Routt County residents Terri Dawn Moody Fatka, left, and Pamela Jean Williams, right, have been accused of stealing more than $900,000 from account holders at Alpine Bank in Steamboat Springs.

Routt County Sheriff's Office

Bank tellers jailed

Workers accused of stealing $900K from customers

photo

Routt County Sheriff's Office

Terri Dawn Moody Fatka

photo

Routt County Sheriff's Office

Pamela Jean Williams

— Two local women were arrested Thursday on suspicion of stealing more than $900,000 from account holders at a Steamboat Springs bank.

Pamela Jean Williams, of Milner, and Terri Dawn Moody Fatka, of unincorporated Routt County, both 41, were arrested Thursday morning at Bank of the West in downtown Steamboat, where both are employed as tellers. The women are accused of stealing the funds from multiple account holders at Alpine Bank, where they previously worked.

The $900,000 amount likely will increase as the investigation continues, Steamboat Springs police Capt. Joel Rae said. Thursday's arrests were the result of a six-week investigation, he said.

The women were charged with theft, a Class 3 felony, and forgery, a Class 5 felony. They could face up to 15 years in prison if convicted on both charges.

Two alleged victims reported sizeable thefts from their Alpine Bank accounts to the Steamboat Springs Police Department and Routt County Sheriff's Office in mid-January, prompting the investigation. Rae said there could be additional victims, and investigators are looking into the possibility that money also was stolen from Bank of the West customers, where the women have worked for the past several months. Rae declined to comment on what led investigators to Williams and Fatka.

Alpine Bank's Glenn Davis, regional president for Routt and Eagle counties, declined to comment about the thefts Thursday. Calls to the Steamboat Springs branch of Bank of the West were not returned.

The case is being jointly investigated by the Steamboat Springs Police Department and Routt County Sheriff's Office, with assistance from an investigator with the Federal Deposit Insurance Corporation. The investigator arrived in Steamboat on Tuesday at the request of Alpine Bank, which wanted help protecting its assets, Rae said.

"In these cases, the bank ends up being the victim, because they end up reimbursing the account holders," Rae said.

Rae said the homes of Williams and Fatka were searched Thursday morning. Rae would not say whether anything related to the investigation was found.

Identity theft and fraud cases have been on the rise in Steamboat, where police investigated 59 such cases last year. While the police department has investigated recent cases of embezzlement and theft from employers, thefts by bank employees are rare, particularly of this magnitude, Rae said.

"It's good advice for everybody to keep an eye on their bank statements and to keep sure that things are in order," Rae said.

Williams and Fatka are due to appear in Routt County Court at 1 p.m. today for their advisement hearings.

- To reach Melinda Dudley, call 871-4203

or e-mail mdudley@steamboatpilot.com

Comments

raver 6 years, 10 months ago

What's really sad is that their kids all have to deal with their Mom's stupidity,and the reality and seriousness of their crime.Their kids are all good kids who now have this shadow hanging over them.

bikegirl 6 years, 10 months ago

Wow,I've known both Terri and Pam through the kids,school,etc,I also bank at this bank,they have betrayed alot people,I feel sorry for the kids,kind of a shock.

katrinkakelly 6 years, 10 months ago

Innocent until proven guilty , please..............they may take our comments to court and ask for a different venue??

Benny 6 years, 10 months ago

Is that why he is the "former" editor? Did he get canned? Just curious.

sickofitall 6 years, 10 months ago

Wish I could get $900,000 ripped off from me! lol

bloggyblog 6 years, 10 months ago

one time blog got mugged, but the mugger was clean-cut, well dressed and very polite. so blog thinks its o.k. to be dishonest as long as your NICE!

dundalk 6 years, 10 months ago

I just can't grasp who in their right mind could actually think they could get away with something like this. Bold and brazen to say the very least.

mtnkids 6 years, 10 months ago

hey, messiah (your handle says it all), that all sounded pretty judgmental. i seem to recall something in the big ten about not stealing. fact is, the authorities would not have made any arrests unless the had some pretty solid evidence. i find it interesting that i know so many "devout believers" whose moral code includes the capability to apply the rules only when it is convenient.

shadow 6 years, 10 months ago

This may have been avoided if affordable housing were available in this valley. Likely, just working people trying to make ends meet.

letomayo 6 years, 10 months ago

In case that other comment gets removed I did say that I know these women and there kids and I am very sad for all of them. I hope people don't get on there high horses and start to pick at them and there actions like they are bad people. They are good people that have great kids and now they made a huge mistake that will be horrible to overcome. One job we know they can get is an editors job and then a marketing job after whatever punishment comes there way.

misterkindbuds 6 years, 10 months ago

As I recall, the story wasn't hushed at all.

A disgruntled Steamboater (go figure) who had a vendetta against Stanford, did some research and found that information.

At the time, Stanford was 21 or 22. At the time, he didn't have children.

He wasn't a 41-year old parent like he is now - and like the bank tellers are.

Before he took the job at the Pilot, he explained the situation to the powers-to-be and was upfront about his past.

If you didn't do anything dumb in your early-20s, then I applaud you.

