Murray Tucker: Leap to the left

I do not contemplate that I will convince conservatives to switch from their entrenched position. Nor do I care to preach to the choir of another 30 percent who stubbornly hold to diametrically opposed positions. My desire is to present some personal observations and conclusions hoping to inspire fence-sitters to fall left.

In the 20th Century, Democrats resided in the White House for 48 years; Republicans for 52 years. Most interesting is how the Democratic presidents captured the White House.

- Woodrow Wilson, 1912: Teddy Roosevelt ran a third party opposing his chosen successor, Taft.

- Franklin D. Roosevelt, 1932: Hoover's USA had sunk into the Great Depression. The public was desperate for a change.

- Truman succeeded FDR, who died in office. He was re-elected in 1948.

- John F. Kennedy, 1960: Defeated Nixon in a very close race that many will say was surrounded by concerns of voter fraud in Illinois. Lyndon B. Johnson succeeded Kennedy and was re-elected when opposed by Goldwater, whose conservative philosophy did not mesh with the voting public.

- Jimmy Carter, 1976: Watergate had blackened the Republican Party's reputation. Reagan defeated Carter in 1980 when a third-party candidate provided an option to Carter's very poor administration.

- Bill Clinton, 1992: George H.W. Bush promised "no new taxes," then signed a bill authorizing an increase in the gasoline tax.

The point of recounting the history of Democrats in the White House is to point out that Republicans often lost because they shot themselves in the foot. Whether the echo of the gunfire will continue to November 2008 is anyone's guess.

Here are some of the bullets:

1. The Bush Supreme Court reinstituted Separate But Equal, alienating many blacks who may show up to vote in the next election.

2. Talk radio and television demagogues, darlings of the right, pushed denial of an immigration policy. Hispanic voters who helped elect George W. Bush may have switched loyalty to the Democrats, most of whom, in the Senate, supported the change.

3. Three Republican candidates for president stated that they do not hold to the theory of evolution.

4. The Imperial Presidency returned in force, personified by the vice president who has become known in many circles as "Tricky Dicky II."

5. The 2006 election turnout that put Democrats back in majority control of Congress has had little impact on why the public voted this way.

6. The Bush Administration continued its poor management of the Iraq War, failing to provide the resources for fighting the initial source of terrorism in the U.S. - Afghanistan.

I must admit the Republicans seem to be able to arouse a passion in the electorate that Democrats, except for the Iraq War, have not achieved. When only a slight majority of the electorate votes, that passionate corps can achieve victory. That is not my message, it is that of Karl Rove.

The topics of a progressive agenda contrast with the messages of the conservative agenda:

- A woman's right to choose - Infanticide

- Universal health care - A woman's right to choose her doctor

- Documenting the undocumented - Amnesty for illegals

- Federal support for education - Education is a local matter

- Get out of Iraq - Support our troops

- Protect the environment - Self-sufficiency for energy

Reading the conservative editorials in the Pilot & Today, I have little hope of swaying this group to support more than one of the items in the progressive agenda. My only hope is that those of you on the fence begin to clearly see the road this group is leading you down.

Tucker is a Steamboat Springs resident.

Comments

Neil O'Keeffe 7 years, 4 months ago

How about putting someone, anyone that can ba a real uniter not a divider? Regardless of party affiliation there are plenty of past sins (both parties) to clear up. Is this possible? Believe!

Matthew Stoddard 7 years, 4 months ago

Rokboat- won't happen until we have a viable 3rd party candidate who can incorporate the best of both sides. Time Magazine has an article about this and talks about Bloomberg.

We need someone like Ross Perot again, but not insane.

nikobesti 7 years, 4 months ago

Yeah, sometimes I think of voting for a moderate in '08 too, someone who can bring this country together. But after reading sbvor's ignorant rants, I've decided to vote for Hillary just to chafe his a*s. It's gunna be so sweet. Too bad we couldn't vote for someone more liberal. Payback, baby! You better cut out a few more hours of sleep so you can throw more tantrums on the forum my man! I can't wait.

nikobesti 7 years, 4 months ago

Ha! Good one sbvor.

I of course, am kidding. It depends what happens in the next year, but right now I can't see how Obama isn't my man. Of course if I'm stuck with Hillary after the primary, the choice will be easy regardless of whom the GOP runs. I hope these 8 years are worth it, cause this administration has so badly damaged our once great nation that the pendulum has and will continue to swing left.

I am right there with you on stupid voters--when a majority of Americans voted for Dubya in 04, I knew then we're in deep, serious trouble. And I was right. According to every poll, many of these folks have figured this out. There are a few stuborn Bushies still blindly trying to maintain this administration is not a comlete disaster and affront to the Constitution and ideals of America. Sure you're familiar with one or two of these guys.....

Murray Tucker 7 years, 4 months ago

Yes Mr. sbvor I am Murray Tucker. I do not like to present my thoughts and hide behind a Bush.

The editor eliminated my first line: "A man convinced against his will is of the same opinion, still." You might also read that my writing is not intended for you because you are blind and deaf. I am actually praising the political capabilities of the Republican Party in this message and decrying the lack of town criers like that great druggie, Rush Limbaugh who, like the tent evangelists of my youth, could breath hell's fire and damnation and cure anyone.

The truth of the matter is that Democratic Presidential candidates tend to equivocate (in your jargon, "flip-flop") or are just plain dull.

You are stuck on War- Iraq, Vietnam and probably the next one you hope to have your children and grandchildren fight.

Islamo-Fascists. What a wonderful swear word. Conjures up Hitler and Mussolini AND George W. Bush.

Murray Tucker 7 years, 4 months ago

Mr. sbvor you also make reference to the general term "democracy" and refer to a retired professor of political science who posted his bio on wikipedia.

Hitler was elected. Was Germany a democracy?

The Iranians elect their president (subject to theocratic scrutiny similar to that done by the late Jerry Falwell, James Dobson and Pat Robertson). Is theirs a democracy?

They meet the test. A vote of the people.

Is the U.S. a democracy? Do we directly elect the President? No, and it wasn't until 90 years ago that we began to directly elect the Senate (that Constitutional Amendment may have been a mistake considering how the Senate has turned out!)

Get with it sbvor. Open up your mind. Truth, Justice and the American Way is a comic book phrase. Truth is in the eye of the beholder; Justice is in the power of the elite and the American way is the increasing greed and corruption sponsored by your Party.

spukomy 7 years, 4 months ago

Rudi's the man. Tough on crime and heavy on the tax cuts. I have, however, promised to vote for Hillary, as long as she comes out of the closet.

thalgard 7 years, 4 months ago

sbvor...you support the most fascist and oppressive government our country has seen, the hypocritical and treasonous administration of GW Bush, so below is a quote from that very website that you posted... http://www.hawaii.edu/powerkills/QA.V2.H...like I said before, your an idiot!

• Freedom is the way to economic and human security. • Free people never have famine. • Where people are free, political violence is minimal. • The more freedom a people enjoy, the less likely their government will murder them. • The less free the people within any two nations are, the bloodier and more destructive any war between them will be. • To do away with famine, mass impoverishment, democide (the murder by a government of its own people), and war, promote freedom. • Democratic freedom is a method of nonviolence and an antidote to war.