Routt County Sheriff Gary Wall

Photo by Brian Ray

Routt County Sheriff Gary Wall

Wall: 'I wasn't intoxicated'

Sheriff, State Patrol keep tight-lipped about case

More on Wall

Read all stories related to Routt County Sheriff Gary Wall

— Routt County Sheriff Gary Wall reaffirmed his innocence to charges of drunken driving Monday but declined to provide any specifics about the Saturday night traffic stop that has sparked another controversy involving the county's top law enforcement officer.

Wall, who was cited by the Colorado State Patrol on Saturday for driving under the influence of alcohol, prohibitive use of a weapon and failing to dim his headlights, would not say whether he had anything to drink before heading home from the Steamboat Springs Chamber Resort Association's 100th anniversary celebration at Sidney Peak Ranch.

"I have said I didn't drink anything in excess that would have affected my ability to drive," Wall said Monday while returning to Steamboat Springs from Denver. "I certainly was not intoxicated."

Wall also said he did not take a sobriety test during the traffic stop, but he wouldn't say whether it was because he refused to do so.

State Patrol Capt. Brett Williams would not discuss the specifics of Wall's traffic stop, but he said troopers would have requested a roadside sobriety test under standard procedure.

"If there's suspicion of intoxication, then they would ask for a roadside test," Williams said.

Steamboat Springs defense attorney Kris Hammond said there is no penalty for refusing a field sobriety test, but drivers who refuse a chemical test at a hospital or jail can have their licenses revoked for up to a year. Wall said he still has his driver's license.

Wall was stopped at about 10:15 p.m. by Colorado State Patrol troopers Melissa Fowler and Brett Hilling on U.S. Highway 40. Williams said Wall was pulled over for failing to dim his headlights, and he called the incident a "routine traffic stop."

After issuing Wall a court summons, the troopers allowed the sheriff to leave with a sober driver, who was not identified.

The prohibitive use of a weapon charge was made because it is illegal to possess a weapon when under the influence of drugs or alcohol. That charge and the DUI charge are Class 1 misdemeanors that carry a minimum sentence of six months imprisonment or a $500 fine, or both. The maximum sentences are 18 months imprisonment or a $5,000 fine, or both.

"This is a serious matter," Wall said Monday. "It's a legal matter and it's not something that should be discussed in the media."

Wall said he's not trying to hide anything by refusing to talk about the incident.

"Obviously, I'm going to have an attorney," he said. "It's not that I have anything to hide, but this isn't the proper avenue. : It's just not appropriate. This thing happened, and now I'm going to deal with it."

Williams was similarly tight-lipped Monday. Citing the integrity of the ongoing investigation, Williams refused to release documents related to the case.

The Sheriff's Office has opened an internal affairs investigation to be conducted separate of the State Patrol's criminal investigation. The internal affairs investigation will seek to determine whether Wall violated Sheriff's Office policies or procedures. Sheriff's Office investigators Ken Klinger and Mike Curzon and Sgt. Miles De Young will lead the investigation.

Klinger said possible ramifications of an internal affairs investigation range from nothing to termination. However, Wall, an elected official, could not be fired.

"An elected official can only be removed involuntarily like that by a recall," said John Merrill, the county's attorney. Merrill also expressed concerns about the department's internal investigation. "I don't know how you do an internal investigation of your boss. That doesn't work too well."

Klinger dismissed such concerns.

"Believe me, the three of us are not afraid to do that," he said. "We don't use outside sources for internal affairs. Nobody does that."

More than 200 people attended the Chamber's celebration Saturday. Alcohol was served at the event.

David Cullen, who attended the event and said he and Wall are "old friends," said there was "no question" that Wall wasn't intoxicated.

"I know he wasn't drunk when I talked to him, and I didn't see him drink anything," Cullen said.

- To reach Brandon Gee, call 871-4210

or e-mail bgee@steamboatpilot.com

Comments

RoxyDad 7 years, 1 month ago

Hey

Didn't anyone get the the coment from Dundalk?

