Man arrested for assaulting officer

Littleton man faces felony charges for altercation with Steamboat Springs police at Ski Jam

— A Littleton man remained in Routt County Jail on Tuesday after a Ski Jam incident in which he allegedly assaulted a Steamboat Springs police officer.

Karsen Timothy Johnson, 20, was booked Sunday morning into Routt County Jail on felony charges of second-degree assault on a police officer and resisting arrest, and a misdemeanor charge of possessing alcohol as a minor. He also received a fugitive of justice charge for a prior criminal mischief incident.

Johnson was arrested at the special events tent in Steamboat Ski Area's Upper Knoll parking area Saturday night, during the North Mississippi Allstars' performance at the Ski Jam event.

"He was creating a disturbance at the tent. He was up near the front, allegedly harassing the band members," Sgt. Dale Coyner of the Steamboat Springs Police Department said Tuesday.

Coyner and officers John McCartin and Gerard Geis, who were working in plainclothes at the event, confronted Johnson, who appeared highly intoxicated and possibly under the influence of drugs, Coyner said.

Geis also recognized Johnson as having a warrant out for his arrest, in connection with a 2007 incident involving a kicked-in door at a Walton Pond apartment, Coyner said.

Johnson was detained and taken outside the tent. While police were waiting to transport him to the Routt County Jail, Johnson sat down in the snow, and the officers let him stay there since he was being "belligerent and mouthy," Coyner said.

While seated, Johnson allegedly slipped one of his hands out of the handcuffs, then stood and struck Coyner in the face. Coyner sustained minor injuries, including a lip laceration from the handcuffs.

Due to Johnson's age and level of intoxication, the jail refused to accept him until he had been sent to detox, Coyner said.

Other than Johnson's arrest and a few citations issued to minors in possession of alcohol, the special events this month at the ski area have been relatively "quiet," Coyner said.

Security has been provided in two ways at the special events tent this month: Steamboat Ski and Resort Corp. pays for uniformed officers to provide security, and the Steamboat Springs Police Department also has provided plainclothes officers using funds from a federal Enforcement of Drinking Laws grant, Coyner said. The grant also funds liquor law compliance checks at local restaurants and liquor stores.

Johnson is due to appear in Routt County Court at 1 p.m. today.

Comments

colobob 6 years, 11 months ago

ania, seems like respect isn't the only thing that you and some of your friends are lacking. Way cool? Way immature is more likely. C'mon back when you grow up and have attained some values. For now don't let the mountain hit you in the butt on your way out.

colobob 6 years, 11 months ago

..............and wordlife, you probably won't find me on the mountain but if you can find a stretch of open water on the Elk or Yampa come on out. I'll be the grey haired guy fly fishing. Oh, and bring your ski pole you can use it as a wading staff. I'll teach you how to "bob" for trout while your there.

thecondoguy1 6 years, 11 months ago

ania and wordlife have to be the same person, there are not two direlect adolescents with access to a computer that late at night, I am glad you all got to see this "potty talker" before it was removed, staff ain't in yet.

id04sp 6 years, 11 months ago

These two are the kind that will look for a job in a music shop so they can steal CDs.

Too bad we did away with spanking. Canon City and lethal injection are SO much more trouble and expense . . . .

ColoradoNative 6 years, 11 months ago

Getting cuffed is one thing. Slipping out of them and swinging at a cop will get you thrown in jail.

What is there to discuss?

little_liza 6 years, 11 months ago

I cant say that I wouldn't be a little upset if I had to sit in a snow bank and wait for my ride to jail too.

justathought 6 years, 11 months ago

Does anyone know how it went in court for this guy? We can only hope his friend posting above was there to speak out on his behalf; with friends like that, who needs enemies.

Hadleyburg_Press 6 years, 11 months ago

tourist, You are right. The legal system here is harsh, so tell all of your buddies like Mr. Johnson to stay away. If strangers with an ongoing rap sheet history are coming to Steamboat for a little R&R and sympathy then they are going to get it at the Gray Bar hotel. You are going to have to work alot harder to be respected by any member of this community. We don't want to be your wet nurse. Hard work and a less selfish approach to life and one day you might be more than just a stranger.

digit1964 6 years, 11 months ago

they should have beat him with the billy club...

letomayo 6 years, 11 months ago

armqb, Myller wants to move ahead? That sounds like one of his friends must have been involved in the lost money? Was it really LOST or used on something we're not toldabout? Your comment about Myller's comment says it should be investigated. Is it worth paying some money (how much) to find out about the LOST money? 1.4 milion is alot of money to be LOST. It sounds like the Iraq bilions that is LOST. We didn't find out about those bilions how can we find out about 1.4 milion. wouldn't a outside accountent be able to find out where the money is? if what you say is true isn't the city council responsible to find out where it is or went?

