Supplemental budget OK'd

School Board discovers unexpected revenues will help

A windfall of unanticipated revenues led to the Steamboat Springs School Board approving a supplemental budget Monday night.

"When we set the budget in October, there are certain things that may or may not happen during the year," said Dale Mellor, the district's director of finance. "In some cases, we go over the final budget that we adopt in October and I (later) state all the actual appropriated additional money to cover that overage."

The district had unexpected nutritional services expenditures, as well as extra salaries for Gifted and Talented teachers and health teachers.

"We were told we were going to get $10,000 from the state for (gifted and talented salaries and health salaries)," he said. "We budgeted for $10,000, and it came in a good bit higher than that at $31,000."

The School Board also approved additional funds for the district's nutritional services department.

"On the nutritional services budget, we blew it," he said. "We didn't budget enough. Our costs were way over budget."

Mellor said the cost of food and transporting it to Steamboat was more expensive than the district had anticipated.

"Food costs itself was also more expensive," he said.

The School Board approved a revised budget of $92,000, an increase of $53,000, for nutritional services.

"The current budget this year anticipates similar high costs," Superintendent Sandra Smyser said.

"I heard from our food services director that food commodities are going to double," Mellor said. "But we may not have it doubled in our budget."

Because of an unexpected increase in funds generated from property taxes, the board approved additional interest payments on the district's general obligation bonds.

The board also approved an increase of expenditures of the Capital Projects Fund because of the passage of general obligation bonds for the payment of capital building expenses.

To help ensure the district avoids having to pay for cost overages, Mellor said he is going to be more "vigilant" in reviewing monthly expense reports.

"I can head these things off before we have a problem," he said. "I'm going to sit down with directors on a monthly basis to go over their budgets with them."

Board member Jerry Kozach asked Mellor whether it was normal to spend money on cost overruns before the board approves the supplemental budget.

"There isn't a normal thing," Mellor said. "What I tend to do is wait until then end of the year so that I don't have to come forward every month with another supplemental budget. I pool it all at the end of the year so you have four (supplemental budgets) instead of 50."

- To reach Mike McCollum, call 871-4208

or e-mail mmccollum@steamboatpilot.com

Comments

Matthew Stoddard 6 years, 6 months ago

No, I found out just before I left on vacation who PSent is. Not sure if she was reallocal, but I doubt it. Knowing who she is now, I find it even more sad. That's why I let PSent ramble with nonsense now. It shows the Board did something right.

dimwitiguess 6 years, 6 months ago

PS, 4:08 a.m. and at it again. What an idiot. You just rewrote the entire article and did your little rant for the morning? broken record. Blah, blah, blah. blah.blah.blah. blah.

steamboatsconscience 6 years, 6 months ago

Hey PS you wouldn't be reallocal back from the dead would you? Same MO, ranting and raving at all hours of the night, especially at the School Board. Fess up

elkwatch 6 years, 6 months ago

No one should be allowed to make this big a fool of themselves.

id04sp 6 years, 6 months ago

Sometimes the people who make a scene like this have a legitimate complaint, and the detractors try to act all sensible and stuff . . . as all lawyers are taught to deny guilt, no matter the evidence before them.

Or, sometimes it's like that lady that lost the zoning battle, whose only real loss was the legal fees she cost herself by not realizing that you can't fight a corrupted system from within.

The only thing the local BOE and School Board need are some out-of-the-closet clowns who actually INTEND to look rediculous for our entertainment.

Matthew Stoddard 6 years, 6 months ago

ID- PSent hasn't got any complaints. She's already said this is her "experiment" in watching others attack her. This is why none of the posts by her have much to do with the article itself. In fact, Dr. D's name invariably comes up in stories that don't pertain to the BOE directly...until PSent brings it up.

Until I found out better, I almost thought PSent was another of your identities, ID. I figured you were doing the "made a bet that I could get a thread count to 100 without directly answering a specific post" type of thing again. Now that I know who she is, I can only thank the BOE.

CommonSense 6 years, 6 months ago

Matt, are you saying that "Hell hath no fury like a woman scorned"? Could SHE really be PSent????

Matthew Stoddard 6 years, 6 months ago

CommonSense- Heh! I'm sure that since D signed his name to his emails, PSent would at least have the "balls" to do the same to her posts, being the "ethical doctor". Now, I know why she won't.

Look at the signs PSent gives- the uninspired online handle, the times of the posts usually made, the "I recited the Hippocratic Oath" BS, the sign-up date of the handle in conjuction with other web-based info I found...and a little birdie. LOL! You can come to your own conclusions. The little birdie confirmed my findings, though.

CommonSense 6 years, 6 months ago

OMG--I see why you said the board made the right decision. I agree. She is a very sick lady.

elkwatch 6 years, 6 months ago

What?! Matt I assume you info is rock solid?? That is unbelievable, sad, and quite creepy. Looking back at some of Principallysent's comments with that in mind puts it in a different light. I guess I owe an apology to reallocal. The similarities were there. Well, yeah, thank goodness the board did as they did. Again, Matt, you are sure?? Pilot, is that a story or what?

CommonSense 6 years, 6 months ago

PS gives plentiful advice on ethics and appropriate behavior. Did this come from her personal pattern of actions? I DON'T THINK SO. "When we asked the boe if they had scruples, they said "Yes."If you don't play the scruples game well according to their rules, they will vote you off the team." (10/18) Deservedly so, PS. "This school board need someone to build a compass for them, to set a foundation of standards of conduct and a base of ethics and principals where they understand that they are to be held accountable for their choices." (8/21) Board: "As a board, we have experienced a loss of confidence in your leadership. As a district, we have suffered embarrassment." PS: "--Are you kidding me with this?" (8/26) Written by PS, but who should be listening?: "Someone needs to: (a)stop double dipping in the b kool-aid bowl (b)repair your moral compass (c)Break the pack mentality behavior (d)Stop mirroring individuals that act inappropriately (e)Learn how to be a role model (f)Get that much needed heart transplant surgery" (10/22)

How about the enthusiastic endorsement of board candidates: "I am pleased to hear that Lisa Brown, Laura Anderson and Robin Crossan didn't expose themselves to the boe toxins." (10/11/07) "Anderson and Brown can be the bright light to lead you on the right path. They can carry the torch and lead our youth to victory." (10/17) "Good luck Lisa, Laura and Robin! You are true pack leaders!" (10/18) To my mind, what we don't need is mindless running with the pack. Good luck Jerry and Char! Get the district back on track.