If you did - like most people - and refuse to be honest about it - you are the worst type of hypocrite.

Please stop being jealous of people who have overcome mistakes in their past, only to achieve success professionaly and become upstanding members of the community.

Peace.

Jason Miller 6 years, 10 months ago

Shadow there is never a good reason to steal.Especially on this level.They were not caught taking some spare change from the jerry's kid jar.These people are greedy and would of stole even if there was affordable housing.

letomayo 6 years, 10 months ago

misterkind, upstanding member of the community? I did stupid things as a 20 something person and I still do stupid things as a 40 something person and will do stupid things until I die but I don't try to make others like the formwer editor did into bad people when they make mistakes and now I worry about these families and what the paper and the blogers will do and say about these two very nice women and members of our community for a long time.

bikegirl 6 years, 10 months ago

leto-yes these women are nice and yes they have been here a long time-stealing 900,000 is a BIG deal,there is a difference between being stupid and having the knowledge and means to embezzle money.This is a serious crime,maybe you can afford to have 2 "nice"people steal your money,I work too hard for mine.I personally feel betrayed by a person whom I have known for many years.

letomayo 6 years, 10 months ago

Wow now Frank whoever he is another enemy of the kind people in steamboat? I shouldn't of gotten started on the other guy and that was not nice but I worry about the people who are newspaper just loves to hurt. yes it is news but it is almost like the paper tries to incite us into being our worst so it can say how popular it is. I appologize for my comments made earlier I got caught up in another community members' sad story and the paper alwasys saying how are community is so nice and then I worried about these two women and there families and what will happen to the kids at school and around town.

steamboatcrazy 6 years, 10 months ago

Are you kidding me. I also know both of these women and they are nice people......but they are accused of stealing almost a million dollars. Thats big time. Scott Stanford had nothing to do with this crime and he also did his time in a federal prison. I also hope their kids don't have too hard of a time over this but get real.....if they did it the should be held accountable. I also question the bank as to why the didn't catch this until customers noticed there accounts were short

MtnWarlock 6 years, 10 months ago

Aaaah! Steamboat is not as immune to things as we would like to believe! It does happen here! I share the sentiment with the rest of you by saying, I feel real bad for the children of these mothers! As far as the blogger scrutiny, well these women will be burned to the stake like Salem witches, before the day is done! It can be brutal here! I'm glad I don't bank at that institution. Unfortunate. :-(

letomayo 6 years, 10 months ago

bikegirl they didn't steal money from me so I don't feel betrayed I feel sad and disappointed. betrayed is what real friends do to you when you thought they were your friends and not this. If you know how to embezzle and that must take a smart person then I say stupid becasue you didn't use your smart side you used your stupid side. It is easy in this town to feel like you need money to be important and not know that your good qualities count more because money is the root of all evil as they say and look how many times people who have money in this town cheat others to get it like realators and lawyers when you go through a divorce and shop owners prices and developers and construction owners and everyone like that. Every day no matter what we do we can cheat others in some little way to try to get ahead. Betray is what we do to our friends or relations or aquaintances when we know they are good and turn our backs on them when they make big or little mistakes. These two women are aquaintences of mine and I liked them and now I am sad for them irregardless of their mistake and I wish them no further harm.

80488mom 6 years, 10 months ago

Integrity is the essence of your character. Without integrity who are you? These incidents aren't easily dismissed as mistakes. Your character is flawed. If it is true about Scott I'm sadly disappointed. He took an oath of conduct as a cadet. "I will not lie, cheat or steal nor tolerate those among us who do." I'm sorry IF he didn't take it seriously and the government footed a $300,000 education to someone who obviously wasn't deserving.

Dukebets 6 years, 10 months ago

letomayo - I'm not sure if you're being sarcastic or genuine when you say "now I worry" and "two very nice women".

I'm not real concerned about anyone's future that 'supposedly' rips off $900,000. And, you're judgement of character is extremely flawed. I bet Alpine Bank and Bank of the West don't consider them very nice. I bet the customers that were missing $$$'s don't consider them nice. I bet all the existing customers of those banks, don't consider them nice.

They have done serious harm to the reputation of those Banks, their co-workers, and their families.

For those 2 gals to get arrested at their place of employment, the police must have some pretty solid evidence.

They should have about 15 years to meet plenty of 'nice' people in the women's prison in Pueblo.

letomayo 6 years, 10 months ago

Duke I'm not saying what they did is right I'm saying they are nice people who have made a big mistake and I know how people are treated in this town expecially when they make mistakes. I don't feel betrayed I feel disappointed.

As far as the banks go there reputations are intact more than these womens reputations and I'm not saying that isn't there fault. I am not going to betray them by leveling the blast against them like others in the town will. The banks are insured and these two were caught so how does that damage there reputation unless you have alot of money and you want a bank that has never been embezzled if that is possible. I don't have much money but what I have is enough for me so stealing is not my thing.

I'm not saying their innocent and probably the police have enough and banks are good at figuring out what went wrong when it goes wrong so that's that. Yes if they go to prison that will be the consequence but I am not going to pick at them like other holier than thous.