ColoNative 6 years, 11 months ago

pt22 - sounds like you need a refresher course yourself. if the cop puts the cuffs on too tight, then people scream police brutality. if the cop puts them on just right, the crook still screams that the cuffs are too tight. if the cuffs are on too loose, or if the bad guy has small wrists, then they get slipped off. it's a no-win situation for all, especially with all the "hindsight" judges around. I would bet that the bad guy never got close to the cop's gun.....

id04sp 6 years, 11 months ago

So much for the value of "POST" certification, huh?

mud 6 years, 11 months ago

Police brutality because hand cuffs are too tight? Has that ever made it to trial anywhere? Many cops' general rule on the tightness of handcuffs is "you ain't felt nothing yet". Ask any cop you know if they put cuffs on too loose in fear of the perp complaining and you'll get laughed at. The cop screwed up and is fortunate he only got a sucker punch. good one id.

mountaingirl33 6 years, 11 months ago

pt22-

Karsen is a very skinny, lanky young man- I can see how he would have been able to slip out of the cuffs- especially if he (as the story reported) was sitting in the snow.

They should have hog tied him-lol

armchairqb 6 years, 11 months ago

The heck with the jerk who got himself arrested. That's what cops are supposed to do. My concern with the article is the misapropreation of funds. State grant money for liquor enforcement should not and can not legally be used for under cover plain clothes security . Just like the other article in the paper about the planning dept. and a missing 1.4 million dollars. Then Myller says lets not look back only forward. Oh I get it, I'll steal today and tomorrow you can't look back and investigate so everything is fine and we'll just move on. Give me a break. They should rename this town Crookhaven.

mountaingirl33 6 years, 11 months ago

paddlefisher-

I agree. Thanks for saying what I cannot.

merkinwsp 6 years, 11 months ago

native-shut-up-please-thats one of thew dumbest comments. cop screwed up-period!...unfortunately, he got smacked...prob...(not to be harsh to the cop) but, that's a cheap lesson in life for him when it comes to cuffing a kid higher than a hindu on gandhi's b'day....

tourist 6 years, 11 months ago

I feel as if the legal system here in Steamboat is particularly harsh. Perhaps it is like this all over the States. No one knows what life is like for a stranger. No thought is put into their history. You may say hello to a passerby only to receive a blank stare, or a rude remark. But you have no idea what this perons life is like. It takes all types to make up the world.
Just a wrap sheet is all they see. Karsen is going to have the book thrown at him. Which is the complete opposite of what he needs.

Ilike2dv8 6 years, 11 months ago

tourist. I'm sure your right, he just needs a big hug and he will start being responsible for his actions and become a model citizen. If we only had a planet for those of you who actually believe this stuff we might all walk around a little safer.

tourist 6 years, 11 months ago

It sounds as if the locals are just as cruel. Tourism is what keeps this place alive. You "locals" sound quite conceited. Why even come to Steamboat if your are going to be mistreated?

Hadleyburg_Press 6 years, 11 months ago

tourist, I personally have nothing against "tourists" and in fact welcome them as I would any law abiding person. This is a wonderful place to live and visit. It is filled with some of the most giving and caring people that I have ever had the pleasure to know. However, if you think that arresting a drunk / drugged out thug who creates a nuisance and then assualts a member of our police force is "mistreatment" then you would not be welcome in my house. If that makes me cruel and conceited then so be it.

corduroy 6 years, 11 months ago

Sadly its not just tourists that break the laws here.. more often than not its the locals getting DUIs and causing havoc in bars..

At least, from what I've seen, the real joys are those who live here.

Hadleyburg_Press 6 years, 11 months ago

corduroy, My apparent conceit and cruelty applies to miscreant locals as well...

thecondoguy1 6 years, 11 months ago

well ain't that something, I got removed before sbvor, I can't believe it, I am just going to have to go along with what he/she said as well as Hadleyburg, but it's a good thing I wasn't the arresting officer, Mr. Johnson would have been a real mess, I don't need the job.............

dave reynolds 6 years, 11 months ago

Touristia..if he has a patten of disobeying the law at twenty..what in Gods name makes you think he will change the pattern is set..I'lll bet 1000 dollars he will be a habitual offender..and in the system for life./.has nothing to do with Staeamboat not wanting tourists..your welcome just play by the rules

Hadleyburg_Press 6 years, 11 months ago

little_liza, Would you be upset with yourself for having created the mess that you were in, or would you externalize your utter selfishness and lash out at innocent people with violence and blame? By the age of twenty I would hope the latter wouldn't you?

colobob 6 years, 11 months ago

SOME tourists feel that because they don't reside in the places they are visiting that they can do and act as they please without regard for those that do live there. Theft, malicious damage, disorderly conduct, along with a total disregard for others are what some bring to the boat. Those are the folks everyone can do without. People just don't vacation here, some actually live here. A little respect is no less than you would ask of others visiting your community. There's nothing wrong with having a good time and enjoying yourself as long as it's not at the expense of others. Conceited? Maybe you and SOME of your friends would like Vail much better.

