care that much," your "choice of words say otherwise." Have fun at the Gorge!

Random_Observations 5 years, 9 months ago

This investigation is about as pointless as giving Charles Manson parole hearings. Its nothing but a waste of tax dollars and a cheap shot at the Nerneys.

Its about time that Steamboat, as a community, move on from all of this. The fascination that some people have with Kevin and Kathy's lives sickens me. Who cares what kind of windows they have in their house! Who cares what name Kevin chooses to post responses under! Does it honestly keep you guys awake at night? What are you people gonna do next, search their garbage and give us a detailed list of everything they ate last week? Maybe show us a report of the gas mileage for their cars?

It is a sad, sad state of affairs when fellow human beings are harassed like this. They do have lives, they do have responsibilities, and they do have a family, and it is disgusting that instead of being able to enjoy their summer together, they have to deal with this pettiness. I HIGHLY suggest that some of you get a life before trying to tell Kevin and Kathy how to run theirs.

Funny to think that a year ago, Kevin was good enough to break his back every week wearing 3 ft. stilts and a sailor costume in the sun, rain and snow at the football games..... how easily people forget the good things they've done for this community.

To Kevin and Kathy, for what its worth, you guys always have and always will have people in this town that support you through the good and bad times. Hang in there.

simplysaid 5 years, 9 months ago

Random_Observations

You must also work rotating shift work...2:01a.m. Graveyard shift my most dreaded.

Sorry for all involved but nothing good ever comes from selling alcohol or consuming it.

Joe_Mama 5 years, 9 months ago

Hmmmm.........Let's see if Joe has this right....

Firstly, Joe has no dog in this fight. Joe has had a few meals at the Summit, the food was tasty, inexpensive, and the service average. Joe is aware of other folks who have had issues with the operation of the bar, mainly musicians, but besides that and the unwavering coverage that this fishwrapper gives to their situation, Joe knows little of the Nerneys.

So, we have a business that has been cited at least a couple of times for liquor violations. Joe is going to assume that those citations were justified. Fine, Pirate's Pub is certainly not the only bar in town that has received these violations. However, after a couple of times, it seems to Joe that a pattern was emerging. If law enforcement knows that prior violations of the law have occured in a certain location, Joe believes that location should expect closer scrutiny. Certainly, camping out on the sidewalk in a feeble attempt to exercise civil disobedience did not help their cause. Joe does find it disturbing that the liquor control officials would decide that Mr. Nerney's ACQUITTAL of sexual harrassment charges should in any way change his ability to operate his own business. However, Joe did get a chuckle out of the - as Joe understands it - the "My back went out and my face went between the girl's boobs" defense.

However, he was acquitted, case closed.

So whatever happened to innocent until proven guilty ?

Joe thinks it is what it is, but if Mr. Nerney was directed as a condition of his license to not be in the bar during business hours, then common sense should have told him not to be there. Joe thinks that getting into a pissing match with the local authorities would be counter-productive to making a living. Joe suspects as well, if the Nerney's had a legal leg to stand on, they would have drug the case through a court and recieved a positive judgement. However, they were in violation of the law and were punished for it. Instead of taking their medicine and moving on, they decided to - again - violate the rules set down on them by the liquor control people.

"Buy the ticket, take the ride" , in the words of the esteemed Hunter S. Thompson.

Again, Joe bears no ill will towards the Nerneys, doesn't even know them, and Joe's heart is warmed by the outpouring of support in these forums from their friends. This alone makes Joe think they can't be all that bad.

But, maybe this issue deserved to be looked at a little more rationally.

Make mistakes, get caught making said mistakes, take your punishment. Maybe they were being "picked on", but if you never give them a reason to pick on you, then you have nothing to worry about.

'Nuff said.

housepoor 5 years, 9 months ago

Thanks Joe, lets put this thread and the whole soap opera to bed and move on.

sbsmon 5 years, 9 months ago

Good point Joe. A lot of businesses got cited for violations but you didn't see them all throwing out a big ol' f@#$ You!!! and flipping off the city council members in the pirate either.

ido3 5 years, 9 months ago

Knock yourself out, Bubba.

The more, the merrier.

id04sp 5 years, 9 months ago

Rules are made to be broken. Don't believe it? How about Judge Hill ordering ACET to return marijuana to a guy who had more than he was allowed under the medical license granted by the state. She told ACET to give back what he was allowed to have.

That's TRAFFICKING under color of law.

If Judge Hill and ACET can break federal law and get away with it, why can't I have more than one ID on here?

I have no beef with Mr. Nerney, and he may have been railroaded by the system, but ya know what? I never went in his bar before, I certainly won't go in there now, and won't knowingly go into a place he runs in the future, because he's not someone I admire. I put him in the same category as Barack Obama. Ted Kennedy. Russel Crowe. Kathy Griffin. Alec Baldwin. Rush Limbaugh. They're all just names in the news who have been associated with outrageous conduct that I don't believe in, and I'm not going to support any of them.

If you don't like what a local businessman is doing, just sqeeze the money tube closed on him, and that will be the end of it. I suspect that he will go somewhere else, be happier in the long run, and he won't miss us any more than we will miss him. That's what I found out, anyway.

bandmama 5 years, 9 months ago

.......I fell in some guys crotch. I was having heart palpitations.....It wasn't a problem. What happened to the boat understanding way of life? oh yeah.... he gave me booze too..... showed me a lincense..................................................... my back side was sore too.....

