Randy Fox: Trucks: Stay right

— Have you noticed lately that all large trucks passing through Steamboat are always in the left driving lane. Large trucks such as cement trucks, dirt trucks, log trucks, etc.

They seem to always be in a hurry to pick up another load. I thought the common road rule was that the left lane was for faster traffic and the right lane was for slower and more cautious drivers. It's petrifying to you to have one of these trucks on your rear end, thinking that the light is quickly going to turn red and that awful feeling that one of them is going over the top of you, if you dare try to stop. It's only a matter of time.

Solution? Post signs that state all large trucks stay in the right lane, unless turning, while passing through Steamboat Springs or they will be ticketed. I shouldn't have said all trucks, I really meant nine out of 10, and I shouldn't have said all drivers, I really meant just the ones who are in a hurry. Take a look around you and see if I'm not half right.

Randy Fox

Steamboat Springs

Comments

ranch76 7 years, 5 months ago

It is alot more petrifying for the drivers of big trucks to aviod cars wanting to turn in front of them all the time, trying to make a left hand turn,watching for people and bicycles. Imagine trying to stop those things on a dime when someone in the right hand lane is parked and opens the car door! They are just doing their job and are alot safer in the left lane.

dave reynolds 7 years, 5 months ago

I drive for a living ..I can not tell you how many timesa car has passed me only to pull back in front of me and slam on his/her brakes so they can make that left turn..you feel scared the drivers of the trucks fell the same way cause if you rear end a car its your fault period..no matter what the driver did in front of you..trucks are safer on the road than most motor vechiles because of all the CDOT regulations they are required to follow..they weigh anywhere betwen 30,000 to 60,000 lbs loaded.so beleive me they are careful no one wants a death or maming someone on their conscience..I can tell you how many times someone has zipped passed me pulled back into my lane and slammed on thier brakes..talk about a death wish..your right they cann't stop on a dime so all of us need to be respectfull of each other..I do drive in the left lane cause of all the doors suddenly flying open,people suddenly stopping to let their families out in front of a store..I fell more in control of the events in that lane..sorry..if you have a friend take drives truck ride with him for a couple of days and you'll see a whole different perspective

Matthew Stoddard 7 years, 5 months ago

Considering all the bikers getting hit, telling large trucks to stay in the right lane won't help lower the odds that it will happen again.

stillinsteamboat 7 years, 5 months ago

Give the truckers a break. Imagine how difficult it is for them to do their job in the midst of all the chaos. We all lose our cool with the downtown traffic. Imagine manuvering one of those huge trucks with tourists darting in front of you. You should blame the city and the chamber for the overcrowding and construction they support!!!

madmoores 7 years, 5 months ago

I drove a large vehicle(F-550 box-type, 30,000# loaded)through Steamboat delivering goods to towns all along Hwy. 40 clear up to Winter Park. I always used the left lane, in every town(Steamboat was hands down the scariest), for all the reasons listed by those above. Sight is limited on the right side of the truck, you don't have a good feel of how close to the parked cars you are, and then the doors come open. In all of the mountain resort type towns I drove through, the "rule" was for large trucks to keep in the left lane, it is simply safer that way. The truckers ARE watching out for you, do you think they want their CDL pulled and lose their job for colliding with some knuckleheaded driver who needs to save 30 seconds? I think not. I think this guy is one of those that is just in too big of a hurry and is whining about his "entitlement" to drive in the so called fast lane. This ain't the freeway pal, slow down and watch out.

