Bob Havice: No needless killing

Your article on May 9 concerning "Rattlesnake Ron" was disturbing. Every "real" cowboy I have had the privilege of knowing would never kill anything needlessly, especially a rattlesnake.

A "real" cowboy would get back on his horse and keep his mouth shut and not blame anyone or anything for his clumsy horsemanship. It's not the end of the world that you fell off your horse. Next time, pay attention and hang on.

Ron was the anthropocentric intruder. This rattlesnake was doing what rattlesnakes do.

Bob Havice

Steamboat Springs

Comments

Matthew Stoddard 6 years, 11 months ago

Dundalk- I was rooting for Earl from the beginning. I liked Yau-man, but it was Earl who "allowed" Yau to get that first Immunity Idol. Earl covered for Yau when everyone went to get water, food, etc., so Yau could dig. Yau played a smart game, no doubt, but Earl was the one who allowed Yau's strategy to work.

dogd 6 years, 11 months ago

A real cowboy would probably kill an anthropocentric if one ever crawled across his bedroll. What kind of bug is that anyway?

Matthew Stoddard 6 years, 11 months ago

Honestly, I've never heard "anthropocentric" come from any cowboy's mouth that I know. Rattlesnakes do what rattlesnakes do...and cowboys do the same: kill it if it comes near him!

JazzSlave 6 years, 11 months ago

I wonder if Bob is the same clown who pitched a fit at me when he saw my dog kill a field mouth at Spring Creek.

JazzSlave 6 years, 11 months ago

Must remember: preview is my friend.

um... MOUSE.

dundalk 6 years, 11 months ago

If memory serves me - the author is accusing the cowboy of a somewhat caveman styled action and/or mentality. Perhaps the GEICO cavveman is doubling as a stunt cowboy for a new television ad!

Matthew Stoddard 6 years, 11 months ago

So...is he a cowboy or caveman? Plus, what if the rattlesnake said something bad about the caveboy's mother? I'd kill it, too!!

Oh, and the Geicavemen are getting their own TV series...SERIOUSLY!!! This is what we get for not watching more reality TV shows. Thank God Earl won Survivor!

dundalk 6 years, 11 months ago

Can you belive that Earl won? I was really cheering for yau-Man.

braille2 6 years, 11 months ago

Bob you are a moron who has probably never met a real cowboy in your life. I've ridden plenty with real cowboys and they stop to kill every rattlesnake they come across. It's one less snake to kill them. I had the priviledge to be riding with Ron that day. We had ridden for an hour with no problem. There were riders in front of Ron and I was behind him and saw his horse balk, then pitch and buck with no warning. Ron didn't "fall off". He was bucked off and didn't even know there was a snake until others started yelling at him to back up, since he was nearly eyeball to eyeball with a coiled snake ready to strike. He was hurt and didn't know how bad. He's more cowboy then you will ever be, as he had the wranglers help him back on his horse and he rode the last mile in with a broken hip. He was in more pain than anyone I'd ever seen yet he cowboyed up as they painfully loaded him into a truck to take him to the hospital. They thought he'd be in the hospital for 5 or 6 weeks yet he made it to Maybelle on that Sunday and flew back to Hawaii last Friday. He's one of the toughest guys I've ever met. So do not speak about that which you do not know. Ron earned those rattles. They are a badge of more courage and bravery then a person like you will ever know. Go back to your hole and maybe the next rattler will get you!!!

Winters 6 years, 11 months ago

Aloha Bob:

Yes, I said Aloha! The Aloha Spirit is something that you really should learn and should be spread across the mainland of the US. While Ron lives in Hawaii and totally reflects the "Aloha Spirit" it doesn't mean he isn't a "cowboy". By the way, in Hawaii they are called "Paniolo" and have quite a history.

I live on the Island of Kauai, have been a friend and Realtor for "Rattlesnake Ron" for years. I grew up in Kansas and actually to this day still consider myself a cowgirl! No - not for show. Check out my custom made boots. They're not polished but have been used for many, many years; and my stetson is worn, used, stained - not glitsy. My favorite attire is my well worn levis. And, I live in the country. Did you know we have country in Hawaii?

You are out of line criticizing someone you never met. Ron is as down to earth and down to the "aina " (land) as they come. I've always known he was a cowboy / farmer / character! I doubt he knows I am.

I will tell you something - you might actually want to meet Ron. I am certain that if you did, you wouldn't project whatever your personal problems are to a truly remarkable person.

And, by the way, I would have wanted the rattles. I have been challenged by snakes and also know how frightening to horses they are. I have fortunately never been thrown by a horse but have come extremely close. I'm not sure I could have gotten back up on the horse with broken bones.

Don't attack Ron. How fortunate the horse was not bitten.

Bob, can you show me that you "are a cowboy" and have the experience to criticize?

another_local 6 years, 11 months ago

The first rattler I ever saw was up around Sheep Mountain in about 1968 or 1969. I could not tell you if it was Colorado or Wyoming, we were riding pretty close to the state line.

The snake rattled, a horse bolted and jumped a cattle guard (rider still aboard). After that, cowboys killed that snake just like they did the one in the newspaper story; with the knotted ends of thier ropes. We ate it that night and one of the guys put that skin on his saddle.

What do you know about "real" cowboys?