Fatal blast investigation continues

Cause of ignition in explosion expected from investigators soon

— Randi Cruson hasn't returned to the remote site where two of her friends died Saturday night when an oil storage tank exploded in the Routt National Forest.

"It was the worst thing any of us could experience," said Cruson, 25, who was one of 16 teens and adults partying at a well site Saturday night near Chapman Reservoir in northeast Rio Blanco County. "When I came to, laying on the ground, having been blown off my feet, it was the most helpless feeling knowing someone was still on that tank when it exploded."

Investigators say Sam Hedemark, 17, of Phippsburg and Christopher King Fuller, 19, of Yampa were jumping on top of a 20-foot-tall oil storage tank when it exploded at about 10:15 p.m. The bodies of the two teens were found more than 150 yards away, investigators said.

"I moved here eight years ago from Denver, and it was a complete shock to me that kids party out in the woods," she said. "I did that for eight years now, but that's the first time I've seen a party there. The road goes a little further back. When we got there, we were like, 'What the hell are you guys doing with a bonfire so close to an oil tank?'"

Rio Blanco County Under-sherriff Michael Joos said Tuesday investigators could determine the ignition source as soon as today. He noted several possibilities for the blast are being probed. Joos said one of the victims was found with cigarettes, marijuana and a lighter. A bonfire also was burning about 30 feet from the oil tank.

"The (Colorado Bureau of Investigation) is taking part in the interview process and there are still a couple teenagers left to talk to," said Joos, who noted the well site, which is about seven miles from the Routt County border, is too remote for his department to patrol.

"My investigator is also talking with the investigator for the Colorado Oil and Gas Conservation Commission who was called out there," he said.

Tricia Beaver, the commission's spokeswoman, said an engineer who visited the site reported the well appeared to be in compliance with commission rules.

"It didn't appear anything was inappropriate," she said. "It seems to be an unfortunate location to be smoking and drinking and not thinking about the flammability of the oil tank. I've been with the Oil and Gas Commission for 23 years and I've seen nothing like this - never seen it on private or public lands where oil tanks are located."

Beaver said the commission's investigator confirmed the owners of the well are Bill Rippy and Cary Stehle of Craig. Rippy was unavailable for comment Tuesday night. No phone number was listed for Cary Stehle.

Joos said witness statements indicate that Hedemark and Fuller were jumping up and down on the oil storage tank prior to the explosion. The tank, which was half-full with about 160 barrels of oil, had a release valve on the top that allows vapors to escape when the pressure builds up. Joos said when Hedemark and Fuller jumped on the tank, it could have increased the amount of vapor escaping the release valve.

Cruson said many of the partygoers were jumping on the tank, but all had climbed down except Hedemark and Fuller before the tank exploded.

"Alcohol was obviously present, but being what caused the explosion - no," said Cruson, who said the partyers ranged in age from 17 to 27. "Whether they were drinking or not, they'd be up there. They still would be jumping around."

Joos said finding out who supplied alcohol to the minors is part of the interview process, but he noted information gathered through the investigation would not be released until the 9th Judicial District Attorney's Office reviews the case. Officials with the District Attorney's Office toured the accident site Monday and won't decide on charges until the investigation is complete.

Cruson said she's upset with many people who have labeled the teens as drunk and irresponsible.

"We had two designated drivers up there," she said. "My brother-in-law, who's 27, wasn't drinking. We were trying to play it safe. Obviously it didn't turn out that way."

Comments

honeystinger1 7 years, 1 month ago

80488mom: Thank you for your support. I'm sure we will all learn from what happened. I can tell you now that we all appreciate our lives and everyone in our lives very much more today than we did before. We all know that people will say hurtful and heartless things, but we stand by eachother and will learn and heal with eachother. Thanks again for everyone's support. It means more than I express.

Randi.

kathy 7 years, 1 month ago

DUNDALK The kids where trying to get their cars out of the way of the blast. Cell phones was hard to get in that area. So a lot of the kids left to go get help. Some where asked to leave because they where so freaked out. That was my understanding of the story. So people where getting help.

