Routt County Commissioner Nancy Stahoviak and Paul Draper, the county's road and bridge director, discuss plans for signs along Routt County Road 36 through Strawberry Park at a meeting Monday.

Photo by John F. Russell

Road striping set for Wednesday

County commissioners discuss signage needs for C.R. 36

— County Road 36 is scheduled to be striped Wednesday, despite public opposition and a divided Routt County Board of Commissioners.

The commissioners voted, 2-1, in favor of the new striping last week. The striping will widen lanes by a foot and reduce the road's shoulders from 5 feet to 4 feet. Commissioner Diane Mitsch Bush was the dissenting vote.

During a work session at the Routt County Courthouse on Monday, the commissioners discussed additional signage for the road with Road and Bridge Director Paul Draper. They agreed that all users of that road - motorists and cyclists - should be reminded to share the road. Commissioner Nancy Stahoviak recommended an additional sign just below the speed limit sign reminding drivers to obey the speed limit.

"I want to make sure we have saturation," Commissioner Doug Monger said about the number of speed limit signs for the road. He said he drove C.R. 36 late last week and that he thinks there is a shortage of signs.

Mitsch Bush expressed concern when Draper estimated it would take a month before new signs were received and posted, and that they wouldn't be up in time for the Fourth of July. Mitsch Bush also felt it was important that motorists be considerate to cyclists and avoid honking horns or throwing things at them.

Her remarks were cut off by Stahoviak, who recommended that the discussion be reserved for a broader community conversation so that all user groups on the road could be heard. Although there is no date set for a public discussion, Stahoviak said it should be held in the fall because people are busy enjoying the summer.

All three commissioners indicated that they had heard from members of the public and the Routt County Sheriff's Office that deputies were on C.R. 36 last weekend enforcing the speed limit.

Before Monday's discussion ended, Stahoviak said, "We would appreciate it if cyclists travel single file on that road when vehicles are around and that motorists obey the speed limit."

- To reach Kristi Mohrbacher, call 871-4243 or e-mail kmohrbacher@steamboatpilot.com

Comments

colobob 6 years, 5 months ago

If this won't be presented to the community until the fall wouldn't it make since to postpone the striping until then? Souldn't the citizens be heard beforehand to hear what the majority of the populace want. Aren't the commisioners in place to serve the best interests of all the people? Putting the cart before the horse has never made any sense unless those doing so had an agenda in the first place. Listen to the people before taking action. Postpone, meet, discuss, listen, and then decide on a course of action that will serve the majority rather than the minority.

steamboatyahoo 6 years, 5 months ago

How wide are those lanes on main street? Not much room for bikes there but it is illegal to ride on the sidewalks.

comtboy 6 years, 5 months ago

colobob, just because the majority of the populace want something (if indeed they do) it does not make it the right thing to do. There are others more eductated than you making the decisions based on knowledge and background that you do not have.

I am not a supporter of Nancy, but hate it when a few residents get angered when something adversely affects them and they try to stir up trouble. I do not know you and I am sure if I saw you in Safeway or City Market I would be cordial, but across the country there are design standards for motorized/non-motorized travel based on empirical research. It is a shame that when the original decision was made it was not made taking into account normal and acceptable design standards.

Put it into perspective. It is 1 foot off of a 5 foot lane. There is still 4 feet of riding space. I am sorry, but when I ride I do not need 4 feet to safely navigate. Unless you need to go back and take riding lessons I am sure you too will have plenty of room to navigate safely. In those instances when you do have to pass another slow rider it is very easy to move to the left of the white line for the two to three seconds.

colobob 6 years, 5 months ago

So both my educational backround (of which you obviously no nothing) and my inexperience ( again of which you know nothing) as a rider preclude me from having an opinion on leaving the lane as it stands? Actually both might surprise you, although in all honesty I've traded in my bike for a pair of waders these days. That said as a motorist I have no problem leaving the lanes as they are now. I'm never in so much of a hurry that I have a problem yielding to a rider be they on a bike or on horseback or a pedesrian or jogger. If I need to be someplace I allow myself plenty of time to get there. I obey the speed limit and refrain from using my cell phone while driving. In short as a motorist I use courtesy and common sense whenever I get behind the wheel of a car or in my case pickup which I realize by your response must back me some kind of a hillbilly or redneck. Lastly I take exception that the opinions or wishes of the majority have no value in this or any matter concerning or effecting the community as a whole. Why not see what the majority wants and who the majority is? Maybe the majority are those that desire the change, then again maybe not. As far as supporting people in general is concerned I tend to suport OR oppose the issues rather than the people themselves. Enjoy the grocery store, I think I'll pass on that one.

