Craig Mayor Don Jones gives a brief speech as part of Wal-Mart's Grand Opening on Wednesday morning in Craig. The ceremonies included speeches by Wal-Mart management, a presentation of the flag by the VFW, and a performance by the Moffat County High School band.

Photo by Hans Hallgren

Wal-Mart supercenter now open

Moffat County store offers competition

— Steamboat Springs' Wal-Mart has gained a super-sized competitor, of its own kind, with the recent opening of a new Wal-Mart SuperCenter in Craig.

The SuperCenter's target market includes all of Moffat County, as well as residents of Hayden and the rest of West Routt County - in other words, many previous customers of Wal-Mart's Steamboat location.

The Craig store, which plans to employ about 265 people, also has transferred some former Steamboat employees to the new SuperCenter, primarily those who already lived in the vicinity.

In addition to selling groceries and produce, the 99,611-square-foot SuperCenter, which opened Nov. 7, features a bakery, delicatessen, and seasonal lawn and garden center.

Wal-Mart officials declined to comment about whether sales at the Steamboat Springs' location are expected to suffer and would not reveal any future revenue projections, except to say that the Steamboat store is expected to remain successful.

"We expect to still do well," said Amy Wyatt-Moore, a spokeswoman at Wal-Mart's corporate headquarters in Bentonville, Ark. "We have a very strong customer base in Steamboat Springs."

City officials declined to release sales tax contributions from individual businesses, but sales tax clerk Christy Abney speculated that the winter season will make up for any lagging business at Steamboat's Wal-Mart.

"Ski season's coming up, and there's usually a boom from folks coming in who won't go out to Craig," Abney said.

Wal-Mart does not have a set policy regarding how many locations it can have for any geographic area or population, but instead examines market conditions at proposed sites and tries to match up its stores with customer demand, Wyatt-Moore said.

Before the Craig Wal-Mart's grand opening, the nearest SuperCenter to Steamboat Springs was more than 80 miles away in Avon.

With the new SuperCenter in Craig, Wal-Mart officials envision Steamboat-area consumers shopping at both locations.

"Hopefully they'll get the bulk of their groceries in Craig, and their weekly needs in Steamboat Springs," Wyatt-Moore said.

Comments

bubba 7 years, 1 month ago

I wish I had known that this area was socialist- here I was wasting my time going to school, earning money, saving to move here, the whole evil capitalist routine, when all I had to do was move here and generous folks like LetoMayo would have paid my way, just because I chose not to contribute my share to society.

bigdog 7 years, 1 month ago

FREE MARKET FREE MARKET FREE MARKET

The Socialist of Steamboat are going to be screaming for increases in property & sales tax more now than ever. I've got an idea, how about a surcharge on tourism and second home owners. That should about turn Steamboat a ghost town....

bubba 7 years, 1 month ago

You're right sickofitall, we should set up protectionist barriers like we did for GM and Ford, that sure helped them!

jeannie berger 7 years, 1 month ago

Just remember to factor in the cost of gas and the time it takes when you are traveling an hour or two to save a couple of bucks. How silly to drive two hours to Craig for groceries. What else could you accomplish or do in the two hours of travel time. With gas over 3 $ a gallon and not likely to get much cheaper any time soon I do my shopping here in the boat. No I am not wealthy. I am a single mom and have better things to do with my time than drive and fill the gas company pockets with $.

ColoradoNative 7 years, 1 month ago

Well time to start shipping steamboat tax dollars to Craig. This should really help our revenue budget crunch we are facing.

I'm officially done shopping at Safeway and City market. Thanks for ripping me off the last few years but you got my last dollar. Hello Craig here I come!

oofcboy 7 years, 1 month ago

home depot is next so good by steamboat lumber

ColoradoNative 7 years, 1 month ago

And explain to me why Steamboat lumber and Ace shouldn't go away?

Have you purchased anything there recently? You mean to tell me you like purchasing $20 cans of paint that would sell for about half of that at Home Depot?

Steamboat needs a home depot as desperately as we need other "formula" stores. Our tax dollars are being shipped elsewhere anyway so city council should get a clue now and start making corrections ASAP.

sickofitall 7 years, 1 month ago

Free market means doing business with communist China while the American dollar continues to decline.

letomayo 7 years, 1 month ago

Long live the socialist party! Bigdog, what are you? Afraid to allow any socialism ( translated "caring for others who are less fortunate") to help the little man, kids without health care, families without enough money to feed their own.

You know with freedom under the constitution, capitalism should come with a sense of responsibilty for those who don't have what we have. Capitalism in this country equals greed and the greediest are taking care of themselves. Hell look at the greed in this town. Isn't that what the whole race was about for city council. The greedy and those who want to protect the way of life for regular people in this town.