80488mom 7 years, 1 month ago

It is doubtful there is one among us who hasn't made a mistake in our lives and have gone on to learn from it. An obvious error in judgment occurred which led to a fatal mistake. There is no doubt that this incident will live forever in the hearts and minds of those involved. What each individual chooses to do with that is up to them. I can only imagine each will be a bit wiser and embrace life more closely and recognize how fragile it is.

I don't think we need to continue to blame those involved. I'm sure they feel that themselves without the help of the community.

In all I've read I am personally struck with the honesty that they have spoken about the event. I don't think they are bad people. I think they made a bad mistake. I don't think it serves any useful purpose trying to make them feel any worse than they already do. I am personally choosing to send out loving prayers to all involved including those who lost their lives at such a young age. To pray that others will learn from the mistakes of that evening and that they will not have died in vain.

dundalk 7 years, 1 month ago

Love it."It was the worst thing any of us could experience," said Cruson, 25, who was one of 16 teens and adults partying at a well site Saturday night near Chapman Reservoir in northeast Rio Blanco County. BTW, Steamboat Pilot, teenagers are NOT 25.

Hey, Darwin, at any point during your interview did you stop and examine the scene and come to the conclusion that at the ripe old age of 25, you had a greater responsibility ?

Are you a leader or a follower? Your GPS is out of whack.

LocalYouth11 7 years, 1 month ago

I love it when people try to call someone out when in fact, that person is entirely wrong. Read your quote again, dundalk. "...was one of 16 teens AND ADULTS..."

kathy 7 years, 1 month ago

honeystinger1 you have my support and many others. I am glad to know that you have learned a lot from all this. Growing and Learning is a wonderful thing in in the worst of times. Standing by one another in bad times as well as good times helps each other get through the worst of times. Supporting each other is a healthey way and is the best way. Just don't let people's words hurt you or bring you down. Just stay on course and have a kind heart to even the people that say heartless things. Realize that they where not there and they will never know what all you kids went through up there that night. Hold your family and friends just a little bit closer to you. Love you a lot.

katrinkakelly 7 years, 1 month ago

Thanks for the clarification on alchol being present but "NOT" the cause of the explosion.

Thank you 80488mom for being decent and I agree whole heartedly with you.

We have all learned a valuable lesson about the dangers of tanks, that they are under pressure and can explode.

The boys have not died in vain but can now rest in peace!

ventrygirl 7 years, 1 month ago

First of all, my thoughts and prayers are with the friends and families of the two young men who died so needlessly. I will never know your sorrow. Secondly, what the @#&* were "adults" up to the ages of 27 doing at a party of underage drinkers!! They need to be held accountable and prosecuted. Dundalk is right-you "adults" are in the running for the Darwin awards of 2007. Shame on you-you morons!!

jlkar 7 years, 1 month ago

LEAVE IT ALONE, ROUTT COUNTY. LET THEM GRIEVE. keep your "darwin awards comments" to yourself. Be an adult yourself and have a heart. Find another post to bitch on.
Jackie Karolewski

kathy 7 years, 1 month ago

Now is not the time to start grabing on and calling people down for mistakes. Now is the time to lay these kids to rest and SUPPORT every one involed. For now this is the time to just help each other get through this in the best way they know how for now. There will be a time to address all the other stuff down the road. These kids are in shock this just happened a few days ago. Their are people jumbing at them in a very mean way. To these kids reguardless of the mistakes that where made they lost their friends. Oh my God think about what you are saying are you kinnding me!!!! At this point who cares why they where jumbing on it or not. They are gone they paid the price in a very high way for jumping on the tank. Sitting there acting like you never had a dumb moment in your life. What kind of a person would say such s#@*t really. People who live in glass houses should not through rocks. I am sure when this has time to heal these kids will look back and see what mistakes where made they don't need people like you to show them. Everyone needs to just back the hell off and let these kids grive. Now is not the time to do what you are doing. Your calling these kids dumb but yet getting on this page acting dumb your self. Timing is everything and now is not the time. Maybe down the road getting everyone togeather and talking about all the mistake might be a good thing if it is done in a good way. Not now and not how you are doing it. Think about it does that make sense.

dundalk 7 years, 1 month ago

Not one of my posts where I inquire as to whether or not those present at Sat night's tragedy tried to talk their buddies off the oil tanker has been answered. Can someone please let me know if anyone one of the teens or adults had enough courage and conviction to tell the kids to get off the tanker?