bartender 6 years, 11 months ago

Wow, finally this guys friends make an appearance and really great impression. What a stand up guy he must be for suffering while sitting in the snow. We all need friends like these guys (sophisticated, obviously well educated, and articulate). I see Karsen was definitely mislabeled and poorly judged by his actions. He deserves more credit. After all, he hangs out with guys that are the late night crowd at the K&G.

tncville 6 years, 11 months ago

I have visited Steamboat Springs before and thought it was one of the most beautiful places I have been in the U.S. I know that it is sometimes hard to see the beauty in a place that you spend so much time in but as a tourist I want you all to know that you have a very special place you live in and should be very proud to live there. Unfortunately there are always going to be those who do not respect their enviornment, others or even themselves. None of us know the situations, conditions or circumstances that others are facing but we are all children of GOD and we all can and will influence others.... It's only a matter of what that influence will be... Positive of Negative I Love your town

bartender 6 years, 11 months ago

Two examples (ania and wordlife, well I guess you can throw Karsen in there too) I never went to the Space Station, don't go to K&G, and will never send my son to CMC. The lowest standards in Steamboat attract the most undesirable and obviously ignorant kids who all hangout together.

But as "tourist" said, we shouldn't discipline them. Hopefully their comments and profiles aren't deleted either, because that would be to harsh. {Not to mention they are a testament to exactly what type of individuals these guys are.} They should be allowed to lash out and be as disrespectful as they wish, right tourist? Say and do what they want and have no consequence. I am grateful my parents believed in harsh and strong discipline and respect for others.

Oh and Tourist; didn't mean any disrespect if either of these guys are your child. I am sure they make you proud.

dundalk 6 years, 11 months ago

wordlife and ania: when my kids were young, 5-8 y/o, they engaged in the nonsense of "potty talk". I am appalled at the baloney you two are shoveling on this forum. Your comments have absolutely nothing to do with the topic at hand and all you are accomplishing is a swift thread of degrading yourselves. Maybe you don't care, who knows?

If you were my kids, I'd be shoving a large cake of soap in your mouths right about now and then sending you to your rooms for a day to think about the crap you've spewed. Sadly, it appears that you are scraping at the bottom of the barrel or have regressed back into the days of ignorance and self contempt.

Good luck to you both in your worthless futures.

mountaingirl33 6 years, 11 months ago

And to the rest of you locals, and Steamboat lovers

I must say your responses are both well thought out and from a high intelligence level. You all odiously see as plain as day what most adults see when they read a story such as this.

You're all part of the reason I stayed in Steamboat 7 years ago, what a great group of people to live in paradise with!! Thank you for affirming my feelings about this valley and the people who live here YEAR ROUND!!!

BoatMaster 6 years, 11 months ago

Dear Pilot

Pease don't erase the ridiculas comments that were posted last night. (many towards me)I am sure some people will ask you to.

They clearly show the type of person that supports this individual in the article that was arrested and they do it in a way much better than any one of us could have described in our writings.

BoatMaster 6 years, 11 months ago

You guys are/girls are great!

Sometime in the future if you ever grow up you will read your own comments back and see what a drain on society you are.

There is nothing I have to say to prove it, you said it all. HA ha.

Everyone is laughing at your excellent comments!! Cant wait for more.

BoatMaster 6 years, 11 months ago

Summary

This guy is a piece of dirt and Steamboat is better whithout him.

id04sp 6 years, 11 months ago

Aren't these kids cute? They think they invented sex, drugs and rock-n-roll.

Well, the truth is, once you get out of high school or CMC and try to get a job, the economy sorts out the winners from the losers.

Sounds like mclovin has an oral fixation. Anybody want to bet there's in interest in coprofilia too? Coprophagia, perhaps? Judging from what's coming out, I'd say we can guess what's going in.

madmoores 6 years, 11 months ago

Good job pilot, they were erasing them as I was asking them to. Sorry folks, this is a public forum read by people of all ages. I do not want to have to explain to my kid what a "pork pole sandwich" is or what "tag teaming" someones wife is. I will continue to ask for removal, this is not the place for that type of discussion. To those posting this spew, grow up. Do you really think your getting your point across by speaking to, or about, others that way? When you can get your opinion out like a true human instead of some animal, come on back.

mountaingirl33 6 years, 11 months ago

In my line of work I have found one thing to be true; these folks (like the two who posted those comments before they were removed-ps good job Pilot) are normally American, between the ages of 18 & 22. They are spoiled, just out of their parent's house, and think they know everything. They are here just for the ski season and then if all goes well, they leave at the end of the season. We can all breathe easy knowing these folks are not planning to be long term or year round residents of our peaceful valley.

