Michael Turner: Triple Crown facts

— In his column (and I use that term loosely) April 23, Rob Douglas again proceeded to brush aside facts and legitimate concerns through a feeble attempt at humor laced with arrogance and pompous rhetoric. Those who voice complaints concerning Triple Crown are "doobie smoking" dreamers living in a mythical world with no legitimate grievances that he can determine. Well, Mr. Douglas, here are some facts. Four years ago, my wife and I purchased a townhome near the base of the ski mountain in what is commonly known as the Mountain Village. This was after many years of living outside the city limits. After all of those years of experiencing quiet evenings with our doors and windows open during the summer, we accepted that we would now be experiencing what we called "city noise." The reality is that there is not generally much city noise. During those years of living outside of the city limits, we never really paid much attention to Triple Crown. We just knew that there were a bunch of big SUVs with ridiculous sayings painted on the windows filling up the parking lot at the market for several weeks during the summer.

Unfortunately, since moving into town, we have had to call the Steamboat police eight times during the first two summers and six times last summer because of loud, disruptive and sometimes damaging behavior on the part of vacationers staying at either our complex or one adjacent to us. In each and every case, those renters were Triple Crown groups. Never anyone else.

So contrary to your claims that those who disdain Triple Crown have no true grievance or valid complaints, you are incorrect. An example of one of our calls to the police was a group on the deck of another townhouse unit at 11 p.m. with a boom box blasting and several people dancing on a table and yelling with a beer in each hand. Just one example of the quality of vacationer some of the Triple Crown groups bring to our town. I suppose it does demonstrate the economic benefit to one of our former city council members who just happens to own the local beer distributorship.

Along with the noise, there are costs associated with their behavior. Time spent by the Steamboat police dealing with those calls costs all of us through tax dollars. Cost of repairing damage is very relevant to us as homeowners. And, yes, we have had damage to our property. As I talk to friends and other homeowners who live in neighboring townhome and condominium complexes near the base of the mountain, I hear the same story over and over all summer long. Those costs and civic disruptions are never mentioned by the Steamboat Springs Chamber Resort Association when glorifying the benefits of Triple Crown. This letter is not a commentary on the overall economic or social benefits of Triple Crown to our community. It is intended to demonstrate that contrary to the ill informed and self-centered opinion of Mr. Douglas, there are legitimate concerns with the arrival each summer of Triple Crown groups. So instead of lacing your attempts at being a legitimate news journalist with pompous arrogance and derogatory, hateful rhetoric toward those in the community who you might not agree with, get out and actually listen to what people have to say. You might learn that there actually is some validity to their concerns and complaints. But then again, without someone to demean and ridicule, you probably wouldn't have much to write about.

Michael Turner

Steamboat Springs

Comments

PJ Howe 5 years, 11 months ago

I wonder if Mike has an economic stimulus package for the 200+ jobs that will be lost during those summer months or for the millions in lost revenues to area businesses and city coffers. I wonder if Mike has been attending the NW CO sport complex meetings and/or been helping in any way to look for alternatives to keep this lucrative business coming to the area. Well Mr. Mike Nimby, I'm with ya. The only good growth for Steamboat is NO growth.

Neil O'Keeffe 5 years, 11 months ago

Atta Boy Mike, couldn't have said it better. Thanks! Do you have any interest in getting a petition going so maybe the citizens can have a say in November? You know how to reach me from race crew and Horizons. Believe!

bloggyblog 5 years, 11 months ago

blog thinks mr. turner must believe in fighting fire with fire. in denouncing rob's article he uses words like feeble, arrogant, pompous and self centered. i guess its o.k. for him to express his opinion in a negative, atagonistic manner but blog thinks it just serves to diminish his credibility. also can't help but wonder if he tried talking to the loud group before calling police. it may sound crazy but sometimes a diplomatic approach can work without having to get police involved.

Krista Monger 5 years, 11 months ago

Another group will fill up the vacancy of triple crown.

I seem to remember years back, that the national cutting horse association came to town for one of the weeks that triple crown was here. Let me tell you, these guys had money. Lots of it. And even though they were a smaller group of people, I bet they forked more money over than triple crown. They didn't bring their coolers already full of food. I think that the cutting horse association wanted to make it an annual event, but the city said no, they were doing triple crown. If that's true (I'm not sure if it is), we lost a very lucrative group.