Have you ever cheated anyone in your life and I don't mean like this but cheating is cheating there are big and little consequences and what takes place now is not for me to judge them. I am judging them for how they have treated me in the past and for the past good things they have done. This is a disappointment but I won't turn my back on them if I see them on the street.

shadow 6 years, 10 months ago

If they are guilty, they sound like nice people who just made some bad decisions, its likely they're sorry and won't do it again.

80488mom 6 years, 10 months ago

Give me a break. Sure they are sorry and won't do it again. If they didn't get caught they would have continued. What possesses someone to dishonor their family and their children with such despicable behavior?

letomayo 6 years, 10 months ago

sad thing 88mom is they might have been thinking of there families in a very distorted way. Why you would steal from a bank when you work for that bank is very strange and poor thinking but thats what they did. Despicable equals that which can be despised? I can think of worse things that can be done like child molesting and killing and prejudice. Don't get carried away with the selfrighteousness, mom.

Mel 6 years, 10 months ago

I am disgusted at this behavior. I used to be a bank teller and I can't imagine what would go through your head to make you think that this was okay or that you wouldn't get caught. I do feel very sorry for their children. Hopefully people will not mistreat or judge their children for their mother's wrong doing. I bank at Alpine bank and I intend to look over my statements for the last few years... this sucks.

I too feel betrayed by someone I thought I could trust with my most private information, financial, social security number etc... I hope they serve time for this and have to pay back the money in restitution for the rest of their lives. That is what they deserve.

80488mom 6 years, 10 months ago

You cannot tell me that Terry's husband and children are not going to suffer from this.

JazzSlave 6 years, 10 months ago

Not nearly the same thing, but this reminds me of a girlfriend I had years ago, who was a bank teller.

She was dealing with a customer who looked like a bum dirty, tattered clothing; unshaven & poorly groomed, etc. He was also a belligerent jerk, and she was a bitch in return. The guy returned the next day and announced that he didn't appreciate the way he'd been treated, and was closing out his accounts. He turned out to be one of the Weyerhaeusers, and had 6-figures sitting in that bank.

My girlfriend got fired.

80488mom 6 years, 10 months ago

Selfrighteousness? Society has lowered standards and become more accepting of behaviors previously unacceptable.....and this is what happens. Oh...just a thief...could be worse......it's okay.

Guess they bailed out.

shadow 6 years, 10 months ago

Their photos look like before & after shots for some cosmetic procedure.

spud0418 6 years, 10 months ago

I just have to say that as a customer of alpine bank I am very angry with this story. For the last three years only Terri and Pam have handled my accounts. I feel I have been betrayed. Everyone says "Oh but their nice people " But ask yourself this do NICE people steal from others, do nice people like to your face, do nice people put their children, husbands and friends throught this?? They knew right from wrong. They knew the people they were stealing form and they didn't care about their feelings or what they were doing to their lives. This all makes me question who you can trust. You have to think this could have easily been anyone of us. Both of these women had hundreds of account numbers not only at one bank but at two. Who knows what they have really done!!! I can't believe I was friends with them. I can't believe that I trusted them and I hope that they had fun with it while it lasted because they won't be enjoying anything anytime soon.

Kojak 6 years, 10 months ago

I surmise, a lot of the money went to the tanning booth.

bikegirl 6 years, 10 months ago

spud-That's why I say betrayed-these women were outwardly friendly and nice ,and robbing their neighbors with a smile.

thecondoguy1 6 years, 10 months ago

I agree with shadow, I think they are just nice people who are misunderstood, they should be allowed to keep the money, and just get some treatment, perhaps there is a local group for bank robbers, I think a little therapy is the solution here, stealing from your friends, neighbors, and family can be very stressful................

Brian Smith 6 years, 10 months ago

I actually feel bad for them in a way, I sometimes (always) feel that I could use a bit more money. Can't imagine how bad it must be to get to the point of stealing...risking everything, must have been a desperate time.

bikegirl 6 years, 10 months ago

Hey condoguy,perhaps a spa day,and a manicure will help them see the error of their ways.And where DID all the money go?I doubt whatever facillity they end up in provides manicures.

424now 6 years, 10 months ago

We will hear more on this soon I am sure.

Theft is a crime a duplicitous and larcinous person will perpetrate. I dispise the act and will remember the criminal forever. As you may have guessed I have been the victim of theft.

However,

We all should hold our opinions on these women until after the case has been tried. We need to hear the whole story. Then and only then should accusations and recriminations be spoken.

wiokco 6 years, 10 months ago

I'm in financial industry and always advise clients check Mutual Fund/Brokerage statements carefully. Just because it's printed on nice paper and appears correct, errors are made by those who input or upload transactions. Compare against your pay stub or bank records. People make errors, plus there's crooks in this world!