How about PS as a glass house dweller throwing stones at others-"Why don't you ask Dr. D to write your prescription? I heard he has some writing skills. No worries, he didn't take the Hippocratic Oath as I did. So, he is exempted from the code of ethics, principles and standards evidently. There is no liability on his part. I do love behavioral studies!!!" Looks like you have some writing skills of your own, PS, and you have published these as you did the others.

As for hoping for a story on this from the Pilot, I DON'T THINK SO. Here are PS's groupie quotes on that topic "I totally concur Pilot! What an articulate and intelligent argument you make. Well said!!!(10/10) I must commend the Pilot Staff on their tolerance for this daily dose of criticism they have to take from their critics. It is great you can walk away unscathed from being repeatedly side-swiped by your critics. ...Pilot staff-Talk sense to a fool and he/she calls you foolish. Euripides (484 BC - 406 BC), The Bacchae, circa 407 B.C. Everyone is entitled to be stupid, but some abuse the privilege more than others." (10/11)

JQPUBLIC 6 years, 6 months ago

Matt, you and I very seldom agree on issues but I guess I need to go back and reread some of your posts because I don't remember you being quite so nasty when accusing people of being who you think they are. elkwatch asked if this is rock solid info, is it and can you prove it or are you just taking the little birdies word for it? For that matter, why are you so hell bent on exposing anonymous users are you trying to take away their rights? I find myself defending someone that I have never met because I believe everyone has the right to remain anonymous if they so choose (I know you don't). This isn't a life or death forum but it could be very devastating for someone being accused of something they didn't do. When you hold an elected office you are open to just about anything anyone wants to say about you, people in office know that going in but in all fairness (if Psent is who you think it is) she isn't and wasn't in an elected position and she has a right to her opinion and anonymity. That is why people want to remain anonymous, you are attacking them for who they are, not the opinion.

CommonSense 6 years, 6 months ago

Matt-I see what you mean in previous PS quotes:

Even though PrincipallySent rants about dogs, toilet topics, roadkill, etc, she sets herself up as a "Dr" .who acts responsibly. I DON'T THINK SO. "Is there a dr with ethics in the house that can check that out for them?" (10/16) and describes herself as having ethics and being well-educated and knowledgable: "I took the Hippocratic Oath. Please don't confuse it with the boe hypocrite oath. I would love to write you a prescription (meds) for your condition but that would be unethical without assessing you. I do pride myself in my profession of having a code of ethics and principles." (9/22)

As for the buy-out, PS, return the funds. Was the decision to send you on your way unwarranted? I DON'T THINK SO. "I'm certain our youth could've found a better use for the funds than the boe did. The price our youth has paid for self-deception:" (10/17) "The boe treatment plan for one alleged rat with toxins should not have been a costly buyout." (10/11) "When we asked the boe if they had scruples, they said 'Yes.' If you don't play the scruples game well according to their rules, they will vote you off the team." (10/18) It is obvious not that the boe had no choice given the no-cut contract this toxic individual had.

Matthew Stoddard 6 years, 6 months ago

JQ- My info is as rock solid as a source allows. Simple deduction backs up that source. Unfortunately, as soon as you discover these things, that person invents a new handle and people think this is some brand new person who agrees/disagrees with them. Odds are, you are talking to the same person as before. How many handles do you have? But, yes: reread my posts.

I challenge people's anonimity because you can lie thru your teeth and not be called on it. I didn't state who PSent was. I said to CommonSense: "You can come to your own conclusions." Did I not also say that since I found out who it is that I no longer bother replying to her? Yes, I did.

Are you of a mind to just believe anything said by someone who can't own their words? I don't. Not for a minute. Since PSent has found a way to jab at Dr. D in basically any thread that has little or nothing to do with the Board, PSent is doing the same thing that Dr. D did with emails- show an obsession with a particular person in a mean spirited way, with little allusions to "peeing" on somebody's leg, when about the Dog Park.

This type of post is not even opinionated...it's just drivel and get's no point across, nor contributes to discussion. All it has shown is that this person is just as obsessive about Dr. D with her little self-proclaimed "experiment" as D was in his emails about Cyndy Simms. PSent just happens to hide behind anonimity. D didn't get that choice, and wasn't an elected official at the time. It's an anonymous pot calling a named kettle, to paraphrase the old saying.

And if it shocks you that I come across as mean...yeah...reread my other posts. I come across as mean to many people; some deserved, some for fun, some not intended. It's all in how you interpret it. Would you like me to quote some of your posts that I personally find insulting and have you defend those?

You'll notice I haven't mentioned your name even though others have in the past. In fact, you'll notice I have NEVER given out a person's name directly on this forum. In fact, I haven't given up names when people have sent me direct contacts, either. Even when Stompk told me in a post as to their identity, I didn't come out and say "Hey (fill in the blank)! How are you since...?"

Take my post to yampaman about Cheryl A. Witt from Westminster on the Campaign posts as my biggest reasoning for calling out anonymous posters: yampaman wanted to know who this person was from Westminster and why are they associated with a local issue? Why should it matter to someone who is anonymous and might be from Littleton? yampaman has "yampa" in the handle...so what? I can make my handle "PresBush." Are you going to believe I'm the President of the U.S.A.?

Matthew Stoddard 6 years, 6 months ago

And JQ- People have the right to remain anonymous. I have the right to call them on it...or does posting my opinion not count?

Matthew Stoddard 6 years, 6 months ago

Elkeye- See my long-winded post about how sure I am. Without ultimately seeing whose name is attached thru the login sign-up, I could very well be wrong. I've got money saying I'm not. I don't think there's any story here, either way. It's just an anonymous person babbling a bunch of incoherencies with a lucid thought thrown in every once in a while.

JQ- See? My not being anonymous allows me to HAVE to put up or shut up. Being anonymous DOESN'T allow that for anyone.

elkwatch 6 years, 6 months ago

Hi Matt, I'm Elkwatch not elkeye but thanks for the information. I'd put money on your being right too now that I've looked into it more.
You have to admit it's an ironic end to this weird story: school official who exposes another official's e-mails ends up exposing herself with a pack of 'anonymous' hate-filled crazy (as in totally insane) postings.