"Maybe he can use a winch for future traffic violations he might be part of"

Ha Ha

boatski 7 years, 1 month ago

Was anyone at the party and saw him drinking?

JRinstmbt 7 years, 1 month ago

Ok - " 'reality check' " is right on - hopefully this incident brings to light prior questionable incindence's relating to those affiliated with CSP spouses and employees in relation to drinking/driving infringements... Yes - those afiliated with the law are above the law.

I personally have been through the system twice - that's how many times it took me to 'change the behavior'. My hope is that those above the law 'change the behavior' before they affect someone, i.e. cause injury, or death. Gary is innocent until proven guilty.

Come on: we had a choice to vote between Roscoe P Coltrane & Barney Fife...

Benny 7 years, 1 month ago

I don't think that SPT can get the truth from those who are "old friends" of Wall. No one can, that's a given. Come on, no one saw him "drink anything"?? Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't everyone who get's a DUI keep their license for 10 days?? It might be different if you refuse, but I don't know. If someone could clarify this, that would be great.

Ms_E_Bronte 7 years, 1 month ago

Again I ask this question: Why didn't he just take the sobriety test? What is he trying to prove now? OMG, this is all so ridiculous!! Maybe we should put out the change jars and get Mr. Wall his own limo and driver.

And this man carries a gun?!?!?!?!?

dundalk 7 years, 1 month ago

Maybe he can use a winch for future traffic violations he might be part of.

gonenglad 7 years, 1 month ago

Benny....about the temporary license thing....it's up to the arresting officer whether you get a temporary license for seven (not ten) days.....but all that paperwork is done at the jail when you are arrested so who knows in his case....There is a box on the arrest form that is checked if the driver is allowed a temporary license....That 7 days is how long the driver has to call the DMV and set up their hearing......but..... a total refusal to blood and breath is an automatic revocation for one year....maybe he and the undersheriff can carpool...

dundalk 7 years, 1 month ago

"I did not consume anything that would have affected my ability to drive," Wall said Sunday when reached on his cell phone."

However, now he's singing a different tune.

"I have said I didn't drink anything in excess that would have affected my ability to drive," Wall said Monday while returning to Steamboat Springs from Denver."

So what is it Gary, or are you a little foggy about the night's events?

wzstfu 7 years, 1 month ago

By not taking a roadside sobriety test you are not admitting to anything. It is everyone's legal right to refuse to take the tests. That is why they are called voluntary. In fact, a lawyer would advise you not to take the tests. As far as losing your license goes - (I am now stating this for the third time) - You do not automatically lose your license. A hearing is conducted with the DMV to decide whether or not the officer had probable cause.

Holy cr@p JRinstmbt; did you say "innocent until proven guilty"? Obviously you haven't been reading the comments on the first article. We practically got us a lynchin' mob all fired up here in Mayberry. Innocent until proven guilty. Where the heck are you from? ;)

gonenglad 7 years, 1 month ago

ms bronte....Good for you....you obviously understand the big picture here......if he wasn't intoxicated....why not take the tests (that as a law enforcement officer, you should support)....because there is a lot more at stake than just the DUI..

SteamboatJoe 7 years, 1 month ago

Why does anyone want to run for any office in this town?

You are judged before the entire story is out. This story is embarrassing enough. It is hard to decide which is worse the story or the way Steamboat residents are reacting to it.

gonenglad 7 years, 1 month ago

wzstfu....you're right....you do have the right to refuse roadside sobriety tests.....they are voluntary....but if you do refuse them, the officer conducting the stop moves on to the next step in determining whether you are safe to drive on the streets that our children are crossing and that our wives our driving on..............he asks you....per the consent express laws that you sign when you get your drivers license...would you prefer a blood test or a breath test??...your choice... and...if you refuse either of those (and why would you if your sober?).....then you are cited for DUI.... and ...the DMV does their thing- automatic revocation for one year....and the court system does their thing, separate from DMV.........but given the current circumstances......it ain't lookin good for Wall......and it shouldn't.