I worked at bank and have no idea how these 2 got around internal check and balance system? Something must have been fishy in the general ledgers; someone wasn't paying enough attention. I noticed the article didn't go into detail regarding this, for good reason I'm sure.

mtnkids 6 years, 10 months ago

hmmmm. let's see...you are in your 40s with husbands and children and you make multiple conscious decisions to steal money from people, the same people you have looked in the eye while handling their transactions. shame on you.

let us put aside the moral issue that stealing is just wrong. i, too, find it difficult to believe that, in this day and age, someone could actually believe that they could get away with this. perhaps a few bucks missing here and there, but 900 grand!!! any good computer forensics expert can dive in and trace problems back to each individual keystroke. just because some people know them as "nice" women doesn't excuse their behavior. for anyone to imply that they are innocent is just absurd.

the complete lack of a measurable level of intelligence in these women is appalling. this all sounds like a serious cry for help.

local1 6 years, 10 months ago

They need to inform the public on exactly how it was done in order for people to be able to check their accounts correctly for 'errors'. Isn't Terri the one that had all the big diamond rings on her fingers??? If so, apparently that's where a good part of the $900,000 went. How they thought they could get away with this is what gets me. Steamboat is a hard place to live and you hear about embezzeling happening more and more as people feel the stress of trying to survive in this town. Its a wonderful place to live and I suppose that's why they feel the pressure to find any means to afford to stay.
I'm sure their orginal intention was to take 'just a little bit' and greed set in and they got in over their heads. Nice people or not they've betrayed a lot of people, hurt themselves and their families. I really feel for their children as it's not something that will every be forgotten and will bring embarrassment to their families for many many years.

dawnmarie 6 years, 10 months ago

Does anyone up there in Steamboat actually work or do you all just sit around posting on this site all day? :)

bikegirl 6 years, 10 months ago

Surviving is one thing ,indulging is different,I remember several years back we had a woman at the high school -cannot remember her name-anyway she was in charge of the activities,sports fees ,etc.and she embezzled money and bought herself a condo in mexico,and got caught-Don't know how people can do this and live with it-no conscience or what?I just don't get it.

Brian Smith 6 years, 10 months ago

Dawnmarie, in light of this issue, that is pretty funny. I work, I just work from home ;)

portagetheyampa 6 years, 10 months ago

Soooo, who was minding the store at the Alpine Bank??? How could bank officials have missed this amount of money, almost ONE MILLION dollars? I am certainly glad none of my family's money is in this bank!!

And yes, dawnmarie, up here in Steamboat, some of us work, well........ some of the time, anyway!

thecondoguy1 6 years, 10 months ago

dawnmarie, I, like Hyman Roth am a retired investor, living off a small pension, whiling away the day sitting on the deck drinking whiskey and smoking cigars................

LoveSBS 6 years, 10 months ago

Heres a thought....how would these women possibly hide this amount of money from their family...mostly their spouses? Were they in on it to? Are there more arrests coming? It would be hard to believe that other family members did not know anything about this.

saveferris 6 years, 10 months ago

If you have withdrawl/transfer slips that total the amount of transactions in the computer for the day, I doubt anyone would raise an eyebrow. If they were taking cash out of the drawer and not accounting for it, it would have been noticed quickly. Those slips would be easy enough to fake since the tellers have a stack of blank ones at the counter.

They probably took the money from people who have enough that they wouldn't notice a little here and a little there rather than taking it from people with so much money, someone is keeping the books for them. My money was at that bank. I'm sure they saw my monthly balance and figured why bother with peanuts!

shadow 6 years, 10 months ago

Condoguy, I wouldn't be surprised it they were just borrowing it and had planned on giving it back. Bikegirl, they may not have manicures, but likely they have manacles.

shadow 6 years, 10 months ago

For all we know they were framed, they were too nice to rob.

armchairqb 6 years, 10 months ago

And some people think Kevin Nerney is not of good moral character. I know innocent until proven guilty....but if this really is true I would be more afraid of these 2 ladies then a big guy with a mustache.

lolamarie 6 years, 10 months ago

i worked with one of these women at a store downtown 12 years ago. when the store began to come up missing huge sums of cash we all knew who was taking it since it was always after a certain person had worked. the owner made each employee come in early to count the drawer as the person whom had just completed their shift waited. the woman in question was always in a huge hurrry and ignored the owners policy and her drawer was in fact always short large amounts. there were always lies and excuses. she was let go. but the damage was done to the staff that remained. she left cash drawers short constantly knowing others would be blamed. she really does'nt seem to care about the consequences for others at all. i can't believe she was still at it all these years later and had never had charges pressed before now!

ColoradoNative 6 years, 10 months ago

Nice people my ass. If guilty lock them up for the maximum. I don't care about their kids. They obviously don't to do such a thing.

80488mom 6 years, 10 months ago

Out on bail according to the Denver Post.....$20,000 each. Seems minimal. Court date in April.