One of her posts said, " I consistently supported salary increases for teachers!" She goes downhill fast. The earlier posts were not so crazy but look at the recent ones. It was looking less and less like reallocal as it went more over the edge.
If nothing else, give this board huge credit after all the flak they took!

Still can't believe the irony - stranger than a made for TV movie.

Matthew Stoddard 6 years, 6 months ago

D'oh!!! Sorry about that, elkwatch! My bad. Too many handles that are alike, sometimes. My apologies!

I believed at one time that PSent was more than just 1 person. I'm now sure I was wrong with that line of thinking. (I do notice plenty of handles that are most likely shared by people. Hey, if 1 person can have multiple handles, why couldn't people share one?) I keep telling people that while I may not be the most booksmart person, I pay attention to other details that as an actor, are instilled in me. I have spent my life as a "people watcher." This is how I can differentiate my characters when I'm onstage: I take little things from everyone I watch, either live or on TV. (Heh! That's what I call watching a lot of TV- research!)

Whether people believe this or not, that's up to them. As 90-ish% of the people on this forum say as a last resort, "I don't have to prove anything to anyone. As long as I believe it, that's all that matters!"

CommonSense 6 years, 6 months ago

If anyone needs more info on the identity matter, look at my posts above (sorry about the length). The research convinced me that Matt is correct.

JQPUBLIC 6 years, 6 months ago

Matt.... you said "Take my post to yampaman about Cheryl A. Witt from Westminster on the Campaign posts as my biggest reasoning for calling out anonymous posters:" WELL it looks like you're putting words in peoples mouths. yampaman posted "Who is Cheryl A. Witt of Westminster?" in which you replied " Just because you have "Yampa" in your Pilot handle doesn't mean you're from here. That is what you are basically asking, right: who is this person from Westminster sticking their nose into Steamboat business?".... All I see is your assumption of yampamans meaning and you are now posting it as his statement. Using your name doesn't automatically make you right either. As for Psent writing drivel, I agree, but since I know this, I just save time and skip over the posts. This will probably be the last time we agree on anything for awhile so until next time... happy posting.

Matthew Stoddard 6 years, 6 months ago

JQ- I said look at MY post. I asked (receiving no answer) as to why yampaman was asking and yes: I made the assumption as to why the question was asked.

That's how I work: I use deductive skills and questions to come to my conclusions. I could figure no other reason for asking who Witt was, unless yampaman is a stalker looking for a date. I highly doubt that. Heck- I'm waiting for elphaba to answer a questions about calling someone cowards. That was all I did. I've even got my response typed, waiting in MS Word to cut and paste, then edit for the unexpected response...if it comes.

And no, using my name doesn't make me right: it makes me accountable for what I say and write. Granted, this isn't a court of law, but shouldn't anyone be able to confront their accuser, no matter what the accusation is? Thanks for the chat, though! We'll see if we agree somewhere else down the line.

titsikama 6 years, 6 months ago

This is very interesting. I guess it okay to say mean nasty things in a public forum annomously, but not mean nasty things privately and with identity. And if someone can be accountable for what they say privately, then surely they should be held accountable for what the say publically whether they say it annomously it or not. That was always my beef with the e-mails. I find it really hard to believe (though clearly the person has an axe to grind and the timing is a little odd) that PS is who you say, but I always found PS comments to be completly ironic and I was always curious how PS claimed to have inside knowledge that most of us would never know about. If it is her, I feel like we all most be part of some strange reality show and I am waiting for the final episode.

Matthew Stoddard 6 years, 6 months ago

There's no episode, really. I have a way of finding things out when I really desire. It's not that hard, really. I worked at Go-Fer Foods back when Cal & Carole owned it. I used to have pretty much dirt on anyone in town. Go-Fer's was Gossip-Central. You just have to know where and how to look. That's why finding stuff on the internet is a pain a lot of times. Too many variables until you hit just the right one.

And I don't think of it as wrong to post anonymously; I just don't give that person as much credence, depending on what they say. That's why I challenge people who start talking crap but won't be held accountable for it. All PSent did was the exact same thing Dr. D did: show an obsessive behavior toward their intended target with words.

I've done the same thing toward SBvor, but I can at least say I was getting a hilarious giggle out of it. (Basically, PSent stole my schtick.) It served no other purpose until I got bored with the game. Found out SBvor's identity a while back. Still haven't given that out, either, though. I figured if SBvor's past incarnation indirectly accused me of identity theft, then by all rights I should actually know who my accuser was. So...I found out.

Now, all of Svbore's war diatribe means nothing to me. If you've never been in the military, don't tell me how it works. Been there, done that, got the Chapter-case.

dimwitiguess 6 years, 6 months ago

If any of you know D then you know a lot of what he wrote was truth, supported by factual happenings and much of it tongue in cheek. If you know his humor then you get much of the context with the emails. Was there anger also, yes stated privately.

Was it obsessive, not really when you consider he was talking to someone who he had something in common with. Was it commissurating. Did any of you read D's feelings in the emails? I'd say each person (Jody and D) was processing his feelings, and anger, that neither felt comfortable talking to others about. Whatever.

The sad truth is now some may see how he was feeling and that his feelings were kept to one other third person, PRIVATELY, someone he did not know. Obsessive or not it was private and not stated on the internet when it is known to be read by others with the INTENT that others read it. I am a dimwitiguess, but I'm glad to have supported D.

I hope you are right, Kielbasa. The silence from PS is deafening and telling I think.

JLKM 6 years, 6 months ago

I think that this whole forum is shameful. I have small children who play better than all of you put together. My suggestion is that if there is such a great need to throw stones....no....not stones......daggers at each other, planting seeds as to "whom" some of the participants within this little "comment area" are, and directing personal insults at specific individuals, then go find a chat room on the internet and do your mud slinging there. Our community doesn't need anymore of this low class, white trash behavior. Play nice and start to act like the grownups that you consider yourselves to be.

beagle 6 years, 6 months ago

Interesting situation. JLKM - I have to disagree. When someone gets on this blog anonymously and repeatedly spews hateful and/or downright sick comments, then they've just opened themselves up to whatever may come their way. If you take a look at some of Principallysent's comments, you'll see what everyone is talking about.

elkwatch 6 years, 6 months ago

JLKM: Pretty funny that you find this forum shameful but then go on to call people white trash! Clean up your own act. If anyone other than Matt had dropped this info, I wouldn't have paid attention, but he's established some credibility. I agree that if you get on here and abuse the site, you should be held accountable.

dimwitiguess 6 years, 6 months ago

Why don't you tell us, PS? You just can't, can you, Coward?

dimwitiguess 6 years, 6 months ago

JLKM, I guess the whole thing doesn't matter. One thing you do know is that PS supports three candidates who are vying for school board positions. I will do my best to talk to all of my friends to make sure they know that this obtrusive person is supporting those three. I believe in this current board, and now I have something to show my friends and those I know to be borderline. I hope it changes some minds with this kind of supporter they have. The idea that anyone on this blog can even marginally support this behavior and try to make excuses for this person is extraordinary. That is a scary thought (during this Halloween season) even for a dimwitiguess.

