Local teenager killed in crash

— A Steamboat Springs teenager was killed in a car accident Friday night on an icy highway in Idaho.

An Idaho State Police dispatcher said Ann Barney, 19, was one of three people killed in an accident that occurred about 7:20 p.m. Friday on U.S. Highway 95, in the Cougar Gulch area just south of Coeur d'Alene, Idaho. The dispatcher said Barney was a passenger in a vehicle driven by Tyler Pearson, 21, of Kennewick, Wash. Police reported that Pearson was likely driving too fast for icy roads coated by rain earlier in the day.

Pearson and passenger Benjamin Lockard, 20, of Kennewick, also died as a result of the crash in which Pearson's Isuzu spun out of control and was struck on the side by an oncoming Chevy Suburban, the dispatcher said.

Brooke Smith, 19, of Kennewick, also was in Pearson's vehicle and was in critical condition Saturday evening at Kootenai Medical Center in Coeur d'Alene.

The oncoming car was driven by a 35-year-old woman who suffered a broken leg in the accident, the dispatcher said. No one else was in that car. No other cars were involved.

Barney graduated from Steamboat Springs High School in 2006 and was a sophomore at Washington State University in Pullman, Wash. Local soccer coach Rob Bohlmann said Saturday that he coached Barney during all four years of her high school career in Steamboat. Bohlmann spoke of Barney's vibrant, engaging character.

"She was an absolute tremendous personality," he said. "She was a great person, a great athlete, a great daughter and sister, and a great friend to a tremendous amount of people in this community."

Comments

Brent Boyer 6 years, 3 months ago

All: A celebration of life for Ann Barney is at 11 a.m. Saturday at the Sheraton Steamboat Resort. In lieu of flowers, memorial donations may be made to the Ann Barney Memorial Fund in care of the Yampa Valley Funeral Home, P.O. Box 776090, Steamboat Springs, CO 80477. For more information, call the funeral home at 879-1494.

Brent Boyer Editor, Steamboat Pilot & Today

Dave_and_Barbara_Allen 6 years, 3 months ago

To Ann's family and friends, We share your sadness and will keep you in our thoughts and prayers. God Bless

Dave and Barbara Allen Indianola Iowa

Alany 6 years, 3 months ago

Words cannot express our sadness when our daughter told us about the car accident.

Our hearts and prayers go out to you.

Ann and our daughter were friends and roommates last year at WSU. They had such fun together and became close friends in that short amount of time, which wasn't hard with Ann's infectious personality and outgoing spirit.

We met her several times and she also spent the night at our house in Seattle on her way home to Steamboat. As parents, you can just recognize a "good kids." Ann was one of them.

She was a polite, outgoing, self-assured person who loved people, and who people loved.

I know that she will be missed by many, but will never be forgotten.

JLKM 6 years, 3 months ago

God blessed me personally when He brought Ann in to my life and for that I will be forever thankful. She was gifted and talented, had a sweet and fun spirit, and a beautiful smile that could turn in to an amazing grin that would immediately make everyone around her smile. Ann was talented and gifted in so many areas but the one gift that I loved so much that Ann was blessed with was her music. She was a great little flautist. I will miss you Ann but you will forever be in my heart.

sunflowergirl9999 6 years, 3 months ago

Oscar - The boy driving was 21 years old, not a teenager. Where would you put "the line"? Restrictions? 25 years old, 30 years old. Accidents happen when your are dealing with weather. I am rather disturbed you choose to go off on the "teenager driver" issue when the driver was 21 years old and obviously we are all dealing with the loss of Ann. (I was told by the family drinking was not an issue. They were just driving home. I love how the paper has to throw that in) Rain, slick roads happen. You or I could have that happen to us and I assume you are older than 21. Maybe you shouldn't be driving. Kind of heartless

walrus 6 years, 3 months ago

I'm writing from Idaho - these roads don't just take teenagers by surprise. They get very, very icy. The night of the accident, my husband and I were walking downtown, just a few miles from the accident, and we were shocked at how slick the roads were. We've had a lot of rain on top of our snow, and that makes for dangerous conditions as soon as the sun goes down. No more harsh words about inexperienced drivers, okay?

paststudent 6 years, 3 months ago

Ann will be greatly missed by all her friends and classmates. My heart goes out to her family and friends.

