Teen injured in collision

photo

Members of Steamboat Springs Fire Rescue move an accident victim to a waiting ambulance after a collision between the cyclist and a large tractor-trailer southbound on Highway 129 outside Steamboat Springs on Friday afternoon.

— A 16-year-old bicyclist sustained leg injuries Friday afternoon when she was struck by a semitrailer while riding down Routt County Road 129.

Colorado State Patrol Trooper Doug Kline did not know the extent of the girl's injuries before the girl was taken to the hospital.

Kline said the girl was riding her bicycle with her mother about 4:30 p.m. south on C.R. 129 near mile marker 8 when she apparently swerved into the southbound lane of traffic and was struck by a semitrailer.

"It sounds like the girl got her tire stuck in the gravel on the shoulder, lost control of her bike and swerved into traffic," Kline said.

The truck's driver had apparently given the girl and her mother more room but was unable to avoid hitting her when she came into his lane, he said.

There is only about a six-inch shoulder on C.R. 129.

"You can see where he started braking and he was already pretty far over, so he did what he could to avoid hitting her," said Sgt. Seth Merrick of the Routt County Sheriff's Office. Sheriff's Office deputies assisted with the accident until State Patrol arrived and helped direct traffic, which had been backed up for about 45 minutes in both directions on C.R. 129.

Dawn Obrecht, a local physician, was driving two cars behind the accident when it happened.

"It seemed like she was going to be OK," she said.

A Steamboat Springs police officer also heard the accident from his home off C.R. 129 and assisted the other agencies on scene.

Kline said it "was too early" to tell if the driver of the semitrailer would be cited for the accident.

"We'll see how it all turns out after I'm done with the investigation," he said.

Comments

dundalk 6 years, 9 months ago

Can you imagine how that truck driver must have felt? I heard there is a long line of tire marks where he tried in vain to stop before hitting the girl who had crossed over into his lane.

Tjb1010 6 years, 9 months ago

I believe there was no one at fault here. They were riding on a road that takes them back to their house.

From what I've heard, it wasn't that she swerved, but that she was sucked into the semi. You know how it feels when you go past a semi in a small car? Imagine that same feeling, only greatly intensified. That's what happens when you're riding a bike. As far as I understand, she didn't get hit with the front end, I'm pretty sure it was just the back tires.

All the same, the trucker must feel terrible.

She's a relative of mine.

dogd 6 years, 9 months ago

Never does take too long to covene a kangaroo jury on these pages. Sometimes s... happens ... sometimes the need to bring somebody in guilty of something is an exercise in stupidity. Wasn't wrong to ride a bike. Wasn't wrong to drive a truck. Why is it, these days when s... happens bull... always quickly follows. Maybe sometimes somebody needs to keep thier pointing finger in it's little holster.

ski52 6 years, 9 months ago

WE ARE JUST THANKFUL THAT IT SOUNDS LIKE SHE IS OK. Blame her mom? What are you crazy. I know this girl personally and she is a bad ass biker and she would ride that road with or without her mom. She is a dedicated athlete and accidents happen. I just hope she is ok.

Tjb1010 6 years, 9 months ago

She's my cousin, and that's exactly what I was thinking.

As far as I've heard, she's going to be ok. I've heard she has a broken pelvis and a broken femur, and possibly some broken ribs(?).

hdm4 6 years, 9 months ago

I can believe someone can just jump to conclusions with this much information. I know this family as well and it deffinately wasn't the mom's nor the girls or even the drivers intentions for the ride to go the way it did. Its good to know that she is going to be ok! All we can do is keep her and her family in mind and in our prayers.

Matthew Stoddard 6 years, 9 months ago

To those with compassion: Thanks for being on the forums. Not everyone here just starts pointing fingers when something bad happens. Some of us actually care about the people and not the cirmcumstance. Hope the young girl is okay.

Tjb1010 6 years, 9 months ago

^^ quoted for truth

And the person blaming her mom, how heartless can you get? By my reckoning, she would probably ride that road by herself.

Like I said, no one did anything wrong here.

As I hear more about it, it's sounding like she actually fell into the road.

bcpow 6 years, 9 months ago

Hash_Garret: To say that you are an idiot would be the understatement of the century.

dundalk 6 years, 9 months ago

Did someone on this forum blame the mom? I hadn't read that anywhere.