gonenglad 7 years, 1 month ago

Steamboat joe....There are many good county officials that think it's a privelage.....an honor to run for office in Routt County......and they do it successfully without embarrasing themselves or the county... Gary Wall can't do either. Those that do.....respect those that voted for them.....put themselves on a higher pedestal of conduct out of respect for the voters, their families and themselves......and the job that they do make Routt County and Steamboat Springs the great place that it is......and my thanks to all of those that do it right.

gonenglad 7 years, 1 month ago

hey pat....I agree about him.....however.....there are some really good cops in Steamboat.....and the town is fortunate to have them. Don't lump all of law enforcement into the poor example that Gary Wall is.....the CSP is a fine organization that deserves praise on a daily basis for the job they do.....they are the ones that, have to respond to the fatal accidents that are caused by those that choose to drink and drive........ as long as there are people out there driving that make poor decisions.......the more we need them.......Gary Wall is not even close to being considered a law enforecement officer.....he's an embarrasement to the law enforcement profession. Most are putting their lives on the line every day. He's putting everybody elses life on the line by doing what he does.

Montana 7 years, 1 month ago

Gonenglad is exactly right and is one of only a few people who actually know the law behind a DUI arrest. I would guess that gonenglad has law enforcement experience based on his posts. Wzstfu has no idea what she/he is talking about. When you get a driver's license in Colorado, you are automatically giving your consent to either a blood or breath test. If you refuse to take either test, then the law states that your driver's license is automatically revoked for a year. Yes, there is a hearing through the Dept. of Revenue to only determine if the officer had probable cause to make the traffic stop in the first place. In the Sheriff's case, there was probable cause to make the stop (failing to dim) and the Sheriff refused to take a blood or breath test to prove he was sober. Therefore, his license is automatically revoked due to the refusal....this is Colorado law.

It would really be great if all of these posters who claim to know the law when it comes to DUI arrests would keep their mouth closed....only a few people who have posted actually know the laws they are talking about and the rest sound like morons.

Benny 7 years, 1 month ago

You should all remember that Mr. Wall is not yet recognized as a "Colorado State Certified Peace Officer" because he did not take and pass the Colorado POST test. He's only a cop because he was voted to be one. He doesn't even stand up next to our boys and girls in blue that are recognized on a state level. This poses another question: What are the POST requirements in regards to DUI offenses, Revoked Driver's Licenses, etc..... Will Mr. Wall even have a chance to take the POST test while the current charges are pending??? If he gets convicted of DUI and/or prohibited use of a weapon, will he have a chance at POST certification?? Anyone with clarification on these, please post. Thanks "gonenglad" for the last clarification.

bcpow 7 years, 1 month ago

I know some fuctioning drunks that could consume a half dozen drinks and say something like...

I used to hear things like that in college all the time. Unfortunately Mr Wall is a tool and this isn't college.

And #s, I slept fine.

wzstfu 7 years, 1 month ago

Thank you goneglad for clearing up the legal aspect. I was going on information supplied by someone currently going through a similar situation. I guess they don't know what they are talking about.

Montana - actually you sound like the moron. If you are knowledgeable on a topic then share it (as goneglad has done). Calling others names is a bit childish.

Anyway, for or against Wall - if he's guilty then he's pretty much screwed. There really isn't much to speculate there. I suppose he would have to be recalled. Before Montana calls me a moron again - I'm just guessing on the recall bit. I'm not stating any kind of fact.

I suppose he's still screwed even if he's innocent. The general consensus seems to be that he didn't have much credibility with you folks before this incident. The hole is just that much deeper now.

Oh well, sure beats the heck out of talking about the City Council elections!

gonenglad 7 years, 1 month ago

Benny.....Good question.....the DUI won't keep him out of the Academy...(if it was an older offense) .but I'm not sure about the weapons charge..... However.....if you go to the POST Academy, Law Enforcement driving is part of the curriculum.....you DO need a valid license to participate. How can you be part of a profession where driving is a part of the daily procedure.....and not have a valid license? I guess his time will run out for getting POST certified...?? Thanks for bringing up good questions.

pat6490 7 years, 1 month ago

Look the guy is done, if the community does not get rid of him asap, then you all are cowards

