Kevin Nerney: Setting the story straight

It's time to set the story straight. Originally, when this alleged incident took place back in February 2007, the judge told me not to talk to anyone about the case. Some people took my silence as a sign of guilt. From the beginning I have professed my innocence. Finally, a jury of my peers concurred with a verdict of "not guilty."

Still there are a few doubters. Apparently, some of the doubters were sitting on City Council and decided to retry the case. Although this time, they stacked the deck. The entire proceedings were wrought with collusion. There are three branches of government in this country: legislative, executive and judicial. City Council falls under the legislative branch. The police fall under the executive branch. The "jury of my peers" comes under the judicial branch. How is it that City Council gets to play all three parts in this charade, and the assistant police chief gets to play executioner? It is no wonder the voting public cleaned house and is willing to start over.

I will reiterate my position. I am innocent of everything. I was railroaded. I am not delusional, in denial or any other psycho-babble you want to use as a label. If you listen to Towny Anderson's tirade, you would think I should be put into a padded cell. I may be crazy for being a small-business owner in this one-horse town, but I am not going to go away.

In conclusion, I would like to thank those who supported me through these difficult months, including those that may have been on the fence. As for the rest of you out there, I have succeeded quite well without you, thank you very much. The Jade Summit is still open, and the food is as good as ever. The service will remain friendly as it has always been, and I am pursuing my options for reviving the Pirate's Pub.

Kevin Nerney

Steamboat Springs

Comments

below_me 6 years, 5 months ago

Im sorry, but I am confused. Exactly what record did you set straight here? Other than bad mouthing the police and City Council, i really dont see much of a record of anything.

below_me 6 years, 5 months ago

actually I dont think you are allowed to call someone "scum"

CoJustice 6 years, 5 months ago

Complaining about duty of enforcement authorities following the law as mandated in state statutes are not arguable or debatable statements, they have the burden of doing their job.

The statement "activities offensive to senses of average citizen" have consequences associated with them.

Why don't you try and take corrective action, retrain employees, attend some classes and then reapply to authorities for reinstatement. Prove to the governing authorities you are up to the standards (required by the Division of Liquor/Tobacco Enforcement).

Don't like the statutes, unite the businesses, hire a lobbyist, change the law.

heron123 6 years, 5 months ago

WOW..., the reason the old city concil was not on your side was because they knew the history with the Jade Summit. Your liqor licence is a privlige and based on chracter. Please keep that in mind.

id04sp 6 years, 5 months ago

Knowitall,

Are there ads for these businesses in the Pilot?

That should answer your question.

Brent Boyer 6 years, 5 months ago

knowitall: As I've said before, personal attacks/name-calling and unproven accusations against others will not be tolerated on our Web site. If you have any questions about this or any other issue, please feel free to contact me.

Brent Boyer Editor, Steamboat Pilot & Today (970) 871-4221 bboyer@steamboatpilot.com

ColoradoNative 6 years, 5 months ago

I'm more concerned about an alleged drunk driving sheriff with a gun than I am a bar owner who may have served a drink to someone that wasn't of legal age. Is the city council getting involved with Wall's case also?

Doug Marsh 6 years, 5 months ago

Native, you must not have a wife, girlfriend or daughter. Otherwise you would be worried. This is Kevin's story.
I went up to a table in my bar late at night where three girls were sitting, and my back went out and I fell into one of the girl's chest. My bad. Girls thought it was on purpose because they heard no apology and heard other derogatory remarks. After I was arrested I claimed it was an accident and that "all three" girls must be mistakened. It comes down to who do you want to believe. If you listen to both stories, it becomes very obvious who is telling the truth. City Council didn't do anything wrong.

speakingup 6 years, 5 months ago

Native, you should know the facts before you comment. This was not about serving someone that wasn't of legal age, it was about sexual misconduct on the part of a bar owner towards an unwilling patron. I'm aware of many locals who avoid this bar, because, unfortunately, this kind of behavior seems to be all too common. For the sake of visitors to the city, we need to hold people such as Kevin Nerney responsible for their actions.

dimwitiguess 6 years, 5 months ago

Mr. Boyer,

I just got back two days ago from the sunny beaches of Mexico and heard about the elections.

This Nerney story was going on when I left. I am surprised, Mr. Boyer, that you are now taking a more active roll in deleting comments following all those very ruthless attacks from PSent or Mrs. Howell.

It only took you several months to cut her off. Why all of the sudden a more righteous newspaper? Will that change depending on your enemies and friends?

I don't necessarily care for any of that and sometimes KIA (knowitall) is way off base as far as I'm concerned, but I was really surprised at your blog here.

Really, Mr. Boyer, care to answer why Howell got a free ticket for months? I know, you already answered that. But KIA has a point about her comment.

"personal attacks/name-calling and unproven accusations against others will not be tolerated on our Web site." - now the election is over? Your actions are very easily read.

Have you really turned the page (pun intended) and REALLY decided to hold to your policy for everyone?

I think your sudden change of heart and point of view are questionable at best and border on underhanded and unethical, but you do know that at best i'm just a dimwitiguess.