I hope this young lady is okay. She's got a VERY long road towards recovery.

With that said, I also feel terrible for the semi driver. These type of accidents are never good. I think but for the grace of God, this young teen came pretty close to see the old master, face to face.

Kudos to her recovery!

Sam Chovan 6 years, 9 months ago

"swerved into traffic"? excuse me, but cyclists are held to the same laws as so called "traffic" and are, indeed vehicles themselves, they are included in the catchphrase "traffic". Please, if you're on a narrow road behind a cyclist, wait for a safe place to pass.

The girl injured is a very good friend of mine and I'm really glad she's going to be ok. I hope her all the best in her road to recovery, hopefully I'll get to ride with her again soon.

safety_third 6 years, 9 months ago

The thing that most people fail to realize, especially people in cars who aren't cyclists themselves, is that cyclists ARE traffic and are supposed to abide by the same rules as motorized vehicles. Also, no the kid is obviously the victim here. The article makes that pretty clear. Plus: if you want to stop this kind of thing from happening, write your congressman or something and tell them to widen the damn shoulder. it's only 6 inches wide, which is narrower than any handlebars on a bike that i've ever seen. Also, next time you see a cyclist, give them plenty of room when you pass. And stop blaming the mom. It's not her fault.

Sam Chovan 6 years, 9 months ago

"but was unable to avoid hitting her when she came into his lane" also, his lane? Bikes are considered vehicles, and riding in the lane is our right as vehicles, using the shoulders is a courtesy, but drivers can't be oblivious to the rights that we have to the road.

Sam Chovan 6 years, 9 months ago

Sorry, one more quick addition. Where she is riding the road has almost no shoulder, invariably cyclists will therefore be in the lane of the road. As such they should be treated exactly as you should treat a car or a motorcycle. Im not saying the driver was at fault, but all too often are there close calls when riding on these roads. Please use extreme care when passing cyclists, these kind of accidents are terrible for everyone. Again, best wishes to my friend, we miss you.

Sam Chovan 6 years, 9 months ago

The mom had nothing to do with it, why you are trying to drag her into this terrible accident is beyond me. I know the mother and I can say for a fact she would never mean to put her daughter in any danger. And what do you mean by feeling empowered? do you think we cyclist are a bunch of ego maniacs who just love to ride where we can be a nuisance to cars?!? we have a right to the road too, get over yourself

Tjb1010 6 years, 9 months ago

That doesn't change the fact that bicyclists have as much right to the road as someone in a car.

Your ignorance disgusts me...

Tjb1010 6 years, 9 months ago

My comment got posted above Hash, somehow, but it was to him, no one else.

Tjb1010 6 years, 9 months ago

By the way, it really isn't my place to say what happened. I haven't been told directly from her immediate family, only through others in the family, so I'm not going to post any more info about the accident. What I have said so far has been too much, I've realized that now.

jessandlindsey 6 years, 9 months ago

This is no ones fault but the stupid gravel!!!!

we are best friends with this girl and she is frickin amazing at everything. this girl is going to get through this in a heartbeat. she has the will and the way and nothing will stop her from recovering super fast.

I WANT IT ALL! I WANT IT ALL! AND I WANT IT NOW!!!

we love you sooo frickin much. <3<3<3<3 X10000000000

nordic13 6 years, 9 months ago

OK Hash_Garret get it into your one tracked mind that like the other happenings within the last week that it is a freak accident and we all get those whether in your car or just walking noone's fault and we all have to get a workout somehow and that is not a dangerous road i go on it all the time and also get it into your pea brain that its not the mom's fault just think how she feels right now and when she reads your comments think how she will feel then

Sam Chovan 6 years, 9 months ago

@Hash Garret, when i sent you that message I lost my temper, I was going to apologize and take back what i said until i read your most recent post calling both the girl and her mother idiots simply for enjoying a sport that she loves. Now I can see that you really are everything I called you and more.