I think our entire community is shocked. It was the talk of town all day and most know the women and their families. You can't help feel sorry for the families. I would assume it would be hard to go about school and business as usual and be able to hold your head up.

armchairqb 6 years, 10 months ago

What's their addresses i would like to go dig up the coffee cans full of cash (Sopranos style.)

colowoodsman 6 years, 10 months ago

It was not until the alleged victims went to the police and the women had changed jobs that any action was taken??? If I was missing a lot of money I think I would go the the bank and try to find out what was going on before going to the police. Assuming at least one of the banks customers did this and the bank failed to find any problems over the 2004-2007 time period means that either these women are better at covering their tracks than Bigfoot or there is something really wrong at the bank!

raver 6 years, 10 months ago

How could Alpine Bank come up that short and no one notice ? I know the former bank president transfered to Aspen recently,lWHO IS is minding the bank?

messiah 6 years, 10 months ago

Wow!!!! I have spent the last hour reading all of these comments and it is amazing to me how much judgement has been taken on these two women. Just incase you were wondering Jesus says in the bible if any of you are without sin cast the first stone and it looks like a bunch of you have cast your stones. Have any of you ever told a lie, cheated on a girlfriend or boyfriend, drivin drunk though it is against the law, stolen anything, betrayed your best friend. These are all sins to Jesus non greater than the other. He forgives them all and before you judge another like you have these two women you may want to look in the mirror and judge yourself. Whether it is a small crime or a huge crime living with this kind of secret is judgement enough without the community acting like "I can't believe these 2 women would do this. Have you ever been ashamed of anything you have done(no matter what it was? Stop judging!!!!

inmate2007 6 years, 10 months ago

Locals make the big time! or will get big time. Truth is they will get probation, does anyone remember Cindy Winegrosky (spelling) ?

Search embezzlement and see how the community chastises it. Sad to say but the women walk.....................

raver 6 years, 10 months ago

wow messiah,does jesus know where the money is too? or is forgiveness enough?stealing 1.2 million dollars pure greed.It is a felony crime,and hopefully these women will be judged by a jury of their peers.If you can't do the time,don't do the crime.

raver 6 years, 10 months ago

Oh yeah,commandment number 8 "-Do not steal"

Terry Noble 6 years, 10 months ago

Please allow these people to have a fair trial and I also want to know how a Bank can allow this to go so far?

80488mom 6 years, 10 months ago

Shadow - I don't believe affordable housing is the reason. I met Terry over 10 years ago when she was single and first dating Paul. Paul was building a house himself out in the country before housing prices and land values became ridiculous. I just have to feel so sorry for him and those kids of hers. He's your average down to earth, hardworking, simple kind of guy. A talented carpenter. This has to be absolutely devastating to him. I hope he knows people won't pass judgment on him because of something stupid his wife did.

Don't know how they bailed themselves out except that they had plenty of money, obviously, floating around but thinking if I was the spouse I would have let them stay in jail. What a slap in the face that has to be.

One of those things you need to be happy with what you have and not unhappy about what you don't have.

messiah 6 years, 10 months ago

Hey mtnkid and others, Yes there are commandments that say do not steal, but I am talking about a God who forgives all your sins. He also says do not judge or you will be judged at the same manner you judge. Obviously you do not have a personal relationship with God or you would forgive. I am not asking you to excuse the crime but to forgive the individual. What secrets are you hinding in your past that know one knows about!! Do not say nothing,because that would be a lie, and that is also a sin.

JazzSlave 6 years, 10 months ago

messiah

Re: judging these women - guilty as charged. They broke the law and got busted. Forgiveness is between them and whatever higher power they do or don't believe in. Save your sermon for church.

Hadleyburg_Press 6 years, 10 months ago

(false) messiah, Why even both to have laws if you can't pass judgement here on earth?

80488mom 6 years, 10 months ago

Why would someone adopt the ID "messiah"....why not Messiah's Child...or something more along those lines. Adopting Messiah sounds kind of like being a religious radical....all knowing.....follow me.....hear me......gives me the creeps. Why not go al the way and sign on as God.

messiah 6 years, 10 months ago

Well if you are all asking God does live and dewell on the inside of me. Sounds like you are all lost and need direction from Jesus. Are you scared of Him? As for you Jazz Slave and guilty as charged then so are you, I will make sure that I say prayers for you. And yes I am a child of the messiah and He is in me. I will never be ashamed of Him now or ever, that is why I use His name, would you prefer Jesus? Sorry God gives you the creeps, Sounds like you need to be set free from whatever you have been running from.

seeuski 6 years, 10 months ago

Lolamarie, I am surprised no one has picked up on the pattern here, your experience from twelve years ago and continuing through the present seems to indicate a high dollar drug habit may be the driving force behind these thefts. I owned a retail business for many years and have seen the same kind of behaviors before. I was victimized by theft for the purposes of getting high. Until the trial has brought all the evidence to light we can only speculate and certainly these women are presumed innocent until proven guilty but I think there is more than just greed for material items as the motivator, and that to me explains why these women would jeopardize their freedom and family. Drugs have been behind alot of stupid crimes. Cash goes fast when one is hooked.

80488mom 6 years, 10 months ago

God doesn't give me the creeps. You do. I'm a Born Again Christian too. Adopting the moniker "Messiah" as if YOU are all knowing just gives me the creeps. Child of God......would seem more appropriate. There is a difference between witnessing and shoving the gospel down someone's throat. I prefer to lead my life by example than taking a big stick and beating it into someone.

For the record I'm not running from anything. Don't have to. I was set free a long, long time ago.

JazzSlave 6 years, 10 months ago

messiah:

My, my issuing pronouncements on the spirituality & motivations of complete strangers. "Judging" us, in other words. LOFrickinL! Keep it coming. Christian hypocrisy is always entertaining!