BoatMaster 6 years, 5 months ago

Click on the picture and see her pointing strongly at Paul Draper to make her point.

Nancy Stahoviak wants it done her way!

addlip2U 6 years, 5 months ago

Time for Nancy Stahoviak to pass the gavel to someone that represents the citizens of the community.

justathought 6 years, 5 months ago

Hang on to that gavel Stahoviak, addlip only thinks he/she is speaking for the entire citizenry.

justathought 6 years, 5 months ago

boat, look at the picture a little closer, the way her thumb and forefinger are positioned looks to me like she's showing a measurement of some sort. Evidently you didn't get your way on this subject.

rsssco 6 years, 5 months ago

She's indicating how much of Draper's manhood will be left if he doesn't do as she says.

comtboy 6 years, 5 months ago

colobob, unless you are a traffic engineer, planner, or individual with such a background/education to weigh in on infrastructure issues that would make your opinion of any real value (outside of the "I just don't like it variety) it is just that opinion. Not to downgrade your opinion, as I am sure you are an expert in your chosen field, but I would like to listen to our representatives seek the advice of those more educated in these matters. (Remember, it was a screw up in '95 that put us in this position in the first place).

I know that this is harsh, but yes there are times that the majority does not provide value and should not weigh in. For example what if I convince 30 of your neighbors that you should move you need to move? Sicne the majority has weighed in you should pack up your belongings and leave our valley. Where is the logic in that? I can think of many decisions throughout history that were made on the premise of "listen to the majority" that were nothing less than atrocities.

Besides, public opinion was sought in '95 and listened to... that is why we are even debating today.

In matters such as this neither you, (again making assumptions on your background, which one must do when an individual does not represent him/herself as an expert in a given area) nor I for that matter, have the pre-requisite knowledge, skills or abilities to weigh in on what a "safe" width of a road is for all users to enjoy it.

I say our efforts are better spent ensuring that there is AT LEAST a minimum shoulder on other heavily used roads are meet minimal safety standards for all users.

Sorry, I still say the compromise seems like a good one based on what other municipalities do and the recommendations of AASHTO for road design standards. Lower the speed limit and there is no problem (but that is not a popular suggestion either).

colobob 6 years, 5 months ago

With the exception of your neighbor scenerio you have some valid points. I feel that some of my arguements have some validity as well so I'm afraid we will just have to agree to disagree on this one. This issue as far as my personal use of CR 36 doesn't have much of an impact on me. It does however impact the community as a whole and to arbitrarily make a decision like this without imput from the entire community is plain wrong. The community hasn't heard from the so-called experts of which you speak, only from the (3) county commissioners with one of the three dissenting. It would seem logical therefor to open this up to a public forum to listen, discuss, educate, and then decide on the appropriate coarse of action. As it stands right now it only looks as though it will be done to appease someone with political influence. Why the rush to get this change made immediately without debate, it's been like this for some time. Would it hurt to discuss and think this through first or should decisions be made willy nilly to satisfy one person with political clout? Enforcement of the rules of the road seems to be a more logical solution to the problem. Cite ALL who don't comply and watch the drastic change it would produce. Having someone "in my way" is not a valid arguement to restripe the road.

bandmama 6 years, 5 months ago

Just out of couriosity, did anyone else see the jerk this morning heading west in the east bound lanes (right hand lane) on Lincoln? No helmet, nothing, not a care in the world, as two SB Cops were heading west? Now... I really think that bikers like this one give so many a bad name. Perhaps if they were held responsible for thier stupid actions, the rest of us would not get our danders up so easily. Sorry, but with traffic already congested on Lincoln, this guy was an accident waiting to happen. I had to go into the turning lane to allow the guy next to me space in his lane. I had to slow down considerably (thank you so much to the person behind me that was paying attention and for having good brakes:)!!!) so as not to hit the person trying to turn properly..in HIS lane (thanks to you as well for paying attention! and knowing I was not the idiot at fault) just so Mr Bike Man could ride his little trike..... sorry, I am usually a really laid back person. But I really wanted to go back and scream at the jerk.... had to stop myself, well, not really...the traffic was backed up.... so this jerk would merrily wind his way on the wrong side of the street...on his bike.