bikegirl 6 years, 9 months ago

I know this young woman to be a very dedicated athlete,Our family sends thoughts and prayers for a full recovery,I must say that I drove 129 to and from zirkles this weekend and it is very scary to try and get around bikers who refuse to ride single file,there is absolutely nowhere to go.I am a biker and a driver,we need to share the road,but when I am in my car I feel that bikers have responsibility for being safe as well, This morning {on 129}I drove very slowly behind 2 bikers riding double,well into my lane,around several blind turns,I finally beeped for them to get over and was given a rude gesture back,So,accidents will happen .In this girls case,sounds like the driver tried to avoid it.By the way I don't ride 129 because I don't feel safe.

hdm4 6 years, 9 months ago

i dont see how riding a bike is stupid, no one was planning on that happening, it was an accident..... read the updated article: Injured bicyclist flown to Denver

stmbt_shadows 6 years, 9 months ago

Hash_Garret: Obviously you don't know this girl personally and you don't seem to be a parent yourself. I can see your point in that the road is dangerous, but this girl is the best biker I know and this is simply a terrible accident in which should not be scrutonized. Living in a mountain town like Steamboat, most kids are very active and compete in "high risk" sports. I'm a ski racer, and am well aware of the possible accidents that can happen. But that is a risk everyone takes because we love the sport. She loves to bike, and instead of living in fear of what could happen, she lives life to the fullest and rides because she enjoys it. This is a terrible accident and regardless of your opinions you should not be writing these terrible things about someone you don't even know. Road biking is a common thing to do in this town and this is a very sad accident, but we can't sit around and blame people for what has happened. Some of us like to enjoy life and get outdoors and have fun. Having fun sometimes comes with risks, but it's better than sitting inside all day fighting with kids on the internet about your stupid opinions. This girl is a world class athlete who has just as much right to be on that road as anyone. Actually, she is probably more experienced than most of the adult riders that ride that road. Regardless, bad things happen but that doesn't mean that she and her mom are idiots, as you say. This is a mountain town and kids are active and enjoy the outdoors here. Get used to it. If you don't like it then move to a city where teenagers sit inside and play video games all day. This girl is a good friend and she is the most fearless and courageous girl I know. I know that she will make it through this and be striving to get back on the bike soon. I wish her well on a good recovery and to get well soon.

Matthew Stoddard 6 years, 9 months ago

Nice, Hash! Can't pin it on the mother, so blame the girl now. "Facts" are on your side. It truly amazes me that a person like you still exists in today's world.shaking head, sighing Just how many feet fit in your mouth at once?

SangriaMama 6 years, 9 months ago

County Commissioners need to look at our roads and the needs of our users (vehicles / cyclists / farm equipment / semis) and make the roads better. The law recognizes the rights of all of these user groups. It is not the place of the car and truck drivers to say - ban cyclists! The roads could be better and should be improved. We can all get along!

Let's hope we can call this a lucky escape for the cyclist. Guys - let's be more considerate out there and anticipate that what's around that next corner could be your kid on a bike.

madmoores 6 years, 9 months ago

Sbvor, even though I do not care for most of your postings, I have to commend you on your position regarding cycling(The Emerald debate and now this)and the responsibility therin. It is time to ban cyclists from 129 before, as you said, a multi-tragedy occurs involving a vehicle trying to avoid cyclists that head-on(s) another vehicle, creating a multi-trauma involving not only motorists but the cyclist as well. This was what we call a close one. I pray that she will be OK and back in the saddle soon. SangriaMama said:

"It is not the place of the car and truck drivers to say - ban cyclists."

Most of us that have had an opinion on this "biker/car/horse hauler/semi" issue on CR129 are both cyclists AND vehicle operators. That gives us a dual perspective of this situation and if one was to sway towards the safety of ALL users of said road, then it would only be wise to ban the cyclists at this point until a resolution can be made to create safety for ALL. The smart thing to do(which seems to be a problem with your local government)would be to overhaul the road, widen the driving lanes, and include a 6'(minimum) breakdown lane WITHOUT the stupid rumble strips so that the bikers have a place to ride that is not impeding traffic. This way everyone who want's to enjoy the road can without creating a hazard for the other. I think it is called common sense but because it does not exist anymore I doubt anyone(especially the govt.)would recognize it.

hannah 6 years, 9 months ago

regardless of what you guys think...please be respectful!! remember...if you dont have anything nice to say...dont say anything at all

come on katherine!!!! get better soon...we need you to come KICK OUR BUTTS in skiing

Hadleyburg_Press 6 years, 9 months ago

Hash, According to you, "Physiologically, the human brain is not fully developed until around age 25. That's one reason why auto accident rates are so high for people under 25. That's why most companies won't rent cars to people under 25.

