Routt County Sheriff Gary Wall

Photo by Brian Ray

Routt County Sheriff Gary Wall

Special prosecutor likely

District attorney from Eagle County could handle Wall case

More on Wall

Read all stories related to Routt County Sheriff Gary Wall

— The 14th Judicial District is seeking a special prosecutor to handle the DUI case of Routt County Sheriff Gary Wall.

Assistant District Attorney Kerry St. James filed the motion for appointment of special prosecutor with the Routt County Court on Wednesday. If granted, Mark Hurlbert of the Fifth Judicial District would handle the prosecution of the case.

St. James said the appointment of a special prosecutor is required by law when a conflict may exist. According to the motion, "the 14th Judicial District Attorney's Office and the Routt County Sheriff's Office routinely cooperate in the prosecution of criminal cases. Public confidence in the judicial system would be enhanced by the prosecution of this case by a district attorney's office other than the 14th Judicial District."

The Fifth Judicial District includes Eagle, Summit, Lake and Clear Creek counties. Hurlbert has experience handling high-profile cases - he is best known for prosecuting the case against NBA star Kobe Bryant. Hurlbert did not immediately return a phone message left at his office Wednesday afternoon.

Wall is scheduled to appear in court at 8:30 a.m. Jan. 8, 2008, for an advisement hearing. Ron Smith, the Steamboat Springs attorney representing Wall, declined to comment about the case Wednesday.

Wall was in his unmarked county vehicle when he was pulled over and charged with DUI and prohibitive use of a weapon Saturday night.

Colorado State Patrol Capt. Brett Williams said Wall was heading west on U.S. Highway 40 near Walton Creek Road when Trooper Melissa Fowler passed him heading in the opposite direction. Williams said Fowler turned around and stopped Wall because he failed to dim his headlights. State law requires that drivers dim their headlights when approaching vehicles are 500 feet or closer.

"That's a common stop," Williams said Wednesday. "That's not a targeting stop."

Williams said he couldn't discuss the interaction between Wall and Trooper Fowler during the traffic stop. He also wouldn't say at what point Trooper Brett Hilling was called to the scene and his involvement during the traffic stop.

A Sheriff's Office employee provided Wall and his girlfriend a ride home. Williams said he didn't know the identity of that employee or whether he or she was on duty at the time.

Wall has declined to comment about the case other than to say his ability to drive was not impaired and that he didn't take any sobriety tests.

"I have said I didn't drink anything in excess that would have affected my ability to drive," Wall said Monday. "I certainly was not intoxicated."

RCSO policies

Sheriff's Office policies allow certain employees to use their vehicles when off-duty. The policy also permits those employees to have non-Sheriff's Office employees as passengers.

Wall hasn't said whether he consumed any alcoholic beverages Saturday night. The prohibitive use of a weapon charge was made because it is illegal to possess a weapon when under the influence of drugs or alcohol. It is not known whether Wall was wearing his firearm at the time of the traffic stop or whether it was simply in his sheriff's vehicle.

The State Patrol's investigation into the incident is complete, Williams said. The State Patrol's investigation reports will now be turned over to the District Attorney's Office.

The charges of DUI and prohibitive use of a weapon are Class 1 misdemeanors.

"A summons or arrest is basically an assessment of the charges," Williams said. "You're not guilty of anything at that point. That's up to the DA's Office and the courts."

Williams said he is confident his officers handled the stop appropriately.

"I have full faith in my troopers," he said.

The Sheriff's Office has launched an internal affairs investigation to determine whether Wall violated any policies or procedures. Sheriff's Office Investigator Ken Klinger said Wednesday he was still waiting for the reports from Colorado State Patrol. According to a Sheriff's Office policy, the internal affairs investigation must be completed within 30 days.

- To reach Brent Boyer call 871-4221

or e-mail bboyer@steamboatpilot.com

Comments

fkj86 6 years, 11 months ago

stompk- you are seriously misinformed. Given that neither of the two officers present that night have children here at all, it appears you are stalking someone else's kid. Also, don't you think that there would be some additional charges, such as impersonating a peace officer if he had indeed had someone stopped. He is not POST certified, that therefore legally unable to stop anyone.

SteamboatsSinking 6 years, 11 months ago

Will the tapes from the CSP's dashboard camera ever become available? Anybody know the rules about that?

stompk 6 years, 11 months ago

Just telling it like I heard it. People that know me, know I've been around for a long time.

I am a Desert Storm veteran. I want to believe in our government as much as the next person.

I told you the story. Now it's up to you.

I have nothing further to prove.

bcpow 6 years, 11 months ago

On the next episode of As the Boat SInks... lies, betrayal, and the liquored up highbeam mystery.

id04sp 6 years, 11 months ago

If all of this is true, then it is a monumental shame that a Democrat who could have made a difference in this community turned out to be as corrupt as the Republicans who ran the LE and justice system in this county for the previous decade or two.

