Every Board of Education has its own vision, and all our elected members bring varied backgrounds and experiences to mold and implement that vision.
This Board has built on the work of previous boards and continued on in its own direction.
Our main goals are to attract and retain quality staff, improve the climate of the district, revamp and improve the governance policies, review the curriculum and determine the 21st century skills that students will need, and provide the resources our staff needs to continue to support and increase the academic achievement of our students and meet their varied individual needs.
We are collaborating with the city to develop meaningful and safe after-school activities, preparing for the possibility of full-time kindergarten in the future, proactively working with safety officers and neighboring districts on security needs, and implementing a cutting-edge system of technology throughout the district.
We have achieved many successes in the short year and a half that the majority of this board has been in place, and we are continuing to work in a positive direction for the district. With the generous support of the community we have:
1. Passed a bond issue to replace the aging Soda Creek Elementary School and construct an addition on Strawberry Park Elementary School;
2. Worked alongside the Education Fund Board to add classrooms and relocate the administrative offices at the middle school, in order to increase security and also installed an artificial turf field at the high school;
3. Passed a mill levy override to increase salaries which will help attract and retain certified and qualified staff;
4. Conducted a climate survey to increase communication with our stakeholders: the students, parents, and staff;
5. Implemented procedures to increase accountability for programs and staff at all levels.
Our past board president voiced our dedication to asking the "hard questions."
We must continue in that direction in an effort to set high expectations for students, staff and ourselves and to move the district to the next level of excellence.
A level of excellence that ensures policies are in place that protect staff and students from arbitrary and/or capricious sources. A level of excellence that ensures that policies that are in place are enforced and interpreted fairly and equitably. A level of excellence that moves all our students, staff, future Boards and our community forward in the 21st century.
I would also like to ask some of our past board members to answer some of those "hard questions" as part of our investigation.
Many former board members have demonstrated their desire to continue to be involved in our district. Their cooperation in being interviewed to determine if we have sound policies in place to protect our staff and students would truly benefit the district as we progress into the future.
I thank the community for its continued support of education. We may not always be able to achieve 100 percent consensus on every decision, but we are all motivated to do what is in the best interests of our students. I hope that we can cooperate, as a community, in a positive manner for their good.
President, Board of Education