Benny 7 years, 1 month ago

Thanks again Gonenglad! If Mr. Wall is going to retain his position as Sheriff, these are things that need to be brought up and considered. Obviously, Mr. Wall doesn't posses the forethought that we do. We shall see how this progresses. Like I said on the other article, I hope this one doesn't get sweeped under the proverbial rug.....

gonenglad 7 years, 1 month ago

....and the potential accusations of sweeping things under the carpet are always there in politics......that is why we should all hope that an outside investigation is done.... NOT by one from the organization that is being accused of the impropriety....an internal investigation doesn't work....the little puppy that pee's on the carpet is not going to spank himself on the butt and put himself outside. Someone else needs to handle the training.

mud 7 years, 1 month ago

Hey Montana, do you also write under the name hmmm?

WZgirl 7 years, 1 month ago

Montana: If you haven't yet figured from his/her username "gonenglad" along with his/her extensive knowlege of law-enforcement that he/she worked for the SO pre or post Wall ,who is the moron here?

spukomy 7 years, 1 month ago

"The prohibitive use of a weapons charge was made because it is illegal to possess a weapon when under the influence of drugs or alcohol."

It's not hard to connect those dots. Sounds like a slam dunk to me. Sad, sad, sad.

justiceforall 7 years, 1 month ago

Ok, first off, JRinstmbt...you sir are an idiot. Two times before "changing your behavior"? Maybe you and Gary can share a forum together. I have personally been involved with the CSP and I have nothing but good things to say about their professionalism and character. They do not care who they are stopping and/or arresting. It is their job to keep our roadways safe. Please grow a brain and remove yourself from this public forum.

routtcountypride 7 years, 1 month ago

Wow, I can only say one thing...Gary Wall is a moron. Maybe the people of Routt County should have elected a trained monkey to serve as sheriff instead of Wall. The monkey probably would've realized his legal limit before driving. Not to mention his common sense probably surpassed Wall's a long time ago. Refusing everything can only mean one thing...I AM GUILTY (hence, I refused everything). If the good people of Routt County believe Gary Wall's story of "I wasn't intoxicated", then they are more gullible than I thought.

nativeofrouttcounty 7 years, 1 month ago

I would have to agree with routtcountypride, Gary Wall is an incompetent politician with a questionable background. The only reason he was elected can be attributed to a lack of options to the people of Routt County. What an excellent role model for Steamboat and Routt County...drive drunk just to turn around and deny responsibility for his actions, what a genuine class act. And to agree with justiceforall, the Colorado State Patrol based in Steamboat Springs has shown nothing but character since I have lived here (over 18 years) and they could care less what an elected official claims after being cited for DUI. They will just go about their business and probably cite him again in the future. Brett Hilling is class act and is well trained by the CSP. I am sure whatever decision he made was the proper one. Shame on you Gary Wall, you have embarrassed the people of Routt County.

skier4ever 7 years, 1 month ago

Gary Wall= in-over-his-head-politician-who-should-learn-to-drive-sober

Routt County Residents... -If a drunk driver kills somebody you love, will it matter if they are the sheriff or not? I think everybody knows the correct answer.

Ms_E_Bronte 7 years, 1 month ago

In most of the printed articles we've read about Mr. Wall over the past few months, one thing is clear -- his antiauthoritarian attitude -- this can (in a way) be a good thing resulting in needed changes. But in this case, the way Mr. Wall has gone about these "changes" seems to be combative, nonprofessional, and his defense atorneys have gotten some good press -- and actually not much good has come out of any of these endeavors. And, I've noticed he's always hiding behind these defense attorneys.

I fear for the safety of those peace officers having to deal with DUI individuals now. In my mind, all Mr. Wall has done is open up the gates further to show his disrespect for those of us who are responsible individuals and use common sense with regards to our actions.

POST certified or not, I still feel Wall should have taken the roadside sobriety test and none of this would be happening now. Again, he's digging his own grave. And yes, it's frightening that this man is allowed to carry a weapon -- innocent or guilty!!

Should have gotten Ray Birch in for Sheriff -- Hayden's gain, Routt County's loss.