Being ex-military are you suggesting that we shouldn't let anyone below the age of 25 enlist?

Food for thought.

JQPUBLIC 6 years, 9 months ago

hannah... I'm sorry but these are not feel good forums where we are here to say only nice things. We discuss many controversial subjects, have many different opinions, and sometimes we even have bad things to say about each other.... such is life. That said, I hope your friend recovers quickly.

MY OPINION....There are some roads that are just not safe and bikes need to be banned from them for everyone's safety. You can fight for bike paths, wider shoulders, or whatever, but that doesn't change the fact that these roads are still unsafe. Should more people be maimed or killed because you "have a right" to use these dangerous roads? Again we are down to common sense, take up the cause for better roads for cyclists and get your "I have a right" off of the dangerous roads while you're doing it, you may get a lot more support for your cause. Why do you suppose bicycles are not allowed on interstates... safety maybe?

JazzSlave 6 years, 9 months ago

JQPULIC

So the nanny state should step in to protect us from ourselves. We should refrain from taking any risk unless Big Brother approves of the decision.

You wrote in the smoking ban thread that you "firmly believe business owners should have a right to decide their own fate."

Why not cyclists?

JQPUBLIC 6 years, 9 months ago

jazz.... give me a break, this is a PUBLIC problem, to live in this world you have no other choice than to use the roads. Care to tell me what private business owns county road 129? What part of private vs public do you have a problem with?

You want to "take the risk", go ahead, as of now it's legal... I will save my sympathy for the one that you turn into a victim, the one that has to suffer the rest of his life for running over your sorry a$$.

JazzSlave 6 years, 9 months ago

JQPUBLIC:

Yep. It's legal & it's up to me (& not anyone else) to choose to take the risk (or not). Thanks for making my point.

I personally avoid cycling on 129, for example, because IN MY OPINION, I have too good a chance of becoming a stain. It is, however, my choice to make and not yours. Unless & until laws are implemented to change that, it will remain my choice and your soapbox. If you & your ilk wind up being the catalyst for change, more power to you.

Sam Chovan 6 years, 9 months ago

"Incidentally, I also choose to drive my car on a regular basis, a situation that puts me and you at VASTLY greater statistical risk than bicyclists. Do you engage in the same scorn & derision for motorists involved in traffic accidents? If someone plows into your "sorry a$$" to whom do you allocate your fabled sympathy? It is a "PUBLIC problem", no?"

quoted for truth

upstream 6 years, 9 months ago

Your comments on all the forums are now utterly predictable and agonizingly jerry springeresque (all mouth and attitude).

Perhaps you can all get together and throw a few chairs, because you've pretty well lost all credibility here.

May all touched by this horrible ACCIDENT heal well and may we all learn from it (motorists and cyclists alike).

dundalk 6 years, 9 months ago

Hash, Sbvor etc....Here is the Almighty, arrogant one checking in. Let's get together and have a parody party with paper hats, horns and keyboards in hand. Upstream, we'll play pin the tail on the donkey, too...Are you available to volunteer?

Have a nice night. Enjoy the stars!

JazzSlave 6 years, 9 months ago

Badazz16:

That last post is as shallow and sophomoric as anything I've ever encountered here. Nice of you to admit your hypocrisy, though. Entertaining, even, in an infantile sort of way.

Hadleyburg_Press 6 years, 9 months ago

You have to forgive (or perhaps translate) Hash. He/she is too damn intelligent to have a fashionable personality. It must be considered frivolous by such a mathmatical / analytical mind. He/she is speaking to probability and outcomes (statistics). Hash is right (and caring) regardless of how curmudgeonly his/her delivery is. Road cycling in this community is too dangerous by reasonable and comparible standards. Drug and alcohol use in this community by teens is rampant and condoned by drug and alcohol using parents. These people put themselves and others in jeopardy. Solutions anyone? An ounce of prevention equals a pound of cure, right? Hash's medicinal rant may be etremely bitter, but if it saves one kids life from start to finish then I'm all ears. I bet Hash would support a bike specific lane? Hell, Hash would probaby use it. Adults do make decisions that impact their child's safety. I interpret Hash to be saying that parents should use EXCELLENT JUDGEMENT at all times because someone elses developing and promising life is in their hands. The protection and nuturing of that precious life benefits us all. Nothing wrong with that is there?

