Fire chief faces sexual conduct charges

— A longtime Routt County fire official has been charged with unlawful sexual contact and harassment, both misdemeanors, relating to a November 2007 incident.

West Routt Fire Protection District Chief Bryan Rickman, 54, faces charges of unlawful sexual contact without consent, a Class 1 misdemeanor, and harassment, a Class 3 misdemeanor. He was charged Jan. 21. According to court documents, Rickman is accused of touching the victim's buttocks without consent.

The victim's age and gender are unknown.

The alleged incident occurred while Rickman was on the job, Routt County Sheriff's Office Investigator Ken Klinger said. Klinger declined to comment further, except to note that the investigation is ongoing.

Rickman, who lives in the Hayden area, was out of town Friday and could not be reached for comment. Rickman's attorney, Erick Nordstrom, did not return calls for comment.

Moffat County Chief Deputy District Attorney Brett Barkey, who led the investigation, and 14th Judicial District Attorney Bonnie Roesink also declined to comment or provide additional information about the charges.

If convicted, Rickman could face up to two years in prison - 18 months on the unlawful sexual contact charge and six months on the harassment charge - and $5,750 in fines.

Rickman is due to appear in court at 10 a.m. March 5.

Comments

Matthew Stoddard 6 years, 1 month ago

Seeuski- Then by all means: go ahead and put out more innuendo and rumors without the facts being presented. I'll laugh my butt off as people like you then whine about how they "know the truth" when he gets off on a technicality due to incompetence because some people just don't know when to shut the heck up when there's an ongoing investigation. Go on: be part of the problem!

Of course, being anonymous, you can talk crap all you like without repercussions, and continually bitch about what you may have helped screw up. Be proud!

willie 6 years, 1 month ago

If Mr. Rickman is lucky, maybe all the people who stood up for Mr. Lanahan will come to his defense also.

airmanpat 6 years, 1 month ago

i'm curious as to how this one will play out. Could this be another attack on an innocent local who's just trying to support his family? These guilty until proven innocent allegations in this town is getting really old!

kansas 6 years, 1 month ago

Have you people heard of innocent until proven guilty. You seem to have judged him guilty already. I have known him practically all his life and I have yet to meet anyone I would trust with my life more than him. If I am ever in an accident I hope he comes to my rescue and if he happens to touch my body in doing his job, so be it.

becca 6 years, 1 month ago

Did you ever work with the man? Did you ever deal with the board who never did anytheing when complaints were brought up? NO I didn't think so.

id04sp 6 years, 1 month ago

Let this guy drive for Sheriff Wall, and they can keep an eye on each other . . . unless Wall insists on riding in the back seat to protect his buttocks!

becca 6 years, 1 month ago

Comments deleted were obviously true or true to nature if someone took offence to them. How can someone that is being charged with this kind of thing still be working in the same position and not be on leave? You do have to question what the board may be thinking.

Matthew Stoddard 6 years, 1 month ago

Becca- Comments are also deleted by the Pilot staff when there hasn't been a conviction based on proof that still hasn't been completely collected. Posting stuff that may or may not be public knowledge in an ongoing investigation can hinder that investigation. Is that what you would hope to accomplish? I didn't see your comments, so I don't know what they pertained to. I can only say that if the article says it's ongoing, then providing your "truth" may hurt in the long run.

QuitYerWhining 6 years, 1 month ago

I am beginning to think that low crime rates in small towns is due more impart to being afraid of even being accused of misconduct because you will automatically be assumed guilty until proven innocent. Its obvious that some people (ie lynch mob) who posted to this thread have personal issues with Mr. Rickman and therefore have already presumed his guilt. Reminds me of a line from a movie..."...you'll get a fair trial followed by a first class hang'n". So unless you were a witness to the alleged incident I suggest you slink back to your cave an wait for the case to be legally heard rather than continue this character assassination anonymously.

Queenie 6 years, 1 month ago

I agree with Kansas in that if I were in an accident and needing medical attention...Bryan is top notch and more than excellent at his job. Regarding the charges, well....eventually the truth catches up with all of us.