I'm just saying, there are other groups that we can woo. It's time to ditch the fratboys, lets go with someone else.

elk2 5 years, 11 months ago

Mike, I wish more residents would speak up with real life examples of how TC has changed this community. Remember, Mr. Douglas is a relative newcomer to Steamboat. This place is nothing like DC. He thinks we're just a bunch of whiners.

justathought 5 years, 11 months ago

Mr. Turner, get a grip. As I posted in response to another's failure to "read" the article, Rob said "this faction skipped civics class in favor of a doobie under the bleachers the day terms like "democracy," "republic" and "representative democracy" were taught." ROB was talking about those that want everything to go to a vote of the people; not just those opposed to TC. I do not know Rob and this is not in support of him, I'm just getting enough of the "word games" from all of the presidential candidates. I'm getting tired of those that hear what they want to hear, can twist it enough to further their own agenda and then spread it around as if it's gospel.

twostroketerror 5 years, 11 months ago

Nice to see the pilot put a dissenting opinion in print instead of just the on line comments. Any one know where to get any of those 3C crossed out bumper stickers? I need to cover up my 'Wall for Sheriff'....

424now 5 years, 11 months ago

Mr. Turner,

You state valid concerns but dress them up with the same derogitory rhetoric you decry. The end result gives the impression of older citizen pining for silence of rural colorado aftermoving into a growing city for the added convenience.

TC is growing. The Boat is growing. To ignore the potential benefit of accomodating TC's growth in the midst of our building boom is simply crazy,

summerbird 5 years, 11 months ago

I just want to give the Pilot credit for doing a decent job in publishing both sides of the issues. The editors have not forgotten what good journalism is all about. So, if it this issue or the conservative commentaries, the sheriff, the traffic, the expansion, the economy, etc., we live in a democracy and the other side still has a right to its opinions. These blogs are proff that any half-baked opinion is published.
We really need to worry when that is taken away from us!

Ilike2dv8 5 years, 11 months ago

kmm, It was not the City or TC that caused the cutting horse event to move. It was a conflict between the rodeo and another progressive city who offered something substantial for them to come. It was a HUGE loss to our community both in terms of economic impacts as well as a super event.

As for Mr. Turner, I couldn't agree more with Blog. I have never met Mr. Douglas or you but based on the articles I've read from him I find him pretty on target most of the time. As for you, I've read plenty of your comments regarding the airport and now this. I find your opinions to be completely disconnected from the majority of the community and your approach loaded with far more venom and distain. You come across as a hater so any stock value you may have had is lost with your unobjective attacks on others and their views.

caplka 5 years, 11 months ago

Mr. Turner:

Now Now, such articulation.

I am the father who brought that no good former city councilman into this world. I am also the guy who negotiated the first TC contract some 27 years ago at the bequest of the majority of the good old timers in SS. A lot of them played softball and enjoyed the competition. I can still see Rosa Devault , Jean. and cousin John sitting behind the back stop enjoying the events.

Mr. Turner, I don't understand your attack on the one group of TC people. I lived in SS for 30 plus years and thought some ski groups, campers, Hell's Angels, and even Gold Wingers were pretty rude. I guess when people get together it happens. After all, it is their free time and vacation. Not everyone can sit on the porch and listen to the breeze in the trees.

Next time you have a problem, ask those involved to cool it. Afterall, you are intellegent and people will listen to you. Why do you live in a tourist area and want to be excused from Tourist activity?

If I see a bad apple in the barrel, I don't throw the whole batch out.

I also remember when a old cowboy and his brother rode their horses into the El Rancho. I was astonished and almost stepped on by the animal. I didn't go out to form a group to ban horses in town or in the county. The good ole boys were just having fun like we did in the old days of SS before elitism took over. If Hazie Werner were alive she would really scold your viewpoint.

Lastly, I am glad you didn't mention that former city councilman's eastern european heritage. I am sure you would have a problem with our kind in the valley.

We run a clean business and promote only activities that our fun and help grow the economy. Mr. Turner, Im have 4 grand kids growing up in SS and would be the first to shut any activity down that would harm them.

TC is not bad.

