Kathy Connell: Atta boy, atta girl!

— Here it is, Feb. 6, and we already have 345 inches of snow. While this snow is a blessing for the ski industry, businesses in Steamboat and for our drought, the hardship it has created for our city snow removal crews, private snow shovelers and crews cannot be underestimated. They are short-staffed, they are tired, they are sore and they are sick of getting up night after night with no break while the rest of us get to sleep. It's all in an effort to keep our streets, walkways, driveways, roofs and sidewalks safe and free and clear of so much snow.

Let's all take a minute to give them a pat on the back, a honk of the horn, a wave or a smile to tell them we appreciate their hard work. I, for one, am one proud citizen of Steamboat Springs for the incredible efforts our city staff is making to keep us so well plowed. I am one proud employer of our staff, which is constantly having to shovel and re-shovel our walkways and accesses. I am one thankful businessperson for our subcontractors who are conducting private snowplowing and roof shoveling. Thank you to each of you, and don't pay any attention to those whiners who still aren't happy with your efforts or who want you to start later in the day so they can sleep later.

Heck, just hand them a shovel and say, "How about a little help?"

Kathy Connell

Steamboat Springs

Comments

colowoodsman 6 years, 7 months ago

It is so typical of the tourist people to hand out praises, kudos and thank yous while withholding wages and housing that local workers need and deserve! Short staffed? You bet they are! And it is because the tourist industry does not pay high enough wages for workers to afford decent housing while at the same time renting out all available housing to tourist for top dollar. This is why we see so many foriegn workers that are attracted by what they think are high wages but don't realize what they are getting into.

logbuilder 6 years, 7 months ago

Thank you for the 4 feet if ice chunks and snow the grader piled into my and my neighbors drives on Friday. It was greatly appreciated.

colowoodsman 6 years, 7 months ago

Mountaingirl- Kathy is or was one of the partners of Colorado Resort Services and a member and past president of Steamboat City Council. That makes her "tourist people' in my book!

fish 6 years, 7 months ago

Well maybe next time they can just leave them in the road for you, naw I am sure that you would still bitch.

logbuilder 6 years, 7 months ago

there wasn't any snow on the road Friday. They were attempting to push back the berm and left a trail of boulder sized ice chunks down the entire street, instead. Guess he was half asleep daydreaming about all that overtime pay.

STEMBOATwannabe 6 years, 7 months ago

Hey This was a nice article/letter. Some people are working hard during the season. It really would not hurt for everyone to be pleasant to these "seasonal" workers. If they didn't do their job it would be extremely difficult to get around.

mountaingirl33 6 years, 7 months ago

colowoodsman- Kathy is not a "tourist people" she is a long time local.

Kathy- I agree with you, these folks are busting their butts!! That is a lot of snow to keep up with.

Thanks to all who get up early to keep our street's as safe as you can in light of storm after storm, you all are great and probably don't get told thank's enough- THANK YOU !!!!!!

STEMBOATwannabe 6 years, 7 months ago

Just because someone works in the "tourist" industry, does not make them a tourist.

Kathy lives and works in Steamboat area. What ever her present or past jobs/volunteer status is, her point is that there are those that work in the service end of keeping Steamboat running that have had a long go at the non-stop snow this season.

A friendly smile or wave can work wonders for morale. I appreciate all the shovelers and the snow plow operators. As well as the bus drivers who make sure everyone gets where they are going. Thank you to the postman who brings my bills. (That I pick up at the post office.)

Everyone who works in the Steamboat area that keeps our economy going.

Thank you!

Gadfly 6 years, 7 months ago

Good grief! You I-distrust-everyone-and-everything types lose all credibility when you attack someone for saying "Thank You." Time to get a life -- preferably somewhere else.

CindyMaddox 6 years, 7 months ago

Kathy - I join you in thanking our City crews for the great job they are doing. This has been a difficult year and they are deserving of appreciation.

I join Gadfly in wishing the angry- complainers here a quick one-way ticket to somewhere more to their liking.

colowoodsman 6 years, 7 months ago

I didn't mean that KC was a 'tourist' but that she is part of the tourism industry that is destroying the Yampa valley and is the leading cause of the local affordable housing crisis. If you read my post carefully you will realize that I am sticking up for the workers and saying that they deserve more than just a 'pat on the back' and a 'thank you' for their efforts. I have watched tourism take over this town for over 30 yrs. I have watched many friends work 2-3 jobs to try to stay here before giving up and moving on. I have seen many 'booms and busts' and I think we are headed for another 'bust'. I appreciate those of you who are concerned about the quality of my life and my geographic location but I'm just fine, thank you! Perhaps you need to examine your own situation if you have nothing better to do than to criticize me.

bloggyblog 6 years, 7 months ago

i agree with ms. connells basic premise. i always try to thank the snow removal crews. partly because its a necessary and thankless job, partly because their part of a dying breed(working class in steamboat). but its easy to preach like that when your the one making 'bank 'off of the tourist industry. if she wants to appear sincere, maybe she should put her money where her mouth is and throw down some bonus cash for our snow removal crews. otherwise this letter is just a self-serving, patronizing pile of dookie.

STEMBOATwannabe 6 years, 7 months ago

Does it really matter where someone makes"bank"???

She just wanted to let those who are keeeping the area clear that they are appreciated.

I also appreciate all the long, thankless hours the plowers are putting in.

bloggyblog 6 years, 7 months ago

bloggy's sorry about calling kathy connell's letter dookie. its just blog had a bad dream where blog woke up in fantasyboat springs. kathy connell was dressed up like mr. rork and blog was the little sidekick(tatoo blog). blog had to follow behind connellrork saying' yea boss, sure boss, whatever you say boss' while connellrork walked arround telling all the workers 'smiles everyone, smiles'. that was the worst dream blog has had since the boogieman.