CoJustice 7 years, 1 month ago

Either incompetence is epidemic at the Sheriffs office, or they just think the public is unintelligent enough to believe their tall tails.

The statement "Believe me, the three of us are not afraid to do that, We don't use outside sources for internal affairs, nobody does that".

It is not uncommon for Sheriffs offices to use outside agencies to conduct internal investigations. I recall Jefferson County Commissioners having their new elected Sheriff step down as a result of a drinking problem.

Incompetence or the greatest cover up?

Ms_E_Bronte 7 years, 1 month ago

RoxyDad -- got it! LOL!!!!!

CoJustice -- you're absolutely right -- here's some new words: impropriety -- unethical -- I also like the example goneglad posted about the puppy doing "no-no's" on the carpet and then spanking himself -- great sense of humor! But very true!

I'm only speaking for myself and it doesn't just have to do with Wall's latest caper -- no credibility on the part of this individual -- but, he'll hide again behind his defense attorneys.

Driving a County vehicle, drinking alcohol, carrying a weapon, attending a Steamboat Chamber function in the County -- again I ask -- who's paying for his defense? Seems like his attorneys are raking in the $$ since STEAMBOAT elected him. Also, since no one can prove just how much Wall drank, and by his latest admission he was drinking (and then driving), will there be any repercussions against the Chamber for possibly over serving?

And, why was an on-duty deputy with him? Body guard? Or to protect Wall from himself?

Should have insisted on taking the roadside test.

See how this can escallate?!

id04sp 7 years, 1 month ago

Okay, let's look at this again.

Sheriff Wall was not taken in for a test. The CSP let him go. Without a blood alcohol level, there is no evidence to convict him.

The level is .05 for DWAI. "Zero" is not required.

So, how did this get into the news? Did the CSP "leak" it? Sounds like there may be some "getting even" going on by the CSP.

The local cops have been known to sit outside a bar and wait for a specific person to come out, get into their vehicle, and drive away. It never happened to me, but it happened to somebody who worked for me. The guy did drive drunk, and he did deserve what he got, but the cops also set out to target HIM when they spotted his vehicle parked in front of the VFW.

I would not be surprised to find out that the CSP followed Sheriff Wall and waited for him to commit an "infraction" in the hope he would be found DUI. If we knew the whole truth, I'm betting we'd find a political motivation for this entire incident.

I sure wish the f#####@ law enforcement agencies would concentrate on enforcing the laws in this state instead of all this B.S. The fact that we have a "special unit" to enforce "all laws" SCREAMS of waste and incompetence.

So, he wasn't intoxicated, and he wan't taken in for a blood alcohol test, so there is no proof of guilt. What are they going to charge him with? What DA would waste the resources on this case?

I do, however, think he should issue a public apology for failing to dim his lights . . . .

kingsride 7 years, 1 month ago

de-ni-al noun; An unconscious defense mechanism characterized by refusal to acknowledge painful realities, thoughts, or feelings.

Benny 7 years, 1 month ago

04: you bring up good points, however, the blood alcohol level is not the only evidence that is needed in a DUI case. Refusing the tests doesn't mean innocence is guarranteed. Bret Hilling is the DRE expert for troop 4B and it doesn't take an expert to tell when someone is drunk. And I assume there were people at the party who could testify to how much alcohol Wall drank and not people who are old friends of his, because that would be a biased witness. Records are subject to subpoena also, like Wall's credit card transactions that night which might show how many drinks he purchased. Also, he's already admitted to consuming alcohol, it's just a question of how much. The prohibited use of a weapon charge will stick, he won't get off that easily by refusing.

JQPUBLIC 7 years, 1 month ago

It doesn't matter if the stop was politically motivated or if there was a conspiracy to catch him, what does matter is that the highest ranking county law enforcement officer cannot refrain from drinking and driving; while carrying a weapon yet. Were this just a patrolman, he would have been fired by now. One expects their sheriff to be smart enough to leave his weapon at the office and arrange for a ride if attending an event where he would be consuming alcohol, even if it's just one drink. Wall has shown some very bad judgment here and deserved to get caught.