The Special Prosecutor is a good idea. This is how it should be done for all of the local lawbreakers who serve the city, county and state. Let's just not stop with the Sheriff, whether or not he is guilty.

Personally, if a city cop found Wall drunk, he should have arrested him and taken him in for a BAC chemical test on the spot. Those who speak so vehemently in favor of the local LE community -- such as Ms. Dundalk -- should step back and realize that one of the officers we are supposed to support without question failed to do his sworn duty if, indeed, Sheriff Wall really was intoxicated.

If all of this is true, it merely demonstrates how totally f#####d up the local law enforcement and justice system really are. No wonder people are getting away with white collar crime in the millions of dollars while the cops who should be enforcing the laws are getting priced out of the real estate market because nobody will take the time to investigate the crooks and arrest them.

So, let's see, how are we doing in the LE and justice arena so far this year? Well, the guy who killed Lori Bases is getting a new trial because the court made errors in the case AFTER it had to be removed from Routt County due to adverse publicity surrounding the Routt County trial judge's personal life. Then, Judge Garrecht let another killer out of jail on a reduced bond a couple of weeks ago. Now, we've got a Sheriff accused of driving under the influence, and nobody in any of the three agencies involved bothered to gather chemical evidence which would easily demonstrate his innocence or guilt.

I think we need the Governor to call in the National Guard. Maybe some of those guys know how to run a police department.

jeep 6 years, 11 months ago

sko If the pilot won't cover this correctly, I will .

why don't you start your own news paper. then everyone would believe everything you say

Montana 6 years, 11 months ago

stompk - how old was this girl that told you the "real story" at her bus stop? Was the arresting officer you speak about a State Trooper? If not, what agency did the arresting officer work for? Do you not understand that the Sheriff is not a post certified officer (e.g. he has no authority by the state of Colorado to even make a traffic stop or write a ticket)? If as you say, from your "girl waiting for the bus" source, the Sheriff did have somebody pulled over and the Sheriff was writing a ticket; then where is the uproar over that? The Sheriff can't do those things, but yet I've heard nothing (common sense people would think that the person who was pulled over by the Sheriff would be all over this). Sorry stompk, your story (which came from the girl who heard it from her daddy) doesn't sound the least bit credible.

Montana 6 years, 11 months ago

stompk - you didn't tell us anything. You said that the arresting officer's daughter told you the story at her bus stop (the Sheriff had somebody pulled over, was drunk, and was issuing a ticket). That doesn't tell me anything. You need to clarify a lot of things. Was the arresting officer that you speak of from the State Patrol or another agency? Apparently, the 2 State Trooper's on scene and handling the stop don't have kids that would be waiting for the bus. Stompk, you have a lot to prove about this so called story you heard from the girl waiting for her bus.

You are being misled and you are spouting off things that do not make sense. You also fail to realize, and I don't know how because it's common sense, that the Sheriff can't pull people over and issue tickets - he's not certified by the state of Colorado to do so. In other words stompk, he is not a police officer since he hasn't been certified. When are you going to understand that? I beg of you not to post your "story from the little girl at the bus stop" anymore. You sound foolish.

thecondoguy1 6 years, 11 months ago

yeow, is there any way we can have a sheriff that KEEPS the peace????????????????

stompk 6 years, 11 months ago

Well, they just called me, to check on the story, so we'll see.

stompk 6 years, 11 months ago

OK, this has gone far enough.

I heard a completely different story than what the cops are telling you from one of the arresting officers family members. This family member accidently told us, not realizing the cops were going to lie.

If the pilot won't cover this correctly, I will. This will not go away. They are lying outright to the public. This is unnacceptable.

Those who are lying, to protect Wall and CSP, need to step forward, or I will expose the source, and then you won't be able to keep you family out of it. Do the right thing now!

To the arresting officer:

Your daughter accidently told us the story at the bus stop the other morning.

The story was,

"Sherriff Wall was drunk, and was ticketing someone, when my Dad was called in and he arrested him"

I'm sorry to reveal this source, but this has gone on for three days, and the truth is so far from reality it's scary.

What's worse, is CSP is in on it. And who know who else.

The public deserves the truth.

We should call for and independant outside investigation.

Kerry should not be able to call up one of his buddies, to prosecute this. IMO

This is a conspiracy.

merkinwsp 6 years, 11 months ago

^ ^^^ ^^^^^^^^^^ ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ WOW, neat-o!

... "on the job"...

