The Record for Jan. 2

— Wednesday, Jan. 2

4:27 a.m. A burglar alarm went off in the 700 block of Critter Court. Steamboat Springs police said everything was fine.

5:10 a.m. Threatening phone calls were reported in Steamboat Springs, as part of a landlord-tenant dispute. The incident is under investigation.

10:43 a.m. Someone reported a possible stolen vehicle parked on Fifth Street. Police said everything was fine.

10:57 a.m. Police assisted a person in clearing a missing person's report in their name from California.

12:34 p.m. Lost property was reported from Lincoln Avenue near Riverside Drive, where a generator fell out of a truck. The generator had been removed from the road before the driver was able to turn around and return to the scene. Police took a report.

2:04 p.m. An illegally parked vehicle was reported at the intersection of Fifth and Yampa streets. Police issued a citation.

3:07 p.m. A two-vehicle, noninjury accident was reported at the intersection of Eighth Street and Lincoln Avenue. Police issued a citation.

3:12 p.m. A skiing accident was reported at the Steamboat Ski Area, where an intoxicated man struck another skier and left the scene. There were minor injuries. The man was later arrested for skiing under the influence.

3:38 p.m. Police received a burglary report from the 2800 block of Village Drive, where audio equipment was taken from a condo at an unknown time.

4:04 p.m. Vandalism was reported in the 39900 block of C.R. 44, where a barn had been damaged. Routt County Sheriff's Office deputies took a report.

4:20 p.m. Steamboat Springs police assisted the Oak Creek Police Department in issuing a dog-at-large ticket at the animal shelter.

4:29 p.m. A vehicle complaint was received from the alley between the 700 blocks of Lincoln Avenue and Yampa Street, where a car was parked in a handicapped space. Police issued a citation.

4:53 p.m. A vehicle complaint was received from the 200 block of East Main Street in Oak Creek, where an SUV was passing other vehicles in a school zone. Sheriff's Office deputies were unable to locate the vehicle.

6:03 p.m. A one-vehicle, noninjury accident was reported near mile marker 1 on C.R. 129. The driver was arrested on suspicion of driving under the influence.

6:14 p.m. Residents in the 600 block of Gilpin Street reported a sleeping female elk was blocking access to a home. Police assisted the residents in getting the animal to move.

8:58 p.m. Shuttle buses on Burgess Creek Road reported being pelted with snowballs. Police were unable to locate the people throwing them.

Comments

handyman 6 years, 10 months ago

"The man was later arrested for skiing under the influence."

I was surprised to see this. It's illegal to drive a vehicle under the influence because we sign a contract with the state to obey the traffic laws when we get a driver's license. Is it against the law to ski drunk? Is there a contract when a skier buys a ticket? I understand the dangers of skiing without all of your faculties, but I'm not a skier and I'd really like to know.

OnTheBusGus 6 years, 10 months ago

Yes, it is against The Colorado Skier Safety Act to ski impaired. When my season pass was purchased I know that I signed something saying I would not ski impaired. Here is the item in the CSSA:

(9) No person shall move uphill on any passenger tramway or use any ski slope or trail while such person's ability to do so is impaired by the consumption of alcohol or by the use of any controlled substance, as defined in section 12-22-303 (7), C.R.S., or other drug or while such person is under the influence of alcohol or any controlled substance, as defined in section 12-22-303 (7), C.R.S., or other drug.

justathought 6 years, 10 months ago

How many cops does it take to issue a dog-at-large ticket? Should've let the duck do it.

handyman 6 years, 10 months ago

If any law enforcement office could respond to this, I'd appreciate it. I see a lot of responses to the security alarms in the daily botter where the final comment is, "...everything was fine." I know that in one situation, a pipe had burst, the ceiling drywall had fallen down, water was pouring from the ceiling and the store was flooded. The fire dept was notified of the situation. How is that "fine"? I'm confused.

inmyopinion 6 years, 10 months ago

why serve alcohol 'on the mountain' anyway? save it for the bottom folks. it has always seemed like a bad idea to me.

corduroy 6 years, 10 months ago

not serving alcohol would lose them lots of business. Besides, many people go up there just to eat and enjoy the scenery, gotta have a glass of wine or something :) However, ALWAYS in moderation.. Unfortunately the blame will always fall on the person who decides to have more instead of walking away.

inmyopinion 6 years, 10 months ago

yea, i suppose you are right. it would be nice if they would give me a free beer for having to take the meadows shuttle instead of walking from the knoll.

outsiderlookingin 6 years, 10 months ago

in my opinion don't worry it won't be long before there won't be alcohol served on the mountain. To paraphrase a qoute from the other day about how quiet New year's was "No drunk drivers because people went downtown and stayed downtown. " The downtown business association has succeded in eliminating mountain businesses, and it will get worse next year when they bulldoze Ski Time Sq.

corduroy 6 years, 10 months ago

Downtown has nothing to do with why Ski Time Sq is going away. I am GLAD that the DBA has brought more business back to downtown. I think its great we have these two separate areas with a different feel to them. I am very sad we've already lost Dos, and are losing the Steamboat Mountain Theater, Tugboat. But honestly, those are the only places I went to up there. Any of those high-end shops just aren't for locals, they are full of expensive items aimed at tourists and part time residents with too much money. I'm anxious to see once they tear it all down what businesses emerge. It's just change. Steamboat is unfortunately going through lots of it, all at once. Maybe you are a bitter mountain business owner? Don't blame downtown, they've just done more to drum up business.. Mountain businesses could do the same thing...