Sure, LET THE FREE MARKET DETERMINE STEAMBOAT'S FUTURE. The future that way will have forgotten what this town was really like, and bottom line is those liviing here 15 years from now won't give a damn. They'll be too busy living the good life and hobnobbing with the rest and bitching about traffic from the commuters and talking about the need to ride bikes or walk to work.

Harvey Lyon 7 years, 1 month ago

Folks, I think your vanity and self important attitude is blocking your good judgement. My guess is the Super Walmart was put in to supply/service the huge influx of oil/gas mining workers. Walmart's pretty smart when it comes to locating new stores.

Craig, Rifle, Gypsum, etc are all on a very large energy driven economic rebound that will likely eclipse Steamboat in the coming decades as an economic powerhouse.

We'll likely see much more competition also when it comes to things like State/Federal Grants.

steamboatsconscience 7 years, 1 month ago

stirrin very interesting take. shoulda been scooping up that cheap Craig land years ago could happen

jmemcse 7 years, 1 month ago

All I know is during the month of October the total of checks I wrote to City Market came to over $600.00 (food for a family of three). 2 days ago I bought a about a months worth of food at Walmart - one shopping cart stuffed full to overflowing - for $180.00.

That more than covers 2 hours of my time and 3 gallons of gas.

jeannie berger 7 years, 1 month ago

It's hard for me to imagine that the difference for the same groceries would be over 400$. If that is the case then you are one savvy shopper. I guess I will wait until the ads come out for the new Wally world and see if it is worth my time and gas.
FYI I also feed three and sometimes four during the month yet never spend 600$ a month for groceries at CM or SW.

dundalk 7 years, 1 month ago

TARGET, PIER ONE IMPORTS, BED, BATH & BEYOND, MACARONI GRILL AND THE PALM RESTAURANT. PLEASE!

twostroketerror 7 years, 1 month ago

Which has more value your soul or your dough? Wally worlds' evil. I hate them. I will go to the new Sup Cent, spend $200, save 4 or 5%, get 18 at YVGC (still open, unlike Haymaker, which is tax supported and snow free), and not even have to drive through downtown stmbt. That sucks, but is great.

80488mom 7 years, 1 month ago

They are getting ready to do the foundation for a Walgreens in Craig now. Craig is welcoming businesses that Steamboat shuts out. I know a lot of people who drive to Target in Silverthorne and many, many people who make the pilgrimage to Denver to shop. I'd welcome a drive to Craig in lieu of a drive to the Front Range.

Watcher 7 years, 1 month ago

I plan to carpool there with a friend or two.

calmdown 7 years, 1 month ago

Car pool to Wal-Mart, sounds like fun..... NOT....... There most be something better you can do with your time, but I must say if there was a Home Depot I would make the drive, and save alot of money over shopping at Ace. I bought a Krups Coffee pot at the Homesteader for 59.99 and Ace was selling the same coffee pot for 99.99. I wonder how much I could saved on Hardware??????

kirbyj123 7 years, 1 month ago

I work in the natural gas industry. First off we need to drill and frac all over moffat county. Next wal mart is great because there is some where u can go all hours of the night if u need something.

Ilike2dv8 7 years, 1 month ago

Letomayo - There is a hugh difference between caring for others and socialism... a big difference for most of us is that although we feel it's right to help those in need we would like to decide who we help, not have it forced on us by the government because they have demonstrated time and again that they SUCK at managing socio-economic issues.

There is a tremendous amount of generosity in this community and just because many don't believe in subsidizing every low to middle income person who wants to move to paradise that's hardly a reason to make that case that the recent election or Steamboat is full of greed. Please...

Since the first settlers hit this valley they worked hard to make a life here, now everyone wants a subsidized (if not free) ride. You should ask yourself this question: if Steamboat were truly affordable, how many people would be living here? I support helping people (especially teachers, firefighters, service workers, city and county employees, nurses, etc.) remain in the valley but the idea of helping any and everyone who wants to move here by subsidizing housing, health care, etc. is a ridiculous notion. As a county or city we could never afford it nor would most of us want 50,000 or more people living here (at least anytime soon).

A person who works in a larger city and cannot afford nor desires downtown hi-rise living typically moves to the suburbs... why is Steamboat so different. I'm tired of this entitlement attitude for those who are not willing to work as hard as the rest of us were and willing to make the difficult sacrifices we made to stay here. I came here with nothing more than a cheap pair of skis and worked three jobs to remain here and I wouldn't have had it any other way. Steamboat is a very special place and if it were too easy and financially accessible to everyone this valley would soon look like southern California.