Brent Boyer 6 years, 11 months ago

SteamboatSinking: Good question. The Pilot & Today filed Freedom of Information Act and Colorado Open Records requests Wednesday morning for all documents related to the traffic stop, including any video footage created by CSP in-car cameras and audio tapes from any communications made through dispatch about and during the traffic stop. We'll let you know as soon as we receive a response to our requests. At this point, State Patrol is telling us that much of that information is protected because it's evidentiary and could be used in a court of law.

Brent Boyer Editor, Steamboat Pilot & Today (970) 871-4221 bboyer@steamboatpilot.com

stompk 6 years, 11 months ago

A little excerpt from a pdf about the Storm Peak Laboratory.

"Storm Peak Laboratory (SPL) originated as an observing facility during the National Science Foundation (NSF) sponsored Colorado Orographic Seeding Experiment (COSE) centered on the Park Range of northwestern Colorado. This location was carefully chosen for the project by a large team of researchers from several universities, the National Center for Atmospheric Research (NCAR) and the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA) led by the Principal Investigator, Prof. Lewis Grant at the Department of Atmospheric Science, Colorado State University (CSU). Surface meso-nets, radars and aircraft were used to characterize storm systems impinging on the mountains to the east of the Yampa and Elk River Valleys. This was in the heyday of weather modification research. The grant funding the project was the largest single research grant ever awarded a faculty member at CSU up to that time. " Source http://www.das.dri.edu/SPL2006_report.pdf

twostroketerror 6 years, 11 months ago

Way to go Brett! The speculation, mis-information, slander and lies are getting a little deep. But can you resist further articles until there are some actual facts?

CoJustice 6 years, 11 months ago

Brent: The problem your going to have is getting the internal investigation report. These records are handled differently, and Wall will use them as a technique of not releasing any information.

Wall may be thinking, No proof No problem, however a not guilty does not mean innocent, it merely means not enough evidence to convict. A tactic well known by Wall.

katrinkakelly 6 years, 11 months ago

Thought you all knew? Wall is a "Repeat Offender"!

katrinkakelly 6 years, 11 months ago

Originally, I stood up for this guy in previous posts during his election. Then I had a problem in the county........and he never responded to several of us over a terrible identity theft issue. I admit that I was not as well informed of Mr Wall's background as I thought I was. We had hoped his election was a change for the better. NOT! SO!

MR Wall, you have manipulated the system one time to many.

kathleeensullivan 6 years, 11 months ago

Everyone should notice Walls comment: "I was not intoxicated." He never said he wasn't drinking. If he did not take any roadside tests, it's an automatic GO TO JAIL, not "oh we'll let a sober driver take you home". AND an automatic loose your license for at least 1 year. Special treatment..... special prosecutor.....? How'd he get elected anyway? I haven't met ANYONE who voted FOR him!

stompk 6 years, 11 months ago

Brent, I talked to a good friend of mine today, and seems to stand up for you. I trust this person, so I guess I owe you an apology.

Maybe I wasn't so nice when I visited you at the pilot today.

This as you know, is not made up. Weather all the fact come out true or not, only time can tell.

My friend assured me, that you hold the publics best interest at hand.

I hope this it right.

MrSteamboat 6 years, 11 months ago

I couldn't help but notice the distinct contradiction between the Sunday quote: "I did not consume anything that would have affected my ability to drive," Wall said Sunday when reached on his cell phone. And the statement in this article: "I have said I didn't drink anything in excess that would have affected my ability to drive," Wall said Monday.

In my mind these statements are worlds apart. The contradiction from "none" to "not too much" renders one or both false.

Wall was further quoted as saying "he didn't take any sobriety tests."

This is of course an action inconsistent with what you would expect a sober, knowledgeable law enforcement agent to make.

Now this is where I have to speculate a bit, and I wish I had this information first hand. Does not taking any sobriety tests include, as we expect, a field sobriety test, and also a breathalyzer and or blood test?

It is incomprehensible that an officer suspecting and ticketing a DUI would release a suspect prior to gaining results from one or two of these tests as they would serve as the evidence for the charge. I would like to extend the benefit of the doubt that the State Patrol officer was not derelict in collecting this evidence. The report has been concluded, and Williams, the State Patrol supervisor, has claimed confidence in the officers adherence to the proper procedures, which must leave only the option that ALL sobriety tests were refused by Wall. If indeed these sobriety tests were refused, it is my understanding that Walls' drivers' license would be forfeit period. It is within this very narrow scope of these circumstances that the events as reported could make sense and exist above board.
Now, if this scenario bears out, Mr. Wall may lose his license for a year, in exchange for sidestepping a possible DUI conviction. Which of course may be a clever trade. However, I wonder if a special prosecutor will have a higher expectation of our Sheriff's propriety. By Walls' refusal to deliver a blood or breathalyzer reading as evidence (against him), I'm wondering if the sworn testimony of 2 State Patrol Officers testifying presumably, that he did in fact appear intoxicated, (otherwise why would they have issued a summons) in itself be enough to cook his goose? It should be interesting to see this unfold. I remain hopeful that no favoritism was shown. If by evidence not available to us now it proves out that Wall was not intoxicated, as he states, something good may still come from this experience. Mr. Wall will have a first hand appreciation of how damaging it is for innocents to be unjustly accused by law enforcement persons and humiliated in the paper. This new empathy might lead to more thoughtful enforcement.

stompk 6 years, 11 months ago

I would like to point folks to the article in the Pilot http://www.steamboatpilot.com/news/20...