Thanks,

Boompa/Pa Pa Larry Kaminski Poulsbo, WA

SilverSpoon 5 years, 11 months ago

This article highlights the: "a few bad apples, spoil the bunch" argument. I too live on the mountain, which is not "the city". Most mountain properties are either long term rentals, or nightly rentals, or the 2 weeks per year residence. So by living on the mountain you choose to be around, a 20 year-old crowd that run our lifts, works at the daycare to raise our kids, and drives our taxis in addition to the winter/spring breakers, TC's, and vacationers in general. These are your neighbors during peak season; during mud season, you have no neighbors, so enjoy the quiet time while it lasts, I know i do. As for peak season, I suppose calling the cops is one solution, since week in and week out you have a new group which doesn't behave the way you like. You should try knocking on the door, and tell them to shut it, then call the police.

As far as the police costing the tax payers everytime they need to respond to a sitiuation; they are paid whether marching or fighting. Good cops have jobs because of the variety of trouble makers that visit or live in our town. We know what happens when the police have nothing to do, they set up their mobile speedometer and bust people for doing 30 in a 25, their little homage to locals.

424now 5 years, 11 months ago

Mr. Kaminski,

Thank you for the perspective. It is nice to have a seasoned local point out the tunnel vision some of us tend to develop.

another_local 5 years, 11 months ago

Yep, better call the cops. If those 14 year old triple crown ball players were dancing on the tables holding beer bottles they should know we are serious about under-age drinking around here.

Or maybe they were not triple crown after all and just happened to be here during a triple crown week?

Hadleyburg_Press 5 years, 11 months ago

To me, the anti-TC crowd is doing nothing but screaming out a eulogy to the Steamboat Springs of bygone years. I am simpathetic to this, for I too wish that some things never changed including my own aging body. However, along with the prospering of this nation and a positive birth rate comes a price. A price that is exacted is the loss of pristine resources such as this valley. Part of that resource was its ranching heritage. Another part was lonely streets and mom and pop stores. I hope that some of the valuable things that make up this valley are slower to disappear. One of which is the friendly smile of a neighbor, friend, or stranger. We are still a community that has the ability to stay as such even as times change. More people are going to come to this town whether we like it or not. It is their right. I agree with managed growth, but I disagree with discriminating against any civilized group, and yes, I consider TCers to be civilized. I realize that this is a complex issue that involves more than hospitality and economics, but ultimately how we behave is what I find to be of the greatest importance. We are not going to be able to turn back the clock no matter how hard we scream. Inevitably, Steamboat will grow, and I for one hope that it is in a way that brings with it the opportunity to show those, that can only visit, that we are a genuine community of smiling people.

toboyle105 5 years, 11 months ago

If I recall, the who;e idea of ski towns across USA are marketed as party towns. Read any ski or snowboard mag or blog. Why would you move closer to the mountian unless it was the whole vibe you wanted. The old days involved weed and a whole lot of being wild. If you are a boomer, you need to shut your pie holes and look in the mirror. Toss that first stone if you are pure and clean. By the way, Steamboat is a TOURIST town just like any tourist town in the world. If that is not what you are looking for, saddle up and move off to the hinterlands partner.

MtnWarlock 5 years, 11 months ago

Larry, I miss a lot of the old faces of Steamboat. I'm still here. I visit Rosa, miss Jean(rip), and see John at Wal-mart. I was there as well! I remember the horse thing, funny as hell! Your boys a good carbon of you! Thanks! I hope all is well with you!

Michael, I've known you for a lot of years now. I understand your frustration and I share it with you! I liked your old home and thought it was heaven! I moved out of town and out of my trailer for the reasons you and other bloggers have stated. Hopefully things will get better. If not, the local residential areas are the place to move to! Hope you are well!

SilverSpoon, You are on the buck when you say;

This is why I live out in the county! Have a good one all! Enjoy the mud season while it's here! ;-}

toboyle105 5 years, 11 months ago

I wonder how many of the commenters first moved to SB for its party vibe? Now they are old hound dogs laying about the porch licking the family jewels. Its better to burn out than it is to rust. Guess when you run off to Maui during mud season you are chior boys. Oh, but that may upset your carbon footprint. Give me a break.