Give me a break with your sharp words about "Capitalism" and "Free Market", it's what made our country the strongest and most desired place to immigrate in the world. Socialism is what took down the former USSR and countless other countries although I understand they may have some room for you if you fly today. You could bask in the luxury of zero health care, poor housing, black markets and complete lawlessness. Before you go off burning the flag and spitting on your community and the people in it, take a much larger look around. You may see that we are LUCKY to live here and although our town, state and country may not be perfect we are blessed to have what we have. If you look close enough you may even see some kindness and generosity, In fact my guess is you won't have to look very far.

mud 7 years ago

I am going to Craig today. I will find the heart. I will kill Mal-Mart.

ventrygirl 7 years, 1 month ago

Ilike2dv8-amen! Steamboat is far from perfect but I couldn't imagine living anywhere else!

nikobesti 7 years, 1 month ago

Driving from Steamboat to Craig is 2 hours? What? Took me 40 minutes the other day, driving the speed limit, with some moderate traffic. Two hours? Where do you live, Kremmling?

While we Craig residents are happy we have another option to City Market and Safeway, the thing we're most happy about is having an alternative to K-Mart. Their service was rock-bottom horrible and they deserve to go down.

ColoradoNative 7 years ago

Jester...That is the problem. The city just claimed a budge crunch yet we steamboat residents are shipping our tax dollars to other cities ie Craig because Steamboat doesn't have many options for locals to purchase the goods we need.

When is the last time any of you went downtown to buy something other than a cold beer? Sorry but I haven't needed any deer antler coat hangers or mink coats lately.

I could use some decent priced steaks or snow melt though.

80488mom 7 years, 1 month ago

Ilike2dsv8 - I also worked three jobs when I first moved to town. It would be impossible to afford anything now even working three jobs. I'm talking about buying a house. Just isn't going to happen. Maybe if you have two people working three jobs. I also love Steamboat but it certainly is no longer affordable.

Jason Miller 7 years, 1 month ago

I just buy online.I use to think steamboat needed some real stores.But i dont really care anymore.I buy from Banana Republic, BlueFly etc.It is easier that way and you can get some great deals

dogd 7 years ago

COLORADO NATIVE:

Please start putting an asterisk by the word NATIVE in your handle.

In the interest of sincere truth, could you please specify in your posts that you are a FRONT RANGE "COLORADO NATIVE" which makes you about as much a local native as you would be if you came here from NY.

Every freakin post of yours is designed to make Steamboat resemble your FRONT RANGE. I'm getting very sick of your very transparent longing to be back where you came from by making our unique place resemble your front range sensibilities.

wyowind 7 years ago

I get a kick out of reading about you all complaining about walmart in Craig... If steamboat was not so greedy and really cared about the local citizen by offering decent prices and services the local folks would not have to drive the 40 miles to craig, or to Target in Silverthorne Ha - I remember when Safeway first opened up on the west side of town and shortly there after Boys market burned to the ground and Safeway lowered its prices to support the community... imagine that... But that was before all the beautiful people moved to town..

techno_babble 7 years ago

Dang, retired, that's some great gas mileage!!

wickie 7 years ago

It really depends on what you buy. For what my family likes (grocery-wise), it all evens out. Stores run their specials and if Wal-Mart was running a great special and I had a friend going to "super" Wal-mart - yes, I would ask them to pick something up for me, but I doubt I would would a special trip. I am amazed at the number of people who take a shopping trip to "save money", yet don't count in the gas/travel expenses and sometimes it involves a hotel stay too. It's fine if it is a little get-away, but otherwise it is a good thing to support your neighbors in the local workforce...

Dave Ege 7 years ago

I will drive 110 miles round trip today and spend $5.00 in gas to go to Super Wally and Murdocks. I will spend 2 hours driving thru the most beautiful scenery in the world! I will save the $5.00 on 1 good quality flannel shirt. I Will buy 3. I will save $2.00 on 1 bag of feed for my horse (s) I will buy 10 bags. I will save $5.00 on 1 Steak. I will save $3.00 on 1 galllon of milk from the prices here in Oak Creek. I will not buy even the essentials from the store here (in O.C.) who encourages us to "buy from your local grocer", when the owner doesn't spend 1 dime in town. Except for some gas for his plow truck. He will spend 20 cents more per gallon of gas here than in Craig, or even Steamboat.? Why shouldn't I go for a drive with my wife and enjoy a couple hours of good conversation, and save untold $ oven Steamboat and/or Oak Creek?

mud 7 years ago

I didn't kill wal-mart...But I got some killer $5 DVDs and some wool underwear.