Allison Miriani: We're a dog town

photo

At Home in Steamboat Springs Editor Allison Miriani

When planning the stories for our spring edition of At Home in Steamboat Springs magazine, a feature about dogs quickly shot to the top of our list. It's nothing shocking - Steamboat Springs is a dog town.

When I moved to Steamboat in 2003, a colleague joked that true locals have three things: a Subaru, a ski rack and a dog. Dave Shively's story sums it up - we're a dog-gone ski town.

At first, we weren't sure how big of a dog piece we could do. Sure, we love our furry friends, but is there really enough in Steamboat to interest our readers? When we sat down to brainstorm who to interview, the list came together quickly - and went on and on.

Spiffy Dog has offices here, and there is a new bakery devoted to dogs (snag a recipe on page 116). The Heeling Friends and R.E.A.D. programs use animals to cheer up sick patients and help children gain confidence in their reading skills, respectively.

We found Diana Childs, a woman who rescues border collies, and talked to Frank Cefaratti, who has organized off-leash playtimes in parks across town for dogs.

Our gear guide even took on a dog theme when Pete Van De Carr at Backdoor Sports and Dave Terranova at Paws 'N Claws 'N Things introduced us to the amazing gear available for mountain pooches.

Of course, we had no shortage of models for the story. My dog, Dax, and co-editor Brent Boyer's dog, Nilla, make cameos on page 119. Photographer John F. Russell may not have had the easiest time getting these subjects to pose, but the personality they brought to the photo shoots certainly comes out in his work.

But dogs aren't the only feature in this issue.

Starting on page 53 you'll find the first Wedding Guide insert, which previously had published annually inside the Steamboat Pilot & Today. Focusing on weddings gave Shively, our new magazine writer, the opportunity to get in touch with his romantic side. Shively talked to Katie and Benny Tollar, who executed the ideal Steamboat wedding.

From the ceremony outside a ranch, to riding up the gondola, to a reception at Steamboat Ski Area, Shively takes readers behind the scenes of the wedding and provides ideas for those planning their own special day.

Also featuring stories about the 28th annual Hot Air Balloon Rodeo, Strings in the Mountains' new pavilion and homes that were made to entertain, we hope this issue gets you excited to be in Steamboat Springs this spring.

- Allison Miriani

Comments

JazzSlave 6 years, 8 months ago

stmbtprof:

If I find Spot on my property, you'll get to make a trip to Critter Court & bail him out of doggie jail.

Clean up your own dogs&*t, don't let him run loose, and I won't whine.

Deal?

summerbird 6 years, 8 months ago

You know the town has gone to the dogs when people buy space in the phone book for their dog's picture!

handyman 6 years, 8 months ago

I love dogs (and cats, too) and enjoy them when I get the chance. Unfortunately, I don't enjoy seeing what my yard looks like now that the snow is melting. In Old Town, there are a lot of people who think that the leash law doesn't apply to them. These irresponsible people kinda tarnish the town's image of responsible dog ownership. I like Frank's idea of open running times at specific locations. I always feel sorry for the dogs that are stuck in a house or small back yard all day. It's not fair to the dog.
I have a Subaru, but no ski rack and no dog. Guess I'm not a true Steamboater.

STEMBOATwannabe 6 years, 8 months ago

I don't have a dog I actually like dogs... Just never got another one after mine passed away.

I don't mind friendly dogs. I hate stepping on dog poop I hate finding it in my lawn, on the sidewalk or near the trail.

It is just one of those things you don't want to go back to once you are passed that stage of life. Much like babies and toilet training. When it's done you are grateful.

HawaiianEye 6 years, 8 months ago

Clean up after your dog and please use the leash! I walk on the core trail just about every day and its disgusting with all the dog feces. Just about all the dogs I see on the trail are not on leashes, most folks have a leash but its not attached to their dog. I live a bit south of town and the subdivision has sizable lots, and most dog owners and renters let their dogs run free, and not being a dog owner anymore my yard has become the canine dumping ground, not to mention the garbage cans ripped into on garbage day. Dog town USA.........

JazzSlave 6 years, 8 months ago

Before I moved out to the county a couple years ago, we all banded together in our neighborhood to deal with irresponsible owners: we detained any dog at large for retrieval by animal control.

We found that it was helpful to follow up with a call to AC and make sure the owner would be fined - we learned that the penalty was frequently waived for 1st time offenders. At that time, it was $25, $50, & $75 for 1st, 2nd, & 3rd infractions. 4th offense lands the owner in court.

We were pretty militant about it, and the dog at large problem disappeared in about a month, along with the unwanted souvineers on our lawns.

There's only 1 or 2 people at AC, and they're underfunded. They can help, but residents need to help with some of the heavy lifting.

animalfarm 6 years, 8 months ago

Apparently all of the dog lovers are outside enjoying the sunshine and life. All that's left are the lonely whiners and their computers.

kkcmsw 6 years, 8 months ago

I love dogs....I don't have one, and I agree with people in their observations of dog poop all over town. I was surprised to find that living in a town- home area, tons of people had dogs, no backyard, and BIG dogs. A lot of the owners were great and walked their dogs a few times a day but other just set them free and did not bother to clean up after them. For me, it was disappointing to see so many irresponsible people who should not have even had such large dogs which need larger areas to exercise like a fenced yard, and that they could not even clean up after them. The reason I do not currently have a dog is that I choose to wait until I am really ready to take on the responsibilities that comes with having a dog. I choose not to have one just because it's the "trendy" thing to do. So please, clean up after your dogs!

