Amanda Allen: Respect workers

Most people don't realize the two different worlds going on at the Steamboat Ski Area this year. On one side of the gondola are a couple of thousand brightly colored skiers of all ages, shapes, sizes and nationalities. Some on skis, some on boards, and some on their bottoms more than any other sliding surface. And, unfortunately, even some on crutches. The little children, as always, are absolutely adorable. None of whom I have noticed to be crying about falling down, getting snow in their gloves, up their sleeves, down their necks and in their beautiful, smiling faces. They are loving the snow as are all the others who are here due to the glorious white stuff. The more they get, the happier they are. Play, play, play until starving or exhausted and most of the time completely oblivious to the other side of the coin just a few yards away from their playground.

Hard hats, safety vests, all sorts and sizes of machinery and men - and yes, a couple of women - "playing" in the dirt right along with them. Where the "players" (skiers) are loving the cold and snow, it's just plain in the way for these guys who are working Monday through Friday, from May until now, far away from their families, moving the snow so they can unfreeze the dirt, to dig it out, to set cement, pipe, rebar and all sorts of other "fun" stuff to produce more parking and rooms for the "players" who don't have to work in the cold snow to enjoy their families.

Do they know one another exist? Of course. Does one think about the other? Not usually, except to get a glimpse of one another while the players are walking down the "safety path" set up by the workers so they can get between their condos and the slopes. Are the workers thanked by the players, ever, for what they are doing or for the safety path? I don't think so.

I have noticed their impatience when the workers get in their way while doing their jobs. Shouldn't we all be more patient and appreciative of those who are "in our way" working to help make our lives easier and better down the road? Or is it OK to be inconvenienced by the fact that they can't drive their Hummers right up to the slope this year so their spoiled kids don't have to walk two blocks to get there. "They might get sick, you know." These are probably the same kids who can't walk two to six blocks to school and whose parents yell obscenities at bus drivers because they are in the bus lane at school and are asked to move so 40 other students can get to their schools on time.

I wonder why young people these days don't have any respect? Everyone who enjoys the slopes at Steamboat needs to be thankful for the constant thoughts of making sure all of you are safe as you walk back and forth past these construction workers who are there to give you more spaces with easier access in a couple of years.

Amanda Allen

Windsor

Comments

Tracy Barnett 6 years, 7 months ago

Amanda, you have obviously experienced the seperation of the players and the workers first hand. I don't know if you are the one who maintains the safety path for the players, but, for one, I want to say thank you. I am not a skier any more, but, for all those who use that path, it is apprectiated. As you say in your thoughtful article, most of those in town, whether guest or local, probably don't realize all construction workers must endure to make a living for their families. Long stretches away from home and family, working in the cold, being hassled about where to park, being treated like second-class citizens is probably the norm. While not all may agree with what you are constructing, and the changes these new buildings will bring, it is a fact of life that it is happening and you all are doing your job. All of the construction workers have added to our sales tax base while here and the community benefits from that. So, thank you Amanda for bringing this situation to our attention. Might be a good series for the newspaper to explore.

id04sp 6 years, 7 months ago

Yeah, well, you spend $1000 a day for a week of skiing with your family and see how you enjoy jumping a muddy ditch to get to the ski slope, and how great it is to gaze out the window of your luxury condo to see construction equipment, smell diesel fumes, and listen to the sounds of heavy equipment running all day long.

And the reason for all this? It's because the tax break is better on assets that have not been fully depreciated. It's all in the numbers for the developers and financial investors, and they really don't care if people have a bad experience and decide not to come back to Steamboat in the future.

Every cent spent on construction is "capitalized" and will be applied against the tax burden in the coming years. It's all a hedge against the threat of a Democratic repeal of the Bush tax cuts, particularly, the capital gains tax cuts.

Ms_E_Bronte 6 years, 7 months ago

ido4 -- havng a bad day? Amanda's comments aren't about "developers, etc." they are about people being kind to one another - in spite of the "developers, etc." (You are, however, correct in the overall view; albiet a bit cranky.) Hope your day gets better.

Thank you, Amanda. Very nice viewpoint.

id04sp 6 years, 7 months ago

Me? It's not about me. I'm not in either one of those situations.

I'd say the people who don't like the construction are justified in feeling the way they do, and the construction workers who are there to make a buck should go the extra mile to make up for their intrusion into a resort environment. Having worked outside doing construction this time of year, I am quite familiar with the situation. When people see you putting in extra effort to avoid inconveniencing them, they respond with understanding and kindness in most situations. Dare I say it? Humbling oneself in apology for the inconvenience goes a long way. And, sometimes, the tourists are just jerks anyway, so go figure.

