Briefs for July 26

Hamm granted continuance in alleged stabbing case

— The prosecution of a man accused of stabbing another man during a fight at a downtown Steamboat Springs bar July 6 has been put on hold for two weeks. Because of a change in legal counsel, Christopher Allen Hamm was granted a continuance in Routt County Court on Wednesday by Judge James Garrecht. Hamm is scheduled to reappear at 2 p.m. Aug. 8.

Hamm was arrested

July 11 on suspicion of second-degree assault and bias-motivated crime, both felonies. Hamm, a Michigan resident who is working in Steamboat Springs, was arrested on suspicion he stabbed Alfred Turner in the leg at Sunpie's Bistro after telling Turner to stop talking to two white women. Turner is black.

Last day to collect prizes for reading Aug. 3

Bud Werner Memorial Library reminds children

ages 5 to 10 who are participating in the "READ!

The Sky's the Limit" summer reading program that they have until Aug. 3 to finish their reading game. The last day to collect prizes for reading is Aug. 3. Call the children's library at 879-0240 for more information.

Alive At 25 defensive driving class Aug. 7

The next Alive At 25 defensive driving class, which is required for all Steamboat Springs High School students who want to park on

campus or apply for open campus privileges, is from 2

to 6:30 p.m. Aug. 7 at the

high school. The class is open to any interested new drivers who want to get their learner's permit at age 15 1/2. Students can sign up and pay the $30 class fee online at Alive-At-25.org. Call Dennis Hensen at 871-3685 or Deb Funston at 871-3643 for more information.

Seniors who have already taken the Alive At 25 class

are required to take a two-

hour refresher class, the first

of which will be offered from 10 a.m. to noon Aug. 7. There is no cost for this class, and seniors can sign up by calling 871-3685 and leaving a message with their name, phone number and the date of the class they want to attend.

Comments

JOJO555 7 years, 4 months ago

WHY IS IT THAT WE ONLY HEAR TURNERS SIDE OF THE WHOLE STABBING STORY?? LETS HEAR WHAT CHRIS HAS TO SAY?? THERE IS ALWAYS TWO SIDES OF A STORY AND I AM SICK OF HEARING ONLY ONE??

fish 7 years, 4 months ago

Geeze I wonder why you won't here Chris's side of the story in the paper. Maybe he is not talking to people right now because his lawyer told him to keep his mouth shut, because what ever he says can be used in a court of law to convict him, dumb @ss.

JOJO555 7 years, 4 months ago

Maybe no one has asked him for his side ever think of that maybe he wants to get it out to everyone in his definse so people dont think he is some monster when he could really be a good guy who knows though cause people like you are not willing to hear it cause this town is so stuck to thier own stupid ways

lollol 7 years, 4 months ago

I THINK THERE IS ALWAYS TWO SIDES TO ANY STORY AND THE WAY THE PAPER HAS WROTE THE ARTICLES IS WRONG. AND WHO EVER READS THEM AND PASSES JUDGEMENT WITH OUT HEARING THE WHOLE STORY IS ALSO IN THE WRONG. I AM INTERESTED TO FIND OUT IF ANY ONE FROM THE PAPER HAS EVEN CONTACTED CHRIS TO ASK HIM WHAT HAPPENED.

fish 7 years, 4 months ago

Wow you really are dumb, this guy could and probably will be charged with attempted murder, how dumb do you think he would have to be to discuss his case with you or the paper.

lollol 7 years, 4 months ago

WHERE DO YOU GET OFF CALLING PEOPLE DUMB I WOULD LOVE TO KNOW! AND HOW DO YOU PERSUME TO TELL EVERYONE HOW HE WILL BE CHARED ARE YOU THE JUDGE IN THE CASE.............. DIDNT THINK SO

fish 7 years, 4 months ago

I am not presuming how he will be charged, but I think that a person (whether or not it is you or someone else) thinks that this guy would discuss his case before it makes it's way through the court system would have to be really stupid. I sure that even you can see that since he has not been tried yet that any comments that he would make about this case could be used against him. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out that the best way this guy can help himself is to keep his mouth shut. Oh, and given our esteemed DA's record I am sure that this guy will get everything in the book thrown at him or he will get a slap on the wrist, there really doesn't seem to be a middleground with them.