BoatMaster 6 years, 8 months ago

Dogs are great......Some dog owners are not.

Please pick up the poop so that us with dogs can continue to keep them.

stmbtprof 6 years, 8 months ago

dog people have lives and are out being healthy...what a bunch of whiners Dog is god spelled backwards and that is my religion

fish 6 years, 8 months ago

I am sick and tired of the so called dog lovers feeling that it is their god given right to bring Fido anywhere and everywhere with them.

I am tired of going to the 4th of July parade and having Fido shove his nose in my or my wifes crotch when you walk past us and then you having the nerve to tell me that he is just being friendly.

I am tired of walking on any trail in the area and having do dodge the piles of dog crap that you don't feel an obligation to clean up.

I am tired of you believing that it is your god given right to allow your dog to run off leash because you are to lazy to keep up with their exercise needs.

Oh and I am just whining, I wonder if you feel that that is worse then your self absorbed selfish attitude, and total disregard for the safety of your so called "best friend" and others. And yes I have a dog.

summerbird 6 years, 8 months ago

Fish: Couldn't have said it better myself.

My worst experience: Decending that very narrow part of the Fish Creek Falls trail and a couple with a snarling dog confronting your going up. How flat can I plaster myself against the rock and give them the right of way. It sort of spoiled my commune with nature. Of course, the people didn't see a problem.

corduroy 6 years, 8 months ago

Jazz: you sound like a neighbor I'd never like to live near. Instead of confronting your neighbors with a concern, you get them into trouble. Someday it will come back on you

telebikebird 6 years, 8 months ago

Must be Mud Season. Doesn't anybody have anything better to do than fight about dogs?? Outside and off this forum I go...

JazzSlave 6 years, 8 months ago

corduroy:

Back atcha. And for the record, it would have been me and 8 or 9 of the other dog owners in the neighborhood you wouldn't have wanted to be neighbors with. If we saw someone not cleaning up after their dog, we confronted them - civilly and politely.

If you kick your dog out the front door & let him run loose, it ain't my responsibility to track you down. It's your responsibility to supervise your dog.

Thanks for not wanting to live near me. The feeling's mutual, sport.

playa46 6 years, 8 months ago

I really don't see why people are actually debating about this. I luuuuuuuuuv dogs, however, I do not have one. But I guess that it would be a little bit better if we did clean up after our dogs. And the editor is right, most steamboateans have a Subaru, a ski rack and a dog. I guess that doesn't make me a true stmbtean. Oh well, 2/3 aint bad, right?

playa46 6 years, 8 months ago

Oh, and as for Jazzslave, watch the language buddy :)

colobob 6 years, 8 months ago

There are no such things as bad dogs, just bad dog owners!

handyman 6 years, 8 months ago

colobob - I agree. Dog's can be great. Of course, like people, some don't have friendly personalities. I have a friend who has two dogs who have the same personality that he does; the nicest man you'd ever want to meet. What does that say about the snarly, growly dogs?

jmemcse 6 years, 8 months ago

I've come to the conclusion that all dog owners in Steamboat are inconsiderate and have very low IQ's. That should make you dog owning forum readers mad, but if the shoe fits wear it.

curmudgeon 6 years, 8 months ago

Telebikebird:like duh:dis discussion ain't bout dogs:it's bout the lack there of respect of people who reside in da boat. I got dogs...yeah:and I gotta confess that I'm one of those pathetic dog luver/anthropomorphic suckers...and let me tell ya something:don't know how much I like bending over and gracing myself with yard fudge anymore:.but I do it anyways:why:cause I gots respect for others. And the leash thing:I do that too:why?...cause I know that everyone out there is not a dog luver:It's called respect. And yeah Jazzslave:you and me:like we'd be great neighbors. I remember once when I was kickin the crap out of this one dog:and the owner comes up to me and says:"quit kickin my dog" (I think the dogs name was princess):and I says back to him:"I wouldn't be a kickin your unleashed dog:if she didn't have her jaws link into the neck of my leashed dog.":know what I mean? Now when princess:with much encouragement from me:unfanged herself from my almost to be dieing dog:I really think ol princess governed me a little respect:but the dog owner leashed (no pun intended) out profusely upon me:and out of respect for princess:I felt compelled in not doing to the owner what he deserved. And:the vet bill for my dog:wow:now that's what I call money:but I just had to do something for my defenseless little dog:but good ol princess owner didn't offer up anything:not even a sorry bouts that bro. Anyways:come on people's:leash your dog:and pick up you're doggie do do.

dave reynolds 6 years, 6 months ago

so i guess if we expect you to show resposibility as a dog owner and pick up theS..t they leave behind and keep them on a lease then we are..biatchs...i had owners of dogs who let them run loose..i give them one warning..if your dog bites me or anybody in my family i will shoot it end of story.also if fido s..ts in my yard its on your step..colobob said it best their are no bad dogs just bad owners

Joe_Mama 6 years, 6 months ago

dogs poop.......they don't care where.......live with it if you want to have dogs around

dave reynolds 6 years, 6 months ago

ok then ill wipe the dog S..t off my shoes on your carpet.. in the living room so your friends can enjoy the smell sence you deem it ok they poop anywhere..i like dogs but just be responsible