JohnGalt12 5 years, 9 months ago

Kevin- a friend here. You know who I am as you and I rode around in my BWM Z4. My best advice is get out of Steamboat. I have follwed your story, and this little town BS is beyond amazing. There is no winning play, and throwing good money after bad makes no sense. Before you lose more tell them to kiss off and walk away. No reason for a good man such as yourself to beat your head against a wall. Go somewhere where good men are appreciated, not pursecuted.

You know where I am, in a place that makes sense. Not the stupidity of a "dot on the map" mountain town.

Leave -them- to themselves. They deserve each other and their cesspool of stupidity.

steamberg 5 years, 9 months ago

Kevin, do the crime . . . do the time!!!! Your comment: 'Fact # 3---If the fire escape door was locked why wasn't as summons issued for a locked exit?' Fire escape doors are locked from the outside but not the INSIDE!! please! Get a new life and move on or be a man and pay for your crime - is this really your comment? "We are closing in a Month, who cares if I am here". The law - that's who! Stop wasting our governements time and money.

aworker4progress 5 years, 9 months ago

Like I have said and heard before the truth is always the best lie.

Matthew Stoddard 5 years, 9 months ago

Probably because people like okiegal (who evidently only takes the responsibility upon herself to make sure she has a smoke detector in case she starts cooking after being roofied) start up unsubstantiated rumors about people anonymously. She also seems to be confusing who she's talking about since their name is Nerney and not Nearney, no matter how many articles she (doesn't) read that spells it properly.

okiegal 5 years, 9 months ago

babahahahahahaha

U R FUNNY

unsubstaniated..bahahahahahahahahahahaha

and you're darned straight I make sure I have smoke detectors in my home, hotel, etc etc etc.. I guess I'm smart like that.

I've never been roofied but know tons of women who have been.mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmtay?

Matthew Stoddard 5 years, 9 months ago

Not trying to be funny. Where's your proof? We went thru this before and all you could do is point to an article that offered only interview statements with no proof.

So then it comes to your shampoo commercial response on it: "I know 2 people who've been roofied, and they told 2 people, and they told 2 people, and so on , and so on..." So hearsay is your substantiation, right?

If you think you are that smart, you've got more than "someone told me" when they were probably covering for having a 12 shots in a row, right? Otherwise, them smarts you gots would be laying out all the proof for us & the cops. You know the cops- the ones busting on the Nerneys for everything BUT roofies?

Yep- sounds like someone's making excuses for alcoholism.

okiegal 5 years, 9 months ago

so please tell me why YOU think the cops are out to get the Nerneys?

why do they care?

why do they spend so much time hatin on the nerneys?

and as for being roofied at pirates pub? you think all the ladies were just drunk and made it up? classic

lets hope you don't have a daughter who says she's been roofied and ends up in the hospital or raped ...cuz you'll just say "it's your own fault honey...you were probably drunk"

Matthew Stoddard 5 years, 9 months ago

Why are you asking me the questions? You're the one spouting off crap with no proof; not me. Why aren't you asking the police themselves?

And how many ladies were roofied there, supposedly? From that article you pointed to long ago, only one alluded to it being at that particular location. There was never even a business name put to it. LOL! Last I remember from English classes in grade school "ladies" implies more than one. Where are the others? And this person was so worried about her children, watching the clock, that when this bartender asks her to stay for 1 more drink as they left and ran down the stairs to entice her in to one more drink she said yes because he's "friendly." Now that's service! Personally, it makes me question judgement right there. Does that mean she deserved to be drugged? Never. Does that make me believe her automatically? No- it makes me think that just like you want put the smoke detector issue on David, this woman didn't use proper judgement.

When I used to drink and sit at a bar, all I'd ever hear (and not just directed at me, but to others sitting at the bar) "Would you like another?" Not once in any bars that I've frequented in the past (and that a LOT of bars) have I ever seen bartenders run after people to offer them one more drink, but that's just me being a lush back in the day. Maybe I occupied too much of the bartender's time.

I don't know this "Amy" in the article or maybe I do. Was she roofied? Maybe. Maybe not. All I know is that like crying "Rape" when it didn't happen (and we know this happens plenty of times), crying "Roofie" can become an excuse for idiotic behavior just like crying "Wolf."

CoJustice 5 years, 9 months ago

Okiegal

Why don't you go down to the police department and request a copy of the report, and then get a copy of the Court transcripts. I think you will have the information your looking for.

Personally, if someone in my family was subject to unwanted contact that communicates a direct or indirect threat and causes them to fear for her safety, that person would probably be registering as a sex offender by now, now camping on the sidewalk.

The police are doing their job. What about victim's rights? And what about the safety of the community, which we charge the State Authorities to enforce?

Kevin Chapman 5 years, 9 months ago

I know the young woman who he accosted and i think he was surely out of line. His wife should be the one taking care of this situation. But ohhhh i am sure she is well aware of what kind of man she is married to. Maybe she has just been exposed to it for so long now that she has become complacent. Too bad for her to have to endure such a person

spukomy 5 years, 9 months ago

kiel, I was speaking with a female co-worker, years ago, who swore she was roofied at the Inferno. Her story was; got off work as a cocktail waitress, had 2 beers, went to the Inferno, doesn't remember after that. Then I spoke to the bartender who served her before the Inferno. She had multiple beers and multiple shots then went downstairs for a couple more hours of drinking. It was becoming more common, back then, that girls started using the roofie excuse for their own overindulgences.

Matthew Stoddard 5 years, 9 months ago

spukomy- And this is what screws it up for people when it really happens. On one hand, it's easy to drug this way since it washes out of the system pretty quickly. On the other hand, it's easy to use it as an excuse for bad behavior for the same reasoning that it can't be proved otherwise.