Matthew Stoddard 6 years, 11 months ago

Who knows: these might be the kids of some of you who post here normally. How would you know different, unless you don't any have kids? Plus, why wouldn't they follow suit of other longer-time posters who have been banned and come back with a new handle? Seems to be pretty easy to do when anonymous.

madmoores 6 years, 11 months ago

Agreed. My kid is 7 and if it is her, there is a bar of soap with her name on it. Rest assured, it's not her, she doesn't even know Steamboat has a newspaper;)

mountaingirl33 6 years, 11 months ago

matt-

unfourtunately I believe all three are seasonal tenants-

(we talked about this in the ponds parking lot a few weeks ago) with out giving away my identity I work with you-

Matthew Stoddard 6 years, 11 months ago

Gotcha, MG33! It could be tenants, but we've already seen a school class print their letters in the Blog section a couple months ago, and others have gotten into regular posts on these threads.

madmoores- kids don't need to know there's an actual newspaper to find the site. They just have to Google Steamboat forums with no quotes or +'s and Steamboat Pilot is 8th on the list today. With today's kids being weened on computers, they'll find stuff most of us would never know how to find.

mountaingirl33 6 years, 11 months ago

matt-

I see what you're saying. I am just making a judgment call based on how those two seemed to stand up for Karsen. The tone of their posts gave me the indication that they know Karsen. It could also be bored Stmbt kids, but I would hope most of the kids in this town are too tired from skiing and boarding to be up at 2am.

colowoodsman 6 years, 11 months ago

Sounds like alot of you have 'tried and convicted Karsen already' for this 'alleged incident'

mountaingirl33 6 years, 11 months ago

I would bet that since he has been to court, this is no longer considered an 'alleged incident'.

mountaingirl33 6 years, 11 months ago

not to mention that his history (as reported by the article) speaks for it's self.

mountaingirl33 6 years, 11 months ago

Once again we see the high level of intelligence of karsens friends, you all are winners!!!!!

colobob 6 years, 11 months ago

"To Protect and Serve" is a police officers duty. That's what they do for those of us that obey the law and even for those among us who don't. As far as face down in the snow goes, face down is the safest position to put an unruly person. Thats how law enforcement officers are trained to do it. It's safest for ALL concerned. It's just common sense. Twice the size? Maybe next time an incident like this happens there should be a "weigh in" and a referee should be present to make sure it's a fair fight. In almost every case like this when law enforcement officers are doing their job there is always someone that will cry Police Brutality. Yet when that very same person needs help who is the first person they turn to for help? Police brutality with a crowd of people standing around? I doubt it. More likely reasonable force. Maybe if this young man had acted responsibly in the first place this situation could have been avoided. When you resist arrest you have to expect more than a handshake and a pat on the back.

bartender 6 years, 11 months ago

Having met Karsen before, I'd say he's maybe 110 pounds. And knowing Officer Coyner, who is firstly a very nice and respectable officer, and towers over and eclipses a person of Karsens size. That kid would have to be nuts to swing at him. So I am not surprised; he's nuts.

And Mr Woodsman: How do you "allegedly" hit a cop? There was a crowd outside the tent when this happened and 2 other cops right there. Mass hallucination?

colobob 6 years, 11 months ago

I think young Karsen suffers from the same affliction that many including myself have suffered from at one point in our lives - "beer muscles!" I wouldn't be a bit surprised if the Walton Pond incident was a result of the same affliction. It's too bad he had to take a swipe at the officer, they might have just locked him up in protective custody until he sobered up. Now he has much bigger problems to worry about. Hopefully this young man has learned something about the effects of alchol abuse. It took me a while to figure it out hopefully it won't take him as long. It's a shame that the best learned lessons in life are those learned the hard way, sometimes that's what it takes.

JQPUBLIC 6 years, 11 months ago

Yes, there is always two sides to a story and unfortunately many times it comes down to the sober side vs the drunk side. Obviously I put more credibility on the sober side.

colobob 6 years, 11 months ago

in a polite way can someone tell me of blackbirds remarks or what they eluded to? I didn't get a chance to read them before they were removed.

thecondoguy1 6 years, 11 months ago

"beer muscles" pretty cute, I think I had those once myself, along with "beer brain" you'er absolutley correct, no future in that.............

dave reynolds 6 years, 11 months ago

unfortunately for him mommy and daddy will take care off eevrything he'll go on his merry way and not have learned athing until that is he goes goes to big boy jail aka prison..how sad he is on that path

bartender 6 years, 11 months ago

That's funny, look back at one of my previous posts from a few months ago and you'd see I mentioned I am (and so is my girlfriend) a certified personal trainer. We met studying martial arts. You guys are genius'. (And that back rub, she will break your neck).

STEMBOATwannabe 6 years, 11 months ago

There are some really good things that happen in Steamboat.

