A viewer watches "An Inconvenient Truth" on Wednesday evening at First Congregational United Church of Christ. The documentary's star and narrator, Al Gore, who recently won the Nobel Peace Prize, spoke about the issue of global warming. The screening was offered to the public for free.

Photo by Hans Hallgren

Global, green and Gore

Church sponsors screening of 'An Inconvenient Truth'

— Freshly minted Nobel Peace Prize winner and environmental activist Al Gore's "city by city, person by person" message about the effects and potential dangers of global warming reached a new audience Wednesday night in Craig.

The First Congregational United Church of Christ, in conjunction with the Interfaith Power and Light campaign, screened the former vice president's award-winning documentary, "An Inconvenient Truth," to a small crowd.

Although not all audience members were ready to embrace the global change Gore lobbies for in the film, the 94-minute documentary inspired thought and discussion.

"It's an eye opener," Craig resident Rich Self said.

"I think he has a lot of good points," Craig resident Helen Loyd said. "I think it's something we need to think about."

Wednesday night marked the second time Ted Crook, an electrician at Trapper Mine and chairman of the Moffat County Democratic Party, had seen the film. He said he attended the church's screening to revisit the documentary's content, which he believed the first time was scientifically accurate.

The second viewing did little to change his mind.

Crook has followed the topic of global warming since the 1970s, the same decade Gore held congressional hearings on environmental issues such as the reduction of carbon dioxide and other greenhouse gasses.

He said the movie offers a sobering message about the potential dangers of environmental instability caused by global warming.

"The ice core data is really, really solid," Crook said.

"I don't think it's a matter of belief. It's fact or not. : It just seems like we are having a lot of climatory problems. I think there is a lot of evidence for" global warming.

First Congregational Pastor Bob Woods, like Crook, said the importance of the global warming issue rises above the political divide it sometimes creates.

"It's not a matter of politics," Woods said. "It's a moral obligation we have to take care of the environment.

"It's our responsibility as Christians to be good stewards of the Earth. This is something that's very important. : I have a 2-year-old, and the congregation has children and grandchildren, and we're concerned they have a safe environment in the future."

Interfaith Power and Light is a San Francisco faith-based organization with a stated mission to "engage and support people of all faiths to respond to serious environmental challenges of energy consumption," according to literature handed out Wednesday night. It has 20 state affiliates, including Colorado.

It also encourages congregations to take a "green" approach, and conduct energy analysis and audits, and participate in high-performance building and design.

"Global warming is one of the biggest threats facing humanity today," the organization states in the literature. "The very existence of life - life that religious people are called to protect - is jeopardized by our continued dependency on fossil fuels for energy.

"Every mainstream religion has a mandate to care for creation. We were given natural resources to sustain us, but were also given the responsibility to act as good stewards and preserve life for future generations."

Ideally, Woods said, the movie's screening would raise awareness and promote small changes residents could make in their everyday lives.

"We'll see where it goes," the pastor said. "I hope it starts some consciousness and some movement in a positive direction in the community."

Comments

dundalk 7 years, 2 months ago

Al Gore is the biggest abuser of fossil fuel around. Ask yourself how this man gets to his paying engagements? How about the lifestyle he lives in his big energy sucking house in Tennessee? I can't believe that there are people stupid and simple enough who fall for this guy's baloney. Nobel Peace Prize - Big Deal. Mother Teresa was more deserving.

Neil O'Keeffe 7 years, 2 months ago

Don't shoot the messenger because you don't like the message. It's the increased awareness that matters and hopefully it isn't something we will "think about" for another 20 years before meaningful steps are taken on a global level. Believe

Matthew Stoddard 7 years, 2 months ago

Rokboat- I don't see how Gore got the Peace Prize, though. Shouldn't his stance on Global Warming garnered a prize in say, Chemistry or even Physics? Global Warming doesn't exactly make me picture anything to do with peace.

dundalk 7 years, 2 months ago

Rok:

Increased awareness? So how has Gore increased awareness? Does he practice what he preaches? Does he lead by example? Does he talk the talk and walk the walk? No. He's a hypocrite, plain and simple.

Everything in nature runs in cycles. Just how do you think that this planet started? What happened to the dinosaurs? Things move in cycles. 60 million years from now, people will probably be extinct. Things are constantly changing.

I am not saying that global warming doesn't exist. But I don't believe that the scale of things is as bad as Gore would like people to think it is. And if he truly believes the load of crap he is shoveling, don't you think that his extravagant travel means and living environment are a bit contradictory to his sermon?

I do my part - I try not to use aerosol hairspray look both ways before I throw my soda cans in the garbage and try to watch Fox News without all the lights on in the house.

Books 7 years, 2 months ago

Pt - Thanks for that one. I will pass it on to my tree hugger friends who prefer to have all of the lights on while I watch Fox News.

Here is one that Drudge had a couple of days ago.

autumnwitch 7 years, 2 months ago

If we do things to to protect ourselves from the crap we put into the air and water the earth will do better as well. The "global warming oh my gosh" campaign is just that. The earth has been way warmer on its own than now and it has also been alot colder. That is it's nature.

dimwitiguess 7 years, 2 months ago

Maybe your children will have a brighter future than some of our best scientists in the world think. Personally, I'll bet on taking care of Earth and cleaning up our wasteful act regardless of whether the sky is falling or not. Maybe your children will find out the hard way. Either way, too much pee in a pool with no filter starts to turn the water yellow and bad things begin to happen and appear. If you can hold your breath long enough, you're fine. But, hey, I'm just a dimwitiguess.

Neil O'Keeffe 7 years, 2 months ago

As soon as you admit to watching Fox News it sums it up for me, keep listening to your right wing pundits for your news and your grandkids will have a real mess on their hands.

With regard to the peace prize, don't you think that as the climate warms (at an accelerated pace) there will be a real scramble for resources and a direct impact on global food supplies. Look down the road a generation or two that's where the trouble lies if unadressed. Hypocrite or not "fat Al" has put the topic at the top of the list across the globe, certainly far more than Rush or W (made news other ways) can take credit for and I thank him for that. Believe!

Matthew Stoddard 7 years, 2 months ago

Rokboat- that still doesn't make me think of Peace in relation to science. I have no trouble giving Gore a Nobel Prize, if they feel it was deserved. I just think the Peace Prize was the wrong one to give. I think it takes away from people who are working to end violence in areas like Darfur or the like.

corduroy 7 years, 2 months ago

I can't see how Gore's Global Warming thing falls under any of the other Nobel Categories for 2007: Medicine, Physics, Chemistry, Literature, Economics

Neil O'Keeffe 7 years, 2 months ago

It certainly may have been a leap for the Nobel Prize Committee, but I think they were taking a long term view regarding the effects global warming will have on global peace. And yes I agree unfortuantely skipping over important and relevant current peace inniatives such as Darfur in the process. No one said they were perfect. Maybe they should have created a different category for him such as "Visionary" since after all he also created the internet in his spare time. Believe!

Matthew Stoddard 7 years, 2 months ago

Yes, we've loved having summer repeats on TV so having you rehash the same stuff for the umpteenth time is better than the Rockies going to the Series.