"Wasn't it just recently that a CSP trooper totaled a cruiser when he rear-ended a log truck on Rabbit Ears Pass? After a full and complete "investigation" by the Colorado State Patrol, the trooper escaped any citation."

The article is about the illegal U-Turn that the CSP that cited Wall with DUI, supposedly did.

Long line of Cop cases that are promised to get "looked into", that never do.

What happens, is favors are owed. When one cop screws up, and another covers for them, there is a favor owed.

Gary Wall, in my opinion, used one of his favors in this case.

People should demand the Sherriffs duty roster for 10/27/07.

I'd be willing to bet Wall was on duty, when he was cited for DUI.

My guess is, he went to the party, and his shift started at 10pm.

He had someone pulled over, probably mad that he had to work, and drunk, and whomever he had pulled over saw that he was drunk, and called the cops on him.

Since he was in town, Steamboat Police, where called.

The state trooper became involved, because people wouldn't question why a State Trooper would let him go as much, as opposed to a city cop.

Also, the State Trooper owed Wall a favor, since CSP has "gotten away" with a couple lately.

This is my opinion, not fact.

I believe the daughter of the Steamboat cop, more than I believe the CSP.

No CSP in their right mind would cite a cop for DUI, and then let him go.

Why cite him at all?

Also, as a good friend of mine pointed out yesterday,

people on the inside, that know Wall, have suspected for a long time, the he is Mafia.

I won't get into why the Mafia would be infiltrated into Steamboat right now, the focus should be to get Wall out.

All I will say is.

Google "Storm Peak Laboratory Particle List"

Malcolm_Reynolds 6 years, 11 months ago

"As The Sheriff of Steamboat Springs Turns" The citizens of Steamboat should be proud, because of your votes we are stuck with him. Thank you for disgracing the rest of the county citizens.

stompk 6 years, 11 months ago

So I will tell you folks, yesterday, after I posted the first comments in this article, my cable went down. I took my wireless laptop to McDonalds, to use their wireless, which was down.

While I was at McDonalds, a cops drove through the parking lot.

Everywhere I went yesterday there was someone following me. It was a classic passoff operation. No fewer than 10 cars involved.

I know, because I doubled back several times, suprising them. I love to see em sweat.

I went and spoke directly with Brent yesterday.

Brent, the only thing I would say, is that your friend in the police dept is "too easily" ignoring the girls statement.

It was nice to meet you though.

Thanks for explaining the fact the the Pilot is owned by World Press, a large newspaper owner.

No offense to Brent, but I miss the days of Chuck Leckenby. (sp?) I went to school with his daughter, Lisa.

I used to fold papers at the old pilot, on Saturdays back in the 70's.

Steamboat, is strategically critical to the Government, because of two things.

One, is the National Cloud Seeding program

which was started in 1979, and was supposed to be a 6 week program, was so successful, they started a new op called SUCCESS. The reason it was successful, was because the military saw a way to test airborne weapon systems.

What the scientists use to seed the clouds is Silver Iodide. The water molecule needs some form of "dust" to attach to. Other metal are used too, such as Aluminum Oxide, on the nanoparticle level.

Silver, in the form of a quarter, is not harmful. Silver nanoparticles, mixed with salt, called Silver Iodide, is harmful to humans, animals, plants.

If your sick, get a hair follicle checked for heavy metal poisoning first. Then check for other things. I'm talking about Cancer, lung issues, mental issues, chronic fatigue, immune difficiency problems, etc.

My Dad died from Cancer in 1982, three years after they started the spraying program.

Beetlekill, IMO, is the beetles taking advantage of sick trees. The trees are sick, because the air is bad.

Don't believe our Government would do that? Check out http://www.newstarget.com/022158.html

The Cloud Seeding program has gone out of control. It is now a worldwide event, called "Chemtrails". And time is running out. People are greedy. People, can be evil. Powerful people, can, and do lie.