My son goes to CMC. It has been a positive experience. He has matured and grown up during his SS tenure. He recives his Associate from CMC in May. ( YEAH!)

He lives in /near the Walton Pond appartments. He is not especially fond of living there. Many reasons, mostly neighbors are loud and cook very smelly food. Bottom line, there weren't any other apartments available so he had to stay.

Not all young people are scum. My son works almost full time at a Steamboat resort He has a few friends that he has made in the area. There are probably times when he acts in ways that are embaressing. For the most part he is a good kid.

Maybe the Johnson kid just has had a few bad days. It will be his choice to live above his bad choices. Hpefuly he will grow out of his bad behavior and become a successful adult.

Most adults were not perfect when they were younger. Maybe some of the adults who are writing here need to remember some of their antics from when they were younger.

Love Steamboat!

BoatMaster 6 years, 11 months ago

Karson Family

Every time you make your ignorent comments it prolongs this discussion while we respond.

Since you asked for the discussion to stop why don't you take your own advice. You will see it goes away... or is that to hard for you to figure out?

tmac62 6 years, 11 months ago

thecondoguy1 look up flood in sstp you will see what the DA does with people that get arested over and over his last was jan 17 i think that would put it at 5 times in the past year alone not to mention the past 5 years

colobob 6 years, 11 months ago

STEMBOATwannabe, Most kids screw up to some degree or another. I did, but nothing serious. My dad was a cop and after his peers got done waltzing me around he would be waiting for me, fully informed, with a little something extra when I got home - double jeopardy! No brutality but a memorable experience none the less. Most kids just don't think when they get in trouble and alcohol only compounds the problem. It took me awhile to figure out that alcohol caused me more problems than it was worth. I would hate to see this or any other kid go through life with a felony record pinned to them. Hopefully the judge will give him a break, maybe mandatory rehab and a good dose of community service would be worth a try. Sooner or later though he's going to run out of second chances. I hope he smartens up before he does. Glad to see your son turned out OK, so did mine. I'm pretty proud of him he's matured into a very nice man. Of course me following my fathers lead didn't hurt.

BoatMaster 6 years, 11 months ago

SteamboatWannabee

Breaking out of Handcuffs and hitting a Police officer goes WAY beyond "antics"

Kid has a total lack of respect for others and should be dealt with accordingly.

imwatchingu 6 years, 11 months ago

I am Karsen's grandmother. All of you should check out your own backyards and stay there. Karsen is a great kid. Until this incident, he had never been in trouble. So much for the losers that buy alcohol for minors. I suggest you all take a break. Until you have walked a mile in someone else's moccasins, I dare you to judge them.

Judge not, lest ye be judged. Period.

imwatchingu 6 years, 11 months ago

Furthermore, my husband and I have raised six wonderful, very successful children and have eight fabulous grandchildren, Karsen being one of them. It's very easy to sit back and be the Monday morning quarterbacks and judge my grandson. But I dare any of you to do as well with your life and your family, friends, etc. as my husband and I have done with ours.

mud 6 years, 11 months ago

Dear imwatchingyou, This is not a forum you should pay any attention to. It is very judgemental and should not be viewed by anyone with an emotional attatchment to someone involved in a story. Like many young men his age he did something and got in trouble. That's all we really know. That means people make up the rest and speculate based on what was printed in the paper. Since it is an annonymous forum, people feel its OK to be crass and say whatever they want.(Lord knows I'm no angel) The best thing to do is pay no attention to it. That's just how it works on this forum.

blackbird 6 years, 11 months ago

Thank you imwatchingu!! Finally another side to this story. Karsen is a good kid, who has possibly made a mistake, just like everyone else in this forum. Nobody wants to address fact that karsen was beaten unconsious by the arresting officers???

shaneblackbirdjr 6 years, 11 months ago

for everyone who has given karson bad remarks because theyve said they know who he is and the person he is then u obviously dont know him very well.. try coming from a point of view where youve been with him basically your whole life and know who he really is. I'm karsons cousin rather he was intoxicated or not hes yet to had a drug or alcohol test for that incident and night. Please tell me wheres the witnesses? Your obviously going to take a cops word over a citizens. People wether this cop has been loyal and honest his whole life he could have done something wrong and been corrupt to cover his butt. Shoudnt be so judgemental over somone who you havent known as long as me

dave reynolds 6 years, 11 months ago

your cousin has a HISTORY of this kind of behavior so yes he is being judged by his OWN actions and nobody elses..and oh thats right its the polices fault cause I can tell by the the story he was singled out and harrassed he was minding his own business..please I guess it was his evil twin causing all these problems...lol

BoatMaster 6 years, 11 months ago

Remember

Good kids DO NOT break out of handcuffs and punch Police Officers!!!

seeuski 6 years, 11 months ago

Maybe the family members testimony on this site about this incident clears it up, ofcourse the cops and witnesses are to blame, they must be lying because this kids family loves him.