BadAcne16, you have lots to learn...

JQPUBLIC 6 years, 9 months ago

badazz16.... this forum is no place for a twelve year old to be spending their time, it may be more comfortable for you to be out playing with your friends than trying to bait adults. If you are in fact older than that, may I suggest you act your age. Everyone is entitled to an opinion and has a right to express it, but most of the posters on this forum aren't into debating children.

jessandlindsey 6 years, 9 months ago

Hash- I'm not really sure how you could blame this on anyone. So your saying that we should all live in fear and this girl should not persue her gift to the nordic and biking world? I went to go visit her yesterday, and she seems to be recovering fully. She is lucky to be alive, we should be greatful she is still here with us and not blame her poor mom who will always have that image burned in her brain. if you have a problem about bikes and traffic please take it some where else. people want to focus on her recovery, not what went wrong. you cant prevent these things. i hope you have fun living in your safe bubble.

we love you kath! stay strong.we're all here for you, well except hash.

dogd 6 years, 9 months ago

sbvor: You seem to have zero value to this community, and I suspect that you had zero value in Texas. You are a blind partisan. A copycat by birth. A copier. A paster. A waste of humanity.

Hash has dubious value as well.

The family affected by this story has GREAT value to this community.

dundalk 6 years, 9 months ago

Hash:

Well said in your response to Bedazz. There are some on these forums who take this stuff very, very personal and indeed take it upon themselves to seek retribution against someone who speaks their opinion, as is protected by the first amendment.

Look what happened to my friend Jack. He received numerous harassing phone calls at his place of employment. In fact, he received threats of physical harm as well. Some have gone after me (and my spouse) for opinions which I have voiced.

It would be great if EVERYONE on this forum was treated with the respect of the first amendment without fear of retaliation. Unfortunately this is not the case.

As angry as I have become at some of the infantile statements made by some on this forum, I would NEVER go after someone's opinion by maligning them to their employer. This is completely unacceptable. It borders on harassment.

While I am not convinced that this young victim's mother is to blame, I respect the fact that you are entitled to your point of view, as is protected under the first amendment.

Indeed, there are many of us who are simply at a breaking point when we continue to read of kids who are being injured, maimed or killed, with or without some type of parental negligence. Once society voices its disdain towards the waste of life to our future generations, there seems to be waiting a pack of rabid coons on their hindquarters ready to rip apart the first amendment.

I agree that in this day and age, remaining nameless is often times the most prudent path given the immature actions of some on these forums.

Hadleyburg_Press 6 years, 9 months ago

Hash, Thanks for your reply even if it was a stating of the obvious. Your reply speaks to a psychological state of mind whereas your initial post spoke to a physiological stage of brain tissue / functional development. I know that you are very well versed in this distinction

"Physiologically, the human brain is not fully developed until around age 25." "I hope some other parents will read all this and do what they should do, which is supervise their immature children and protect them from doing something unnecessarily dangerous"

Like encouraging enlisting?

Understand, I am not saying that we should not allow 17 - 25 year olds to enlist. Far from it, as I have always been a proponent of some form of universal conscription. I am however, pointing out a simply paradox in your statement.

dave reynolds 6 years, 9 months ago

can you say ANGER MANAGEMENT..give it a rest.I don't always agree with HashS posts but I don't go on a trirade against him or threathen him..you really are not much better..in fact your starting to make a fool of yourself..let it go.take a chill pill. just one persons observation

JohnnyRotten42 6 years, 9 months ago

a post by Upstream: hash, sbvor, and even you almighty arrogant one, ms. dundalk..have become pathetic parodies of yourselves.