geek101 7 years, 1 month ago

Jackie Karolewski

AMEN!! you people need to go find something else to do besides argue with each other... your not proving anything either way.. I really doubt any of you are perfect persons, parents or citizens and rememer that you were all young once and everyone makes mistakes. Its just really unfortunate that these kids had to die but you all are not making up for it by arguing and bashing their parents.

dundalk 7 years, 1 month ago

Geek:

Well, they were kids. Just who should we blame for these senseless deaths?

honeystinger1 7 years, 1 month ago

I was there but there's no way in hell I'm going to answer your question. You seem to twist comments into spiteful responses. Either way I answer that question I'm sure you'll have something cruel to say about it. Look to the paper for your answers because you won't get them from anyone here.

kathy 7 years, 1 month ago

To answer your question: the one kid that came down from the oil tank for something was headed back up on top of the tanker. Yes at the time one of the adults told him to stay off off of it she yelled at him to stay off of the tank. That is what she told me. Weather or not they all where headed down of the tank at that time i do not know those details at this time. She even told the kids why did they build the fire so close to the tank. My understanding is that when she got there others where all ready there and fire was going. She did speak out. When she seen the kid headed back that is when she yelled stay off of it. Then moments later it blew. My understanding is that it was just a few moments after yelling to stay off it blew. She saved a life by telling the one kid to not go back up there. There are alot of details that people do not know. She was knocked off her feet from the blast. She got up at that time she realized the two people where still up there. There is your answer yes she had courage and she did tell them to get down don't go back up there. Give her a breake.

bcpow 7 years, 1 month ago

Yo davinci, what's the saying? 1 is random, 2 is a coincidence and 3 is the start of a pattern. Your comments are almost always laced with bitterness and hubris, regardless of the point you are trying to make. Should we blame Santa for xmas?

kathy 7 years, 1 month ago

dundalk Your question is who should we blame for these senseless death???? Who do you want us to blame???? If we have someone to blame does it bring back the kids that died?? Does it really change what happened up there?? If there is someone to blame does it ease the saddness?? It is senseless to find some one to blame??? Blaming does not solve any thing it just adds anger and makes people hurt more then they already are.

jlkar 7 years, 1 month ago

"courage and conviction" dundalk? Why don't you go back to school to be a detective and join the investigation team or quit prying. why the hell should anyone answer to you? All of your posts are always negative, regardless of the subject. Start a journal, that way you'll have one interested reader.

nooneknows 7 years, 1 month ago

I AM APAULED BY ALL THE COMMENTS THAT HAVE BEEN POSTED ON HEAR. tO SOME OF YOU, SHAME ON YOU, HOW COULD YOU BE SO SELFISH, AND SENCELESS???? AND TO THE REST OF YOU WAY TO GO, STAND UP FOR WHAT IS RIGHT. THESE FAMILYS NEED SUPPORT, NOT YOUR NASTY COMMENTS. YOU KNOW I SAW NO FENCE AROUND THE TANKS, YES THEY BELONGED TO SOMEONE ELSE BUT THE LAND DID NOT, JUST LIKE THE FOREST SERVICE, THEY OWN THE LAND BUT IT IS PUBLIC, SO DOES THAT MEAN IF A KID GETS DRUNK CLIMBS A TREE, AND LIGHTNING STRIKES IT, WHAT DO WE DO THEN?????? WHOS FAULT IS IT???? THE KID FOR BEING DRUNK AND GOING UP THE TREE, OR THE LIGHTNING???? WELL MY GUESS IS THE RANDEM UNFORTINATE EVENTS THAT HAPPEN IN THIS WORLD EVER DAY. GOD PLEASE LET THESE BOYS REST IN PEACE AND ALLOW THERE FAMILYS TO MORN WITH OUTKNOWING THERE ARE HYPACRITS LIKE YOU OUT THERE, GROW UP!!!!!

dundalk 7 years, 1 month ago

Kathy: The reason behind my question was simple. In a group of how many people, why is it that not one person could persuade the two kids to get off the tank. It's not pointing fingers - simply trying to understand the details. The paper had reported that many in the group fled before the police arrived. I guess that statement, if accurate on the part of the paper, leaves me wondering why?

luvthmntns 7 years, 1 month ago

dundalk: do you have nothing better to do in your day than get on this website and complain about all the ills in Routt county? You don't like the bikers up 129 and you don't like kids being out in the woods, is there anything you do like?