JQPUBLIC 6 years, 6 months ago

dimwitiguess... I hope you rethink your statement, would you honestly allow your vote to be swayed that way? If you have chosen a candidate that you think will best serve your interests, are you going to change your vote based on some idiot ranting in support of him/her? Maybe Psent isn't so much in favor of any candidates as she/he is against some, either way, if you choose your own candidate and try to influence the vote of your friends based on the rantings of an out of control blogger... you really are a dimwit.

Matthew Stoddard 6 years, 6 months ago

PSent- since you directed a question toward me, I'll take the time to answer. I drove tanks in the Army, and gunned a couple times; just not on the really important testings. In 3 1/2 years driving a tank, I threw track only 2; second time due to a bent track guide that we couldn't solder off until after getting back to the rear.

I also spent that time as my company TAMMS clerk, meaning I was responsible for all paperwork involved on signing out vehicles, noting mileage records, etc. I also worked as a Battatlion Parts Supervisor when our battalion was turning in the old M60A3 tanks and getting M1's. I coordinated transfer of old equipment for new in order to rebuild the old tanks.

I never left Ft. Carson during my stint (training at Ft. Knox, notwithstanding) and got out on a Chapter-12B 7 months before my ETS date due to my drinking habits keeping me from waking up for morning formations.

Answer your questions? Too bad you aren't as good on the return courtesy, eh? Don't worry; I don't expect you to suddenly have an epiphany and reveal yourself.

I have no reason to hide from my past, present or future. And yes, I know exactly who you are, even if some others on this thread have misconstrued who I meant. Just enough to let you know and keep others guessing. Enjoy!!

dimwitiguess 6 years, 6 months ago

Sorry JQ, but this person is a representative of those seeking the board positions. Domination is mentioned enough and I know those running and have heard the comments made during the "debates" forums. No thanks, these are not the people for our board. We were tired of the board superintendent conflict and it is clear why that was - a contract that was unbreakable so she didn't have to do what the board asked. I don't want an open division between board members who can't or won't work together. This group is running on the platform that they are going to take over and straighten out (dominate)those we elected two years ago. I didn't care for the previous board's (Stephenson, Gleason, Havener, Loomis, on and on) tactics, and I'm not willing to vote for others like them. I am a dimwitiguess, but I'm not a CRAZY dimwit, iguess.

JLKM 6 years, 6 months ago

elkwatch: stating that some of the comments posted in this forum give the impression of "white trash behavior"......behavior being the key word, is quite different than specifically calling an individual "white trash" which I did not do. beagle: don't lower your standards just because someone else does. Everyone has the ability to disagree and fight back with class. It is one thing to state the facts and personal opinions, but to bring up, "cheating" issues, "experimental drug" innuendos, etc.....believe me....I am not perfect but everyone needs to realize how many of our kids also read these articles and comments. AND....especially with individuals being named specifically or implying that a certain "Username" could be a specific somebody...I think we should stick to the facts, present great insight and arguments pertaining to this article, and set an example for our kids. Believe me....there are more than any of us realize who go on to this website and read up on "wuz happenin' in the Boat"....and they love these little chat areas. It's the main line to some of the local gossip.

elkwatch 6 years, 6 months ago

JKLM - You sound like you walked in in the middle of a movie and have no idea what's going on. I'm all for decency on this website, which is why I'm glad to see Psent have to face the music. Did you miss the last two months of disgusting and creepy attacks on Denise Connelly and the rest of the school board?
And really, there's not much difference between accusing someone of "white trash behavior" and calling them white trash.

dimwitiguess 6 years, 6 months ago

Welcome kids! As one user of this blog I welcome you to real life as it is becoming. Sick twists with total anonymity. Baiting, taunting, bullying and berating. This is your future. You have the NEWSPAPER to thank for this type of communication. I hope that you will learn from reading this tripe that your PILOT REPORTERS, EDITORS, AND PUBLISHERS are responsible for this "forum" of hate. This forum is much different than those of the Greeks in that the Greeks believed in speaaking freely and openly. Today people are encouraged by your NEWS AGENCIES to speak freely and irresponsibly and with hoods over their heads to conceal their identity so they can be as obnoxious as they want. Remember hate breeds hate. Inuendo is better than fact. What ever you write is protected by your freedom to express yourself with some exceptions. As long as you turn on each other, then you are divided and somewhere I remember learning "united we stand divided we fall. Your PILOT encourages division in your town. The PILOT is NOT your FRIEND. It is the basest of all papers. But they'll say I'm a dimwitiguess.

sarakg 6 years, 6 months ago

"Welcome kids! As one user of this blog I welcome you to real life as it is becoming. Sick twists with total anonymity. Baiting, taunting, bullying and berating. This is your future. You have the NEWSPAPER to thank for this type of communication...Today people are encouraged by your NEWS AGENCIES to speak freely and irresponsibly and with hoods over their heads to conceal their identity so they can be as obnoxious as they want...Your PILOT encourages division in your town. The PILOT is NOT your FRIEND. It is the basest of all papers."

Seriously? Irony anyone? Using the newspaper's website to anonymously condemn anyone anonymously posting on the newspaper's website, then condemning the paper? Perhaps there is a definition to be found here. I think it is in Webster's and it starts with h...then try y...next p..I'm sure you can find it from there.

Go ROCKIES...and no, I am not drinking, nor drunk, since anyone in my family having a drink has obviously become such a central position in your posts, Steamboat. I am getting ready to go to work. And I'm not PS either. Sorry to disappoint, dimwitted.

