Sexually violent predator identified

photo

file photo

Ronald Eugene Noel

— Routt County officials identified a resident classified as a sexually violent predator as 45-year-old Ronald Eugene Noel during a community meeting Friday at the Steamboat Grand Resort Hotel on Friday night.

The meeting, called by the Routt County Sheriff's Office, was part of a public notification process required by law to identify sexually violent predators living in a community.

Sheriff Gary Wall explained to the 200 people who attended the meeting that Noel is legally living in his white Chrysler LeBaron at 20755 Routt County Road 205, west of Milner off U.S. Highway 40. He works as a laborer who cuts and hauls logs to Montrose. Wall would not release the name of the business Noel works at to protect the business from retaliation.

During the 1.5-hour meeting, Wall, Steamboat Springs police Capt. Joel Rae, Advocates Against Battering and Abuse Excutive Director Diane Moore and a representative of the Colorado Division of Criminal Justice, educated the community about sexually violent predators. They explained how to help victims of sexual crimes and why Colorado requires law enforcement agencies to inform communities about sexually violent predators.

A sexually violent predator is the most severe classification given to a sex offender.

Noel, who registered as a sex offender with the Sheriff's Office in October 2006, was convicted in Oregon in 1998 of first-degree sexual abuse on a girl who was between the ages of 5 and 8. The girl knew Noel, Wall said. It is Noel's only sexual conviction, he added.

Bill Fritsche, who is Noel's attorney, said the crime Noel was convicted of did not classify him as a sexually violent predator. Noel was given the status because he failed to register as a sex offender in Oregon, Fritsche said.

Fritsche said he spoke to Noel on Friday and that Noel wants the community to not be afraid of his presence in Routt County.

"He said, 'The county does not need to be afraid of me,'" Fritsche said. "(Noel) is within himself. He doesn't strike me as a dangerous guy. He strikes me as very mellow."

Wall and Rae conveyed messages that any retaliation or vigilantism against Noel would not be tolerated, and that such behavior could be worse for a community because it forces the sexual offender "underground."

"Vigilantism, harassment, threats and intimidation are counterproductive to the best interest and safety of the community," Wall said. "We don't want sex offenders to be driven underground. We want them to be visible. We want to know where they are."

After the presentation, people were allowed to write down questions, which the panel answered as openly and honestly as possible.

Many questions referenced the safety of the community's children, and what parents should do to protect their children.

"When I find out a sex offender has moved into Steamboat, I take the picture home and educate my kids," Rae said. "We don't want to let people change our lives. It's not, 'Oh my God, I can't let the kids go outside.' It's not about that. It's about education."

Rae suggested parents explain the situation to children and how to be safe, but to avoid frightening details.

Sexual offender registries are available for viewing at the Routt County Sheriff's Office, the Steamboat Springs Police Department and on their Web sites as well as on the Colorado Bureau of Investigation Web site.

Comments

SteamboatJoe 7 years, 1 month ago

Said by Noel's attorney who needs a class on sexual offenders - "(Noel) is within himself. He doesn't strike me as a dangerous guy. He strikes me as very mellow."

This is the way predators stay in our community. Honest, good people believe he is "mellow" then a few years go by and children are victimized. It is time to wake up and protect children. Unfortunately, our kids are going to pay while the adults do nothing.

Predators will find a way to help single mothers or live near kids of the "right" age and reoffend once we become comfortable and trusting.. Let's hope the people of this community choose to become educated about the extremely low rates of one time offenders.

Gladys 7 years, 1 month ago

If this pedophile moved to town in October, why is the public meeting just now being held? A lot of harm could have been done in 5 months. And what does it mean "legally living in his car"? How do you make your car a legal residence? And how could anyone say he has not committed another such crime since 1998...I would say he has not been CAUGHT committing the crime. I have said it before and I will say it again and again - these sick creeps CANNOT be rehabilitated. Again, I ask...who decides where these criminals relocate? Apparently he did not pick this area because he came to live with family, else he would not be living in his car. I truly love my country, but our Judicial system is broken. It protects and offers rights to criminals while punishing and stripping the rights of victims and law abiding citizens.

How could anyone be expected to be "nice" to a creep that has committed a heinous crime against a child? Take a look at some little girls between the ages of 5 and 8...nothing but sweet and innocent. I am so disgusted I could puke.

kingsride 7 years, 1 month ago

I think its time for a "one strike" law. Sexual predators who victimize children, should never ever again see the light of day. Better that they all sit in jail than run the risk of them ever harming just one child. Also, I have a question for Joel Rae. Did you bring the picture of this guy home and educate your children when? Last November?

SteamboatJoe 7 years, 1 month ago

It would be nice if the Staemboat City Police could get their website to work so we can see people registered in the city. The site hasn't worked for MANY months.

thecondoguy1 7 years, 1 month ago

I agree with kingsride 100%, and would give 10 bucks to see fourseasons first comment, I'll bet it made so much sense it was to hot for the paper to leave up.............

dog2 7 years, 1 month ago

REPEAT ... REPEAT !!!

I have read in the PB of the Pilot Newspaper several times in the past couple of months that "someone went to the RCSO to register as a sex offender". If you go to the web site listed here ... http://www.familywatchdog.us/ ... you will find the 'National Sex Offender Registry'. There are only two sex offenders shown on this registry for the Routt County area, and one of them has been a repeat offender in the area for quite a while. You would think our RCSO would supply the names of those people who are newly registering with the National Registry so that all of us would know who they are and where they live.

kingsride 7 years, 1 month ago

Ok Scotty Time for you to go to work. Some serious issues and questions have been raised here. Some law enforcement officials need to respond to these issues and answer those questions. Is this incompetence? Do they need to be replaced? Or is this more of this is Utopia Springs Colorado where we see no evil hear no evil. Nothing bad can happen here because it is such a "nice" place. If it has indeed taken 5 months for this to get out, Its time for someone to explain why.

trump_suit 7 years, 1 month ago

Gotta go with the general consensus on this one.

1. Why did it take 5 months for this information to become public,

2. Why aren't the tools that have been developed and approved for public use available and working.

3. When did Cap't Rae protect his family with this information?

As a general comment, I don't recall an other time when the peace officers of this community have taken such a drastic step as holding a public meeting to discuss a specific sexual offender. Has this happened before? Why now? What is different about this case than the ones that preceeded it?

I for one would like the press to dig a little deeper on this one.

JQPUBLIC 7 years, 1 month ago

On CBI's convicted sex offender site there are 5741 listed in colorado with felony convictions, of these 732 failed to register, 432 are multiple offenders and 44 are violent predators. Does anyone know for sure how this works, I was once told if they were registered in a town (OC) they wouldn't show up on the county site.

trump_suit... I think what's different here is the violent predator part.

whyquestion 7 years ago

did the law enforcement people check bull head az or laughlin nv for any arests????? is this person very familiar with oc and routt county from years ago????jq violent predator part is reason for mtg.????

whyquestion 7 years ago

steamboatjoe does mellow mean pot head??????

JQPUBLIC 7 years ago

whyq... Colorado requires law enforcement agencies to inform communities about sexually violent predators, now I can't swear to it but I think the information only has to be made available if they are just your average everyday registered sex offender. I have to agree with kingsride on strikes but I would give them two strikes, castrate them on the first, invoke capital punishment on the second. Wall did use this incident for a bit of political grandstanding, but at least the word got out. I wonder if Wall thinks we stepped on this child molesters civil liberties.