lynnatkinson 6 years, 3 months ago

This from a local resident and family friend: With great sympathy to the parents of this exemplary and beautiful young lady and friend of so many - many being our own children. May this most difficult episode in all our lives serve in some way, by perhaps helping more of us learn that even as one leaves the physical plane, they often will be serving us all by being with us on perhaps a higher plane, to assist us with guidance when needed, as we navigate our own paths through life. We are a small(er) community than many, therefore we are blessed to know personally so many in our community. Ann is one who will surely be missed by all of us in Steamboat, but she will live on through all the wonderful memories she has given us by knowing her during her short, but poignant lifetime here in Steamboat. What a legacy she leaves us with ! May we all live up to what might have been her expectations. I write this from my heart - for her parents and brother, as well as our own children who knew her - that we might all work through this tragedy to see how it might serve in a positive way, for all of us, especially as many of our children are in the throes of heading back to college just now, or already have and now must confront this incredible emotional drama concurrent with making their own important decisions about their futures and their own lives.

letomayo 6 years, 3 months ago

The editor of the Pilot never makes a public apology in the paper just on these blogs when hardly anyone reads this. If there will be an apolgy in the paper it won't be somewhere where it will be easily seen. Our paper can't hardly get anything straight and then it removes comments from the online addition. Will you fix this in the paper today or tomorrow with a apology.

Brent Boyer 6 years, 3 months ago

sunflowergirl9999: The sentence about the "possible" role alcohol played in the accident has been removed from the online version of the story. You're correct in that it's unfair to cast that suspicion over a tragic accident until police have finished their investigation. We should have exhibited better judgment before the story was published.

Brent Boyer Editor, Steamboat Pilot & Today (970) 871-4221 bboyer@steamboatpilot.com

lynnatkinson 6 years, 3 months ago

To the staff at the Pilot - there is much sensitivity in a posting of this kind...thanks for removing "negativity" at a time such as this. We would better use our consciousness and focus on the better side of reality...as we are ultimately still held accountable for the things which we have been given charge of (whether aware of these things or not). God Bless our 'higher thoughts' and thank you Pilot for this opportunity to be read - in real time!

bunnysue67 6 years, 3 months ago

To the family and friends of Ann, We grieve with you. Ann is a beautiful spirit who touched many. Words mean nothing at this time, but thoughts and prayers are with her family. Pat, Vicki and Daniel- we love you and are thinking of you. Carol Mills Rykiel and Marty Rykiel

steamboatali 6 years, 3 months ago

Dear Barney family, May the love, compassion, and support of our community give you strength through your terrible loss. We are grieving with you.

french_fry 6 years, 3 months ago

Such sadness for the Barney family and all who knew and loved Ann. If someone could post info about memorial service it would be most appreciated. (we don't currently live in Steamboat but would return if details are posted.)

butterflylee13 6 years, 3 months ago

I am a relative of Ann Barney, and although I never really got to know her I can say that she is deeply missed by our family. My mother takes comfort in the fact that she will be with my Grandpa Barney up in heaven and that she has found peace. My Grandma Barney is deeply devastaed by this tragic event as it was not long ago that we lost my Grandfather - her husband.

I want to send my love and support to My Great Uncle, Daniel, and Vicki. May you all find peace, and know that I share the sadness with our loss of a beautiful woman.

roxiemca 6 years, 3 months ago

To Ann's Family, You don't know me but I met Ann when she stayed overnight at our house on her way home to Colorado after the summer session in the interior design program at Washington State University this past summer. She was a lovely young woman. My daughter, Anna, says that she wouldn't have made it through that grueling summer if it weren't for the support, friendship, and trips to the Pullman pool that she shared with Ann. Anna is in the studio right now without her "partner" and is very sad indeed, as I'm sure all the students are. There are no words to express our condolences ... you and your family will be in my family's thoughts and prayers today and in the months to come. Sincerely, Roxie McAuliffe (Anna Kleinschmidt's mother)

localboy17 6 years, 3 months ago

When Adele passed away the immediate speculation was that alcohol was involved. Even at her funeral after the coroner said that "alcohol played no role in her death" someone mentioned alcohol. It is unfair to stereotype all young people as being drinkers. Saying that alcohol was involved in someones death puts this immense negative connotation on the whole thing, WHICH IS ALREADY PRESENT!!! To write something like alcohol being a cause before the investigation is over, is labeling another unfortunate death. And even if the investigation clears the horrible tragedy from alcohol, the damage is done. People have already drawn conclusions. I feel like the reporters should focus on the fact that a small community has lost a valuble and joyful person, and not on the specifics of what caused the death. Ice or no ice, snow or no snow, and alcohol or not we lost a very special and loving person.

djb 6 years, 3 months ago

Thank all of you so much for your comments. While this time has been incredibly difficult for us, the love and support shown by our friends and community has been amazing. Ann was fortunate to grow up surrounded by so many wonderful and caring people. Again, thank all of you for your comments and support.

The Barney Family