Sara K. Gleason

CommonSense 6 years, 6 months ago

We're just a bunch of Steamboat Hillbillies, but we've known for quite a while that Sara was not PS. We're waaaay too dumb to figure out that the Ancient Eight includes Penn and that PS received an undergrad degree in the very late 60's. Guess the psychology background and close associations explain a lot of the content in the posts. It must be very hard for the two of you sophisticated PhD's to put up with all of the backwoods people of Steamboat.

elkwatch 6 years, 5 months ago

Guess who had this dissertation title?
"Illinois public elementary school superintendents' and principals' perceptions regarding the superintendent's influence on principal instructional leadership behavior through the use of supervision, behavior control and output control"

And to quote PS:

"Social Hierarchy & Pack Behavior is far more interesting when you study and observe it in in the human species."

"You never fail to amuse and entertain me. That is why I love the behavioral studies side of medicine. I'll anxiously await for the rush of negative postings about me :) I love it when you prove me right."

"Behavioral studies is so entertaining."

Matthew Stoddard 6 years, 5 months ago

Wow! Away a couple of days and it's flying around & PSent is talking to voices again.

PSent- looks like I may not have to reveal your identity. Too many people finding even more info than I tried to find. Even if I did come out and say it, how would you reply except to say "You're wrong," and not bother to disprove it.

Brent Boyer- Can you and WILL you confirm who PSent is if my guess/source is correct, if PSent gives permission to you specifically to reveal the email addy that PSent signed-up with? PSent already gave me permission on this thread, but I want a pay-off out of this. If I'm correct, I want it confirmed by a third party, if you are able. Then, we need PSent authority to have that email company reveal the trail leading from there.

Or, more simply, if I'm correct, we can have someone take PSent and my picture together, just like when you find the Yule Log. I want some type of verification for this, though.

dimwitiguess 6 years, 5 months ago

PS, Devincentis laughed about the grossness of anyone being in the throes of passion with Simms. Did you read the emails? Obviously not. Simms had told him she was moving to WA and Seattle because there was a larger dating pool there. He and Joby were laughing about that. They were grossed out by the thought of it.

He lied to the board members because as anyone would do, he wanted her to get the job and leave. I know you and others would never think of doing anything like that. Not only that but Simms told him she would be leaving if she got the job. She practically told him, go along with me and I'm out of here. He did go along and she is out of here.

He was angry over two years ago and apologized for his PRIVATE conversations (over two years old) with another person he never met or spoke with. What about your very sick anger and postings NOW? D's intent was not to hurt anyone, yours is to hurt, degrade, taunt, etc. How ironic your postings are.

And what is this BS about some guy and an Italian restaurant got to do with anything? You are really slipping over the edge.

jeannie berger 6 years, 5 months ago

Stay tuned for the next installment of "How the Boat Floats" as Dr. vs Dr. continues..... Seriously this is better entertainment than what is on the tube.

Matthew Stoddard 6 years, 5 months ago

So PSent- Does this mean you give Brent and me the authority to spill the beans? Just put it in a post all that you agree to (not just a simple "Yes," though. We want you to say it in your own words.) and I'm sure you know how it should be worded, being an "ethical" doctor and all, eh?

You called me on it, so let's make it official! (My message to children is to not talk with your feet in your mouth, even when typing.)

Sunspot 6 years, 5 months ago

kielbasa Jedi-Master, I am impressed.

reallocal If all of this is true some of us owe you an apology.

It's just hard to tell the difference between the ramblings of a high school kid and the ramblings of an Ancient Eight PhD.

Matthew Stoddard 6 years, 5 months ago

PSent- Are you or are you not consenting to what I posted, in order to prove/disprove my guess to your identity?

As to my identity, I'm in the book. Call me and I can confirm who I am. If you are too paranoid, well, that's on you. Give up an answer so we can conclude this idiocy, and you can go back to carrying a recall petition...months after the recall failed. (Yeah- that doesn't say "I need help in a major way!")

elkwatch 6 years, 5 months ago

Psent - You just posted the entire letter to the editor written by Tami Havener on June 10. Are you trying to say that you are Ms. Havener? Or are you just throwing stuff out there to relive the recall days?
I know you see D behind every bush but I hate to tell you, I really don't think he's anywhere near this blog!

elkwatch 6 years, 5 months ago

And poof she's gone! Every single comment removed. Well, Matt, it looks like you won't be getting an answer now. Anyway, it was pretty clear to anyone following that you were right: Principallysent was a certain well-known PhD'd someone and/or her husband. Adios, Psent, I guess you'll have to find some other way to deal with the hillbillies.

Matthew Stoddard 6 years, 5 months ago

"You Better Run! You Better Hiiii-iiide! You better leave from my siiii-iii-iiiIIIght! Yeah!"

Thank you, Pat Benatar!

Wow! All posts removed. Wonder why?

localroots 6 years, 5 months ago

Hey Matt you know why! With the school board election next week, the powers that be from the Pilot didn't want anyone going back and reading Psent's vitriolic, bizarre blogs once it got out that it was our esteemed past educational leader.

dimwitiguess 6 years, 5 months ago

Mister Boyer, it was your paper's editorial which you are responsible for that proclaimed: OUR VIEW: THE SILENCE IS DISTURBING Your silence on the PRINCIPALLYSENT messages on your blog is also DISTURBING.

Why are you not following up on this NEWSWORTHY event and all of her bloggings? The fact that Howell was the messenger and her husband and she are contributing to those running against two current board members who ousted Howell isn't newsworthy to you? No answer to us bloggers about your lack of follow through. DISTURBING.

Would this have anything to do with the paper and your, standford, Schilct and Larson's ties to the old board and Howell the reason you won't follow up with a story.

Kielbasa, your information is vitally important to the election hopes of two current board members running for office. They voted to oust Howell and they are being run down by those who say it wasn't in the best interest of the school district. You KNOW the board did right and its decision was justified. I implore you to come forward with the information.

dimwit

justathought 6 years, 5 months ago

Mr. Boyer, I appreciate the forums here in the pilot, it allows us to express our opinion, spark debate, and yes, even to rant. I applaud you for removing PRINCIPALLYSENT, he/she had a one track mind no matter what the article was about. I guess the posters here have forgotten that all they had to provide to use this forum was an email address, that you have no proof of our identity. The people insisting that a ranting anonymous blogger is newsworthy have a few problems of their own. Keep up the good work.

dimwitiguess 6 years, 5 months ago

Hey, Boyer, What up? How did that happen? The Pilot isn't in on that whole thing? Come on Boyer you have to answer this one.