Benny 6 years, 1 month ago

Gosh becca, I wish I knew what you were saying, but your comments keep getting deleted! I'm not catching them quick enough I guess!

psb35 6 years, 1 month ago

I suggested the comments for removal because they were hateful slander. Maybe next time you will have enough integrity to discuss facts, rather than simply sling mud and messages of hate. If you want to express your right to free speech, do so in a more productive way and at least people will hear what you are saying. You are talking about a man who puts his life on the line daily for the safety and security of others. I feel incredibly lucky to have him as a friend

willie 6 years, 1 month ago

I hope that this investigation will be completed "without" a plea bargin. It is important that the investigators AND the prosecutors office find all the facts and then take the necessary action. Too often, our elected officials choose to plead a case out rather than go to court. If a person has committed a crime then prosecute them. If not, then drop all the charges. Just do your job!!

jack legrice 6 years, 1 month ago

What does Louie and the moral police have to say on this!!!! Maybe they can ruin another life. They seem to be into destroying the quaility of life here.

blackthroatedwind 6 years, 1 month ago

Becca, Men are falsely charged with unlawful sexual conduct and harrassment so often anymore that our society is rapidly becoming immune. I would never want anyone to be fired due to some one's "allegation"! Wait until a court of law decides if he's guilty. Sheesh, everyone wants to try people in the media these days. In reality, all this sexual harassment garbage has gone way too far and needs to be reigned in.

OK, feminazis, I've dropped a target out in the open for you. Feel free to open fire .

QuitYerWhining 6 years, 1 month ago

You didnt answer the question so I will ask again. Did you witness said event? I didnt ask you if you were lying.

becca 6 years, 1 month ago

Sometimes men are accused and nobody does anything about it. You say something to an official (fire board) and it gets ignored, the police, again ignored. Hmmmm what should a woman do now? How come a person can get away with things that they should not? I'm glad your friends with the man, and I agree that he is a good Medic but we all can't be perfect. We all make mistakes but we than should have to face the consequences. (unless like around here because your a long standing person in a community it gets looked past)

becca 6 years, 1 month ago

psb35 If you only knew. Not slander. How so you know they are not facts? Where you present? NO didn't think so!!!!

QuitYerWhining 6 years, 1 month ago

Becca

No one but you is throwing around accusations...The real question is..."were you there?"

Matthew Stoddard 6 years, 1 month ago

Becca- will you then help right the wrong and testify against him or just spout here anonymously?

becca 6 years, 1 month ago

Oh and I'm not the only one, the other person had their blog deleated at the beggining too.

blackthroatedwind 6 years, 1 month ago

You know what? Nobody has said exactly what the heinous crime was. Oftentimes, sexual harrassment includes little things like asking a coworker for a date or telling dumb blonde jokes. I'd like to know the seriousness of the charge. If he was asking for a date, or slapped her on the a**, I hope the whole matter goes away. If it was truly serious, then he should be prosecuted. I'll withhold judgement until I know if its truly something worthy of the court's time. So many things aren't worth the court's time these days. Becca obviously isn't gonna provide any worthwhile info, she won't even state whether she was there or not.

Matthew Stoddard 6 years, 1 month ago

Yes, but a slap on the butt shouldn't just go away, especially in this day and age. That, I could see as at least a firing offense; not a "press charges" offense unless it was done after firing or after being told to at least stop. It's just not proper decorum, especially in a work atmosphere.

If it was full on groping, then I'd see a need to press charges. It's in the investigations hands, now. Either way, I don't personally know the offender so until more is released, I won't speculate on what exactly happened more than what I just wrote. All I know is that to spout it here anonymously will not help get him convicted: it becomes hearsay evidence which is usually tossed out.

Mike Coziahr 6 years, 1 month ago

In some instances, slapping someone on the butt can be considered sexual battery. I have known Brian all my life and I can't really see this happening. He has given just about his whole adult life to the fire department in Hayden. I don't believe he would blow all that up for groping someone. As to you becca, just because you heard it from a friend who, heard if from a friend who:.doesn't make it a FACT. Now if you have FACTS, if you personally witnessed something inappropriate, or if you were the victim of a crime you need to stop hiding behind newspaper forums and bring your information to the proper authorities.

becca 6 years, 1 month ago

mcoziahr I did, and nothing was done. I believe I wrote that already. Didn't just hear it from a friend. It wasn't in the local Hayden gossip loop like most things that go on there. PS This is my only ever newpaper forum, and i'm not hiding. and now people know.

Mike Coziahr 6 years, 1 month ago

That is crap! If you want to file a police report, they cannot stop you. Time to grow up becca and file a report.

QuitYerWhining 6 years, 1 month ago

Well welcome to the Hayden gossip loop Becca...you just inducted yourself in a big way by espousing hearsay in a public forum no less. I will ask again (rhetorically this time since I don't think I will get a response) Did you or did you not witness the event? Even if you did not witness the event you have every right to believe your source (whoever that may be). However, that is that person's perspective and experience only. It does not PROVE guilt on the behalf of the accused. That is for the court to decide. If it turns out the court decides he is not guilty, then he is not guilty regardless of what actually happened. That is the way the system works. I'm sure you would not like to be tried and automatically convicted of a crime on a web blog based on hearsay from someone who posts accusations anonymously.

nmypinon 6 years, 1 month ago

Becca, if this happened to you and you tried to file a report and local police wouldn't take a report then take it higher up. If they won't take a report take it even higher. Unless you just have a bone to pick with Brian someone will eventually believe you. And you'll get your day in court. but this is not the place to try this.