Like Mr. Wall.

p.s. Montana. They don't call me Stomp for nothing. Don't call me a fool again.

localthinker 6 years, 11 months ago

Stomp, did you look up and see black helicopter that was coordinating the surveillance? Actually it wan't black, it was one of those new fangled ones, on loan from the british government, with the attached projector that projects a background image on the viewed side, giving the impression that it is not there....

stompk 6 years, 11 months ago

Malcolm, why are you focusing on the citizens?

They aren't the ones that broke the law.

Gary Wall, who fooled the citizens, is the one that broke the law.

Gary Wall, and those who are covering for him, are the disgrace to the county, and country.

stompk 6 years, 11 months ago

localthinker, actually, I have a picture of a real spy helicopter, flying above the Grand Hotel. Notice how low they are. They were following me because I was taking photographs of the incredible haze and contrails we had this summer. See my website www.steamboatstuff.com on the editorial page. I You will also find an interesting story about Bill The Homeless Man.

That is why I am here exposing the truth.

ranch76 6 years, 11 months ago

No hearing until Jan.8, 2008. Is this so Wall has time to get his certification!?

seabirth 6 years, 11 months ago

bus stop confessionals, homeless men, survailance (pure paranoia), spy helicopters, cloud seeding causing cancer, beetle kill conspiracy.... c'mon give us some more.

gary wall on a traffic stop.... just more delusions. stompk, there are medications to make the voices go away.

steamboatsconscience 6 years, 11 months ago

Alright! Steamboat has its own Tinfoil brigade! Lets have a parade!

Brian Watterson 6 years, 11 months ago

Malcolm has a point. Look what can happen when people blindly vote along a party line, without giving servious consideration of a candidate's experience and background.

Now pass me some tinfoil !

katrinkakelly 6 years, 11 months ago

OOOPS!! the truth hurts, gotta remove those comments!

Actually Gary needs to wait until January after the HOLIDAYS!!!!!

Try not to scew up on Thanksgiving this year, Gary. The bartender at the Cantina is waiting for you.

steamboatsconscience 6 years, 11 months ago

stomp I checked with my Uncle Guido and cousins Sal and Vincenzo (no last names please) in NYC and they said " Dis guy Wall, he no worka for us, he ain't even Siciliano. Sounds lika real gogootz to me." My sources at the CFR and the Illuminati said "no comment" And by the way that helicopter passed over my house yesterday and dropped a load of pine beetles on me. They are pretty tasty, try some.

stompk 6 years, 11 months ago

Well, I can see who the friends of Gary Wall are.

Keep attacking my character. That is how we find

out who the players are. You can laugh

and joke, but I find nothing funny about

it.

But I'm sure ya'll knew the real purpose of Storm Peak Lab.

Didn't need Barney Fife to tell you, right?

Hey steamboatconscience,

I was reading through your posts, and I saw this one;

"Anybody driven in Calif? Ive had idiots pass me on the right at 65 when I was in the right lane, meaning they were on the shoulder. That said, rudeness in this town has reached unprecedented heights, guess its due to the "ME FIRST" mentality of the entire country. Ive worn out my middle finger on account of this."

I was just wondering what part of the "ME FIRST" I'm doing to warrant your proverbial "middle finger"?

There are a lot of people out there watching this go down. And more on my side than you would think.

Butt go on.

Gary Out, Gary Out! GO, GO!

steamboatsconscience 6 years, 11 months ago

stomp Chill dude I went to your website and read quite a bit, you have to admit that you are a bit on the fringe and by living there you will be taking heat. That said I'm not giving you the finger, I'm just pokin fun at you! If you can dish it, you certainly can take it. PS I'm flattered you took the time to read my posts, notice they are concise and to the point.

steamboatsconscience 6 years, 11 months ago

of course I live here And I really did have that helicopter fly over my house yesterday

Montana 6 years, 11 months ago

Stompk - I do believe you just threatened me on a public forum. Let me refresh your memory, "They don't call me stomp for nothing. Don't call me a fool again." Are you trying to scare me, because it worked and I'm terrified. Please don't "stomp" me stompk. What's with the spy helicopter crap and being followed by no less than 10 different cars? Do you really think you're that important or are you watching too much t.v. and spending too much time on the computer - probably all of the above. Your theory on the "great Sheriff cover-up" is bogus and foolish, you obviously like to make idle threats on a public forum, and you seem to be off of your meds. Those are my opinions and you sir, are entitled to yours. Free speech is a wonderful thing, but don't threaten people for it. I could have called you other, more terrible things, but I feel that is inappropriate. Relax stompk, being called foolish isn't the end of the world - or is it?

stompk 6 years, 11 months ago

Your right Montana. I apologize. I'm a bit on edge.

stompk 6 years, 11 months ago

Montana, I would like to point out your comment in the article a year ago when Wall was running, and claimed;

"I have been P.O.S.T.-certified and will enjoy the two-week refresher course (or will simply take the test). I am excited about the challenges facing me as sheriff."