Howell and/or her husband, I'll say it, were behind all those PS blogs.

Boyer I want to take all of mine off too. How do I do that? Really, how do I do that? I mean really....

Anyone voting for the ABC's need to remember, "bubble, bubble toil and trouble." That's what you'll get from those three. That's what PS was up to, and it is readily apparent that the PILOT was in on the whole thing.

Howell and her husband have contributed quite readily to their campaigns. Do you need any more proof about what you'll get?

Come on, Kielbasa, time to tell us. You can't allow that to happen.

I copied PS's statements and I know others of you did. I suggest we post them again.

JQPUBLIC 6 years, 5 months ago

SP&T.... Do you automatically remove posts when you suspend someones account?

Brent Boyer 6 years, 5 months ago

dimwitiguess, et al: There is no conspiracy involving the Steamboat Pilot & Today and the poster formerly known as PRINCIPALLYSENT. After weeks of reading PRINCIPALLYSENT's insensitive, inappropriate remarks about certain School Board members, school district officials and fellow posters, I decided enough was enough. Quite simply, PRINCIPALLYSENT has been banned. In so doing, his/her comments were removed. Only after banning him/her did I think that the timing may appear suspicious to some of you. To be clear, the identity of posters on the Web site is no more obvious to the staff of the Pilot & today than it is to any of you. The Pilot & Today has banned numerous posters in the past year, and all for the same reason. Personal attacks, obscenities, unfair criticisms that involve incidents that aren't a matter of public record and offensive insults will be deleted. Repeat offenders will be banned. I, like many of you, have enjoyed the forum our Web site provides the community. But with increased use comes an increasing number of posts that are inappropriate. Such posts will not be tolerated. This is a moderated post. We delete posts and ban users at our discretion. If you have any questions about this issue, please contact me at 871-4221 or bboyer@steamboatpilot.com.

Brent Boyer Editor, Steamboat Pilot & Today

Matthew Stoddard 6 years, 5 months ago

Brent- Does this mean I'm free to share my finding here? Your post answer the questions about whether you can find the identity or not, but not whether I can show my verification. I will not give up my "little birdie" since that person has asked me not to, but PSent said it was okay...in a now-deleted post.

elk2 6 years, 5 months ago

dimwit: your blog is right on. If PS is Howell, WOW!

dimwitiguess 6 years, 5 months ago

Mr. Boyer, thanks for the explanation, but it is VERY difficult to believe the timing was accidental. It has appeared that the Pilot and it's managerial staff have colluded with certain individuals who have attempted to undermine the present school board and one board member in particular.

Now that former superintendent and/or her husband are to be outed, this banning occurred. "Only after banning him/her did I think that the timing may appear suspicious to some of you." That is surely an understatement.

I would like Kielbasa to tell us what he has heard. You know who David Howell and his wife are supporting. I think that is newsworthy and the fact that they may be PS, is vitally important to the understanding of the decision made regarding Howell's buy-out.

Two current incumbents may be being judged on that decision and it is important and NEWSWORTHY. Jerry Kozatch and Char Rusk made an important and correct decision.

Saying that, I might not be a dimwitiguess

Matthew Stoddard 6 years, 5 months ago

Brent sent me a PM basically saying the same as his message above, and based on what everyone else is thinking, he said he thought I was wrong.

I've already stated in my post to PSent that from the posts of other people, I didn't think we were on the same page as to the identity I was thinking.

I also said that my info is only as good as what my contact told me and what I found searching. That didn't lead me to Howell; either of them. Is it possible it really is one/both of the Howells? Could be; might not be.

I've asked Brent if he will allow me to print my "investigation" in printed form and am waiting to hear back from him if I won't get banned for doing it. I even gave a quick synopsis to him of my conclusions.

As I spoke to another forum poster last night, I don't intend to reveal my findings until Brent says it's okay to do so here. I also won't reveal it by phone (I tell people "I'm in the book." Someone took me up on it last night. Thanks!!) because if people are that interested, I'd like to discuss different findings here, where everyone can participate in order to either back-up my findings or disprove them completely. Ultimately, on PSent can truly say who they are, without my hiring someone to spy on them while typing on computers. Not happening. Since the PSent login is banned, that makes it even harder to truly prove/disprove now.

Either way, even if it was one of the Howells, they are entitled to their opinion and are free to post it under the Pilot Forums' guidelines, just as we all are. (Granted, PSent didn't post much opinion or anything except incoherencies, most of the time.) There's no story in that.

This is also why I hate anonimity in public discussions; because you can't determine the person's motivations or corraborate their "personal experience." Just as a poster called me last night and ID'd him/herself to me, I won't reveal that person or their handle unless they permit me to. (I'm not completely heartless...just 1/2 to 3/4! LOL!) But now that I know who that is, I understand their concerns and motivations. It allows for more credence in discussions.

The only thing that will really come out of this is to take our minds off the crap and have "Non-Murder, Online Mystery Party." Nobody even has to provide chips!

jeannie berger 6 years, 5 months ago

Matt, you missed your calling. You should have been an investigative reporter; secret sources, spying on folks while they type on their computers. Any meetings in underground parking lots with people that won't reveal their identities? Who could be so curious that they (dimwit maybe) would actually call you at home in order to confirm your guess about who PS was or is. Curiouser and curiouser...............can't wait for the next episode.

Matthew Stoddard 6 years, 5 months ago

dream- I didn't say the caller was a supporter or detractor of what I wrote. I try to play fair on all sides! Being a reporter...naaaaaah! This is all for fun! My calling is my current job and being onstage when time allows.

dimwitiguess 6 years, 5 months ago

dreamriver. Nope, didn't call. Amazing how you think. Do I like Howell or Boyer or the paper. Nope, but sorry didn't call. Kielbasa, is on his own. No need for me to call him. He's his own person and I have no right to infringe on his wanting to remain private. I asked him on this blog to set the record straight. His answer, being an honorable man, is his.

Boyer and the paper know they did what they did because the calling was getting too close. I don't believe Boyer. He's of the same ilk as the others who work for the Pilot managerial staff. They have no honor. Just pompous, self-righteous beings who don't care what anyone thinks.