MtnWarlock 5 years, 11 months ago

toboyle105, Dude, not every day is a chronic 420 day in Steamboat! Only people with real issues think that way. Depending on what publication you read, each portrays Steamboat to fit their subscribers. I think you must have had parent issues by the way you speak. Dude, I hope not! You must just be tired of listening to everyone whine. That's OK! Be careful which boomers you are dissing, they may be the same ones you depend on for help someday! Chill out! Peace out, dude!

toboyle105 5 years, 11 months ago

Mr Warlock, I'm not sure what my fellow boomers can do for me. By the way, I'm not a DUDE. Too old to be called that. One thing though is I have not forgotten where I came from. Been all over the world and seen it all. Not as a tourista. If it wasn't for the mountian you would be another Milner. No offense to Milner but SB'ers think that the rainbow pot stops there. By the way what is a chronic 420 day?

MtnWarlock 5 years, 11 months ago

Chronic: type of pot quality. 420: 4/20 last Saturday. National pot smoke out day.

By the way, tourism is the pot of gold that supports the area. Mining is second, ranching third. Back in the day, it was mining, ranching, skiing, in just that order. So basically, yeah! Nobody's too old to be a dude! Maybe to relate to the verbiage is another thing. A boomer whose in the medical field, law, etc., maybe the help you request someday. I was being facetious. Sorry.

colowoodsman 5 years, 11 months ago

What I get from some of these and other posts is that if one is a tourist or pro-tourism then one can can diss or annoy any/everyone they want but if one objects to any of the above they are to be 'tarred and feathered and run out of town'. It kind of reminds me of when smoking was allowed in bars and restuarants. It was belived that smokers were somehow entiteled to pollute the air that everyone, including nonsmoking customers and employees, had to breathe. If you didn't like it you were told to 'shut up and leave'. Thank God we've gotten over that and the world has not come to an end.

Malcolm_Reynolds 5 years, 11 months ago

Larry, It was great to hear from you. Many years ago you wrote a letter to the Pilot supporting Triple Crown teams coming to the valley. I was impressed then and I am impressed now that you have commented on the situation. What I remember is you asked the elitist whiners, if we should put a gate at the base of Rabbit Ears and have visitors pass a demographics test so the right type of tourists can proceed and rest be turned away. Of all the letters about TC, yours has stuck in my mind to this day. Yes, I did move to SB for its party vibe and a job transfer not related to tourism. Married a local girl, now, we are raising our children that have played in TC tournaments. They wonder why people are complaining about TC, when they had met such nice people. We still own a Suburban and crew cab pickup (a Suburban is a truck, not an SUV) that have the numbers and names of our children that play sports at school in the fall and winter. It's not just in the summertime any more! They never leave the valley, only to go to away games.

trump_suit 5 years, 11 months ago

Sorry Mr. Turner, but people that choose to act like morons come from all walks of life, and are not unique to TC. Just ask those people that were on the bus this winter when the boys from Texas had it out with the colored guy. How about the destruction party last year, I don't think they were involved in TC either. Read the police reports, every day there are reports of bad behavior that do not involve Triple Crown

Your continued calling of the police in these situtations does little more than give us humorous anecdotes to read in the police blotter but has little impact on the next guest that visits our town. I have not done any research, but it does not appear that the police are really any busier with these kinds of complaints during the TC timeframe. It appears that your unfavorable opinion is driven more by individual actions than by the group at large.

My point is this: This decision about the future of TC in Steamboat needs be be answered with questions of our summertime economy.

1 What is the right mix of summertime visitors to our area? 2 What will the impact be if this event leaves? 3 What will the impact be if it expands to the levels desired? by TC. 4. What if anything will replace that lost income for business and city tax revenues? 5 Can the impact of TC on our community be mitigated by carpooling, bus routes, or public transportation? 6. How much of the bill should TC be responsible for?

colowoodsman 5 years, 11 months ago

Warlock-where did you get your info and where does new construction fit in? I think there are a lot of business operating here 'under the radar' via telephone and internet. How about TIC? Are they included as generating income?

MtnWarlock 5 years, 11 months ago

colowoodsman, http://quickfacts.census.gov/qfd/states/08/08107.html is one source.

http://www.yampavalley.info/business0006.asp is another.

I remember the blogs over the anti-smoking ban! Wow! There was some heated blogs here then! Have a good one!