If you don't remember, your response was

"It annoys me that a man like this has the nerve to want to protect me..... from himself. I will try not to attend any dinner parties where he is known to drink enough to become even more arrogant and make an a** of himself."

stompk 6 years, 11 months ago

but your kinda used to making nasty comments, aren't you.

A couple of your nicer ones;

"Again, wow!, poo-dog is one weirdo. Poo, not only did you lie and twist hmmm's words into some sort of sick fantasy you harbor in that weak mind of yours; but now you're sitting around with your friends (equally weird I'm sure, if not more so) and laughing about the exact lies you conjured up."

"boodog says--- I have witnessed several discussions in town in recent weeks where concern has been expressed that local LE has been using this site via #s to smear Wall.

Smoking some reefer there, pooh bear?

You WITNESSED several discussions shortly after your hallucinogen kicked in, huh? Recently? I think you are wrong there, dogpoop. The Rainbow Family Gathering was way back in late June, early July. Much has gone on since then."

Boo-dog is critical of the police.

I would venture to guess that Montana may have a modus operandi.

You seem like a real nice person.

stompk 6 years, 11 months ago

I was wondering why Kerry St. James would appoint someone from the fifth district, IE Eagle County/Vail

"As the police chief of Vail, I was able to recruit qualified people who wanted to serve as well as protect."

Yeah, there's no cover up here.

gap 6 years, 11 months ago

You all are missing the point. I am a former Deputy Sheriff, (Not here thank God) where I worked you would be fired for going into a bar off duty. We were not allowed into a place that served drinks. Why? Because of the image it showed the public. Even if you were to drink a coke people would assume it was mixed!! Gary as the Chief law enforcement officer in this county chose to put himself in that situation. He clearly drank alcohol just not enough to be impaired. (Same thing every DUI stop says) Gary chose to put other Law Enforcment Officers into a very difficult situation. Bravo to them for doing there jobs. Even when they knew they would be attacked. Gary chose to embarrass his department, himself and this County. If you don't put yourself in that spot nothing happens. Gary also could have ended it, if he were not drunk by taking the test. But after years of defending the "Bad Guy" he knows it is harder to prove by refusing. Gary is not a dumb man just a selfish one. Gary has shamed this county because of a drink! One that was more important to him than this County! It is to bad he is so selfish that instead of standing up like a man, he will drag this county through the mud.

CoJustice 6 years, 11 months ago

The commissioners should give one of two choices.

1. Cooperate in an investigation conducted by the Colorado Bureau of Investigation (CBI). State agency and neutral party.
  2. Undergo a medical evaluation.

Pros: 1. Independent investigation by professional law enforcement office. 2. Offers protection (HIPPA) if a medical condition is presented.

Cons: Fear of international information and CBI background runs. Supremacy attitude comes to an end.

stompk 6 years, 11 months ago

I think in order to gain back the trust of the citizens,

the city, and county, and state, should all take a

one time, mandatory drug test, where the result are

shown to the public, and the test is done by an outside

agency.

I have heard, that there is a rampant drug problem amongst some of the force.

The drug screen would put this rumor to rest, and instill some confidence back into the honesty of the police force.

Don't forget, we've had news lately like the cop that tried to pick up a little girl at the gas station.

If things like this are happening, that get caught, what is happening, that doesn't get caught, or buried in the "internal investigation" reports?

I mean, jeez, one has to take a drug test to work at the Sinclair.

The police are always in amongst the drugs. Temptation, is a tempting for them as anyone else.

Sometimes, I have sympathy for the cops. Their job is tough, and they are under a lot of scrutiny at all times.

But they are here to protect, and serve the citizens. And they chose their carreer.

The thing is, they have guns, and the majority of the civilian don't, or at least don't have them on them for self protection.

So we need to trust the cops. That trust, has badly been broken, thanks to Mr. Wall, and his arrogance.

I mean, look at meth. The stuff is everywhere. And no wonder people commit crimes on it. It is horrible crap. Devils dust.

Guess who invented it. You got it. Our government. To keep soldiers awake.

My question is, has the government forgot, who it serves?

One more thought.

What happened to the cop that everyone in town knew, and everyone loved because they knew he or she was the most ethical, morally incorrupt citizen in town?

Why is there an alarming amount of unmarked brand new cop cars, with cops in them, talking on their cellphones everywhere they go.

Can't they use a hands free dash communications system or something? And why so many unmarked. Kinda sneaky, IMO.