Oh, also, it helps if the hard hats don't stop and leer at the teenage girls, wink at each other and whisper, "puta."

Oh, also, a lot of the guys who do construction work in the winter are on work release programs from the Craig or Steamboat jail. It's not exactly what you would call an ideal working situation . . . .

JLM 6 years, 7 months ago

Why can't we all just GET ALONG? And how did the freakin' developers get into the fray?

Nice sentiment. Heck, everybody should be kind to everybody cause we all be traveling through the vale for but a little while. Even be nice to work release fellas cause they need a bit of love too.

And, yes, it's ALL ABOUT YOU! You know who I mean. It's ALL about YOU!

Now, everybody, have a nice damn day!

live2ski 6 years, 7 months ago

I haven't been to Steamboat Ski area for a while, but agree with Amanda. Kudos to you for standing up for the workers who are putting in the time so that the rest of us can enjoy our vacations. Which company are you speaking of, i think that sending them some appreciation snacks would be in order!

wish2domore 6 years, 7 months ago

Maybe you, id04sp, used to be one of the leerers out for the week, i don't know, that point is SUCH a rabbit trail and I don't know where it came from. My husband is one working for JAGs' who are all under Haseldon Construction(for the kind person who wanted to take them treats!) and they ALL seem to be a great group of guys and a few ladies. This one construction site is FOR the Steamboat Resort itself which was one of my points. They are there to make it bigger and better for the skiers. I myself absolutely LOVE to play in the snow and I thank you, ms_e_bronte and mimsgram specifically for understanding what I was saying.

Have you seen most of the teenage girls who get called "puta"?

id04sp, Have you even been down to the site to see how they DO do everything they can to not inconvenience anyone? Or are you just inconvenienced from your luxury hotel room while the guys down below are gone from their families sunday thru friday or longer? Grow up and stop being so spoiled! I think you should play in the dirt more not just complain about having to jump a mud puddle on your way to play and enjoy REAL life a bit more.

wish2domore 6 years, 7 months ago

Ialso don't think the slopes of Steamboat would miss you, id04sp, if you didn't return. What did your children learn from your complaining about your "inconvenience"? The world revolves around them or how to appreciate what others are doing for them in the long run? Step out from under your raincloud! There are many who very much appreciate what is being done down there.

id04sp 6 years, 7 months ago

Oh, poor Wishy,

I've worked construction in the winter in Steamboat Springs. You know why the people living next door to the house you are building feel inconvenienced by all the hammering and sawing and equipment, etc? It's because they didn't have to live next door to the house they are living in while IT was being built. That's just how people are.

I don't own any stake in the Steamboat ski area. I'm a customer when I go there, and my feeling, frankly, is that the construction should be reserved for the months between April 15 and November 15.

They might not miss my purchase of three season passes, but then again, maybe they would. Why don't you ask them?

OnTheBusGus 6 years, 7 months ago

Really, what happened to the days of almost no construction during winter? Steamboat is in a building frenzy and that's how it is here now. Build, build, build, sell, sell, sell.

outsiderlookingin 6 years, 7 months ago

Id04 As a former high rise contruction worker in the big city I can tell you there are 3 kinds of women in the world.
1 those that see a construction site and cross the street so they don't have to put up with the whistles. 2 those that walk past the site and ignore the whitles. 3. those that say Hi as they go by knowing the hard hats are harmless and the women take the whistles as a compliment.

jeep 6 years, 7 months ago

Id04 857 comments to the today and pilot, nothing to do but sit around and post. well i guess its one way to get attention

id04sp 6 years, 7 months ago

Jeep,

At least I didn't sit around counting how many times people have posted.

Hasn't it ever dawned on anyone that this forum draws people in who see the display ads? Figure it out . . .

wish2domore 6 years, 7 months ago

would you like 3 years of year around work or 5 years of it being all tore up so you didnt have to listen to it on your one week? You will still have to look at it from your luxury hotel room.

Do you not have anything else to do? Thank you, Jeep. You are on the forum page for the ads??? HAHAHA!!

wish2domore 6 years, 7 months ago

I bet you also buy girly magazines for the articles.

little_liza 6 years, 7 months ago

Id, I have two quetions/comments for you. First, are you one of the people that complains when the plows are in your neighborhood at 5am? I imagine you would like to have all the smow moved with out haveing to deal with equipment on all of the roads. I also imagine that you hate to be awoken to a plow truck in the early morning hours, but what all the roads clean when you drive.

Second, what do you propose the employees in the construction industry to do during the winter months? I doubt they want to take a great pay cut just so people can enjoy the sights with out the distraction of construction.

Kudos to all the workers in steamboat whether you work on a construction site, for the city, in a hotel, etc.