Former Steamboat Springs City Councilman Ken Brenner could announce his candidacy for a state Senate seat by the end of the week.

Photo by Brian Ray

Former councilman Brenner moves closer to state Senate run

— Former Steamboat Springs City Council president Ken Brenner is inching closer to a 2008 bid for state Senate.

Brenner announced Saturday at the ninth annual Backcountry Ball that he has filed the necessary paperwork with the Colorado Secretary of State's Office to run for the open Senate District 8 seat. The seat is being vacated by term-limited state Sen. Jack Taylor, R-Steamboat Springs.

Brenner said Sunday he plans to form a campaign committee and start fundraising immediately. He said he will talk with his family and supporters during the Thanksgiving holiday before making an official announcement - something he hopes to do before Christmas.

"Sometime after Thanksgiving we'll try to make a final decision about moving forward," Brenner said. "There are a lot of people I want to talk to both in other counties as well as supporters; it's just going to take me a little bit of time."

For now, Brenner said he hasn't enlisted any help with the campaign, but he has put together a fundraising list of past supporters.

In a press release to be sent out today, Brenner points to his lifelong involvement with Routt County and years of service with local government as strong points in his understanding of a developing Northwest Colorado.

"I believe that Northwest Colorado deserves a candidate who has lived here full time for over 50 years and understands rural Western values," Brenner writes in the release. Water and air quality, open space preservation, accessible health care, education and maintaining a strong local workforce are among the issues he highlights.

Brenner says he is a third-generation Routt County resident who grew up on a farm and has worked in construction, engineering, local government and medicine. He said he is aware of the challenges of maintaining adequate infrastructure in the face of growth.

"It's just really an amazing challenge that we're looking at, and I think we need someone who is very much aware of that," he said.

If or when Brenner announces his candidacy, he'll face a potential election opponent in state Rep. Al-White, R-Winter Park, who announced his candidacy in early September.

White was first elected in 2000, and has won his past three runs for Colorado House of Representatives District 57. In at least two of those elections, White won majorities in Routt County.

Senate District 8 includes all of Moffat, Routt, Jackson and Rio Blanco counties, as well as parts of Eagle and Garfield counties. White's current house district includes all or parts of Garfield, Grand, Jackson, Moffat, Rio Blanco and Routt counties.

On Sunday, White said he did eight fundraisers in 16 days to gather "thousands of dollars - it's a significant amount" that he said would be reported at the end of the quarter. In the House's next legislative session, White said he would work to push through beetle kill legislation that would try to find markets for dead timber.

"I am serving, Ken Brenner wants to serve," White said.

"I am doing the job. All he can talk about is what he wants to do, and I can talk about what I'm going to do."

Comments

yampagov 6 years, 5 months ago

Ken Brenner has been a disaster as a politician. He is one of the reasons the incumbent City Council lost the election. It would be a true shame to see him become a part of our state legislature.

letomayo 6 years, 5 months ago

Better than those who now say they represent us.

another_local 6 years, 5 months ago

sb, Who DO you actually support for local office?

ColoradoNative 6 years, 5 months ago

Al White has nothing to worry about from Brenner. Brenner's record in Steamboat speaks for itself. What a joke.

WZ4EVER 6 years, 5 months ago

Brenner's term on Council was self-serving and dishonest. The "sweep" that just elected a whole new Council can be blamed on his poor leadership. I am looking forward to working against his Senate run when or if that comes up.

Harvey Lyon 6 years, 5 months ago

Ken Brenner has been nothing but a dedicated public servant. His Colorado Ski Pass was for his tireless dedication to the US Ski Team and youth ski racing in general. It had nothing to do with City Council. He received it before and will likely receive it again.

It is not necessary for you to agree with his politics and vision for you to recognize how much time he has spent dealing with the (sometimes very mundane) issues of Steamboat Springs.

Get off your keyboard and get active in local politics.

stmbtisoutofcontrol 6 years, 5 months ago

I agree with WZ4EVER, "Brenner has proven to be dishonest and self-serving." It is too bad that he wants to be the representative from NW Colorado. He is not a good example.

yampagov 6 years, 5 months ago

I sure hope that Salazar realizes that Brenner will bring a negative vacuum into the Democratic ticket which is too bad. Like the new City Council, we need a change in the political landscape of NW Colorado. It is time to move on with new ideas.

digit1964 6 years, 5 months ago

Even after the a** Kicking Towney got this month, he could beat Brenner in a Senate race. For that matter, Delliger should be looking into this.

elphaba 6 years, 5 months ago

Can Ken bully his way into free golf and a free ski pass if he's a State Senator? How about free meals and free stays at the Brown Palace - this time paid by the good people of Colorado. Ahhh back to the life he's grown used to.

yampaman 6 years, 5 months ago

Now who is Cheryl Witt going to back in this one?