True there was a big mistake made on Saturday, but no amount of complaining from you is going to make those boys come back. I feel very badly about that having known both as a former teacher. Guess what? Teenagers have been drinking and partying since the beginning of time, prohibition did not stop it, only made it worse in my opinion. Parents keeping a tight leash on their children cause problems with rebellion and really does not teach chidlren to trust,hmmmm maybe that is what is wrong with society too many uptight parents who don't know how to parent with boundaries and love and logic, only leashes to keep them in at night because all of us SOROCO people know that we pull up the roads and shut down the town when the sun goes down. And some of us would rather know that our children are in the woods where they are comfortable rather than driving crazy 131 from Oak Creek to Steamboat to have some recreation that one reader said if the kids couldn't access all there is to do in Steamboat then they were what did he say? Stupid? hmmm. If my child driving on 131 at night in the dark he could just as easily be run off the road by one of the do gooders coming back from a prohibition meeting. I say if you don't live in South Routt then keep your nasty comments to yourself and let our communities start the healing process.

thecondoguy1 7 years, 1 month ago

knowoneknows,,, people are going to have a real tough time dealing with the fact that this "public property" had a oil and gas lease where the surface rights to use it were exclusive to the lessee, for the purpose of extracting minerals, anybody else would be trespassing, it was posted. Not only have we had a tragedy here but there are going to be some serious legal consequences for some of the people involved. Show your maturity and get to the library and do some research regarding these laws, also invest in a dictionary, basic spelling skills would go a long way toward a successful argument. We understand you are emotional here and very sorry for all, but if this is not going to happen again people are going to have to live up to a few things, maybe it could start with you. God bless all.............

cargo 7 years, 1 month ago

There is a candlelight vigil for Sam & Chris on Friday at Decker Park in Oak Creek. Gathering between 8:00 pm & 9:00. If you have written something about or for the boys, they would like you to bring it with you. I was with Kathy today and she is not sure of the time yet. There is apparently another funeral at 2:00 at the church. She will get the information to the paper ASAP. but it will not be at 2:00pm. She plans a short church service, and then there will be a combined memorial service at the grade school with a pot luck in the field next to the grade school following the service. There will possibly be a graveside service as well. I am so, so sorry for all of you who not only had to experience this tragedy, but also for you having to see how uncaring and insensitive some "adults" can be. Hang in there.

1234 7 years, 1 month ago

luvthmntns i totally agree with you your comment was totally awesome and totally true great job

jeep 7 years, 1 month ago

dundalk: can,t you just let it go . your comments are not welcome at this time

goldiejean 7 years, 1 month ago

My deepest sympathy to the families and friends of Sam and Christopher. I grew up in Oak Creek, was a teenager in the 70's, and boy did we do a lot of things that I still do not know how we survived, I remember as a teenager and young adult of feeling invincible, we did crazy things and made questionable choices, the things we did had NOTHING to do with where our parents were as I'm sure was the case involving the events of last Saturday night. Now is not the time to point fingers, give these families and communities your support, what a tragic loss. Be kind life is too short.

wingnut 7 years, 1 month ago

dundalk or more like dungtalk get a life and quit being a dick. what these people need at this time the love and support from thier family ,friends,and community and all you're doing is pissing people off I was'nt there and neither was u But i did have relatives there and i'm just so thankful that they are still with us today. I don't know if you have kids or not but but that could have been your son or daughter on those tanks . So please show alittle compassion and get on with your life and let these people greive without greif from you. And my my heart goes out to everyone who lost there family and friends God Bless You.

bcpow 7 years, 1 month ago

Ya dundalk, davinci, ##s...are you seeing the pattern yet?

80488mom 7 years, 1 month ago

It's not just a South Routt problem and I think this forum has been exceptionally harsh on them. Hey Steamboat.......ask your 2007 graduating teens about a wild drinking party up around Seed House this year.....or how about Hayden teens partying at Sandwash......wait.....two years ago there was a graduation party near Stagecoach out in the woods for Steamboat kids........don't think one community is fit to throw stones at another until they look within at their own.

