Charges filed for demo party

Four men facing felonies after damaging house in April

photo

The home at 2075 Walton Creek Road sits in the same condition Monday it was in when owner Jon Wade discovered on April 4 it had been trashed by tenants during a party the night before.

— Four former tenants of a badly damaged home on Walton Creek Road have been charged with felony criminal mischief.

The District Attorney's Office filed the Class 4 felony charges against Raymond Jay, 22; Michael Gatrell, 21; Phillp Hafner, 21; and Samuel Walsh, 21, on June 25.

The men's first court appearance is scheduled for 8:30 a.m. July 31 in Routt County Court.

Court documents indicate that the four men "in a course of a single criminal episode, unlawfully and knowingly damaged the real or personal property" of Jon Wade, who had just closed on the house the men were living in.

The felony charges come after an April 3 "demolition party" where the four men, along with other partiers, caused between $500 and $15,000 worth of damage to the home by breaking windows, doors, appliances, carpet and fixtures. Graffiti, trash and beer bottles were strewn all over the house.

If convicted, the men could face up to six years in prison and a $500,000 fine.

- To reach Alexis DeLaCruz, call 871-4234

or e-mail adelacruz@steamboatpilot.com

Comments

another_local 6 years, 9 months ago

Glad they caught them. If the damage is only 15K (the original story sounded like a LOT more) six years seems like too much... but paying 20K to the LL and another 20K in fines plus 6 months in the hooskow would make the point.

dave reynolds 6 years, 9 months ago

I don't know but I 'd be willing to bet they got a notice that they were going to have to vacate the home and said $#@^'** and decide to trash the place..they should throw the book at them thier ages put them in the catagory of adults(yeah right) so its a good way to send a message to the rest of the non respectable punks that come here for seasonal work..most are respectfull but there are always a few who make a bad name for the good ones..if this goes through with no plea bargin then it will follow them the rest of thier lives.not to be harsh but fry em..like most of you i was brought up to respect my elders,other peoples rights and thier property

Matthew Stoddard 6 years, 9 months ago

I used to babysit in that house 25ish yrs ago. I was a nice place, but I haven't seen the inside for more than 20yrs. I think having the book thrown is appropriate as a lesson learned.

JQPUBLIC 6 years, 9 months ago

What... something go through without a plea bargain?....in routt county?....do you really believe that possible?

Jean 6 years, 9 months ago

They need to talk to Bush (president), maybe he could help them out a bit..

dundalk 6 years, 9 months ago

It's very pleasing to read that these knuckleheads will be forking out some $$$$$ fines to help repair the house they trashed.

Did any of the readers or posters actually stop by the house after the demo party? I did. The damage was deplorable and out right disgusting.

Our neighborhood is considerably quieter since these goons moved out.

Our local newspaper "doctored" the photo that was in the paper. There was some writing on the "Wall" which the SPT censored out.

Scott Stanford 6 years, 9 months ago

All:

The photo that appeared with this story in the print edition was not re-touched. We do not do that without acknowledging the change.

Scott Stanford Editor, Steamboat Pilot & Today (970) 871-4221/(970) 291-9278

spukomy 6 years, 9 months ago

Looking at those pics, $15K sounds like a conservative estimate. Rental-time lost should be considered as well. I'd bet that somewhere there's a video of this night. Jail time, heavy fines and drug/alcohol counciling seem to be in order. These boys need to come of age via a tough lesson.

Matthew Stoddard 6 years, 9 months ago

SBvor= brown noser! LOL!

Just kidding. I could never accuse you of suckin' up to Stanford! Other things: yes, but not suckin' up.

dundalk 6 years, 9 months ago

Webster's Defines: "doctored" 2 a : to adapt or modify for a desired end by alteration or special treatment b : to alter deceptively intransitive verb

If you look at the primary photo which originally appeared in the newspaper, the photo was taken at such an angle that it appeared altered so that the reader couldn't make out all the grafitti on the "wall".

DO I really need to explain this any further?

dundalk 6 years, 9 months ago

Oh golly jeepers...those darn bi-focals only work so well and I guess it's time to hang it up and fade into the furniture as an old lady.

I stand by my comment about doctoring. Given the fact that old Wall had just come into his realm, it seems that our liberal left paper wouldn't dare smear an old Wall montage to give an appropriate representation of what really was on the wall.

That being said, I do think that they )the powers that be) should hang these little bastardos by their huevos and make them pay every single dime to the owner of this house.

I am not kidding when I state that our little enclave is much more quiet.

P..s. given the photos you produced for that particular day...maybe it would have been entertaining to see the "Gary Wall Wuz Here" blasted upon our front page.

dave reynolds 6 years, 9 months ago

I hope this doesn't happen but a deal will be cut..probation,restatution(paid for by Mommy and Daddy) alight slap on the wrist and a scolding...then some wonder why this keeps happening over and over again..accountabilty..throw the book at these punks make them present paychecks to the court and the owner and time in prison..then they can learn the true meaning of being a P.......H..sorry for the language but this stuff happens far to often with little or no concequences

JazzSlave 6 years, 9 months ago

Hey, waitaminute... according to recent sanctimony posted on this board, this kind of mischief can only be the result of nothing else to do after hours "if you're not 21." And now you mean to say that the use of controlled substances might have actually been a CONRIBUTING factor?

Who knew?

I'm glad the punks got caught. Don't drop the soap, boys.

thecondoguy1 6 years, 9 months ago

throw the book at um, and don't worry about the soap, Bubba will get it for them...........

xoxss 6 years, 9 months ago

Why were 4 0f them living there? Remember the news article, four's a crowd.

The previous landlord is partly to blame.

corduroy 6 years, 9 months ago

I don't think its an issue of how many people are living there. We had 4 people in a 2 bedroom for 3 years. But we were actually responsible and not destructive.

It's sounds to me what happened is neither the old landlord or the person buying the property actually came to the tenants BEFORE selling the place, or during the process to let them know (they do sort of have that right) what was going on. They were concerned the new owner would just tear it down and build something new. I would have approached these tenants before the deal was sealed to discuss what was going to happen.

I've lived in a place while it was being sold, and my landlord told me before he even listed it what the deal was. The problem is just no communication. People don't know what's going on, have a few to drink, and things go stupid really fast.

Don't get me wrong, they did illegals things and totally should be punished for it. But show a little remorse, it doesn't sound like the tenants got the full scoop on the purchase, and it certainly doesn't sound like the new owner ever looked at the property or met the tenants before buying. The house has a reputation, I know someone that lived there