fish 7 years, 4 months ago

Oh, and I guess that I am calling you an idiot because you are the one that apparantly wanted him to do an interview with the Pilot so that you could know his side of the story.

madmoores 7 years, 4 months ago

Miranda rights:

1. You have the right to remain silent and refuse to answer questions. Do you understand?
  2. Anything you do say may be used against you in a court of law. Do you understand?

For the link happy type: http://publicdefender.cjis20.org/miranda.htm

Also refer to the blue box on the bottom left hand side where it says:

"I will not talk to you(presuming the arresting officer)or ANYONE about ANYTHING"

I agree with fish. Due to the nature of the incident and the possibility of a hate crime charge, his attorney probably told him to keep quiet, refer to miranda rights #1 & #2 above. Like it or not, everyone has these rights in the face of the law. These rights do not apply only after the arrest but anytime thereafter, such as an interview with the paper or a post to appease curious public forum lurkers.

seabirth 7 years, 4 months ago

me just a widdle kiddie, me never heard of ebonics..... but i have heard of backpedaling and spinning... and it looks like i'm witnessing you do it right here.

with the state of grammar and spelling in this forum, singling one post out and then bringing up ebonics to explain a racist statement would be like sbvor supporting hillary clinton.... unpossible.

justice4576 7 years, 4 months ago

Well because I have an inside track to this none of you have I will admit two things one I am a very close friend of Christopher's an two I'm black. I found it interesting that a description hasn't been given in your paper about how tall the black man is. His weight. I also find it interesting that he waited not one but two an half hours later. Makes ya wonder where you get your officers. Course out your way they dance in the middle of the woods an have a sacrafice to an owl or is that California ya know all your states out that way are kinda fruity seems like your style of justice is fruity too. KEEPIN IT REAL FROM THE HOODS OF DETRIOT PEACE OUT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! JUstice4576!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

dundalk 7 years, 4 months ago

You did not need to inform us of your ethnic streak, your deplorable post of improper english application says it all.

dave reynolds 7 years, 4 months ago

JOJO555..proving once again drugs make you stupid..oh wait I should presume that hes innocent untill proven guilty...HELLO MCFLY if he discusses his caes hes as good as fried..you are reacting on emotion rather than reason...lets just see how it plays out.

seabirth 7 years, 4 months ago

wow, truly sad dundalk... i can just sit here and shake my head.

just disgraceful.

corduroy 7 years, 4 months ago

sounds like a few of our commenters have a few racial discrimination issues to work out themselves.. For shame

dundalk 7 years, 4 months ago

seabirth and corduroy:

Perhaps you have missed the numerous studies on what english professionals refer to as the trend-setting stupidity more commonly referred to as Eubonics.

Quick, quick little children, run to your computers and google the term, and find out that my comment is not racially motivated by color of the largest living body system but rather by a new trend where "hoe" and "nappy" are coined phrases acceptable in the world of Eubonics.

dundalk 7 years, 4 months ago

Whoops! Had a brief Bob Eubanks flashback...

EBONICS..

dundalk 7 years, 4 months ago

In the history of my posts, one could hardly claim that I single out people. I detest incorrect grammar and the murder of the English language, and have no problem bringing that poster to task when they appear incapable of simple sentence structure.

And just to make you feel good about your own inaccuracies, Seabirth, I don't have a racist bone in my body when it comes to color of skin. My angst stems from people who are ignorant and then use the color card as a reason behind their shortcomings.

Have a nice day. I'll keep pumping the bike forward!

AJonesFan 7 years, 4 months ago

I really don't see how anyone here missed the obvious that this Turner fellow already lost his credibility. I feel that everything he says is a lie. If some man said an did the things this man claims I ask ya would you let him walk out of the bar. Would the owner risk prosecution for lettin him go.