They allow two months of s--- and then erase everything when it gets close to them and meantime all that objectionable material was allowed to sit there for two months. Boyer hadn't had enough yet or most likely he didn't think the board and some members took enough abuse to suit the PILOT. And just as PRINCIPALLYSENT said the skeletons would come out of the closet on Halloween. Funny Boyer's timing. Yeh, Boyer you have taken the editor's position at the Pilot. SOS.

Can't be as smart as Boyer and his minions so I must be a dimwitiguess

Julia Ernst 6 years, 5 months ago

While following this year's election for School Board members, all voters should consider these ideas on how to select the best candidates. To start, the requirement for a School Board member should be defined.

School board member requirements: A volunteer dedicated to excellence in educating our community of children. One who brings an area of expertise to the educational landscape. One who is unselfish and will bring leadership to our district. One who acts with integrity and professionalism always; WORKS WELL WITH OTHERS and understands Policy Governance.

Next, if you would like a board that is effective and gets goals accomplished, please be aware all RE-2 School Board members must know and follow the Carver Model on Policy Governance; a management technique. The following excerpt taken from an introduction to it will brief you on basic purposes for it.

"Leadership is an important, yet elusive concept. It takes on different forms in different settings. The intent of Policy Governance® is to give operational definition to "leadership" as it applies in the specific context of a governing board. It addresses the questions: "How can a group of peers be a responsible owner-representative, exercising authority over activities they will never completely see, toward goals they cannot fully measure, through jobs and disciplines they will never master themselves? How can they do so when within themselves they disagree, there is a limited time for the task, and there is an unending stream of organizational details demanding inspection? In light of the leadership opportunities made possible by Policy Governance . . .Our missions and our own integrity demand that boards govern rather than either rubber stamp or meddle. . ." (Policy Governance® in a Nutshell from Carvergovernance.com) After reading the above introductory ideas, ask yourself the following questions while considering who is best for this job. Do you want a board that blames previous boards for the current hard decisions they make? (If yes, then stop now and vote for your incumbents) Do you want a board that will take ownership for the current hard decisions they make? Do want a board that will work well together? Do you want a board that will never have to hide information? Do you want leadership in this group? Do you want someone who embraces the business management model of Policy Governance rather than someone who says the School Board should not run like a business? Finally do you want this board to be exemplary in integrity, honesty and never deceitful? If you have read this far and answered yes, then I am confident you will have this kind of board by voting for the ABC's. By the way, Robin Crossan is hands down a leader who can balance the problem. To quote Lisa Brown, "There is no reason our district can not be the best district in the state."

localroots 6 years, 5 months ago

More SOS double speak. I guess you all have No Comment on the wonderful blogger Psent and her true identity. Our present BOE was right to start fresh with a new superintendent who most people I have heard from, including district office personnel, see as a breath of fresh air. Kudos to Connelly and the rest of the BOE for hiring her!

CommonSense 6 years, 5 months ago

Ms. Ernst: You have not followed your reasoning to the logical conclusion. You yourself quote that board members must exercise "authority over activities they will never completely see, toward goals they cannot fully measure, through jobs and disciplines they will never master themselves" How is this accomplished? By depending upon their only employee (the superintendent) to communicate problems and concerns to them and communicate their direction and goals to subordinates. This means the superintendent must be honest and trustworthy and willing to follow directives. Obviously, this was not happening. Reading the investigation report on the district website and the previous two years evaluations substantiate this. Was this the past board's fault for tying the hands of the present board and leaving no motivation to do this job? YES. How many employers in this town would give a four year contract to an employee with a FULL TERM BUY-OUT--up to four years!? I'm sure no one has this deal. As for running the district as a business. To a certain extent this is possible. But, anyone in business knows that if a product is underperforming and bringing the bottom line down, it may be time to consider dropping it or putting fewer resources into it. Is this what you propose to do with students who lag behind? This is a scary line of reasoning when taken to the extent you propose. As far as the other questions you ask, the answers are YES: for honesty, integrity, being able to make the hard decisions without outside pressure from groups like SOS and threats from community bullies RUSK and KOZATCH should be voted in to continue the district on the right track they've begun. Our district is much better off now that last year.

dimwitiguess 6 years, 5 months ago

Ernst is a constant whiner and complainer. Anything she's involved in is whine, whine, whine, nag, nag, nag, gripe, gripe, gripe. You follow her reasoning and you'll end up with a board just like the old boards. No responsibilty, no oversight, show up at a meeting rubber stamp decisions, lack of caring for staff and their opinions, a superintendent who is only concerned about having other people do her work.

This board chose another woman to run the District. THis superintendent has rekindled trust in the system, and shows a willingness to work with people. Something that we haven't seen in many years.

VOTE FOR KOZATCH AND RUSK. They made a very hard decision when they knew they would get criticized and their election chances were on the line.

It is obvious now that Howell and her former cronies on the previous board did not have our district's (or our children's) best interest in mind. Their interest was to keep Howell in place (that was her interest too) to the detriment of every other interest in our schools. PRINCIPALLYSENT showed up right after Howell's ouster, spews venom and hatred, and is taken off the site when the election is right around the corner. Boyer explained it as "accidental" timing that could be viewed as suspicious. He waited three months to decide enough was enough. Three months. He must have determined PSent needed the Pilot's protection.Hmmmmmmm. Sure thing.

No Boyer and his mangerial staff don't have the district in mind. THEY ARE TOO BUSY CONTINUING WITH THEIR LAWSUIT AGAINST THE DISTRICT. The Pilot and its "award winning staff" have no scruples and no ethical standards.

Julia Ernst 6 years, 5 months ago

Commonsense,

The scary line of reasoning is yours.

Local Roots,

I had nothing to do with SOS. As for Connelly, she knew about the emails long before the paper and never asked for a resignation as you all wouldn't have either. Dr. Smyser is great, but she probably won't stay as history repeats itself. I'm sick of churning supers becuz of him.

Why should you care about the real identity of an anonymous poster? These musings are cathartic!

Sunspot 6 years, 5 months ago

juliaernst "As for Connelly, she knew about the emails long before the paper"

How do you know that? Some inside info you would like to share?