Fred Duckels 6 years, 5 months ago

bikers are okay in my book but they need to keep the monkey on their back. enough of the guilt trips and the victim role is wearing thin.

nondescript1 6 years, 5 months ago

It's too bad they let the cat out of the bag that they were going to change the sizes of the lanes.How much time and effort has been expended on this from both sides? I haven't been out there lately myself, can one still see the old lines? I bet if they had just kept tight lips on this people wouldn't even have noticed the change.

steamboatyahoo 6 years, 5 months ago

bandmama

take three deep breaths and relax. take three more breaths and relax some more.

BoatMaster 6 years, 5 months ago

justathought.

Maybe I didn't get it my way. I never did or will ride my bike on the road in question. But I know it is important to change the way we all think and make safe bike riding a priority.

This includes bikes and motorists obeying the laws.

Almost all bikers are also drivers so the argument of auto drivers against bikers doesn't work because it is actually a argument between auto drivers and other auto drivers that also bike.

The person who made this decision "Nancy Stahoviak" obviously is not a bike rider (look at photo) and is used to getting her way. Maybe since she is not a bike rider she should not be the decision maker or at least form a committee that includes bicycle advocasy groups for a decision that benefits all.

Nancy Stahoviak is just flexing her political weight and it seems she will continue to do so. This is wrong no matter what side of the argument you are on. Next time she will push a decision down your throught that you don't agree with and you will think of me.

comtboy 6 years, 5 months ago

colobob, You bring up some valid points, but my main point is that it is rare that administrative actions such as this by elected (or appointed) representatives are brought up for public comment. Now, if they were going to widen the entire road surface such that it affects adjoining property owners or decide to re-zone the area that would should be something that would require public comment. Sometimes we just want to have too much say so and have nothing of real value to add.

In many municipalities (including one I was formerly a part of) public comment is "sought" but in reality it is a way to pat you on your little head and say "I understand what you are saying, but it is not changing our mind".

I agree with nondescript... too bad they let it out before it was done.

In all likelihood the reason to "hurry" is that a contractor was probably already lined up and a deposit pre-paid. A change in schedule would have likely resulted in an increase in costs (not an unlikely scenario for government contractors)... no conspiracy here; so those of you who are looking for one; stop.

bandmama 6 years, 5 months ago

steamboatyahoo- thank you for the advice....LOL! I really am thankful that other drivers were paying attention. I was just not my normal laidback self...when I realized how many lives could have been changed by one selfish thoughtless person. What if someone had hit him? What if I or another driver had hit each other? The jerk didn't even have the decency to ride going the right way in the right lane. In all honesty, aren't we all sort of used to bikers going the right way on main street????

Matthew Stoddard 6 years, 5 months ago

BoatMaster- From the picture, what makes you think Nancy doesn't ride a bike? All I see is her face. Granted, I don't see a bike in the background & people who know her know that she had part of her leg amputated in 2005, but considering that her leg isn't in the picture or mentioned in the article...how did you come to that conclusion?

For your reading pleasure.

steamboatyahoo 6 years, 5 months ago

bandmama

personally I just ride down the sidewalk since there is no room on Lincoln for bicycles. I know someone is going to write here that this is against the law, but just telling the truth. The fact is I've been riding down Lincoln sidewalks since I was 7 and have never gotten a ticket.

dogd 6 years, 5 months ago

WE HAVE A WINNER!!

I would like to nominate the Great Strawberry Park Line Caper as the ALLTIME overblown non-issue in the history of Steamboat Springs Colo.

Folks- there is no forcefield associated with those lines. The 12 inch margin change will not prevent or cause ANY FREAKIN THING.