ColoradoNative 7 years, 1 month ago

Wall "I wasn't intoxicated".........

What is that next saying that cops like to tell us? Oh yeah..."TELL IT TO THE JUDGE!!!"

I've been asked to do a roadside sobriety test before and passed with flying colors. If Wall had nothing to hide he gladly would have done it. How hard is this to understand?

stompk 7 years, 1 month ago

According to an inside scorce, Wall was on duty, and had someone pulled over, when he was arrested. The arresting officer, was not state patrol.

Sorry, can't reveal scorce. (sp?)

Can't confirm or deny, but would explain his silence.

Too bad. Seems like he was a fairly decent cop.

pat6490 7 years, 1 month ago

Once again the point is, every one writing here would have spent the weekend in jail. He went to the world series. Perhaps the proper venue of investigation would be the Colorado Attorney General.

steamboatresident 7 years, 1 month ago

This article wreaks of, "I WAS DRINKING BUT DID NOT SWALLOW!

steamboatcitizen 7 years, 1 month ago

Sounds like Wall made several bad choices and so did the officers that pulled him over by giving him special treatment.

Clearly there was suspicion that Wall might have been driving under the influence or he would not have been asked to perform the roadside test.

He has now admitted to consuming alcohol so isn't the question now about whether or not he received special treatment?

I may be wrong but I thought that if you refuse the roadside test you driver's license is immediately suspended and the officer that pulled you over makes a decision about whether or not to arrest for DUI or DWAI. I didn't know that having a "sober driver" take you home was an option.

There may not be any "evidence" that Wall's blood alcohol was above the limit becasue he was "smart" enough to refuse the test but clearly there was some special treatment given to our Sheriff.

His actions clearly indiciate that he believes he is above the law because of his position.

It certainly is going to be hard for him to continue in his position without a driver's license or a gun,isn't it?

housepoor 7 years, 1 month ago

If he was given a DUI citation I still can't figure out why he was not arrested if no breath or blood test was given. I really thought the only options were: Innocent and let go. breath or blood test then released pending the results. or refuse and go to jail????

justathought 7 years, 1 month ago

I feel sorry for the officer they called to take him home, he is really in a precarious position if he values his job. A witness for the defense or the prosecution? Alcoholics have a high level of tolerance for liquor, they may seem sober (to old friends) but their judgment is still impaired, if all of the comments about him holding up bars are true, this could be the problem. The statements about it being a public function while on duty makes me believe the citizens will be picking up the attorney bill on this one too. The commissioners should call the state attorney for advice on the internal investigation, they should not be allowed to police themselves, the citizens deserve better even if they did elect him.

oldskoolstmbt 7 years, 1 month ago

my teenagers thought they drove by the SCENE and said there was 2 csp and 1 or 2 sheriff/cop cars...does anyone know exactly where he was pulled over?

stompk 7 years, 1 month ago

This is a cover-up at the top levels of law enforcement in the County, and the State Patrol are even playing the "good ole boy" game.

Shame, shame.

Yes, hopefully "all laws" are enforced here. This is on the Felony level, not misdemenor.

We will be watching to see who covers up what.

stompk 7 years, 1 month ago

oldskool, you tell us, your kids drove by the scene.

Benny 7 years, 1 month ago

Other things to consider: Mr. Wall has said that the sheriff's office employees are allowed to use county owned vehicles for personal business so that they may respond to emergencies at any time. Considering Mr. Walls recent actions, would sheriff's office employees be able to respond to emergencies after they have been drinking alcohol?

If deputies are considered on-duty-all-the-time and must make themselves readily available for emergeny response, then musn't they refrain from alcohol use?? An emergency situation could get much more hazardous if the officers responding had a drink or two in addition to carrying all the weapons they carry. If it were my emergency that law enforcement were responding to, I wouldn't want them to have even one drink! It's not okay!

katrinkakelly 7 years, 1 month ago

"It is a scary to think that some drivers cannot understand the very simple fact that if you drink, you do not drive," said State Patrol Chief Col. Mark Trostel.