Secrets breed mistrust. Just look at the Masons.

dundalk 6 years, 11 months ago

"Sheriff's Office policies also cover the use of alcohol by off-duty personnel. According to the "Code of Conduct" policy: "1. Employees, while off duty, shall refrain from consuming alcoholic beverages to the extent that the consumption results in behavior which tends to discredit the Sheriff's Office or renders them unfit to report for the next tour of duty; 2. Employees shall not publicly consume alcoholic beverages wearing any apparel identifying them as Sheriff's employee; 3. Officers shall not wear any type of firearm while consuming alcoholic beverages."

So, when several of us witnessed Bustos drinking at the Search & Rescue fundraiser, displaying his gun and badge while knocking down alcohol, what part of the RCSO policies was he adhering to? When Wall was belly up at the bar at the same event, what policies was he applying?

Having Bustos involved in any "investigation" is like one sly fox investigating another fox; both have feathers in their mouths and the hen house door is open.

Stompk: I am not sure how to take you? That same heli flew over my home the other day. Next thing you know, my dogs started chasing their tails

Ms_E_Bronte 6 years, 11 months ago

Good morning, dundalk -- are you sure these are the current SO code of conduct policies - i.e., pre-Wall or after Wall (would have used "post" but Wall is not yet POST certified and wouldn't want to confuse anyone!). Perhaps as we speak they're being revised! Is he considered an "employee" or just an elected official in this case? Bet something like this comes up in his defense. What about impersonating an officer -- did he actually have his gun and badge with him? And, can he carry a badge if he's not POST certified?

Written complaint to the DA's(?)office or County Commissioners(?) might be a good idea on the S&R fundraiser. Just some thoughs.

dundalk 6 years, 11 months ago

Ms. Bronte:

I copied and pasted the quote from this article within the Pilot. Who knows if they are current or not. Wall is so secretive about everything.

We saw Bustos with the gun, badge and beer; Wall just had a drink in his hand at the fundraiser.

Thank you for the thoughts.

stompk 6 years, 11 months ago

The reason I take such offense to being called a fool, is because the bible states, that a fool is someone who is not pleasing God.

Sometimes I forget that not all people know this, and so calling someone a fool is not that offensive.

stompk 6 years, 11 months ago

dundalk, I followed the helicopter tail number, and found that it is registered to a JBD Enterprises Inc. owned by Jim Boyle. The location is at the US Bank Center in Eugene, OR.

The US Bank Center isn't even owned by US Bank any more, and recently sold for $9.5 million.

There is no other information about JBD Enterprises Inc. other than the fact that there is a total of 29 of this type of helicopter registered in the US, and JBD Enterprises Inc. owns two of them.

The helicopter is a two engine, 7 seater, set up with high tech camera equipment, and ground penetrating radar. That may be why your dog was chasing it's tail.

I have seen four seperate type of helicopter in the area this summer.

The one I'm talking about, a black military style (I have a pic), a white open canopy (I have a pic, I think sightseeing) and one that was putting up ski area stuff.

Interesting note. There is a James Boyle that is heavy into gold in the Clear Creek area. Don't know if there is a connection.

Heavy metals are extra valuable now. Silver Iodide isn't cheap to make.

id04sp 6 years, 11 months ago

Stompk,

Okay, you're obviously trying to make people think you are me, or that I'm you, or whatever. There are too many common threads in your recent posts to think anything else.

You are right that there is corruption in government everywhere, including locally. It was common knowledge a few years back that Steamboat was built up by kids of the 60s who trafficked in drugs and put the profits into real estate. At least one, or both, of the local law enforcement agencies had officers who were active participants in the scheme. Isn't it ironic that, now, honest police officers are priced out of the market? Ironic, yes, but not surprising.

The simple honest truth is that you cannot fight corruption in Routt County, or even in the whole state of Colorado, because too many of the people in control have too much to lose if all the facts came into public view. Mainly, we would have politicians, police officers, judges and scores of attorneys "outed" for drug trafficking and tax evasion.

Regardless of how outraged I am over this situation, that's how it is. One person cannot fight it. I am going to tell myself that the appreciation of a home from $170,000 to more than $500,000 in less than ten years is ample compensation for my own victimization by the justice system and corrupt attorneys, and let it go at that. The people who robbed me made money, but in the long run, so did I. My money was worth more in the hands of crooks in Routt County than it was in stocks or the bank somewhere else, and one of these days I'm going to cash out and go to a place where I can live a pretty nice life on the appreciated value of my home.

As for our military service, here's the truth. The people who stayed home and got rich trafficking in drugs think we're suckers. We did the heavy hauling and they sat back and profited from our sacrifices. That's how evil works. They have no conscience or regret.

