The Record for April 17

Thursday, April 17

5:49 a.m. Police assisted a motorist in the 1200 block of Lincoln Avenue.

6:30 a.m. A man reported receiving a threatening voicemail in Steamboat Springs. He declined to make a report with the Routt County Sheriff's Office.

7:43 a.m. A Steamboat Springs man was arrested on an outstanding warrant in the 100 block of 11th Street.

10:26 a.m. A two-vehicle, hit-and-run accident was reported in the 2400 block of Lincoln Avenue. There were no injuries. Police took a report.

12:08 p.m. A fire alarm went off in the 3200 block of AprÃs Ski Way. Everything was fine.

1:33 p.m. A noise complaint was received at Saratoga Avenue and Gilpin Street. Police gave a warning.

2:30 p.m. A sex offender registered at the Sheriff's Office.

3:17 p.m. A dog reportedly was chasing birds near Steamboat II. The animal was picked up and taken the shelter.

4:10 p.m. Sheriff's Office deputies performed a welfare check on horses in the 39800 block of Routt County Road 52 near Hayden. The horses were fine.

4:33 p.m. A possible fire was reported in the 29900 block of East U.S. Highway 40, where smoke could be seen from the road. Everything was fine.

5:18 p.m. A possibly suicidal woman was reported in Steamboat Springs. Police took a report.

5:18 p.m. A Steamboat Springs man was arrested on an outstanding contempt of court warrant.

7:12 p.m. A reckless driver was reported in the 3300 block of AprÃs Ski Way. A Steamboat Springs man was arrested on suspicion of driving under the influence.

10:36 p.m. A noise complaint was received from the 1000 block of Saratoga Avenue. Police gave a warning.

10:48 p.m. A possibly drunken driver was reported at C.R. 20 and Colorado Highway 131. The driver was not intoxicated. Sheriff's Office deputies gave a warning.

Comments

rockie29 6 years, 5 months ago

Wow, I can't believe someone would call the police to report a dog chasing birds! What kind of bird was it? It didn't sound like a pet bird to me. When police are sent to reports like this, I would like to question the sanity of the person who filed the report. Police are wasting their time with ridicolous calls like this when they should be catching criminals or as they say in Steamboat 'suspicious people' whatever that means. The poor dog is arrested and handcuffed and sent to doggie prison or the animal shelter, and if police had to round up every dog in town that did this they would run out of room to put the dogs in the shelters.

grannyrett 6 years, 5 months ago

6:30---A man receives a threatening voice mail, calls the police, but won't make a report? What the heck did he call the cops for? What an idiot!

80488mom 6 years, 5 months ago

Takes all kinds. The police blotter has become a Steamboat staple and a source of amusement for years. Thank God we live here and aren't reading daily stories of drive by shootings and murders. I read about a blog a reporter was doing in LA on each and every murder in the city. Hundreds and hundreds. She felt the victims deserved to be recognized. Seems there are so many murders the local paper can't even report them.

Brant McLaughlin 6 years, 5 months ago

Hey the ducks got arrested last fall. Now it's the dogs turn. :)

rockie29 6 years, 5 months ago

Makes me think the bird was an ostrich or an eagle possibly now when I think about it.

nightbird 6 years, 5 months ago

I can only imagine that the dog chasing birds was a "bird-dog". What is this town coming to? What is next? Labrador Retrievers chasing sticks or worse yet tennis balls. This community is going to the dogs one paw at a time.

MtnWarlock 6 years, 5 months ago

Well, I am just wondering if the dog was a Springer or a Lab. It is natural for those dogs to chase birds. Maybe in doggie court, the birds will file a harassment charge against the pooch, for badgering him and his feathered friends! The judge could then impose community service for the jailed pooch and order him to help walk older folks across the street and pull their groceries in a wagon. LOL! As for the threatening phone calls, it just goes' to show you what kind of stupidity our boys and gals in blue have to deal with on a day to day basis as well. That police report must be interesting to read! Have a good day!

MtnWarlock 6 years, 5 months ago

80488mom, How true you are. It is a good thing we read the record with a twist of light and laughter once in a while. Not many communities can boast that and that is a sad fact. That is why I moved here 25 years ago! Things here have changed a lot, in my time here. The record is now longer on a daily basis. Years ago, it was one column, once a week!

justathought 6 years, 5 months ago

I never did find out what happened to them ducks, trial or plea bargain?

thecondoguy1 6 years, 5 months ago

The ducks were released to the custody of the dog, there was a court ouder for them to "just get along". So far everything seems to be going doggone ducky........... mom, I had a house in LA for a few years, the murders were reported by volume on Monday morning, no names mentioned, it was nothing for there to be 40 murders over the weekend, I sold that house as fast as I could.........

housepoor 6 years, 5 months ago

people making stupid calls like this should be charged for mileage and the officers time....

80488mom 6 years, 5 months ago

I know our small town is changing and there have been times I've thought how nice it would be to get away from all the congestion, construction and migration of big city folks but I still love this place. There's no place like home. My son is grown and now in the military. He loves to come home to a place where people know his name and he knows theirs. This will always be his home. Thinking I'm gonna keep it that way. I just pray to God the day never comes when our police blotter reads like a big city blog. I like reading about those ornery little kids throwing snowballs at cars. Much preferred to one that reads about them killing one another.

thecondoguy1 6 years, 5 months ago

amen mom, and again, God bless your son, and our thanks to him for protecting us from the bad guys...................

h2o 6 years, 5 months ago

Oh no, a dog was chasing birds! We better report that to the police so they can arrest the dog and save those birds. Whew! that was a close one. Good job my fellow alert citizen and thank god the pilot posted this or how could we possibly make it through another day in this madness we call a community?

outsiderlookingin 6 years, 5 months ago

Possibly suicidal woman and a report was taken? What kind of report--a suicide note? or do they plan on taking a follow up report on a toe Tag!!!

80488mom 6 years, 5 months ago

Thank you condo guy. Glad you got out of there.

seeuski 6 years, 5 months ago

80488mom, Your son is a great American and you are a great Mom. Thanks to both of you.

justathought 6 years, 5 months ago

80488mom, Please tell your son he is appreciated by most, in the prayers of many, and I wish him Godspeed.

80488mom 6 years, 5 months ago

Thank you very much. I will pass that on. I know he will appreciate it. The world is a very hostile place and that was recently brought home. My other son was in Egypt yesterday and was asked to leave the market.....why? Because he was an American and it was made clear he wasn't welcome and why. So no souvenirs from that leg of his trip. The other son is overseas right now too and they don't travel in uniform. No military photo on passport either. He finished classes in hand to hand combat because of the hostility towards American servicemen/women abroad. Guess you aren't really safe even when visiting any foreign country particularly if you are military. He'll be spending his summer in Quatar. Really had hoped for a visit but he volunteered so I didn't say anything but "I'm happy for you and I'm proud." Then I hung up and cried because I'm so selfish I just wanted to see him.

seeuski 6 years, 5 months ago

And as far as that trouble maker dog is concerned I think it is boredom since the mountain closed early. What else does he have to do but chase chicks, um birds.