Matthew Stoddard 7 years, 1 month ago

Benny- technically, the Sheriff still isn't POST certified, meaning if he goes on calls, he is basically an observer, so I would think that negates his need to even be driving an SO vehicle privately. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong, but POST certification is necessary to make arrests in Colorado.

pat6490 7 years, 1 month ago

Just spoke with the ag s office. A citizen (that would be us) needs to petition the district court to assign a special prosecutor who then takes juristiction over the investigation and prosecution. I shall call my attorney and see if he will do it.

jmemcse 7 years, 1 month ago

This issue is nothing that 72 hours in the pillories won't cure.

whyquestion 7 years, 1 month ago

what drug was consumed prior to this evening event??????

autumnwitch 7 years, 1 month ago

Maybe this has been said before, I didn't have time to read everyone yet, but how one feels is not the law, the law is BAC-that is what determines the charge. As a law enforcement official he should know that. Just goes to prove what those of us knew before he was even voted in knew and why we didn't vote for him. Sober friends shouldn't even give someone who has been drinking the option.

CoJustice 7 years, 1 month ago

Wall is probable hoping for another plea deal, similar to the one he received in another alcohol incident that he was arrested for a couple of years ago (Casino walking home). The County Commissioners need to take some action. Self Internal Investigations don't work, and the public is not privileged to the information unless court ordered. Everyone needs to understand that this is not the first time, and he has involved a lot of other people this time. He needs to take responsibility.

dundalk 7 years, 1 month ago

Kielbasa makes a good point. Wall isn't POST certified therefore he is not legally capable of making a traffic stop and performing any type of legal stop/citation etc.

Stompk, I believe, stated that Wall was pulling someone else over. NOT TRUE. He can't.

Any good defense attorney, in the future, will be able to know introduce the "Gary Wall" defense for DUI clients or DWAI clients. I can't wait to see this stuff pulled in court.

"Sir, my client was intoxicated, and had a loaded firearm but we're going to be claiming the Gary Wall defense."

Also, Wall issues the permits for CCW in this county. He should know, better than average everyday people that it is illegal to be carrying a firearm while impaired. Oh that's right, he's not POST CERTIFIED yet. He must have forgot that little law somewhere between the chamber bar bash and the highway.

CoJustice 7 years, 1 month ago

dundalk: You crack me up.

Yes the same BG, PP and PI to get to the BS. I have seen that defense.

JQPUBLIC 7 years, 1 month ago

dundalk.... sorry, you are wrong. He is THE SHERIFF, he can do whatever he chooses, whether he is POST certified or not. If you don't believe me, just ask him! I don't think he's forgotten any laws, it's just "the law according to gary".

herman 7 years, 1 month ago

lets not forget that our esteemed head law officer has admitted to drinking that night. By admitting to that whether drunk or not he is guilty of a more serious charge of carrying a weapon under the influence of alcohol. I don't think there is any limit on how much is considered safe for carrying a weapon. Also anyone who has come forward in support of Gary is from the downtown Steamboat district, the only district that Gary Wall won during his election. Gary Wall continues to amaze me with his arogance and above the law attitude in many of his dealings at the county level. The ones who really benefit from him being is office are the lawyers

Court_Jester 7 years, 1 month ago

I'm sorry, I've been out of the loop here for awhile. Can someone bring me up to speed. are we talking about Walls or Walsh?

Matthew Stoddard 7 years, 1 month ago

Court_Jester: talkin' 'bout Gary Wallbanger!

Walsh was a drug of a different choice, if I remember correct.

jerry carlton 7 years, 1 month ago

In 2009 I think we should write in Gary Wall and John Deceventies for county commissioners. Wouldn't this be a fine county to live in with those two running the show?

thatguyinss 7 years, 1 month ago

....FAIL!

on every level

I'm surprised his drinking buddy P.S. wasn't with him.

herman 7 years, 1 month ago

Dr. D and Gary - I thought of this earlier. That would be the ticket.