This thread was about a special prosecutor for Gary Wall. It still remains to be seen if he will be prosecuted for the DUI incident, and he's still innocent until proven guilty. The shame of the whole thing is that the revelations of Wall and Bustos going around armed while drinking in public absolutely destroy their own credibility in the law enforcement community. So, what's our ultimate choice? Republican Nazis who let peple with money get away with robbery and white collar crime, or Democratic buffoons who are five or ten times more dangerous than Barney Fyfe (because he only had ONE bullet).

The best way to proceed under current conditions is to (1) avoid all contact with the authorities, (2) relocate to an area with low housing prices and a moderate climate due to rising energy prices and (3) keep your head down. Being in the wrong place at the wrong time is the thing to avoid. Routt County is the wrong place, and this is the wrong time.

Hey, will you be on Phobos next month?

Klaatu

dundalk 6 years, 11 months ago

Stompk:

I have a few friends here who own and fly helicopters for fun and travel. One looks like the mystery copter. There are also several flights we are arrange through the ED for patients going to other trauma centers. its not uncommon to see them weekly.

There is also someone who comes over from Walden to do his grocery shopping in his copter.

Put away the spy books and take a nice vacation - perhaps somewhere with restricted airspace.

stompk 6 years, 11 months ago

I told everyone, that Wall was in his County vehicle, before the information was released. No one believed me, until the Pilot printed it, because a Fox News cast backed my information.

Now why would Wall drive his County vehicle to a party? Is he that arrogant. Maybe.

Dundalk, if you have a few friends that own and fly helicopters, you must be hanging out with the incredibly rich.

They aren't cheap to own and maintain.

Matthew Stoddard 6 years, 11 months ago

Stomp- Wall drives his county vehicle pretty much everywhere. It's part of his "policies" that led Bustos to take his County vehicle to Vernal and crash it. He drives the County vehicle so he doesn't pay for gas or upkeep on his POV.

I just found this.

"ROUTT COUNTY 9NEWS has confirmed Sheriff Gary Wall was arrested Saturday night on suspicion of DUI.

The Routt County Sheriff's Office says troopers with the Colorado State Patrol stopped Wall around 10:15 p.m. for failure to dim his headlights. Wall was then issued a summons and released for suspicion of driving under the influence of alcohol, according to the sheriff's office. "

9NEWS says Wall was arrested. Confirmed.

Yet the Sheriff's Office says Wall was issues a summons and released.

Either 9NEWS is reporting wrong, or the Sheriffs Office is keeping mum about something.

There is just something wrong here. Maybe Brent can get to the bottom of the 9NEWS report.

Matthew Stoddard 6 years, 11 months ago

From my talks with Brent the other day, they've already filed the FOI Act paperwork to find the real happenings.

stompk 6 years, 11 months ago

I would just ask, that people look through what I have posted, and read it carefully, before attacking my character and insisting I need a vacation.

I know I need a vacation. And I'm going to take one soon.

Look up Cloud Seeding, Mt. Zirkel "Airbase".

Try to find Three Forks Ranch on Google Earth.

Silver Iodide Toxicity.

I did about 2 yrs research, before telling anyone a thing.

Does anyone know about the missing $6.5 trillion that Leo Wanta was supposed to have, to pay off our national debt, but the Federal Reserve (private, for profit business that manages US money, and owns national debt) kept it. Google VK Durham

I am taking this chance, while local people are realizing that top people in our local government are lying and covering it up, they should take a look at our state and national governments too.

Cheating, stealing, and even killing, have become acceptable and normal, in the government, and in the public. Why?

Until a couple of years ago, I used to believe our government couldn't do things like that. I am proud of my military service.

But things are different now. Where they used to get close to the line, now they regularly cross the line. At great expense to the American publics health and wealth.

When I took my oath to join the Navy, it was to serve the American Public, before my own interests.

The police have a similar oath. It seems, honor has taken a step back. Way back.

Hope, to me, is an awakening.

stompk 6 years, 11 months ago

A note about Bill the homeless man.

Jesus said, "feed and clothe one of the least, and you have done it to me"

So I went out, searching for a homeless man to help, thinking they were one of the least.

I happened to pick up Bill, who claimed to be God's last prophet, and that I was in a partnership to sow the seed.

I found out, a lot about myself. It caused me to look deep inside myself and ask, what is my purpose.

I have found it. Religion, is not about going to church, and donating to charity.

Religion, is about self sacrifice, for the betterment of mankind.

Jesus, gave the ultimate sacrifice, to expose the truth about how government and religion was treating people.

I earn my own bread, and take care of my family.

And we have all paid the price, to expose the truth.

But we know, it's appreciated by the One that really matters.

stompk 6 years, 11 months ago

It's my daughters birthday.

I hope, that the police officer,

who knows whom I'm talking about,

knows that, I am on your side.

I think you are a good person in a bad situation.

I hope I can help.