Like I said earlier....let's hope lessons are learned ......in S. Routt....N. Routt....Steamboat and Hayden......but don't think for a minute your teens are immune from the greater problem or that's it's isolated in S. Routt.....and while you are at it send out prayers for those involved in this latest incident and count your blessings if your kids were not involved.......this time at least. How about a little compassion because the day may be around the corner that you need some yourself.

LivingFree 7 years, 1 month ago

Here we go again........

Dund you should grow a heart not a longer pointer finger. Throwing the book at everyone in site seems to be your only solution. "Who should you blame?" How about.... The Kids, Adults, Oil Well Owners, The Police, The Schools, The Local Drunks, Car Manufacturers, Gas Stations and The Forest Service. A few more if you really wanna get crazy. They all had a hand in it. Any one of these factions could have stopped this from happening.

Condoguy1 you should go study a little more. Extracting minerals is called MINING. Which is also regulated by MSHA. NOT the Oil and Gas Commision. MSHA has never set foot on that site and probably you have not either. You should go put some more "minerals" in your car its probably low.

Southrouttmucker if you think every kid tell the truth all the time your insane. The stricter the parent the more sneaky the child becomes. You may think you know where your kids were but could have been just another lie to cover up the incriminating actions that did take place only to avoid "BIG BIG TROUBLE!!!" Iron fist your own children we will handle ours.

nooneknows 7 years, 1 month ago

" if we Just let them greave the have gotten away with something". OMG southrout, what a heart you have, this kids are getting away with nothing. I think seeing your friends blowen up 400 ft in the air and then finding them dead is punishment enough." Get away with something." Thats funny stuff right there

kathy 7 years, 1 month ago

there is a lot that needs to be address in this, but at this time it is a time for the kids to just grab a hold of the thought of what happened and feel the pain that they are feeling. The timing is every thing. Just for now I said let them grieve the loss of their friends. The Police are talking to people and looking futher into this and they will handle that part of it. These kids have a lot to face now as well as down the road with what ever the Police comes up with.

cargo 7 years, 1 month ago

The funeral services were wrongly listed in today's Pilot (Nobodies fault) They are:

Combined Services for Sam Hedemark & Chris Fuller 9:00 am - 10:45 am - Open Visitation First Baptist Church of Yampa 143 Main Street in Yampa11:00 am - noon - Church Memorial Service Family respectfully request that the church memorial service be for family only Noon - Graveside services - everyone welcome Immediately following graveside service a public memorial will be held at the South Routt Elemerntary School gym. There will be a pot luck lunch in the field next to the grade school following the public service.

There has also been a memorial fund set up at First National Bank of the Rockies in Oak Creek. The fund is called "South Routt Youth Fund" and is intended by the parents to hopefully offer some type of safe recreation to the youth. Donations can be made in Sam and Chris's names. Stop bitching and help.

Matthew Stoddard 7 years, 1 month ago

Christ, Now this is a leftist problem per the crazy idiot on the soapbox. Suggest removal since it has nothing to do with anything...as usual. It's just another way of throwing blame from crap artists who don't care that somebody died. They just want to throw blame without thinking of the grief stricken family.

Plus, I don't think dundalk is here any longer.

JazzSlave 7 years, 1 month ago

bcpow:

Do you have anything at all to contribute beyond delineating the #s/davinci/dundalk chronology? Your fixation is getting a little creepy.

But at least your vocabulary is less confused today, so you've got that going for you.

nooneknows 7 years, 1 month ago

kielbasa, Who are you talking to, i did not understand what you wrote

bikegirl 7 years, 1 month ago

hey dundalk ,jazz,hash-karma is all around you .let the families grieve .get off you soapboxes and take a look at yourselves.

Matthew Stoddard 7 years, 1 month ago

Nooneknows- Talking about SBhor, our "supposedly resident" extremist to the right. It had looked like some of dundalk's posts had been erased, but not all of them. I guess that was not the case, and my mistake. I'm just tired of everything being a political conspiracy when it's about human emotion and grief right now, in this instance. Too many cooks in the kitchen telling other people how they should raise their kids.