Very well stated and COMPLETELY true. I agree fully with Upstream. Don't you all have other things to do? All of your credibility has been disproved and the vast majority of us are getting quite exhausted by your pessimism. You are boring us all with your frequent nonchalant attacks of which you have no clear point but insult. The fact of the matter is that this should just be put to rest. All activities involve risk and things like this happen quite often around the world. So leave your computer and take a risk for once in your life and please stop spamming these blogs. There are some of us who actually use them.

To the girl, I hope you are doing well. Best wishes

id04sp 6 years, 9 months ago

Well, as you can see, my posts as Hash_Garret were all removed.

My last response to Johnny Rotten was simply that there are some people in this community who care more about the welfare of its citizens than we do about being liked.

Some of you hear nothing unless it angers you. However, you DO remember what angers you, and that's the point of posting common sense contained in an insult.

The Pilot won't take a stand for the good of the community because there are dollars involved.

So, here's my bottom line. Anybody who bikes on CR-129 is asking to be hit by a drunk, speeder, or semi that can't avoid a collision with a cyclist. Parents are dumb and irresponsible to let minors ride out there.

Accidents don't just "happen." It takes a chain of events. In both this bike accident and the deaths of the two kids killed in the oil tank explosion, the chain of events began with a voluntary decision to be in a dangerous place. The random events which followed (encountering a semi at the 8-mile mark and hitting a patch of gravel at the same time, and someone setting off a spark at the right time to cause an explosion) were accidents. The first link in both tragedies occurred when a minor chose to do something dangerous which was 100% avoidable. They got into a place to be injured deliberately, and needlessly -- not "by accident."

Kids think that they are not responsible for things that happen accidentally. My own kid recently claimed that he should not be punished for something he did that was "an accident." Just because the injury did not occur deliberately, that doesn't mean that the person who caused it is not responsible for the outcome, and responsible for setting it right.

If there was really "no fault" in this case, then I guess we won't be seeing a lawsuit against the semi driver or the trucking company. Yeah, right. This should be fun to watch.

I wish you guys at the Pilot would figure out that it only takes me 20 minutes to get a new ID, and that I usually have one or two ready to go. That's the advantage of having an e-mail account with a HUGE internet service provider which allows you to have multiple mail accounts in multiple aliases.

In any case, I guess you've seen the last of Hash_Garret, but you haven't heard the last from me.

JohnnyRotten42 6 years, 9 months ago

Hash, If you want to make a difference in the community, you are not gonna make it in this forum criticizing people. I am surprised you have not realized that. If you want to make a difference, run for city council, or maybe get on some other commitee. My point is that no person of authority is running their meetings and deciding to change laws or build new things because of this forum. This is not directed at you to insult you. I am merely saying that maybe if you have such strong opinions you should bring them out to the community rather than criticize people on the internet. Half of us probably do not even live in your town.

Oh and by the way no one has been stated at fault and no one has taken any legal action. You should read the news more often rather than focus on one article.

id04sp 6 years, 9 months ago

Johnny,

The voters are the ones who can change things. You are right that most don't read this forum.

If I didn't have to work for a living, I would do some of those things you suggest. There are plenty of people up there who do not have to work every day, but sadly, they usually have enough money and sense to not be effected by the issues that the working class have to deal with every day.

I'm surprised you haven't realized what I am doing. I am working through second-order effects. Posts critical of the victims enrage people who read them, and then the issue gets talked about. Most people with common sense only need to be made aware of an issue to do something about it. Maybe one or two parents will keep their kids off CR-129 because of my posts.

I know that no legal actions have been filed so far. I also know that, in this town, the chances of a hooked-up family having to look very far for a lawyer to take the case are very slim. There's no doubt that this girl's family has close contact with a bunch of Steamboat attorneys. If the trucking company has insurance (which, of course, they do) you can probably bet that a lawsuit will be filed, and settled for at least what it would cost to defend the lawsuit. In this case, $100,000 easy. That's business in the 21st century.

jmhearts 6 years, 9 months ago

she's back home.. at least that's what i heard. i love ya kat! and hannah.. that's so funny you would say that cuz you hurt people all the time... emotionally. anyways... hash sucks and i love katherine! glad she's back home! can someone look up her home number and give it to me please? please and thanks.

katherine, your one amazing gal pal! just had to say that.

nordicskier 6 years, 8 months ago

the sstc is glad to see you home!!!!!! we love you