Pilot & Today wants your opinion

Online survey seeks to help paper better serve readers

On the 'Net

Participate in the Steamboat Pilot & Today's reader survey online at pulseresearch.com/steamboat/ and enter for a chance to win a 10-day, 20-day or season pass to Steamboat Ski Area.

— The Steamboat Pilot & Today launches an online survey today to gather information and opinions to better serve its readers.

"My hope is that many of our readers will go to www.steamboatpilot.com and take a few minutes to fill out the reader survey," Steamboat Pilot & Today Publisher Bryna Larsen said. "We're really looking for ways to better serve our readers and advertisers. This online survey will give us a clear roadmap for how we can do a better job in the future."

The survey will run for one week and is composed of multiple choice and open-ended questions to gauge the media consumption, spending and lifestyle habits of the Yampa Valley community. Pulse Research, an independent polling company based in Portland, Ore., designed the questions and will compile the results.

The open-ended section allows readers to offer suggestions for how the newspaper might improve.

In addition to providing a service to the community's news source, survey participants will be in the running for a 10-day, 20-day or season pass to Steamboat Ski Area.

"We are fortunate that Steamboat Ski and Resort Corporation has partnered with us on this project," Larsen said. "All online survey participants will be entered to win one of three possible passes to the ski resort. I think that's pretty exciting."

The online survey is a follow-up to a telephone survey the Pilot & Today conducted this summer.

"Our telephone survey taught us that 68 percent of those polled in Routt County turn to a newspaper first as their media choice for community news and information as well as advertising information," Larsen said. "And, of those people, 97 percent are reading the Steamboat Pilot & Today and/or Steamboat Today.

"So, now that we know that exciting information, we want to know what we might do for our readers and advertisers to make our newspapers more useful and meaningful," she continued. "The best way to get that information is simple - just ask."

Comments

Brent Boyer 7 years, 2 months ago

RoxyDad: The link is at the upper right-hand side of our homepage. Thank you for participating.

Brent Boyer Editor, Steamboat Pilot & Today (970) 871-4221 bboyer@steamboatpilot.com

Carrie Requist 7 years, 2 months ago

I had to quit the survey after 15 minutes when it looked like it was still going to go on for a while. This survey is was too long and that "amount completed" meter at the bottom is incorrect (it jumps at the beginning and then doesn't move for the first dozen questions or so). I kept doing it as long as I had time, but there was no way to save and come back and with the meter being unreliable, I didn't know how much longer it had. Plus there was at least one typo in an early question (asked in the next 7? instead of the next 7 days?).

CaptainPossibility 7 years, 2 months ago

The meter worked fine for me, survey only took about half hour. Time well spent if it helps make the paper better and wins me a lift ticket! : )

Carrie Requist 7 years, 2 months ago

I think a half hour is a very long survey (I was expecting more 5-10 minutes). Guess you have a better possibility to win the lift ticket if people like me drop out of the survey.

dundalk 7 years, 2 months ago

Please return Ann Coulter to the Thursday OPED section so that the conservative base may enjoy her point of view.

thecondoguy1 7 years, 2 months ago

dundalk, hear hear on the Ann Coulter, one smart good thinking lady, lots of people can't take the truth....... OT, Ireland was better than expectations, I could go on and on but end with the same I think a lot of, what beautiful people, so sweet and kind, I wanted to hug everybody I met, I can't get over their goodness. such a beautiful place and love the "Smidicks". lots of luck at all you do....................

corduroy 7 years, 2 months ago

I quit the survey, after answering about the paper and local shopping it started to get a little bit too nosy about my spending habits and my planned spending. I assumed I'd have to enter my email at the end and that I'd get lots of spam about these products, so I decided to quit. If you really want to know how we feel about the paper, don't add all those personal questions about purchases, JUST ASK ABOUT THE PAPER!!

CaptainPossibility 7 years, 2 months ago

Corduroy??? Thats funny. It doesn't ask anything about email - well, I take that back. You can opt in to future surveys if you want. My guess is the paper is trying to figure out if it's serving its advertisers (or not). They do pay the bills you know. My advice is to definitely keep from finishing the survey - the less people that finish, the better chances for my ski pass! ha ha

zirkel 7 years, 2 months ago

Do you want our opinion about the Pilot and Today for quality purposes? Or are you seeking demographic and consumer habits solely for target advertising purposes?

OnTheBusGus 7 years, 2 months ago

That's funny spuk! I hiked to Ragnars with the dog a couple of weeks ago but they weren't open. Not to say that I was prepared to dine there anyway.

yampanite 7 years, 2 months ago

I seem to be lost because there is no link to the survey in the upper right hand corner.

zense 7 years, 2 months ago

Its obvious the Pilot's bottom line and advertiser's concerns are far more important than "...what we might do for readers...."

We Readers want relevant, useful and well written content, and more of it, or we don't bother to glance at the Pilot at all. I was recently impressed with the professionalism, depth and breadth of Vail Daily's paper, which covered National issues directly affecting Vail, such as Oil & Gas leasing. Start with basic rules of journalism: What, Who, Where, When, Why. After reading an entire article, we're usually left asking up to 3 of those questions. Also present at least TWO sides, if not more, of an issue rather than serving as the mouthpiece for the powerful. Your omissions are as influential as your inclusions. You present council issues with no history, context or meaningful debate. Your articles have the tone of rah-rah Steamboat, no matter what.

"Journalism is not just some consumer product like cornflakes or cars. At its best, it is a noble profession and a public service. It helps to right wrongs, it gives strength to the powerless, it informs and enlightens readers, viewers, and listeners about events outside their direct experience. But at its worst, journalism becomes the bait for the commercials. It distorts reality, inflames passions, reinforces stereotypes, marginalizes dissenting views, and functions as a mouthpiece for the powerful." -- Juan Gonzales, NY Daily News columnist, quoted in "The Exception to the Rulers", p 306 by Amy Goodman - a book that should be required reading for all your columnists! Another example of great investigative, well written journalism is "An Air That Kills.." by Andrew Schneider and David McCumber, or most articles written by the late, great Dee Richards.

dimwitiguess 7 years, 2 months ago

"But at its worst, journalism becomes the bait for the commercials. It distorts reality, inflames passions, reinforces stereotypes, marginalizes dissenting views, and functions as a mouthpiece for the powerful." -- Juan Gonzales, NY Daily News columnist, quoted in "The Exception to the Rulers", p 306 by Amy Goodman - a book that should be required reading for all your columnists!"

That comment about sums it (Pilot) up. We have a local RAG (to quote my friends), what do you expect? Believe it or not this paper portrays itself as a quality paper. Read it and you find it is a tabloid that is QUITE boring so it looks for anything to make into an issue or a battle to drum up readership. Even these blogs reflect the tabloid's triteness. Even its survey shows it true lack of concern for its readers.

80488mom 7 years, 2 months ago

The way the survey was promoted, "We want to know what you think", I thought it was about the issues that affect the residents of Routt County. I was a bit disappointed it was a marketing survey. I understand it is important the paper understands it's target market but felt that was a bit of a misrepresentation.

ijustlookhi 7 years, 2 months ago

I agree the Pilot is prety bad...wish Steamboat had a better paper...

Amy Harris 7 years, 2 months ago

The survey refers to "LaPougee" restaurant. Ha! Jamie Jenny would love that one...

OnTheBusGus 7 years, 2 months ago

Dos Amigos is on there too but LaPougee is funny! Couldn't sleep, took the survey. Not too bad but I am wondering about all the questions regarding my spending habits and if I plan to buy real estate or sell real estate in the future. hmm....