BoatMaster 6 years, 11 months ago

imwatchingu

I take you up on your dare of raising kids well. My kids have not and will not ever hit a Police officer. I WIN!

I think your actions of sticking up for Karson instead of apologizing for him is probably one of the reasons he is a person who does this type of thing. You are an enabler to him.

If it was my child I would apologize to the citizens of Steamboat and explain how my child was going to make his wrong action better. (community service etc.)

I love it when the family sticks up for such a "great" kid and wonders why people are sick of this kind of behaviour.

LOOK IN THE MIRROR AND SEE WHERE IT COMES FROM.

p.s. I can't wait for Karsons people to post their eloquent comments to my post.

thecondoguy1 6 years, 11 months ago

BoatMaster, right or wrong my parents would have had me standing before whoever with a apology and an explaination as to how I intended to make amends, my beloved father never laid a hand on me, but my dear mother all 5 foot of her would have needed to stand on a chair to slap me in the face in front of whoever until the words came out......... if I was found not to be guilty, well nobody was loved more than me, and I knew that.

justathought 6 years, 11 months ago

imwatchingu, [So much for the losers that buy alcohol for minors], get the name of the losers that bought him alcohol and press charges, since you're grandson is so upstanding I'm sure he'll cooperate.

blackbirdjr, seems like grandma is conceding to the fact he was drinking, if it goes to court I'm sure you'll see your "witnesses".

blackbird [fact that karsen was beaten unconsious by the arresting officers], don't know if that's true or not but if he breaks out of cuffs and hits a cop, he's lucky he's not dead.

I have to agree with boatmaster so quit making excuses for and condoning what he did. He thought he was man enough to get drunk which made him feel man enough to take on a cop, LET him be man enough to take his medicine.

bartender 6 years, 11 months ago

Dear Grandma,

I approach you with great respect. For your years and time, for your children reared and your heritage. Your love and time are to be honored and are in no way lost to me. I have in my time screwed up (period). I got home after one of those nights, to be SLAMED (for lack of a better word) across the left arm with a rot iron chair by my 6' 4" 250 pound father (I really screwed up). I was lucky. Had it been under any other circumstances, I might have been shot; literally. That beast of a man, after disciplining me if you will; walked a way into his garage. I walked into the house shaking, and my mother crying.

But I will never forget; that beast of a father came back hours later. He wiped tears from his bloodshot eyes, he was shaking, and he held me and he shook crying. He never said word that night. I cried. I knew then, what love from a father to a son like me was. I hurt him greatly for many years before. He hurt and still loved me; what else could he have said. I was still a punk. I still screwed up. But I respected people. Abuse? NO. Tough love? Good God was I hard to love. But ask anyone's parent's I grew up around; I respected authority and other people. I wish to this day, that the hardest thing I would face for my errors was that damn chair. And my father was still on the other side to hold me.

bartender 6 years, 11 months ago

I just called Dr Phill. He and Oprah are on their way!!

dave reynolds 6 years, 11 months ago

Its called personal accountability,personal responsibility, and respect..near as i can tell he has none of the above..and no my backyard is not clean but I never hit a cop or broke down a door and have taken responsibilty for my wrong doings

prayforsnow 6 years, 11 months ago

imwatchingu.... so you say, "until this incident, he had never been in trouble." didn't the article say he had a warrant for previous incident?

also, i would have to guess that the "losers" who bought the alcohol did not just go buy booze with their own money and force it down your grandson's throat. although i'm sure you will probably say he never drank before in his life, because that would be bad.

this situation, according to the article, did not begin with your grand-angel taking a swing at the "corrupt" police officers. it started because he was disturbing the concert and bandmembers. is your idea of a "great kid" one who drinks underage, causes public disburbances, harasses bands, and tries to get out of cuffs to attempt to assault an officer? wow. a lot of kids screw up, but i don't know any that would try to assault a person of authority.

dave reynolds 6 years, 11 months ago

well said pry4sno.your gettin your prayer answered...lol

BoatMaster 6 years, 11 months ago

Sorry everyone

The comments from the Karson family that I was referring to have just been removed again

80488mom 6 years, 11 months ago

Dear Bartender: You said you would never send your child to CMC. I'm curious....why? You send them anywhere else, with the exception of the Academies or Ivy League, and it's likely there are similar types of kids that it seems you would like to isolate your children from.

My thoughts are if you create a foundation of character, integrity, strong social and moral values your child could go anywhere and remain unaffected. It's been my observation kids gravitate towards other kids who have similar interests and character. They will do that no matter where they go. You don't generally see a kid with his pants hanging off his arse with one who is preppy. I really don't see behaviors as contagious and it shouldn't be an issue if you have raised your child well.