Zalobar 7 years, 5 months ago

The only reason there are not more incidents involving these trucks is that these drivers are Professionals. They make their living doing what they do. Some times 55 hours a week they must keep their cool while being tested by the hurry up driver going to the post office during their lunch break. It takes 5 to 6 shifts to attain the speed of 25mph. Only to be stopped by the next traffic light. This can happen up to 6 times from Pinegrove rd. to 13th st. and again at Hwy 129. These vehicles just arent fast enough to make it to the next light before it changes red again. The light system in SS is configured to keep traffic in town as long as posible creating an artificial traffic jam, not to facilitate the free movement of traffic through town. We all know why. You can also thank your ever wise County commishioners and City council for refusing to allow any gravel mining operations south of SS where 90% of all the development is happening. Forcing all waste to be hauled through town to Duckels or Precision in Milner and for all graded materials to come from west of town as well. I hope you really dont think these Professional drivers are having fun driving through town loaded or not, 6 or more times a day each way. They cant afford to be in a hurry, Try driving through SS for 10 hours a day 5 days a week. Then you will know what a Professional driver encounters. They will find the lane to accomodate their projected turn right or left as soon as they can. When they drive a truck where 4 or 5 cars can and do run allong side them, not passing just being there, how can they change lanes to prepare for a turn? If they slow down to let traffic next to them get ahead so they can change lanes, signaling doesnt help. The cars behind them will start going around them in the lane they want to move to, Continuing to block their effort to change lanes for a turn. They cna position themselves 2 or more miles ahead of time for a turn left at Anglers or to exit at Mt Werner. The fact that These Professionals dont have more road rage than they do is a miracle. They are more than likely to be of assistance to the driver in trouble, then dissapear without recognition after official help arrives. If they do become upset with a car or pickup driver it is because that driver took their own lives and put it in danger by passing and cutting off the truck just to prove a point, thay they are upset whit the truck for being slow. The trucker might be checking his mirror to see who is next to be passing, not noticing that the one who just passed is right there ready to be crushed like a pop can. Imagine an 85000# 18 wheeler rolling over your 6000# pickup because you needed to get smart with the truck driver. Good thing he took evasive measures and saved your life. Then when he catches up with you in town, he saves your life again by not getting out of his truck and choaking the life out of you just because you deserve it!!

fish 7 years, 5 months ago

The sad thing is the idiot who wrote this probably thinks that driving a truck is no different than driving his car. I would like to see him drive something other than his mouth and then see if he sings a different tune.

dave reynolds 7 years, 5 months ago

Zalobar your dead on right heres a few of my experiences..urning right off of curve drive on to Hwy 40..i stop look traffic is way back so I pull into the merging lane with my blinker on and Holy Cow the cars that where at least a1/4 mile back are all now forcing the issue to let me into the lane of traffic..once I had to stay in the right lane till Alpine Taxi....turning right of Walon Creek Road into turning lane I turn on my blinker BEFORE the Solid White Line (witch means no passing as well as a solid yellow line) get ready to change lanes when line is spaced and theres a Bimbo(for lack of a better word) right beside me honking a nd showing me her I Q..then she calls my company to complain I tried to run her off the road..my personal favorite was the nimrod who passed me on Apre Ski Way on the left while my blinkler indecated I was turnimng left...I started to turn slammed on my brakes and I was looking down at this nimrods son who I think just S...t himself..I did follow that guy and ripped him a new a....e and told him if he did not have a more regaurd for his sons safty then he should be castarated so he can not father anymore children and then attend a drivers Education class...it is very tring out there

bigdog 7 years, 5 months ago

Looks like the tree-hugging bed-wetters got their wish.... no gravel or cement/asphalt plants in the south valley increasing the traffic through town.

Cause & Effect.

stillinsteamboat 7 years, 5 months ago

Don't you get the no gravel pits on the south valley thing. MONEY TALKS IN THIS VALLEY. Funny, those rich guys use more concrete,gravel asphalt than anyone for their swimming pools,bowling alleys,equestrian centers,amphitheaters. Which equates to more truck traffic in town.

corduroy 7 years, 5 months ago

generally speaking the left lane is the passing lane, whereas the right lane is the "travel" lane

However, seeing as our highway is so narrow through town, and with people parallel parking, opening car doors, darting out between cars, etc. I've learned that from 3rd to 13th, the left lane is the travel lane, and the right lane is actually loading/unloading/parking lane.

Wait til you clip a door someone opens, or a rearview mirror, then you'll see what I'm talking about

Zalobar 7 years, 5 months ago

Remember when the old Paradise blew up? Shortly thereafter some one had the idea of making Oak st. one way west and Yampa one way east giving the through traffic a chance at getting through and outa town. Lincoln could have becone two lane with diagonal parking. Giving the real shopper a more friendly commercial core to play in. The fancy sale of the 3dr st right of way to we know who, sure put the dampers to that awesome idea forever.

logbuilder 7 years, 5 months ago

What planet is this guy living on? And why did the paper print this? Slow news day? No breaking scandal? In this town?