I consider dundalk a friend, so I've layed off those posts since they were addressing the problem, even though I don't agree with the timing right now. SBhor starts it as a political post, as always. Considering who SBhor is, it would be pretty laughable if not for this terrible incident.

Matthew Stoddard 7 years, 1 month ago

No, PWAJ, you insulted Cargo pretty nicely, I'm sure. Love to see you say that crap to her face. I'd PAY BIG BUCKS to see it!! LOL! You see, you included her attempt to mention a fund to help offer a solution to kids going out and drinking. Your response?

"Thank you for further illuminating the utterly counterproductive dogma and denial of The Left."

Yep: counterproductive to offer an alternative. Good thinking...not. Lock them in their rooms until they "get it" instead of offering something better. This is a donation fund, so it's not affecting your taxes.

I'm not opposed to attempts to address the root problem; I'd rather give the family time to grieve. It's called compassion regardless of facts. Obviously, you have never had someone close to you die or just didn't care enough to grieve. Probably too busy on your computer looking to blame Liberals for it.

dundalk 7 years, 1 month ago

Bikegirl: Karma. Yeah, I look in the mirror every AM, then put on my scrubs and go to work. I wait, sadly I might add, for the youth of this community to come to my job so that I can help put them back together. I hold the basin under their chins when they are puking up the drugs and booze they consume.

I'm the one who stands next to them, puts in the IV, calms them down, tells them they're going to be okay and not to worry. I stand next to parents and help them pull things together when their kid is brought in after an MVA, drunk, stoned, drugged...whatever condition the kid is in.

I am the one who goes home after my shift and cries for the loss of life too young. I take every single kid 's experience home with me at night and pray that someone in their life will acknowledge the problem of underage drinking, drugs and general lax that so many of these kids face.

Don't tell me about karma sweetie...I live it every single day!

dundalk 7 years, 1 month ago

P.S. To Kathy: You answered my questions yesterday. Thank you.

bikegirl 7 years, 1 month ago

DUNDALK- THEN YOU SHOULD BE COMPASSIONATE AND UNDERSTAND THAT THESE KIDS DONT ALL HAVE GUIDANCE,NOT BASH THE FAMILIES.I TOO SEE IT ALL AS A TEACHER.WHAT I AM SAYING IS WHAT WE BOTH DO DOES MAKE A,[HOWEVER SMALL] DIFFERENCE TO SOME,NOT ALL OF THESE KIDS.I UNDERSTAND THE FRUSTRATION BUT WE CANT FIX EVERYTHING .KEEP PRAYING

dundalk 7 years, 1 month ago

Sheer waste and utter disgust will only arise an emotion in me which is that we fail our children if we must be forced to bury them far before their time. My compassion is limitless. My patience for children is also without limit. However, to those adults who have left their children to the wolves for their poor choices is, however, less.

Since you are a teacher, I implore you to look towards a future where we don't read of kids dropping out of school. One of the greatest assets we, as a society, have is the opportunity to learn, attend school without fear of death and make something of ourselves.

Third world countries allow educators to come and introduce education to the children. Why can't some in this great country see that we OWE children at least the very basic fundamentals so that wise choices and decisions can be made.

learn4life 7 years, 1 month ago

Dundalk up until this last post I have understood everything you have said. I read these post trying to take the point of view of where each person is coming from. I am an educator that worked with one of these boys directly.
Every child does deserve to better their life through education, but some kids and their parents are not willing to do this. One of the boys was habitual absent from school, was more than on one occasion suspended for fighting with good students and could be disruptive to the class. Mandatory schooling would only cause more issues for those kids that are trying to better themselves through education. Many people in the schools tried to work with this young man and help him but they were not being met even 1/4th of the way.
To those of you that are letting your emotions get the better of you, remeber that your thoughts are taken more seriously when your writing is legible - this includes spelling.
Adults let's teach not preach - our words will carry more weight when done so in a respectful and understandable manner. First tule of teaching establish a rapport.

bikegirl 7 years, 1 month ago

When a young life ends tragically,and senselessly,we are brought to the very core of our being,we get angry ,we are outraged,we blame,we are all grieving in our own ways,It sounds like we are all passionate about our work with kids,I agree with you learn4life,over the years I have been touched by families really trying and disheartened by families that just don't care.I think dundalk that we do Do our very best every day,as I said before I have come to realize that all my best efforts cannot reach every child out there but I am grateful for the kids that do make it and grow up to be healthy young people.STAY HUMAN

dundalk 7 years, 1 month ago

Learn:

In all the third world countries I have visited throughout my life, one thing has amazed me. Education. Kids sitting in grass shacks, with no windows, no running water, no game boy, no immunizations. They share chalk plates, pencils and imagination. They consider it a gift, an honor to be able to sit in small wooden chairs and learn English, learn about life outside their tragedies; tragedies I might add which are not simply Mom or Dad being a jerk, drunk or drug addict. Most have lost a parent to either disease, war or an untimely death at the hands of regimes which are not democratic.

Yet, here in the greatest democracy on Earth, a place where there are funds available for education, we have kids who are chronically absent, truant, or simply say to hell with it. And you know what is more deplorable - NO ONE gives a damn about it. We seem to pass it off as yet another failure in the system, blame everyone but ourselves. Quite frankly I am sick of it.

Clarence was a born to a poor family, lived in a one room shack, with dirt floors and no mother or father. His grandmother in her wisdom realized the importance of education, and sent him to be schooled by catholic nuns. Do you know whom I speak of? Some might say he had the greatest of adverse conditions in which to breach. But, with determination and with teachers and a grandmother who believed in him, Clarence went on to become one of the finest Supreme Court Justices this country has ever had.

You might know him as Clarence Thomas, a poor, black, motherless kid, who was lucky enough to overcome the shortcomings he was bequeathed because just one person believed he was worth the effort.

dundalk 7 years, 1 month ago

Maybe we can teach kids that they are someone. Lessons are often times rough...but the end can be better than what we've seen here over the past few days.

candylane 7 years, 1 month ago

There was an alternative school in South Routt and it was run by an awesome teacher. But because of funding, SOROCO didn't have the money for teachers (my children told me), it was move to ...ahh...oh yeah Steamboat Springs. The children from here could drive every day to Steamboat to go to school and continue at the alternative school, and some do. Some drive as far as from Yampa to attend school. Of course there are some that started and for what ever reason, it became an issue to drive back and forth (maybe it was transportation). What South Routt could do with a few bucks. Oh yeah that was a different article right? South Routt board members worry about money for furnaces to keep children warm and Steamboat worries about who released emails. And children pay the price!

cargo 7 years, 1 month ago

The time is here to say goodby to these boys and comfort the families as best we can. Yep. These beautiful boys have families that love them very much.......and they are here. Whatever it is that you think you will accomplish by pointing fingers and crude remarks, we know it is not to comfort those who lost so very much. Whatever you think of these children or their families, they are not near the idiotic, stupid or careless freaks that you judgemental, self-rightous know- it -alls are. You may look in the mirror every morning but you CAN NOT POSSIBLY like what you see. To those of you who have shared your kind thoughts and prayers, thank you and bless you for not letting the "perfect people" be left unanswered. The families have been on these sites and although the meaness has hurt, the kindeness has helped to overide it.

emra 7 years, 1 month ago

Is there anyone who would be willing to let me e-mail pictures of Chris to them to print out and give to his mother for the service on sat

bikegirl 7 years, 1 month ago

cargo -I speak for many a steamboat parent here,we are sending our prayers and thoughts to the families and friends of these two young men.As I said before,the people who judge are lacking in compassion at this time.peace to all the s.routt community.We are all one part of a whole community when it comes to caring about our kids.

cargo 7 years, 1 month ago

sbvor, There is a time for all of that......it is NOT now. Let the children's service get over. Many, many people are thinking of constructive ways to try and help deal with the age old problem. It WILL NOT HAPPEN TODAY. Blaming anyone will not help......if help is truly what you want to do. I find it hard to believe you "share the grief", but you are definitely adding to it. Your choice. I will never understand why though:( The crap you imagine in your perfect little brain are not the "facts", therefore you cannot share them. (the facts) You act as though you are the only one who knows how to make this type of ACCIDENT never happen again. Get on it wise one. We can share your "cure all for teen foolishness" to the world. Maybe you could write a "One and only way to parent correctly" book while you are at it. Are you the 2nd coming??....since you are perfect and all.....you must at least think you are. Does the Father know how you are acting?

