Bicyclist injured in collision with car

Driver cited for failing to yield during turn

photo

Steamboat Springs police officer John McCartin leans a bike against a pole Monday. The bike was involved in an accident with a car on Trafalger Drive and U.S. Highway 40 on Monday evening.

A 34-year-old Steamboat Springs woman sustained moderate injuries Monday afternoon when she struck a car that turned in front of her near Lincoln Avenue and Trafalgar Drive.

Steamboat Springs Sgt. Dale Coyner said Catherine Matthewson was riding east on Lincoln Avenue across Trafalgar Drive at about 5:45 p.m. when she ran into the side of a 2002 Toyota sedan that had turned off Lincoln Avenue onto Trafalgar Drive in front of her.

"I kind of turned when I hit her car so my left side took the brunt of the force," Matthewson said Tuesday. "I just sort of T-boned her."

Steamboat Springs resident Sherrilyn Weisberg, 61, was cited for failing to yield while making a left turn as a result of the accident.

Matthewson said she received stitches in her left arm and leg and bilateral contusions to both her right and left sides during the accident.

"It's a pure miracle it wasn't worse," she said.

She was wearing a helmet at the time of the accident, she said.

"Basically, (Weisberg) turned in front of (Matthewson) causing her to strike the right passenger side of the vehicle," Coyner said. Matthewson "had the right-of-way."

Matthewson said she thinks it's important to "conclude" the several accidents involving bicyclists that have occurred the last few days.

"There needs to be a focus on driver awareness - as well as cyclist awareness - that as busy as we are in town right now, everyone needs to pay a little more attention," she said. "No one is to blame - we just need to get used to the fact that there are going to be more and more cyclists on the roads, which is a good thing."

Monday's accident was at least the fourth accident involving a bicyclist and a vehicle in Routt County including an accident Friday involving a 16-year-old girl and a semitrailer in North Routt County.

Comments

thecondoguy1 7 years, 2 months ago

what do you mean "No one is to blame", Ms Mathewson? Ms Weisberg made an illegal left turn, you could have been easily killed, or mamed, except for a few inches, it could have been a child or someones pet. Failure to yeild is against the law, rude and inconsiderate period. I think you are just plain excited to be alive and not wanting to gripe, to much goodwill for me............ that's OK I am plenty pissed for you.

dundalk 7 years, 2 months ago

Hey Onward:

Hope you are feeling better than the last time I saw you. I am the one who scrubbed clean your abrasions, etc. It was a privilege to take care of you.

Have a wonderful trip in Africa.

All the best.

Gumby 7 years, 2 months ago

Twice last week I encountered rude drivers while riding my bike - on Lincoln & Trafalgar.

Everyone is on the phone and not paying attention. Wish we could do something about it.

Onward 7 years, 2 months ago

If I hadn't been on so many pain killers, I may have communicated a little differently with the author of the article but all in all, the message is the same...drivers and riders alike have to be on full alert in a town experiencing more and more traffic. Was she at fault? yes. Could I make the same mistake some day? yes. Would I want someone to understand how sorry I would be? yes. Those were the motives behind my slurred comments on Wednesday. You should see her car, and my bike...it is nothing short of a miracle. I AM excited to be alive. However, I appreciate the frustration and anger surrounding this issue in Stmbt. On another note though, while happy to be alive, I did go from being strong to weak in a split second, and all my conditioning that I've worked so hard for has been put on the sidelines-while that may sound insignifiant in the realm of things, the subject merits it's own emotions. I have only tasted the agony tho of other injured athletes such as Steamboat's own Ms. Engles and family, to whom I send my deepest thoughts, prayers, and wishes for a solid recovery. As someone said to me recently, "everyone who has ever slung their leg over a saddle, has you on their mind."

id04sp 7 years, 2 months ago

Given another chance, wouldn't you be a bit more careful going through a busy intersection?

This is where cyclists fail to protect themselves. If you used the same care as pedestrians, and expected cars turning into your lane to "miss" something and not see you, you might not have been hurt.

Most recent model cars have heavy posts supporting the roof. The posts in the front, which frame the windshield, are wide enough to hide another CAR. I almost had a couple of accidents due to this fact when I first got my most recent model car. Your government has required car tops to be strong enough to support the vehicle if it rolls, and as a result, a blind spot has been created.

The lesson for all is: If you are not making eye contact with the driver, don't assume you've been seen. This goes double for a cyclist at the curb entering an intersection.

thecondoguy1 7 years, 2 months ago

how did I know dundalk was a angel, not to embarass you but........... God bless you always...........

CarlHungus1016 7 years, 2 months ago

Oh golly, that officer McCartin sure is dashing in that tight little outfit. mmm, mmm, mmm, give me some sugar!