80488mom 6 years, 10 months ago

Messiah - and these two should be grateful this country isn't ruled by Islamic law. They have pretty harsh punishments for theft.....like cutting off the hands....or hand...usually is the one they wash their asses with for further public humiliation. Harsh punishment but I guess it does work to deter crime. We've seen over and over a slap on the wrist does little to rehabilitate anyone........maybe a big group hug would work better.

messiah 6 years, 10 months ago

80488mom, if you were set free along time ago, then act like it and quit gossiping about 2 women you now nothing about. Sounds like you aren't sure if you have been set free or not!!!

80488mom 6 years, 10 months ago

Messiah.........and you......aren't you judging all of us? Drafting your own conclusions about our salvation and beliefs? And.....I do know one of them.........but obviously was deceived along with many others. You are the one with the holier than thou attitude. I'm not the one who is calling myself the Messiah.

id04sp 6 years, 10 months ago

This is a very interesting thread. I'm only surprised that one of the folks who used to steal from my cash drawer isn't named in the story.

$20 short every day they work may not sound like a lot, but when you realize it's $400 at the end of the month, that hurts.

When people deal in cash, it's very easy to juggle the books. Cash depots dropped in the night deposit box are a prime target. So is the teller's drawer at the end of the day. Someone who always balances at the end of the day, or who never comes up "long" can be making this happen by stealing. The easiest way to get a few dollars from cash deposits is to transpose figures on the deposit record. Somebody deposits $1,482 gets back a slip that says $1,428. Guess where the other goes? You'd have to spread this around over different customers to prevent them from noticing, but someone keeping track over a long period of time and getting others to do the same could probably come up with enough evidence to make a case.

Also, say you deposit $1,482.93 and check your statement 20 days later and see $1,428.39 deposited. You've got to be really watching the books to catch this kind of "error." Another twist, of course, is that people who are laundering money through a commercial business checking account by adding random sums of cash to store receipts might not be too crazy about going down to the bank with their cash register tapes to prove that some of the money had not been deposited. Victims of economic crimes such as this one are often people who can't afford to complain because their own actions are unlawful.

The lesson here to anyone contemplating running a business in Steamboat is to take the time and trouble to deposit your cash receipts at the commercial teller's window every day in person. Never use the night deposit.

A lot of people will remember Mocha Molly's back when the original owners had the place. They hired a manager who was there for a few months, and found out after he was arrested for stealing from them that he was an ex convict who had served time for theft. The "nice" people you run into who also steal from you know how to gain your confidence and use that against you. It happens all the time. I lost $100k by trusting people -- and yes, I examined the books. The books were cooked.

A lot of the posts regarding the former editor were removed, but the gist of it comes through. At the age he was "screwing up in his 20s" there were a lot of us working hard, staying off drugs and competing for jobs as military pilots. Being in your 20s is no excuse. At least now I know why there was never any interest in exposing some of the "lawful" wrongs that happen in this county. Couldn't afford to rile the system.

messiah 6 years, 10 months ago

80488mom, I am not calling myself the Messiah only using his name for a log in just like you have. The only reason this bothers you so bad is because of the conviction in your heart when you see His name because you have been bashing 2 women. If you know one of these women and you know God, why aren't you praying for them as God has instructed you too in the bible? Instead you would rather portray yourself as the victim who was betrayed!!! I will pray for you as well.

seeuski 6 years, 10 months ago

Hey messiah, do Buddhists have to believe like you? How about Jews and Muslims? We humans have G-d given rights to believe and worship and form opinions. After all aren't we all created equal and free? Isn't your jeolousy of your beliefs dangerous? Good luck in your journey.

thecondoguy1 6 years, 10 months ago

id04, good lesson for anybody in a business where a lot of cash is involved, a good education in accounting and personal attention to that cash is imparative, you also have to have the courage to accuse and prosecute, no mamby pamby with the cash......... mom, I agree self appointed massiah's give me the creeps too, little good ever comes of those so self obsorbed.......

80488mom 6 years, 10 months ago

But I am a mom and I live in the 80488 zip. I'm not the Messiah.

I assume by benefit of birth you, like I, am a Christian. I, however, respect all faiths and think God will one day judge us by our deeds here on earth. He alone can read our hearts. I don't need you to try and read mine.

I read the wisdom of all religions and am particularly fond of those I've read in Buddhism. The Bahai faith is an interesting one as well. They believe every few thousand years God sends a messenger whose message is relevant for the times. They believe Buddha, Jesus and Mohammed were all messengers as is their prophet Bahala (sp.) They believe through Peace calm will come to the world. Through education the world will become a better place. I've heard that if a family cannot afford their child's education the faith will fund it in an effort to meet that end.

