Scott Stanford: Giving it up for Bartender and Musknosumpin

Scott Stanford

Scott Stanford is general manager of the Steamboat Pilot & Today. Call him at 970-871-4202 or email sstanford@SteamboatToday.com

— Gotta give it up for the users of steamboatpilot.com - specifically Bartender, Musknosumpin, the_Lizard and Dundalk. They beat us to the news time and again this week.

I came to work early Monday, about 6 a.m. I have an RSS feed of all reader comments on our Web site (you can get one too at www.steamboatpilot.com/rss/) that is among the first things I check when I get to work. I noticed a forum topic called "Big Explosion and fire would be news." The entry posted at 5:20 a.m. Monday lamented the lack of reporting on an explosion late Saturday night that killed two South Routt teenagers. Three others posted entries that they too had heard about the fatal explosion.

The only one, it seems, who had not heard about the explosion was the Steamboat Pilot & Today.

Within the hour, we had checked out their story and got our own version of the story posted to steamboatpilot.com. Without the Reader Forum, I don't know how much longer it would have taken for us to get started on the tragic story of the two South Routt teens who died late Saturday night when an oil tank exploded in Rio Blanco County.

So imagine my surprise Tuesday morning when I came out of an Editorial Board meeting to again find our Reader Forum breaking news. This time, an entry titled "Hot air" reported that a man had fallen or jumped from a hot air balloon in Steamboat Springs. Again, we followed up and found out that our citizen reporters got it right.

In both cases, steamboatpilot.com's Reader Forum (steamboatpilot.com/forums) reported news before the newspaper did.

This is not the first time this has happened. We regularly mine our reader comments for news tips. But I certainly can't remember a time when such major news events came from our readers first.

Readers always have been our biggest source of news. We don't always intuitively know that someone did something newsworthy until someone else tells us. Back in the old days, they called or faxed us. E-mail sped up the information process. Today, they can cut out the middleman and post the news directly.

Ironically, the best place to post such local news is steamboatpilot.com. On one hand, I'm disappointed that others are beating us to the news. On the other, I'm elated that the news still is being reported first on steamboatpilot.com.

There is a lot of debate in journalism circles about the value of "citizen journalists" who report news (and opinion) on blogs and media sites. I can certainly understand the concerns of ensuring facts, authenticity and accuracy. I worry about the credibility of the authors - most of them are anonymous and I don't know about the source of their information.

But so far, what has been posted our site has been accurate and timely. I tip my hat to Bartender, Musknosumpin, Dundalk and the_Lizard. It has been a big news week for the Steamboat Today, but they deserve credit for breaking the stories.

Scott Stanford's From the Editor column appears Thursdays in Steamboat Today. Visit his blog at steamboatpilot.com/stanford, call him at 871-4221 or e-mail editor@steamboatpilot.com

Comments

upstream 7 years, 2 months ago

maybe the steamboat enquirer ought to acquire an emergency services scanner of their own. I'd gamble this is how our newshounds are "breaking" stories ahead of the press. I really hope they aren't doing it from work- on the taxpayers' dime perhaps? They seem to post endlessly during "business hours"- but what do I know? Anywho, nice of you to give them a nod, Scott.

thecondoguy1 7 years, 2 months ago

Scott, terrific input from those folks for sure, but it's you at the Pilot that provide the forum, and have the guts to maintain a open board allowing for this input and comment good or bad. We can only hope others such as city council, and county board members pop in from time to time. God bless, and thanks for all you do............

dundalk 7 years, 2 months ago

Gee, and all this time I thought I was a sadastic, bitter, caustic flame thrower hell bent on darting everyone in sight.

Scott, with this mention, are we going to get a salary?

JazzSlave 7 years, 2 months ago

dundalk:

You ARE a sadastic, caustic flame thrower hell bent on darting everyone in sight. That's what we love about you.

dundalk 7 years, 2 months ago

Oh gee, that's the nicest thing anyone has ever said to me. Blush, Blush! Nice to hear from you!

thecondoguy1 7 years, 2 months ago

you are just fine dundalk, the kids just aren't ready to listen, but cool you and a few others got the nerve to say what needs to be said, they have to think about that stuff if they are going to save themselves and their friends, it's rough to be right............. God bless............

Jason Miller 7 years, 2 months ago

Yes lets give it up for a handful of losers.People who have nothing better to do then sit around on there computers and act like there stuff does not stink.Get a life people.

JazzSlave 7 years, 2 months ago

jester1cp:

Don't you have anything better to do than sit around on your computer and smell "there [sic] stuff"? And then sit around on your computer so you can whine about it?

Keep it coming, dude. You're lame, but marginally entertaining.

Matthew Stoddard 7 years, 2 months ago

After finding out Autumn is coming back to 4 Points, any forum person want to beat her to it??? Pleeeeeasssseeee??

logbuilder 7 years, 2 months ago

Hey Scott I guess the fact that American Skiing just totally screwed their shareholders by dissolving the Corporation, as you were informed by e mail by me is not newsworthy. You can buy their stock on sale for $.02. Locals who bought in at $18 might like to know. I'm still waiting to hear from you about that other matter. You hiding something? Even a "no comment " is preferable to being ignored.

the_Lizard 7 years, 2 months ago

<>>

Teeeheeee....Loser....That's a good one! I don't think I've ever actually been called loser before, but guess there is a first time for everything. Thanks Jester!!!!

dundalk 7 years, 2 months ago

Jester:

Perhaps you have some hidden jealousy for those of us who are actually able to sit and fiddle with the computer without sounding like...well a jester

katrinkakelly 7 years, 1 month ago

Scott, It is DIGUSTING to know that the people mentioned in your article have nothing better to do than listen to the police, fire and ambulance calls on radio scanners. Much less make your forum online into a ZOO of nastiness. Maybe your paper should get one so that you are on top of stories before anyone but OFFICIALS know about it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Matthew Stoddard 7 years, 1 month ago

And thanks to katrinkakelly for adding to the disgust by having nothing better to do that point out people's habits online. Let's give her the "Clap!"

Thufir_Hawat 7 years, 1 month ago

katrinkakelly

Chill. Draw the shades, pour yourself a drink, call your mommy, and have a good cry.

JQPUBLIC 7 years, 1 month ago

Everyone... it is disgusting "you have nothing better to do"... I guess getting drunk and partying in the woods is a much better alternative.

katrinkakelly 7 years, 1 month ago

What does that mean?

If you are not on this Forum constantly then you are out drinking in the woods. Only an antagonizing idiot would say that!

I guess JQ has a scanner.

katrinkakelly 7 years, 1 month ago

My only posts on this thread were done @ 9:31am and 9:32am today. Very,very concerning that two people would address me before my posting time????? Whatever.

Thufir and JQ, I do not drink, mom is dead and I am most likely OLDER and much STRAIGHTER than you are.

ZOO Time!!!!! NASTY'S

katrinkakelly 7 years, 1 month ago

Thank you for proving how DISGUSTING some of you are!

innovated 7 years, 1 month ago

kat: sure she has a scanner. That's all she does. I think she needs a new line of work. I know, JQ can open a Fredrick's of Warsaw Boutique. That would keep her busy and curb her ad nauseam comments. Gee, for such an authority on rearing children I find it interesting her own have written her off. Pity.

Matthew Stoddard 7 years, 1 month ago

KK- sure, maybe you only posted twice today...but are you sitting there glued to your screen, hitting the refresh button, waiting for just the right time to call someone you don't even know "disgusting." Yep! You stand head and shoulders above us all? It's amazing you even bother to frequent a forum such as this. Slumming doesn't become you.