Matthew Stoddard 6 years, 1 month ago

Why wouldn't they take your report? What was the reason they gave you?

1234 6 years, 1 month ago

becca keep your head up and keep trying to make your point i also have lived here my whole life and do not have a hard time believing bryan would do such a thing if as they say they have new bryan all there lives they would not have a problem believing also wake up people

QuitYerWhining 6 years, 1 month ago

Not sure what you said 1234...can you translate for me? I think what you said is because you have known Bryan all of his life you KNOW he is guilty. No wonder people get a bad rap for living in Hayden....get clue....I dont care if you knowed Bryan all yer life... you cant presume him guilty (or innocent for that matter) based on your historical perspective. Each time someone is accused of a crime (regardless of past indictments or convictions for that matter) the person is presumed innocent until proven guilty. Stop the witch hunt and give the man his day in court.

Matthew Stoddard 6 years, 1 month ago

Maybe Becca was an unrequited love interest. That would explain a lot.

Mike Coziahr 6 years, 1 month ago

becca, if the Police Department refuses to take a report, then go the Sheriffs Department. If they refuse you should go to the District Attorney.

1234...What?(!) Please don't frink and post.

blackthroatedwind 6 years, 1 month ago

Becca,

Your lack of a response to quityerwhining's repeated question, "WERE YOU THERE?" proves what we all suspected, you really don't have any specialized knowledge about the ALLEDGED incident either. I'm beginning to think that all you pissed-off females are just jealous he didn't hit on you!

becca 6 years, 1 month ago

You know I don't have to prove anything to any of you, I know the truth and the facts and that's it. mcoziahr Didn't know I could go to the county with somthing that happened in the city, Thanks for the info. As far as QuitYerWhining and blackthroatedwind. Yes something happened and I was there and no it's not directly related to whats in the arcticle above. It's a different one. The blog in the beggining that was deleted said it all, so if you read it you know, if you didn't than drop it. just my opinion

Matthew Stoddard 6 years, 1 month ago

Becca said: "You know I don't have to prove anything to any of you, I know the truth and the facts and that's it."

Then why are you trying so hard to do it here instead of with the authorities? Sounds like someone had some sour grapes for lunch.

becca 6 years, 1 month ago

If you can't read I said it before I tried duhhhh!

Matthew Stoddard 6 years, 1 month ago

So just doing it here anonymously is the best way to go for you. Maybe if you tried this hard with the authorities, you might have something going on. Nothing will come of it here. Sorry, but it just won't. You obviously didn't take it to a lawyer as the next level, so it must not be all that important except to try and gain attention here, and look where that's gotten you. It just makes his defense that much stronger since all you did was raise your hands and say "Oh, well."

justathought 6 years, 1 month ago

If something happened to me that I felt warranted a police report (police action), I'd have my copy of a report or be in jail for disturbing the peace.

becca 6 years, 1 month ago

Thanks justathought I should have pushed it further. But it took all this b...S... to get me thnking i should have.

QuitYerWhining 6 years, 1 month ago

Becca

Its not too late. Just don't use this forum to do it. Go to the authorities and tell the truth.

becca 6 years, 1 month ago

snowcloud or maybe he really did touch in an unappropriate way. It's not ok even if your friends or coworkers. There is a professional level there and he obviously crossed the line.

snowcloud 6 years, 1 month ago

"Obviously" he crossed the line? ??!!

For some reason I feel like there is more to this story, becca.

What I am saying is, I don't know who the accuser is, but I know who is being accused!...I don't know all the circumstances.... I assume you do!

The "accused" is a Fire Chief. That doesn't mean he should have preferential treatment, if he is guilty. But that hasn't been decided, yet.

I hope if charges are dropped, or nothing comes of the accusations, that the Newspaper will make a front page article of it......and, name the accuser.

I'm not saying it's OK..if the accuser didn't want it to happen, but unless there is more than touching the buttocks without permission...its suspicious to me.

1234 6 years, 1 month ago

the comments made above, are not my comments! they were made by the other half, please do not hold 1234 as you know me accountable for those comments. i will make sure that any comments made by the other half are on there username only, sorry for the confusion. also want to say that the above comments were made on thier behalf and how they feel. and that they should be heard. i just want it to be known it was not from me.