Every religion has their fanatics and you are a Christian fanatic and it's unsettling.....not because I'm fearful of anything.....or anyone.....but because I can't stand people who try to force their beliefs on everyone. Don't you think Jesus would want people to come to Him on their own accord....following their own heart...not because someone brow beat them or hit them over the head with a Bible.

messiah 6 years, 10 months ago

Seeuski, according to Gods word you do have to believe like that. If you are a buddists or muslim then you are believing In false gods and I will pray that God opens up the eyes of your understanding. You are right you do however have free will to believe the way you choose does it mean it's always the right way no. Jesus will never force himself on you, He gives you free will. But when the day comes of His return you better hope your belief is in the right God or your goose is cooked. You don't have to believe me, just take a look at the bible and figure it out for yourself. Condoguy, self absorption is not the same as having confidence in who you know to be the one true God Jesus Christ. Sorry you don't have the same. I will pray for you as well. My reason for writting on this web site was to get you people to realize that persecution comes at many different levels and I am sure these women will have plenty.

messiah 6 years, 10 months ago

80488mom sounds like you don't know what you believe in. buddist, muslim etc. Jesus was not only a good messenger He was the only true son of God. How can you call yourself a born again Christian and follow other doctorine is beyond me. God sees this and this is troubling to Him however he will forgive if you ask Him and yes you are running from something because you don't even have faith in your own faith if you did you would be true to the one who gave you salvation. Stop trying to convince yourself that I am a Christian fanatic because you can't handle the truth of what I am saying. Ask God He will show you. I wish you the best in your journey to find the God who opened the door for you that day when you became born again. Stop running from Him.

seeuski 6 years, 10 months ago

messiah, It is time for you to take flight. I must say it gets old hearing the threats of hell from people like you. You will have to wait till you meet your maker to see if you were right or just overconfident in your particular version. Either way, if you want to continue to threaten then why be anonymous? aren't you proud enough to let Jesus and everyone else know?

mtnkids 6 years, 10 months ago

oooohh boy, did i get taken behind the woodshed. ouch. messiah, your complex is showing. once again, judgemental, with emphasis on the mental part. i don't stand in judgment by you or anyone else on this planet. you spout your rhetoric and oral diarhea on forgiveness. do you have forgiveness in you? and don't say yes, because that would be a sin. beyond that, i refuse to engage in a battle of wits with someone who is unarmed.

thecondoguy1 6 years, 10 months ago

you folks do not have to explain your faith to anyone, messiah has the kind of intensity of faith that blows people up, so again mom, it gives me the creeps, God bless you all and be well...............

80488mom 6 years, 10 months ago

Condo Guy WoW......I was out cleaning the barn. Should have been in here ducking the lightening....but a coke bottle fell from the sky and I was using it to grind up alfalfa treats. I came in and started using to to roll a pie crust. My husband wanted it so I had to hit him in the head with it. Well, his leg has been hurting so he started rolling it on his leg for relief. I know it came from God dropping out of the sky like that.

Just one of those days you get the creeps and the hebe geebee's.

raver 6 years, 10 months ago

messiah-it is people with small minds such as yours that keep our world at war,enslave people in poverty ,try to instill fear into those who do not follow you belief system,and judge and condem those who do not worship YOUR god,you are not scary,nor are you enlightened in any way.

oldskoolstmbt 6 years, 10 months ago

<p>messiah...www.iknowtheRIGHTgodperso..., it's a blog page i created for you.

inmate 2007- winograsky...and im pretty sure she didn't just WALK....she did jail time for i believe $8,000., not 1.2mil and counting...i will be surprised if these two women walk!

i find it hard to believe their husbands didn't know, unless they put it in an over seas account...and does someone steal that kind of money and not have an escape plan?

mikescott323 6 years, 10 months ago

Amen Messiah.

She isnt judging you, shes enlighting you.

When you need forgiveness and the world walks out, then we will talk.

How in the heck are Messiahs beliefs instilling war when the main theme is forgiveness?

Not being judged now, thats for judgement day.

i praise God. and will never stop.

justathought 6 years, 10 months ago

Geeze, does charlie manson have access to a computer? messiah sure has the sound of a self-appointed cult leader.

OnTheBusGus 6 years, 10 months ago

I'd say it was David Koresh, maybe he didn't die in Waco after all!

jim_kook 6 years, 10 months ago

messiah, thanks for changing the whole scope of the forum to holier than thou! Did they give the money to your church? nope, spent on realestate ,apparently, and lexus cars. forgive them so you can feel good about yourself

jim_kook 6 years, 10 months ago

The scary thing about this country is how many of you believe in books "written" over 2000 years ago, and then translated/revised in the "dark ages." The same book about a forgiving god that punishes women by making child birth painful as a consequence for one event. think for yourself, don't let centuries of fear mongering dictate how you live. is there anything else written 2000 years ago that has not been reevaluated? I would fear jail, not some subterranean high temperatures if I were these women.

oldskoolstmbt 6 years, 10 months ago

yeah jim boy!!! thank you....i personally live my life for here and now...not what is going to happen when i die, or that dreaded judgement day...because NOBODY knows....people are afraid of the UNKNOWN and have to have answers to everything...im pretty sure if i lead a good life and help people that i will 'get taken care of' the same as that person who has a need to spend a day in a building with other people who have the same beliefs chanting and singing...but i don't know and im ok with that!!

inmate2007 6 years, 10 months ago

OldSkool, thanks for the spelling but if I remember correctly the Jail time came after the 5th conviction and involved some Meth. These ladies seem to have no prior convictions and children (Cindy was childless) to care for so I doubt we will hear anything but time served, probation, and the inability to make restitution.