Also, every time I have an employee that cannot be fired, there are many problems. It takes away incentive to be a team player.

sleepinggiant 6 years, 5 months ago

People need to let go of the fact that Howell is gone but let's get things straight. Rusk didn't vote to get rid of Howell. She abstained because she was not on the board for the entire process, even though the board had just cause to terminate her. Which they must have proven to her in secret session. She couldn't make a decision.

Why is Connelly out campaigning for Rusk and Kozatch? What is she afraid of? Having board members she can't control. Having people that actually have an original thought of their own?

For those of you that support Rusk and Kozatch, name one thing that the board has done since they fired Howell? Look at the minutes of the meetings. For all of the work that needs to be done in this district, they haven't done a thing.

snoman 6 years, 5 months ago

juliaernst

All boards and councils by law have certain items that must be discussed in executive session, stating that this boe holds secret meetings is not accurate. In fact past boe's used to hold more secretive sessions than this boe. This boe stopped the process of board discssion taking place via e-mail. Anyone who sat through board meetings in the past watched as a motion came to the board and was then voted on and no discussion ever took place. This was because previous boards violated the sunshine laws by cc'ing each other in their e-mails. This boe is more transparent than many and have made some very difficult decisions.

As for your comments on policy governance you are correct in quoting the Carver model but incorrect in applying it to this boe. This board has had inservices and training on policy governance and one of the things they discovered is that no previous boe ever carried it out correctly. In fact it was reported that policy governance had never been implemented correctly in this district. This board under the leadership of Denise Connelly has tried to remedy this situation but apparently ran into problems with a previous leader.

As for Robin being a"hands down a leader who can balance the problem" I have questions as to that assesment. My thoughts being that as leader of the education fund she is presiding over the controversial spending of $60,000 of taxpayer money for a PR campaign.

My votes will be for Rusk and Kozatch because they care more about the kids and the staff then they do about any single individual. And, sometimes I think they care more aboout the kids than they do about themselves. Otherwise they wouldn't have made such a tough and controversial decision 2 months before they were up for election.

Matthew Stoddard 6 years, 5 months ago

Sleepinggiant- can you provide the minutes since 27AUG on the District site? The website hasn't been updated with any since then. Of course, in some of the searching I've done in my "investigation," a lot of school sites in different areas I've visited haven't been updated, so it seems standard.

Please provide us with the minutes you are seeing.

CommonSense 6 years, 5 months ago

julieernst:You say of PS - "These musings are cathartic." Sounds like you know exactly who wrote those and you are condoning all the awful, crazy spewing. This is irrational support your friend's (PS) agenda.

You say that Connelly knew of the emails long before publication. Where are you getting your information? In the investigation transcripts and timeline on the district website it is specified that the present board found out only the day before publication when a reporter called them for comment. From the timeline it appears only one person on the board knew about the collection of the emails--Pat Gleason. That brings up the issue of why did he not reveal these to the other members to deal with in a professional, ethical manner. Guess it didn't suit his and SOS purposes. Pathetic!

sleepinggiant: Maybe the supporters of Rusk and Kozatch would like to see a board that can work together and throw the district back into an adversarial position. Electing the "block" of three individuals running is electing an SOS-backed team to further their agenda which was begun with the collection and publication of the personal emails. Haven't you noticed the treats from PSent and others that they might have to "investigate" others (read dig up dirt and embellish the facts to suit their point of view).

Matt: Good point about the minutes. I guess sleepinggiant is a threatened insider with access to the latest minutes. From the paper, however, I have read that the board is moving ahead to study and try to implement fullday kindergarten and keeping the $30million building projects on budget and on time, dealing with busing issues, hiring a great superintendent with input from the community, helping to hire and keep in communication with a competent district staff, and deal with budget issues such as unforeseen expenses and allocation of surpluses. Other than that...

beagle 6 years, 5 months ago

Julia - It's upfront of you to use your name but this forum is sometimes kind of like roller derby which is why I choose not to!

Your comment about Connelly knowing about the e-mails long before the paper did is out of line and absolutely untrue.

As for PS's "musings" being "cathartic" I honestly hope you didn't read them all before you said that! There is a reason the Pilot finally removed those mostly vicious, crazy, and obsessive "musings." No one is ever going to be able to prove definitively who it was but my guess is the same as most people's here. There are only a handful of people in town who would be that obsessed with this subject and that knowledgable of certain things. From what I've seen, all clues (timing of PS appearance, posting all night, 'behavior studies,' Ancient 8 for hubby, etc.) lead to the same place. But that could be wrong...

beagle 6 years, 5 months ago

And yes it's true, the Pilot is suing the school board again - appealing the case they've already lost twice, refusing the board's offer to give them the transcripts they're after, costing the school district thousands of dollars.

What's your problem, Pilot? Is it ego?

Matthew Stoddard 6 years, 5 months ago

And sleepinggiant- take a look at the Chat Transcript with the new Super that was at 11am, just after you posted. Nobody evidently was there chatting except Smyser and Mike Lawrence, but she lists some of the things that the Board has already in the process and other things that have come up. Sounds like a big, full plate to me, at least.

sleepinggiant 6 years, 5 months ago

The minutes to the meetings are approved during the meetings are in the board packet that can be picked up at the board meetings and the district office. I am not an "insider" threatened by anything. I am a long time citizen that has been following this from the sidelines and was tired of hearing about how Rusk and Kozatch are "champions" for our kids. That is just like a lot of people on the web site, whenever some one speaks out about anything, you have to assume and attack them for being with SOS. I did sign the petition and was glad to see Howell go. Stop assuming you know me because all you are doing is making an a-- out of u.

I looked at the transcripts of the online chat and the board has not taken action on anything. Exploring the ideas of all day kindergarden and saying that we will have all day kindergarden are not the same thing. The board is not overseeing the building projects, they hired an owners rep to do it.

Oh by the way, PSent whoever he/she is appears to be certifiably insane. Not much of what they ever said made sense and it was hard to get through all of the non-sense that they spewed.

Matthew Stoddard 6 years, 5 months ago

Sleepinggiant- Many entities with a Board of Directors have meetings where no specific action was taken for a while. This isn't something new. If it takes only 1 meeting to decide and implement action...wouldn't you be wary? Would you want them to just come out the first time an issue came up and approve or disapprove it in the scope of one meeting, let alone 2 or 3? Depending on the scope of it all, plus the impending election, I would understand not taking action on things that will affect new members (definitely 1 newbie) on the Board.