How about discussing a PROBLEM???

Good Day

bandmama 6 years, 5 months ago

Question, (and yes I really would like some opinions on this) Why, during this time of heavy construction and traffic and such, cant bike riders just detour to Oak and Yampa? Steamboatyahoo, I personally dont have issues with riding a bike on the sidewalk, no worse to me than a super double wide baby stoller that CANT move to either side without difficulty. My big concern and it is getting to be more of a concern is the issue of bike riders who has no respect for the laws that have been put into place for thier own safety. Think about it, as a bike rider, most of us have brain power to move to the side of the road when a vehicle that weighs a HECK of a lot more than we do is coming up behind us. BUT it is the few that dont that cause problems for everyone. Lincoln and a few other roads, River Road, ect... are dangerous enough with just the motor vehicles, you add a biker with no regard for others, you are just asking for someone to be hurt. Look at the young man hit the other day at 13th steet, per wittnesses, he blew through against the light and is a VERY lucky young man not to have been killed. What I would like to see, is more enforcement of the laws by our police dept. Ticket a few riders make examples of them and let those few that dont follow the laws know that it wont be tolerated. My example from yesterday is a good one. At LEAST three cars could have been hit, damaged, or involved in an accident had those three drivers NOT been paying such close attnetion to what????? A bike rider going the wrong way. I firmly believe that the Boat should be a bike friendly town, and is for the most part. IF the riders are to stupid or stubborn to move out of the way, it is up to the rest of us, the public to keep them and us safe....ahhh right????

bandmama 6 years, 5 months ago

dogd..... excellent point, the forcefield is NOT on the stripes.. it encases each of those riders as described in my last post.....

summerbird 6 years, 5 months ago

I am sure all the bike riders and their unintentional adversaries - auto drivers on all the other county roads would appreciate even a 4 foot shoulder.

Quit complaining and get to work on the roads that have no shoulders.

Token 6 years, 5 months ago

I'm a motorist and a biker and not happy about this decision at all. But come on, Boatmaster..the woman is in a freakin' wheelchair. Complain about her politics but don't make it personal. Some of you people are worse than children.

BoatMaster 6 years, 5 months ago

Token and Kielbasa

Ok I will go a little further to explain. I was paralyzed for 1 year. Then weelchair and now walking. Had to re-learn to walk and must still work on walking everyday. A form of MS that attacks my muscles and nerves and will only get worse over time.

I do ride a bike to keep the old legs working but not on this busy road for sure.

When you are in a handicap situation you really think differently about a lot of things. When I have a bad day and someone holds the door for me at a store it really, really means a lot. Other days not so much.

My comment is that she is not thinking about bike riders at all. She is concerned that her husband is nervous about driving the road so she is going to get the stripes changed and thats that. If bike riding was part of her life her thought process would be much different.

I know my thoughts changed dramatically for me of what is important in my life. I on the other hand try to keep thinking about others needs at the same time and not just what satisfys my needs. There were no requests for input from others on this decision.

Sorry to offend, but reality does that some times.

The decision was made so I am finished with my input. Have a nice day.

Matt Boatman

Token 6 years, 5 months ago

Well put and appreciated, Matt B. Individual life experience definately shapes how we look at situations and explains our variety of viewpoints - all of which I appreciate even if I disagree.

This may too, explain some of the BITTERNESS that these threads contain, although its difficult to appreciate that. I say lets all have our say, but the personal attacks that constantly get posted in these threads really reflect on the attackers, not those attacked...

I love intelligent debate and learning about all the angles, but geez I don't hear the point when it gets personal and nasty.

colobob 6 years, 5 months ago

"Ole Bob would like to wish you all a Safe and Happy 4th of July!"

colowoodsman 6 years, 5 months ago

Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't Doug Monger the Commisioner from the Steamboat district, Nancy represents south Routt and Diane west Routt? Assumming most of the CR 36 users are from SS shouldn't you be directing your flack at Doug? I saw Nancy over the holiday and told her I supported her decision. She indicated she had heard many such comments. Fortunately Doug and Nancy have been around long enough to know what is best for RC.