Ms_E_Bronte 7 years, 1 month ago

herman -- "The only ones who really benefit from him being in office are the lawyers" -- at last someone else is catching on to what I've been saying -- and at our, the taxpayer's, expense!!! Not out of Wall's pocket. No wonder these Steamboat attorneys pushed so hard to get him elected!! They need a guaranteed, steady income!! Circle's getting bigger ...

Just watched FOX Channel 31 -- some of Wall's buddies swore Wall wasn't drinking ... Wall says he WAS drinking ... who ya gonna believe, Wall or his buddies? Better get their stories straight don't 'cha think?

SteamboatsSinking 7 years, 1 month ago

Applause to the Steamboat Pilot for sparking another community bashing event!

I think everybody needs to sit back and let the prosecutor's office do their job. If the same people who sentenced Jail Time to garbage pickers during the rainbow festival let the Sherriff of our county go unpunished for driving while intoxicated... then we'll have a real topic to discuss.

Matthew Stoddard 7 years, 1 month ago

DJK- Not dimming your lights to oncoming traffic is one of the signs that give an officer probable cause for a roadside. It's happened to me, about a month after I had stopped drinking, driving a friend home after work.

Not dimming your lights is only one of the signs. Weaving, erratic speed fluctuations, etc. Another is if the officer pulls you over for whatever cause and happens to smell any hint of alcohol, whether directly from the driver or from the passengers.

colobob 7 years, 1 month ago

Dear Ms, Point taken and your opinion well respected. The sticking point for me is one's Constitutional Rights, no more, no less. One thing is certain, it will prove to be interesting and no matter wich way it goes it will most certainly spark further debate. Have a great day!

colobob 7 years, 1 month ago

OK here's my $.02. So the man isn't well liked but who here actually knows if he was intoxicated or if fact even drinking? I don't know, I wasn't there and I see no indication from anyone here that they in fact were present either. The stop was made and the summons was issued and now an investigation will take place. It can no longer just be swept under the rug. The time for that to be done was when the stop was first made and that didn't happen. The truth will eventually come out, but doesn't the man at least deserve his day in court before being convicted. I'm not sticking up for the man any more or any less than I would for any of you if you were in the same situation. This is still America people. It used to be that you were innocent until proven guilty not gulity until proven innocent. I'm wondering when that all changed. Who among us would want anything less then the opportunity and the right to defend ourselves in court if it were one of us. Why not let the legal system take its course. That's what it's there for. Whether you like him or not, whether he's guilty or innocent, he still has the same rights as guarenteed him by the Constitution that we have. The legal system doesn't always get it right but without it we're no better than the likes of Adolph Hitler or Saddam Hussein. I'll wait and see how it all turns out before passing judgement. Some of the comments here remind me of the Salem Witch Trials. That's my $.02 and regardless of how much flak I get for stating it I will neither rescend or debate it! Happy Holloween everyone.

Ms_E_Bronte 7 years, 1 month ago

colobob -- you've made some strong valid points. However, whether you like or dislike Wall, I sincerely feel he betrayed the public's trust and is taking his constitutional rights in the wrong direction. To now hide behind attorneys at the cost of the taxpayers and not stepping up to the plate and accepting accountability/responsibility for his alleged lack of judgment shows me he has no integrity. I would feel this way if it were Garrett Wiggins or any other elected official.

kusellout 7 years, 1 month ago

"I did not have sex with that woman, Miss Lewinsky"

canudigit 7 years, 1 month ago

Wall should have been treated just like every other citizen in this county if the CSP was doing their job. Unfortunatley, I know of a couple of other incidences where "Friends and Family" of CSP were give special treatment. Fine if you were going a little over the speed limit but NOT OK if you are 2 or 3 times the legal limit and CRASH your vehicle. What would these posts be saying if he actually hit someone or something? While we may not know all the details I hope that there is some way he can be punished for his choices. If the same thing happened to any of us, we would have spent the night in jail.

Maybe he will eventually loose his license then what? Will the taxpayers have to foot the bill for Alpine Taxi to drive him around or for a private chauffer? I am sure that in "Gary's World" that would be acceptable use of taxpayer's money!