The Pilot ran an article on security today and listed several of our local embezzlers. Look at their punishment and tell me it's not worth doing, I just don't have the morals for it.

oldskoolstmbt 6 years, 10 months ago

inmate...i don't know anything about the meth...i agree with the multi convictions..a few thousand a piece?...i so agree with your last paragraph tho..i knew someone who had fruad, identity theft & theft charges..found guilty and NOTHING!..but how do ya sleep at night!

mikescott323 6 years, 10 months ago

if it helps you sleep at night, go ahead and think thats why we forgave them

is it really that hard to believe in something bigger than ourselves?

shadow 6 years, 10 months ago

jim k - Since I haven't heard any first hand reports confirming or denying the existence of afterlife, I think Belief is good insurance. The commandments and teachings boil down to the Golden Rule. When you follow you feel good, when you don't you don't.

AmebaTost 6 years, 10 months ago

Sounds like these girls need six months of deversion!! Something Kerry is good at!!

GOD 6 years, 10 months ago

Messiah-- This is the sign you have been waiting for. Please refrain from your preaching ways. Peace...!

oldskoolstmbt 6 years, 10 months ago

shadow, mikescott---WE forgave them????no, it's not hard to believe in something bigger than ourselves, just that some people think they have the right TITLE for that identity and have the need to shove it down everyone's throat! insurance is something that may cover you when in need ,or sometimes you may need to get a new policy!belief/faith helps you, and that is good....everyone is at a different place and we should be more ACCEPTING of where we all are.. PEACE IS RIGHT!

emmalee 6 years, 10 months ago

messiah, note the lower case; your not him. However as a believer (not fanatic) ever hear of "admonishing the sinner" or was that part of "your bible" conveniently not there??? Maybe it was burned in your street barrel for heat.

jim_kook 6 years, 10 months ago

shadow- it doesn't make everyone feel good to follow. sheep follow, leaders lead

bandmama 6 years, 10 months ago

Innocent till proven guilty, yes. But I sure would like to think that the local authorities had a basis for the arrest...s. I agree, poor kids. Theft is theft, but lets hope that the sins of the fathers (mothers) ...................

sportzmama 6 years, 10 months ago

Ya know, my very first grown up job was at a bank, and right away I figured it out that as a bank employee one of the stupidest things you could do was steal from the bank you work for! There are so many checks and balances in the banking industry and for good reason! I just can't imagine anyone without a brilliant criminal mind stealing from a bank! You know with tax season and all everyone checks those kinds of things out.

I would ask that the community wrap it's arms around the spouses and especially the children of these women. We need to rally as a community and let them know we aren't judging them. We shouldn't judge those women either. That will come.

love_boat 6 years, 10 months ago

I worked in banking for 4 years once upon a time and knew of an employee who embezzeled from a customer's account and was caught in less than 6 months and another who stole blank checks out of her boss' check book and forged them and cashed them. She got caught very quickly. I think both ladies had drug issues. Some internal audit proceedures are lacking at the bank. How did this go on for years before being noticed?

I know so many honest, hardworking people in Steamboat who budget and save to buy their annual ski pass, work 2 and 3 jobs, have several roomates just to get by and enjoy living here. Poor and honest beats jail anytime.

osiyo 6 years, 10 months ago

Wow. So many questions about why these women took that money. I bet that once the truth comes out we will all see that climate change was the root of the problem.

messiah 6 years, 10 months ago

to all my fans!!!! Sorry that the truth of Christ scares you all. Prove that the bible is not true and then we can talk. Remember when judgement day comes and you stand before God you can't say you didn't know because you do and remember these blogs because they will come up again, I promise!!!! By the way a message for the anonymous GOD, maybe you need to start preaching, builds character. Let me know how the tree hugging goes for all of you!!! Hope that there is fulfillment in a relationship with the trees. Let me know how that goes for you when you hit rock bottom.

The_Gangstar 6 years, 10 months ago

MtnWarlock... Take your meds. What level are you are on dungeons and dragons?

Hadleyburg_Press 6 years, 10 months ago

messiah, Is it true that environmentalism is a sin in your belief system because it is considered worshipping something other than god? Do you as well have complete and utter disdain for the environment and feel compelled to use all of the resources up before the pending apocalypse? If these things are true then you probably have more in common with these accused thieves than you realize.

justathought 6 years, 10 months ago

osiyo, I don't believe they will use the climate change defense, more than likely it will be "Bush made me do it".

MtnWarlock 6 years, 10 months ago

The_Gangstar, Your referance is to what? Smoke another bowl did we? You talk trash about nothing?

424now 6 years, 10 months ago

I have a two questions.

How do you take a commentary on two middle aged women who stole 1.2 million dollars and turn it into a religeous debate?

Why?

MtnWarlock 6 years, 10 months ago

424now, Anything can happen in this forum! I think there were others asking the same question. Without a facilitator leading discussions here, anything can happen. The Pilot is a little slow to delete posts they deem as inappropriate.