Peter Van De Carr: To the City Council

Thank you for all your work regarding the issues surrounding Emerald Park and the Triple Crown organization. Back in the early '90s I stood up in front of your predecessors and denounced Triple Crown stating that our town should promote our mountain sports for which we are famous, rather than team sports that seemed uncharacteristic given our lack of amenities (at the time).

City Council disagreed, citing our need for a year-round economy. City Council took it upon themselves to create opportunity; I adjusted my business to embrace that decision.

Somewhere along the line of discussion there was a promise residents in the vicinity of Emerald Park believe was made. If, in fact, that promise was made and documented : end of discussion, Triple Crown should not be permitted at Emerald Park. But, if there is no such documentation of such a promise, as is common business practice, then it never happened. Let's play ball.

I've always been a big believer that city leaders should strive to create opportunity for their constituents. By doing so (creating opportunity), we create an atmosphere where subsidizing housing and child care become less necessary. With opportunity, affordability follows.

In my business, for example, we hire youths from the community, thus giving them a sense of work ethic. We purchase products from other merchants, we pay sales and use tax. The benefits of opportunity don't need to be listed, I think you understand.

I have several good friends who live on Trafalgar Drive. I empathize with their situation and hope they'll understand mine. Twelve days is not a lot to ask. City Council must make a decision based on what is best for the community, not for a street of citizens who may have been mislead or didn't have the foresight to have an agreement written down.

We should all work to create opportunity and work equally hard to eliminate subsidy.

Peter Van De Carr

Steamboat Springs

Comments

yampa 6 years, 6 months ago

Clevedave has it right. Where else can we generate the kind of tax revenue they bring in? Who wants to say we only plow the streets once a week next winter?

424now 6 years, 6 months ago

Contrarian,

Tell me that was sarcasm...please.

Thread,

Your property tax not high enough is it? How much tax are you folks willing to commit us all too? I for one do not look forward to a higher tax because a few nimby vocalists raised their voices and the taxes.

Taking a positive approach and planning for more Baseball Diamonds will only make the new Steamboat Springs a greener place. When Seven Hundred homes are completed won't we need a few more ball fields?

424now 6 years, 6 months ago

A reasonable look at a situation that has several people in the community concerned.

This is my opinion. If you actually want a fish you need to bait the hook.

12 days

My relatives stay longer than that when they come and they directly cost me a heck of lot more than a parking inconvenience.

If in fact the city seriously wants to keep TC involved in the Boat they need to do the simple task of adding new fields for them to accomodate their expansion. They will also need to plan for future expansion. In the interim let TC use Emerald.

However...

If you let TC use Emerald you had better have new fields by the end of summer or we may well see another changing of the guard a City Hall.

oldskoolstmbt 6 years, 6 months ago

if traffic is an issue, then those residents should be compensated for their troubles....pay to park in emerald lot and that money gets divided to the residents...if the price is high enough, maybe the tcn'ers will ride the free bus, hence cutting down on traffic..? just a thought

BoatMaster 6 years, 6 months ago

oldskool

I live at the base of the mountain. lets charge all the skiers for parking and divide the money to me and my neighbors. Great Idea!!

justathought 6 years, 6 months ago

boatmaster, were you there before the mountain and were you told by the council that no tourist skiers would be allowed to use it? Doesn't quite compare now does it?

oldskool, your solution isn't a solution at all, if residents are to be compensated for being inconvenienced by their government, lots of people in lots of towns have lots of money coming. I'll never understand why so many people think that money can fix anything.

oldskoolstmbt 6 years, 6 months ago

justa...my "solution" was not aimed at money...it was aimed at a way to cut down on the 30-50 suv's speeding through this neighborhood ten times a day trying to make it to their game on time...so i guess another idea (and i will take out the money factor), close the parking lot..they can park at our wonderful park -n-ride lot and be forced to ride the bus...of course this is just one issue of the TC battle...

BoatMaster 6 years, 6 months ago

Justathought.

Yes I was living at the base of the mountain before it was there. It was a wonderfull flat place. I remember it rising from the ground and thinking " That looks like a great mountain to ski on, I hope no tourists will ever come here because I feel like I own it now and nobody else can use it"

Shortly thereafter everyone in Steamboat through their taxes made roadways and facilities around the mountain but I still think " Hey even though it was built with everyones tax money I still own it because I live near it and no other opinion matters. Because I have the Steamboat entitlement"

Ha ha , what a joke. Everyone thinks they personally own Steamboat

424now 6 years, 6 months ago

We entitled to feel responsible for our home town.

We are entitled to act accordingly.