I don't have any kids who went to CMC but often community college is an affordable choice to take the basic requirements. It also gives a kid time to figure out what he really wants to do....if he doesn't already know.

imwatchingu 6 years, 11 months ago

I want to highly recommend to the Steamboat Pilot that this discussion come to an end. If the people that are contributing so negatively to this column are from Steamboat, then I would highly recommend to anyone not living here, that you don't move here. This is a very biased town. Did any of you happen to read about the racial incidents at Steamboat High School? That is only a very small part of the negative mindset here. Shame on all of you.

imwatchingu 6 years, 11 months ago

By all of your negative comments, you have no idea how much damage you do to one family.

And to the kid that kicked the door in at the Ponds, hopefully you won't get away with the second time you commit criminal mischief. This time you just managed to find a fall guy.

Hadleyburg_Press 6 years, 11 months ago

imwatchingu, Who's fault would it have been if junior would have decided to get into a car that night and killed himself or someone else? Would you still lay the blame at the feet of this community? So junior has a drinking problem and just maybe the fact that we take his actions seriously will save his life and the lives of others. He may need help, and now he will be forced to get it. You want my respect for you grand kid? Sorry, but he has not earned it. I would trade 1000 of your little bundles of joy for one of our young, brave soldiers over in Iraq and Afghanistan right now. I don't know how old you are, but this old fart was raised a bit different. By calling the citizens of this community biased and racist, you have shown yourself to be just as ignorant as the previous spokespople that were removed from this thread for their hate filled rant. I bid you good day and farewell...

thecondoguy1 6 years, 11 months ago

Hadleyburg..............................., well said, thank you...........

bartender 6 years, 11 months ago

All in all: Kids will screw up. Mine is young, but the screw up's get far worse than colors on the new carpet. It's the love taught, and lessons learned that make the adult. I am no better than Karsen or his band of undisciplined friends (I actually love the movie "Agent Orange"). I Just got taught a lot harder. Not every kid has disciplinarians like my parents. Would I change it today? Looking back, heck yeah. But at the loss of respect for who I am today as an adult? Nope. I thank them. I don't recommend rot iron chairs, but I wasn't your typical teen. Stealing mom and dad's cars (two or three times) and imported middle eastern jewelry and perfumes (they didn't get it all back) really pushed their limits. A few hundred bucks at a pawn shop seemed great, but you guessed it, it was a really big screw up.

I am just glad that it will never be my kid. (Yeah, I wouldn't put it past him.) No matter how bad he screws up; Grandma, I know I and my mom will love him.

bartender 6 years, 11 months ago

And 88MOM, Lets just say I figured a thing or two out since my days. The whole "birds of a feather" thing, well, you can't blame everything on it. However, you (mom) can be the difference. "You can't be everywhere all the time". You can, mom, make them think (about you) twice; you better know they are tucked in bed at night. And even though it may be tough, teach them two things: 1) there are ALWAYS consequences for your actions. Good or bad. And 2) Your parents always love you. Good or bad.

id04sp 6 years, 11 months ago

It would be interesting to take all the cases of kids like this who have gotten in trouble over and over, and look to see which lawyer represented them, and before which judge.

colobob 6 years, 11 months ago

pt22, I'm with you. Anyone have any good jokes?

colobob 6 years, 11 months ago

JazzSlave, hope you don't mind if I pass this along, it's great! I'm starting to feel better about this thread already. I've got one I think you'll enjoy if I can find the link. My wife and I couldn't stop laughing when we read it. If I can come up with the link I'll post it.

JazzSlave 6 years, 10 months ago

From the Bulwer-Lytton Fiction Contest - worst sentences ever:

My favorite:

"She wasn't really my type, a hard-looking but untalented reporter from the local cat box liner, but the first second that the third-rate representative of the fourth estate cracked open a new fifth of old Scotch, my sixth sense said seventh heaven was as close as an eighth note from Beethoven's Ninth Symphony, so, nervous as a tenth grader drowning in eleventh-hour cramming for a physics exam, I swept her into my longing arms, and, humming "The Twelfth of Never," I got lucky on Friday the thirteenth."

suckerfreeforlife 6 years, 10 months ago

That is not a joke. Its ignorant, meat-headed, race baiting bigotry.

Your intellect is the joke.

If all the working Mexican, Asian, and African immigrants refused to show up to work, this country would be in an immediate crisis.

Why did the republican stare at the frozen juice can for two hours?

Because it said "concentrate"

JazzSlave 6 years, 10 months ago

"Going to war without the French is like going deer hunting without an acordion."

• Norman Schwarzkopf

JazzSlave 6 years, 10 months ago

Q: What's the difference between a Democrat politician and a leech? A: A leech quits sucking your blood after you die.

thecondoguy1 6 years, 10 months ago

sbvor, that's some of your best stuff,,,, holy crap............

suckerfreeforlife 6 years, 10 months ago

"Conservatives eat red meat"

Well, if your talking about Foley, Haggard, and Craig...no argument there. Im surprised you approve!

