SOS RE-2 Committee: Recall sends message

The recall petition for School Board member John DeVincentis was signed by 2,249 voters. In order for his name to be placed on this November's ballot, 1,933 of those had to pass the stringent legal tests that a serious matter such as this requires. Our eight-person, inexperienced and volunteer committee, along with more than 50 other volunteers, worked exhaustively for the mandated 60 days during which these signatures had to be gathered. Had we had more financial resources to hire staff to compare signatures with their addresses or had we had seven days to contact signers who signed petitions whose staples had come out or were similarly invalidated, we believe the petition would have succeeded.

According to the Clerk and Recorder's Office, 470 signatures were invalidated.

- Incorrect addresses - 167

- Signatures on disallowed petitions - 117

- Not registered - 77

- Valid but duplicated signatures - 29

- Other - 80

- Signatures withdrawn - 2

These invalidations left the petition 154 signatures short of the required total.

Our committee would like to thank those 2,247 concerned community members who had the courage to take a stand against what we - and they - believe was unacceptable behavior in an elected official. We would like to thank those who carried the petitions for their calm and professional prospective - sometimes in the face of heated confrontations.

While this recall effort was unsuccessful, John DeVincentis and the School Board are now aware that invalidated or not, over 2,000 registered voters believe he should not be representing our district. Most believe the Board should have advised him to resign.

Not much that has transpired over this issue is cause for celebration. Had the recall petition been successful, our committee certainly would not have celebrated. There were no winners here, except possibly the process. We have all - both sides as well as the uncommitted - discussed the issue at length. We are all more aware of the School Board's actions and goals. We have all formed more definitive opinions regarding board members' behavior.

We hope the School Board understands that a significant number of the community made an effort to sign this petition. And while those same community members want the district's focus on our children, a clearer ethical standard to which they will hold their elected officials has emerged. We hope the School Board has heard and will respect the political will and conscience of over 2,200 recall supporters.

SOS RE-2 Committee

Steamboat Springs

Comments

dimwitiguess 7 years, 5 months ago

dreamdriver23, so did you sign your real name, i thought it said anonymous behind your moniker - or am i wrong?

dimwitiguess 7 years, 5 months ago

You are a group of people who have little influence on residents of this town. If... If...If... You tried to enroll people under the influence of alcohol. You went to Doak Walker. You didn't tell the truth to people you were asking to sign. You had duplicate signatures. You had a petitioner who wasn't registered. Some signers weren't even smart enough to know where they live. If you miss the bus by a 1/2 second, you still missed the bus. Swiggart, Dixson, Miller-Fruetel, Black, Gleason, Stephenson, Gill, Loomis, and Havener lost their effort and now they are licking their wounds. If you were doing such a GREAT thing for the rest of us and the school district, you would have crossed your t's and dotted your i's. Your letter highlights your incompetence. I wouldn't do business with any of the people who led this charge. It is quite apparent to us common folk that your skills, leadership, and most importantly, your motives are highly questionable.

dogd 7 years, 5 months ago

A couple of the most disgusting developments in our TV driven culture came together in this mob action- gotcha-journalism and voting people off the island.

I too am less than impressed by this whole petition thing and it's glass house perpetrators.

jeannie berger 7 years, 5 months ago

Sign your name to your letter so that we don't have to do business with you. At least these folks had the courage of their convictions to put their names on the front line of the battle. I applaud them and the hard work they did. You, dimwit, only want to disparage them anonymously. It takes guts to take a stand, I guess you don't have any.

Jeannie Berger

dogd 7 years, 5 months ago

"so we don't have to do business with you" . Jeannie Berger, where did you move here from and why did you bring exactly the kind of vindictiveness which you (I'll say it again) glass-house saints are attempting to fry Dr. D for . Anonymous forums can be abused, but they also allow for truth to be told without fear of retribution from people like... well ....Jeannie-Burger.

jeannie berger 7 years, 5 months ago

Well jeez, I didn't know you had to be a native to a part of things here in SS. I have only been here about 29 years, and I was replying to the vindictiveness put out by dimwitiguess and his/her vitriol. Just happened that my post appeared right after yours. No, I am am not apologizing for my opinion but I guess I stepped on your toes dogd. I would say that as far as truth being told on this forum, anyone can say anything when they are posting anonymously, doesn't mean it is the truth. I decided to get out of the anonymous closet because it was getting kinda crowded and stinky...ha, ha, ha. Dogd, you could at least make sure you spell my name right. Oh, I see, I guess it was a play on words, doh.

jeannie berger 7 years, 5 months ago

yes I signed my real name to the above letter, just didn't change my setting on my log in, need to get to work now, gotta pay the bills just like everyone else.

mom 7 years, 5 months ago

SOS needs to G-E-T O-V-E-R I-T. We all know it failed and with good reason. Move on.

elphaba 7 years, 5 months ago

Is it time now for the retribution on the children and parents of those who signed or does that come later??

mom 7 years, 5 months ago

public knowledge is not a weapon but a reality

Matthew Stoddard 7 years, 5 months ago

Elphaba- Is that the sort of retribution dreamriver23 (Jeannie Berger) just talked about, with not doing business with those on the other side of the issue?

dimwitiguess 7 years, 5 months ago

Oh, so you don't think there was retribution in all of this hoopla with Dr. D? The reason my friends and I support this new board is we wanted to put an end to the pay backs and we wanted a new direction. However, whatever happens to Howell, if it is negative, she has brought on herself by not working with this board and deceitfully working with those to intentionally undermine Dr. D. and this board. This board needs to send her packing, and that is what should happen when a superintendent gets political rather than realizing that every two to four years her "boss" may change. It is up to her to support any board and its direction. If the supt. thinks there's a better way then her job is to convince the board. If she can't, she needs to make a decision. But beware of the consequences if she intentionally attempts to undermine, work with the newspaper against the board, and allow the administration to become insubordinate. Dr. D. left even though he didn't want to because he understood that things had changed and there were two choices, retire or get into another public battle. He chose wisely. Too bad Howell didn't. This board needs to make a hard choice. Do they think it will get better with Howell especially now that her evaluation went down the tubes? No. The former board put Howell in a place where she thought she was infallible and could do anything she wanted without regard for a new board and a new direction. That was a costly error.