BoatMaster 6 years, 6 months ago

If only that was the case, and you know it isn't

Neil O'Keeffe 6 years, 6 months ago

I'm a bit surprised at Petes stand, but then I realized that the Tripple Crowners make up 50+% of his tube rental business. It's economics stupid, in spite of how it effects a few unfortunate residents on Pamela Lane. As far as I'm concerned a promise is a promise regardles of whether it was documented or not. There are plenty of witnesses to the promise without it having to be documented. Sorry Pete you are letting $$$ get in the way of your usual commitment to community. TAKE IT TO A VOTE!!! Believe!

fish 6 years, 6 months ago

I keep hearing that it is just 12 days that they want to use the Emerald Park fields. What 12 days are they talking about? Is this 2 days each weekend for 6 weeks is it 12 days in a row?

justathought 6 years, 6 months ago

oldskool, if speeding and other conduct really is the issue then by all means charge to park but use the money to pay for a few off duty police officers to control the event. I just don't believe paying the residents will solve anything except how loudly they complain.

oldskoolstmbt 6 years, 6 months ago

justa- i like that idea as well...and i would think/hope that is the real issue for those residents?!

424now 6 years, 6 months ago

BoatMaster,

Ahh but it could be.

It takes using the same tactics that the media does. We can propose a course of action. Repeat it often and defend it vehemently. Eventually the resolve of the audience is eroded and we now have a group of people who agree with the proposition.

STEMBOATwannabe 6 years, 6 months ago

If traffic is the problem for use of Emerald, then TC should foot the bill to have security monitoring access to the street, off site shuttles to get people to the games, Clean up crews to make sure the fields are free of trash at the end of the day, etc...

If TC has the capabilites to increase the amount of teams that come into Steamboat, then they might have to spend some money to make the tournament run more smoothly. It is TC's tournament. They are the host. They use the facilities in the Steamboat area. You can't run a tournament of this size without a staff. TC may need to add some members to it's staff to guide their participants in the usage of facilities in Steamboat.

Require security at the end of the street to inform non-residents that they need to park in an off site lot and take a shuttle bus to Emerald Park. TC would have to make it known that players would have to arrive early at the off site lot in order to take the shuttle to the field. It is just being prepared ahead of time and then this should not be such an issue. It is just 12 days! Get over it.

elkeye 6 years, 6 months ago

fish,

"Triple Crown has requested the use of Emerald Park from 8 a.m. to 2 p.m. four days a week for a three-week period in 2009 and 2010."

THUR, FRI, SAT and SUN for three consecutive weekends!

City Council should just say NO.

contrarian 6 years, 6 months ago

elkeye: Try again. You got 1 of the 4 days correct. Try the search function in the upper right and check any of the numerous articles reporting the requested days. Or--just continue to make up "facts" to fit your bias.

fish 6 years, 6 months ago

Well I am not sure of what days of the week Triple Crown is requesting to use the field but 4-days a week for a 3-week period seems like quite a long time to me given the length of the summer season in Routt County. If you have a 12-week summer vacation when school is not in session, that would be approximately 1/4 of the summer break. To me that does not seem like just a few days. I am sure someone will tell me how wrong I am but it seems like quite a period of time to me.

Oh well, it is time locals faced the fact that City Council and Chamber of Commerce really doesn't care about the locals and their brats. What they care about is where the bucks are coming from to build bigger and better.

I find it funny that some keep saying that we don't want to be another Aspen or Vail but that is exactly what some are chasing.

elkeye 6 years, 6 months ago

Correction!

"Triple Crown would be permitted to schedule youth baseball and softball games at Emerald Park from 8 a.m. to 2 p.m. Mondays, Tuesdays, Wednesdays and Fridays for a three-week period."

Contrarian"...thanks for pointing out the error.

However, it does not change the basic premise. Still 4 days per week for a three-week period.

contrarian 6 years, 6 months ago

elkeye I'm with you. It's just the worst thing I've ever heard of. It would be better to get rid of as many tourists as possible as we head into a recession. We can make up for the lost revenue by raising property taxes on the locals who live here. That seems better to me.

BoatMaster 6 years, 6 months ago

I agree with contrarian.

I think it would be great for us all to increase our property taxes and get rid of all the tourists so we can enjoy the town to ourselves.

Lets all show council we mean business about this!! Everyone mail in $2000.00 to apply towards the increase. That will get their attention.

Anyone know the address to send it to? I'll mail mine today.

MtnWarlock 6 years, 6 months ago

BoatMaster, Could you send my share in too? I already give enough. Thanks!

All, The golden rule is: He, who has the gold, makes the rule! TC is here to stay. Our Business community will not let go because, they are the major influence of the city council. Unless there is a huge uprising of locals to protest city hall, this is going to be ran like all the other things in Steamboat are, politically! Our interests will not matter! We little guys just have to deal or move! Like it? No! Dealing? Yes, mostly! Doing something about it? Trying however, not in these blogs. These posts have been pretty good though! Have a good one!

outtathere 6 years, 5 months ago

Their threat of "give us what we want or we'll leave", should be taken seriously. Look at us. We contributed for over 35 years to the economy, community services, boards, volunteered hundreds of hours for various community betterments and since we couldn't get what we wanted, and actively worked toward, (no more Triple Crown traffic congestion with accompanying visitor rudeness, and the continuing visual blight of oversized SUVs with custom painted windows) we left. Sorry to see 'er go. Last one outta Steamboat please turn out the lights. Wake up locals... it's still your town. But for us, we're outtathere.