WZ4EVER 6 years, 5 months ago

I wonder how he is going to campaign around the district without the City's credit card? Bet the term limits and therefore losing the CML position really threw a wrench into those plans. Better get the fund raising machinery cranked up soon!

yampagov 6 years, 5 months ago

Maybe he can sell his Colorado ski pass to get started.

sbscitizen 6 years, 5 months ago

Just curious. What do you all know about Ken's public service? Not from the newspaper, not blog prattle, not hearsay, just what you know directly from speaking with him or attending a council meeting or interacting with him in some other way?

another_local 6 years, 5 months ago

I would be a real shame to have a candidate loose his home district by 70/30 like Ken would if he ran here. I hope he does not get on the ticket. Al White has done a good job anyway, so I guess the choice will not be hard.

stmbtisoutofcontrol 6 years, 5 months ago

I would be surprised if Brenner gets even 30% of the Yampa Valley vote. Remember, the City Council votes were just within the City. Brenner has also irritated quite a few County residents...

ventrygirl 6 years, 5 months ago

If an honest, honerable person like Jay Fetcher couldn't get elected, what chance does Ken have?

Harvey Lyon 6 years, 5 months ago

Dear Fellow Citizens,

The solution to affordable housing is building more houses of appropriate size and finish. The old adage supply and demand.

However, when one builds more houses and the supply goes up then the resale values on exisiting homes goes down.

Also, constructing more houses requires more land.....less open space for "that Steamboat Feeling".

Establishing policies that create a modicum of affordable (less expensive) housing is not a bad thing and protects current homeowners to a certain extent. These policies are only part of the solution but a step in the right direction.

The folks working on this, including Ken Brenner, The City Council, and many others, have put in a tremendous amount of energy and personal time.....largely uncompensated. If you have a well thought out and researched idea I'm sure they'd love to hear about it.

Government is very limited by what they can do in this Country with most power still remaining with "the people". Many towns/cities have gone before and no one has come up with a "perfect" solution. Folks that excel (or have good timing and great friends) will continue to acquire the most in demand products.

Of course...if you were a "B" student in HS and a "C" student in College you likely will not own a home within walking distance of the lifts.

Harvey Lyon 6 years, 5 months ago

I agree with you to a certain extent. We do need more apartments with tile or laminate counter tops and "American Standard" fixtures. But one needs to create incentive!!!

A builder looking for a 20% return on investment (ROI) will do better with a higher priced product as long as there is demand for such product.

This "thread" wasn't about about affordable housing...it was and is about Ken Brenner. Ken believes this also and while on the City Council spent a lot of time and effort on creating, as his authority allowed, situations where the "possibility" for constructing "good quality housing without all the trimmings" even if it meant some subsidies.

We don't want "the projects" of New York nor the sprawl of LA/DC but we have to recognize reality and consider zoning laws to permit. For instance....we have a lot of "verticle land" such as that below CMC and just East of the OTHS that would lend itself to "verticle apartment" development.

I'm a Republican and relatively conservative....very well traveled. Ken's a "flaming Democrat" but he is intelligent and thoughtful.....his ideas are pretty good and definately reflect a lot of thought.

We have tough decisions to make and all of them will require compromise.....politics aside...good decisions will require lots of thought, lots of vision, and a really tough skin to deal with those that wish to "open mouths before engaging brain".

I don't believe we are "constraining the upper end of the market" at all. No one buys or builds a home thinking "what happens if the fridge breaks" or "who do I call when I need my trees trimmed"....or " I need a plumber now"....

We are instituting policies...as best as any government can, local or otherwise...to make sure all levels of "society and service" can exist together....to each his own.

Ken has an "open mind" and is a very "real guy". I don't always agree with his politics...I prefer open market also recognize that many of my fellow Republicans place a bit too much emphasis on the "profit" card although I do see a lot of Democrats that also are welcoming the "profit card"....hell profit built the good old US. It makes for a pretty good balance remembering that each person is an individual and when we talk "Political Parties" we are talking stereotypes...not individuals.

I appreciate your involvement and concern......please go talk with Ken....he'll answer his own phone......then make up your mind.

Harvey Lyon 6 years, 5 months ago

On "Socialist Housing"

No one wants socialist housing and I'm sure our City Employees sure don't want to be bothered with owning "public" housing.

However, we want the land to remain open and the bike paths to remain our own...also don't want to pay $100 per hour for someone to "install our Christmas lights" or prep our softball fields.

I believe the Iron Horse is great for seasonal housing and think it a great recruiter for City seasonal employment....single folks who want a year or two in a great ski resort before getting serious about life. I think this idea was radical and visionary and "out on a limb"....I hope it works financially.