Bikegirl and the rest of the humans - THANK YOU!

Matthew Stoddard 7 years, 1 month ago

SBvor- See? That's the difference between you and about the majority of other people: you read about stuff; we live it. Done with this thread now to actually live life.

cargo 7 years, 1 month ago

Many, many people are trying to work out ways to help with this problem. They are not blaming others, blaming parents of dead children before they even have them properlt burried or generally pissing EVERYONE off with their "I know everything and I'm perfect" attitude. Have you noticed that the vast majority of posts on these threads are vastly different from yours? You can not possibly mourn this loss when you repeatedly have done your best to add more pain AND anger for the parents, others that witnessed this tragedy and basically everyone else that knew these boys. If you know a way to solve this age old problem, let's tell the world. You could even write a book on the one and only way to "Be a perfect parent" because you obviously know. I have always helped in any way I can, whenever I can.....and I don't do it by hurting those who need helped the most. I'm with Matt. We all need to let you sit here and rant to yourself. You have made the cuts so much deeper for so many.....but hey.....you can look in the mirror..........can't possibly like what you see though. Let the services conclude and at least a little of the healing process begin before you tell everyone how stupid and horrible they are......just this once.......give it a rest until the investigation clarifys what they can. Come to the candlelight vigil tonight and then tell me that these kids did not learn anything.

dundalk 7 years, 1 month ago

Cargo:

There's a reason why you are not Mayor anymore. Thank God for that.

katrinkakelly 7 years, 1 month ago

I second that motion. Actually, I one hundreth that motion!

katrinkakelly 7 years, 1 month ago

I agree with Cargo last posting @ 2:11pm.

GIVE IT A REST!

JazzSlave 7 years, 1 month ago

cargo:

This incident was not immaculately conceived. The victims did not spontaneously combust. This awful mess was the result of absolutely mind-boggling recklessness and carelessness, for which someone is responsible, and to which multiple individuals likely contributed. Identifying those people and allocating the responsibility appropriately is a necessary first step. You can whine all you like about people being "blamed", but at the end of the day blame will be assigned.

Not only do all of us mourn the loss of the two young men, we're pissed off that it happened at all, and would prefer that it not happen again. Anguish over the loss and anger over the circumstances are not mutually exclusive. If our discussion about that makes you uncomfortable, then feel free to ignore it. Constructive suggestions have been offered here, in numerous threads, over the past several days. That anger & frustration have been components of the conversation falls under the heading of "too bad." Two kids are dead and they should be alive. It chaps my a$$, so don't presume to pontificate about how 'I think I'm perfect' far from it, and one has nothing to do with the other. And for the record, I'm quite happy with my reflection. So take your self-righteousness and stick it where the sun don't shine.

bikegirl 7 years, 1 month ago

what a shame that your small community is divided by this tragedy,instead of embracing and supporting one another to reach solutions.All towns have problems and differences,some of you are just bitter and nasty.In order to reach solutions there have to be mature adults with rational thinking working toward a common goal.How about you let the families at least bury their children in peace and dignity.Give them solace. stay human

bikegirl 7 years, 1 month ago

cargo -i wish we had more people like you in some of our elected positions,stay strong

dundalk 7 years, 1 month ago

Good grief! Maybe Cargo and Wall can get together and start a teen program since Wall just dumped the seniors.

JQPUBLIC 7 years, 1 month ago

sbvor... you are asking the impossible, the do as I say, not as I do approach doesn't work.

Some of the very caring people on this forum will do what they do best, grandstand their compassion for the families while ignoring the cause of this tragedy. I'm waiting to see how long it will take for these self appointed angels of mercy to stage a benefit for the grieving families.... in the local bar!

Sounds cold but check past performances.

dundalk... too late, they got together to get king wall elected, more campaign promises to fulfill.

nooneknows 7 years, 1 month ago

WE JUST BARRIED A NEPHEW, AND A FRIND OF A NEWPHEW ON SATURDAY, AND ALL I HAVE TO SAY IS, HEARTLESS, HEARTLESS, HEARTLESS, HEARTLESS, WAIT TILL ITS YOUR OWN, AND THEN COMMENT YOUR NASTY WORDS