Routt County Sheriff Gary Wall

Photo by Brian Ray

Routt County Sheriff Gary Wall

Change in venue requested

Wall's defense opposes motion; judge's decision uncertain

More on Wall

Read all stories related to Routt County Sheriff Gary Wall

— If the prosecution has its way, Routt County Sheriff Gary Wall's driving under the influence trial will not be held in Steamboat Springs.

"I did file a motion to change venue earlier this week," special prosecutor Karen Romeo said Friday. "I spoke to Ron Smith, Mr. Wall's attorney, and they are opposing said motion."

Wall is scheduled to appear in Routt County Court at 8:30 a.m. Wednesday, but Romeo's motion could throw a wrench in the current schedule.

"I don't know what's going to happen," Romeo said. "I don't know if the court will hear the motion on the 16th, or if (Routt County Judge James Garrecht) is going to set another court date to hear that motion."

Late Friday afternoon, Garrecht still was considering Romeo's motion. Court clerks did not expect Garrecht to rule on the motion by the end of the day. The case file was in the judge's chambers and not available for review.

Wall was cited for driving under the influence and a related weapons charge in October when he was pulled over by the Colorado State Patrol near the intersection of Walton Creek Road and U.S. Highway 40 for an alleged failure to dim his headlights.

The State Patrol revoked Wall's license because he refused to take a chemical breath test. Wall appealed the revocation to the Colorado De-

partment of Revenue and was given a temporary driver's license. But, in a Dec. 19 hearing, Department of Revenue hearing officer Art Julian upheld the State Patrol's yearlong revocation.

If Wall is convicted of DUI in a criminal trial, he faces an additional yearlong loss of his driver's license.

The potential for a plea agreement still looms over the case, but Romeo said little progress had been made on that front by the end of the week.

"We have not had any more discussions about any potential plea offer," Romeo said. "I'm waiting on (Smith) to receive some additional reports. I anticipate we'll probably have those discussions on Monday or Tuesday."

Also Friday, State Patrol spokesman Sgt. John Hahn described the agency's involvement in an internal affairs investigation being conducted by the Routt County Sheriff's Office.

The investigation, which is being conducted by investigators Ken Klinger and Mike Curzon and Sgt. Miles De Young, was launched immediately following Wall's citation, but is not yet complete.

Hahn said the State Patrol has withheld its full cooperation with the investigation while the criminal trial is pending.

"We're going to hold off until the case has made its way through the courts before we make our officers available for interviews," said Hahn, who noted the State Patrol has provided other information. "We are participating. We've provided the case file in its entirety."

Comments

tmac62 6 years, 11 months ago

you all voted him in you get what you pay for wall j cargo ???????

dundalk 6 years, 11 months ago

Stompk:

It seems from reading this article that CSP is not acting above the law but rather allowing the courts to handle this situation completely and to the end. WHy do you consider that "good ole boy" mentality rather than just smart law enforcement.

Its my opinion that the CSP is acting as a professional entity, without prejudice, and to me that is the epitome of an "honest cop".

boatski 6 years, 11 months ago

I'd still like to know how Wall is getting around without a driver's license. How does he get to work, does he just stay in his office all day, what about going out for lunch? How is is getting around in Denver on this last trip? How can he be of service to the public without a driver's license?

CoJustice 6 years, 11 months ago

The Routt County boys are probably not trying to complete an internal investigation, but attempting to interrogate the CSP officers. Sounds like they got the SUSD (Sit down and shut up), and try and be a professional.

I am sure the CSP provided reports, but Wall's team of three (County resources?) is conducting more of an save my boss = save my a$$ campaign.

stompk 6 years, 11 months ago

Since when did the state patrol become above the law?

State patrol is withholding cooperation?

Hmmm. Since when has this ever been acceptable by anyone else.

Down with the good ole boy network. It's time for honest cops to prevail.

weallnutz 6 years, 11 months ago

Cooperate with an internal investigation conducted by a the guy quoted in the paper as saying that the Sherriff's job has not been effected by losing his licese for a DUI. And another guy who was out of law enforcement and unable to find a job in the local law enforcement communtiy until the guy he is investigating hired him. Yeah I think CSP should cooperate with the "Internal Investigation" .....just like I think its totally cool that the Sherriff sets such a great example to this community, give em all raises, promote them, shoot I think Wall should run for President......how embarassing for us all.

Benny 6 years, 11 months ago

Can anyone clue me into why Wall would oppose the motion of change of venue? I don't get it. You'd think that he'd want it somewhere else, or I'd think that. What am I missing?

CoJustice 6 years, 11 months ago

He has been successful in Steamboat before with his "I am a victim" defense. He is counting on his supporters as jury members, along with a back-up plan to move the trial with an appeal if he is found guilty.

The prosecutor is smart in going for one trial, out of area. No appeals.

I am sure Walls team is trying to put CSP officers in a compromising position to try and use it against them in the trial. Wall and his attorney are probably coaching them.

More disturbing is three Routt officers are working full time on this case.

Benny 6 years, 11 months ago

Right! The "I didn't get a fair trial in Steamboat" defense for an appeal. I should've seen that. Like in the John Grisham book, don't remember which one, I've read them all. Anyway, if that's the way it goes, it means more county and state resources tied up in this one case for who knows how long.

When the prosecuter files the motion to change venue, does she also state where she would like venue changed to? I think Garrecht will go with the change because he's already said that he would not preside over this case because of the conflict, I just wonder where it would be held. Eagle, perhaps? Wasn't the Bogg's murder case held there?

tmac62 6 years, 11 months ago

send it to denver and let MADD have a look i have no room to talk i got 2 duis i did my time been sober 2 years now time for wall to walk the talk colo west recovery in grand j is a good stsrt

dundalk 6 years, 11 months ago

benny: the grisham book was "A Time To Kill", I believe.

portagetheyampa 6 years, 11 months ago

WELL, THE SO OFFICERS INVESTIGATING THE SHERIFF IS LIKE THE FOXES GUARDING THE HEN HOUSE, ISN'T IT?

Of course, Ron Smith and Wall don't want a venue change. Like CoJustice states, Wall hopes to get his "supporters" on the jury.

The CSP is acting appropriately here. HOpefully they and SSPD can still prpovide good law enforcement in Routt County despite the fact we have a worthless Sheriff.

Benny 6 years, 11 months ago

Thanks dundalk, I think that's right.

Wall is wrong if he thinks he thinks he still has as many "supporters" as he did a year ago. He let his constituents down. The fact that he doesn't have a voice in this situation is a let down in itself. He is also letting down his employees because I guess he doesn't feel he owes them anything either. Just like us, they track this case in the newspaper and except for a select few privileged employees, they are the last to know. Wall has lost his credibility with people who once supported him.

I wouldn't be surprised if the Sheriff's Office suffers from a large turnover because of this. I wouldn't be surprised if the morale there has plummeted. One of Wall's promises was to retain qualified employees and by his own actions he will more than likely do the complete opposite.