Don't forget the crystal meth. Praise The Lord!

Oh wait, what about the conservative in WA. Richard Curtis. Lingere, Stethascope and Gay Prostitute named "Stallion" KINKY.

suckerfreeforlife 6 years, 10 months ago

Well, genearlly you ARE the master of critical omissions. but not this time

So Maher, Stewart and Colbert dont have a funny bone?

The half hour news hour is a real side splitter, eh? Has Faux news pulled that yet? Talk about no sense of humor!

suckerfreeforlife 6 years, 10 months ago

From Sbvor's link

"A poll released earlier this year by the Pew Research Center for the People and the Press found that 21 percent of people aged 18 to 29 cited "The Daily Show" and "Saturday Night Live" as a place where they regularly learned presidential campaign news.

By contrast, 23 percent of the young people mentioned ABC, CBS or NBC's nightly news broadcasts as a source."

I dont see any mention of Democrats.

I do see a higher percentage of respondents mentioning network news broadcast, and theres no indication that either source would be to the exclusion of any other sources.

Further, the 79 percent of respondents who indicated that they did not get news from Colbert and Stewart further erodes your already feeble thesis.

Not to mention how dated the article is.

Step it up, sbvor. Its no fun when you make it so easy.

btw, you can be sure i did not ask for madmoore's vilification of Asian, Mexican, and African immigrants to be removed. I prefer to let a bigot be exposed, not let off the hook.

suckerfreeforlife 6 years, 10 months ago

You provided the link to bolster your point, and now your trashing the credibility of the author of the link you provided. Good stuff. Very desperate.

Id guess, based on republicans i knew in college, that plenty of young republicans watch Stewart and Colbert., complete with expensive ganja and a fancy glass bong.

"Maybe they wont admit it", and "maybe they're not even aware", doesnt cut it. Doesnt come close to cutting it. Are convenient and baseless assumptions part of all your assertions?

No disagreement inre network news, why dont you take solace that these numbers are so low? 21 and 23 percent leaves room for ALOT of other sources.

I didnt see any Dem, or Journalist, asserting ANYTHING about determining how one should vote. Perhaps voters should follow your lead and rely on internet links that they admitedly dont trust.

Your living proof that one cant be a zealot without being a hypocrite.

colobob 6 years, 10 months ago

Be you Democrat or Republican, Liberal or Conservative now were seeing stuff that we can laugh at. sbvor, that pic of Harry Reid cracks me up. This is much more fun no matter which side of the political fence you're on.

madmoores 6 years, 10 months ago

I'm not a bigot, you don't know me so your claim is pointless. It was listed as the joke of the year. It was not MY joke, someone asked for jokes and I passed it along. If you can't take a JOKE, or the truth, don't read it. There is far worse said on this forum on a daily basis, get a life.

suckerfreeforlife 6 years, 10 months ago

Whose joke of The year? The Klan's? Was that on David Dukes variety hour and comedy extravaganza?

Now your disowning it? Like you had no idea? It was just a random choice among thousands of jokes? Just an innocent courier, are you?

What truth are you talking about? Are you saying that your joke was based on the truth? Sounds to me like you are. Then why disown it? Ill tell you why, because you dont have the balls to admit what you are, even though you know its true. Kind of like Larry Craig

STEMBOATwannabe 6 years, 10 months ago

Enough of this.......

Everyone should get a life for a few days.

Try not to post for more than 24 hours to see if you can get over your addiction.

id04sp 6 years, 10 months ago

Former,

This kid is 20 years old. Legal age for possessing and using alcohol is 21. That's reason enough to take him into custody.

It's standard procedure for the police to run the ID of anyone they contact and check for outstanding warrants.

One lady I met here in town was arrested by the SSPD after calling them to remove her ex boyfriend from her property. She had a warrant out for "failure to appear" on a traffic charge from Eagle County. Turns out the warrant was issued in error (her case was dismissed, but somehow the paperwork got screwed up, and the dismissal didn't get into the system so the judge issued a warrant for FTA), but that didn't stop the SSPD from taking her into custody on a Friday night and hauling her down to the jail after checking her ID against the computer. Her ex boyfriend, of course, just left peacefully and enjoyed the moment of watching her be taken away in a police vehicle. Ain't love grand?

colobob 6 years, 10 months ago

well, so much for the jokes..........., I tried. Have a nice evening everyone.

id04sp 6 years, 10 months ago

Try to read without moving your lips . . . .

justathought 6 years, 10 months ago

If you REALLY wanted to let it rest, why would you bring it back up again.

curious1 6 years, 10 months ago

Does anyone know what happened to Darsen in court???

tmac62 6 years, 10 months ago

why have the jail reports been for the last two weeks?