Your Navy, Air Force, Army, State, most Goverment Services provide "comfortable and secure" housing regardless of the location for their lower level employees. A Sailor assigned to San Francisco gets the same safe clean quality housing as if he were assigned to Mobile, AL or Dahran Saudi Arabia. It doesn't have granite or hardwood floors but it is really pretty good. Iron Horse isn't all that off the cuff.

Ken is a "forward thinker" and while he does drive a "lux" car it is always about 10 years removed from being "lux".....aka a 1985 BMW. He's not now nor has he every gotten "rich" from public service.

Go see Ken.....he's like you and all the Steambot Locals.

Harvey Lyon 6 years, 5 months ago

Dear sbvor,

I'm sorry you feel that way. Politics remains a business of compromise and "best fit". Please remember it takes less than 50% TO GET ELECTED. You may wish to consider employing your talent of "guiding" folks to the correct decision.

And no....I'm not Ken's PR rep....I just know him from Boy Scouts, Cub Scouts, camping, Ski Races.....family sort of things. I however do have a lot of experience in community issues and politics in places that have previously delt with the same issues and problems Steamboat now faces.

I'm not saying you should vote for him, although that would not be a terribly bad thing....but is way premature in 2007....I'm saying he works hard for what he believes in, is a great person....and is not far off the mark from what has worked for much more demanding civil strif.

Please think and don't just "react".

Harvey Lyon 6 years, 5 months ago

Dear sbvr,

You spend a lot of time , effort and thought. Lacking time I can not give the appropriate review to even decipher your language let alone your particular view on a subject. I would suggest an good course at CMC for "english and writing"...spelling would not hurt either.

Truthfully, you underscore my point earlier that those undereducated and lacking the ability to intelligently express themselves will always be subservient to those that applied themselves previously.

Please take your time and express yourself in clear english, french, german or italian. The language you speak, I'll admit, I'm quite ignorant of your dialect.

That said...I appreciate you time and opinion.....in politics opinions are facts. You are a strong willed person. Please get involved....research....walk, talk, discuss, spend the time to spell correctly....pursue folks to your side of the discussion.....you have leadership ability.....please develop those abilities.

Happy Thanksgiving....regardless we are truly blessed!

Token 6 years, 5 months ago

Hmmmm. One speaks with anger dripping from fangs; One speaks with respect for differing views. Hmmmmm, think I chose sides.

nofear 6 years, 4 months ago

sbvor-I think you should check your facts occasionally. It was Paul Strong, Kathy Connell and Loui Antonnuci that proudly created the Yampa Valley Housing Authority. You should listen to StirrinUpTrouble. Some of my faith has been restored in our community's ability to listen, learn and not use personal attacks as a fall back position when you can't discuss issues with constructive dialog.

And former_citizen, Ms. Sieverding and her eccentric idealogoy was one of the reasons she was sent to jail. I have to say my interactions with her and her over use of your tax dollars would never give me cause to use her as any kind of resource for information.

nofear 6 years, 4 months ago

sbvor- I am so happy that you can do your homework. As I said, it was Paul Strong, Kathy Connell and Loui Antonnuci's council that proudly created the Yampa Valley Housing Authority. I did not say Mr. Brenner didn't vote on it.

My question is when you read your minutes and attend the meetings and see a unanimous vote of the seven council members and 3 commissioners to create an IGA and a committee, how is it that you say "Comrade Brenner's greatest (and single most totalitarian, socialist, anti-democratic) folly was the creation of The Yampa Valley Housing Authority."? Your are obviously a wise, learned student of democracy, so you must realize your statement is rather um...STUPID. You ridiculously blame a single individual for an outcome it takes a BODY of government to legislate.

So more questions arise. Are you blathering on because you could never make the ridiculous statements in public that you make here or is it to cover up your inability to take part in your governmental process whether it is running for office, volunteering for a committee/commission or coming to meetings and making public comments because you can't hide in the shadows like you do in a blog?

Maybe it is because the culmination of your intelligence about your local politics and democratic process is your repeated comment that "NO amount of spin OR lipstick will EVER rehabilitate ..." Wow! That level of intelligence is difficult to comment on. No matter whether or not you agree with someone in public office, I don't think anyone deserves that kind of inane comment. They are the ones that made the effort to run for office. You are just here on the sidelines perfecting everyone but you.

nofear 6 years, 4 months ago

C'mon former_citizen, how did Kay Sieverding use your tax dollars? You know better than many how many FOIAs she filled out. Each one requiring time from city staff or attorneys or judges or district court personnel-all paid by the citizens' tax dollars. Each time effectively reprioritizing city needs and daily work to make her more important than any other community member. Maybe one of the reasons she does it?

Filing ridiculous numbers of lawsuits, tying up community resources and our judicial system should always be a reason for concern and a comment that using $10,000 dollars of the taxpayers' money is not a "disaster" shows a level of selfishness that makes me happy you are no longer a community member here.