Charlie Vogel: Put Coulter to rest

— I do believe it's time to put an end to the Ann Coulter column. I noticed that she didn't have one this Thursday, probably due to her busy TV schedule to promote a book called "Godless: The Church of Liberalism" and to call for the assassination of a U.S. presidential candidate.

I say, let's not put her in next week either or the week after that.

It's fairly obvious that her form of debate is poisoning the political discourse. Sure, you can have guys like Bill Maher say that things would be better if Dick Cheney wern't around, but he says those things on HBO. Ms. Coulter has a platform in numerous newspapers around the country, and if she's going around calling Al Gore a derogatory term for gays and wishing that New York Times reporters get "executed" and saying things like "Liberals are driven by Satan and lie constantly." Well, I don't think those things should be associated with Routt County's daily newspaper.

I implore once again, take Ann Coulter's column off of our pages. Thank You.

Charlie Vogel

Steamboat Springs

Comments

Slapper 7 years, 1 month ago

this paper defends this column a couple different ways charlie. even if removed it will be replaced with another that will be similar. point is - by allowing this person in print in their newspaper in essence they are in support of this type of "opinion". opinion that deflects open debate on real issues.

stillinsteamboat 7 years, 1 month ago

Amen Charlie. Ann Coulter is dangerous. So full of hate.

dundalk 7 years, 1 month ago

Ann Coulter did have a column this week however our liberal rag once again declared its omnipotence, and overlooked the first amendment.

By selecting only liberal columnists, and overlooking diverse views, we are left with a one sided fish wrapper rather than a reputable newspaper.

Ann Coulter is not dangerous, but censorship and violation of the first amendment is.

suckerfreeforlife 7 years, 1 month ago

Coulter's a joke. Just how did the SPT violate her 1st amendment rights? How is that even possible? They have no obligation to print her adolescent drivel. Is Jonah Goldberg a liberal columnist? Coulter's not even a journalist, shes just a bomb thrower. She never makes meaningful or unique observations to add to the dialogue. Its all about this guys gay, or that guy is godless, or these women are relishing the horrific deaths of their husbands. Never has such a talentless hack found such consistant work since Bob Saget landed the gig on America's Funniest Videos. "Kill all their leaders and convert em to christianity", thats AC's approach, and if you agree w that, your just like the Jihadis themselves

Matthew Stoddard 7 years, 1 month ago

So- no quote saying he wished Dick Cheney had been killed in a terrorist attack in anything you just quoted.

Thank you for proving me right yet again.

Did you actually read it yourself? Obviously not.

Can anyone one else point it out where Maher specifically says he wished Cheney would die?

All I see is:

"Maher: But I have zero doubt that if Dick Cheney was not in power, people wouldn't be dying needlessly tomorrow"

"Maher: I'm just saying if he did die, other people, more people would live. That's a fact"

I guess that means Coulter did call Edwards a "**". You are ssooooooo easy.

dundalk 7 years, 1 month ago

Ann Coulter holds JD, has clerked for many high ranking judges over her lifetime, and the author of 5 best selling books.

Her new book, to be released this summer is titled "If Democrats Had Any Brains, They'd Be Republicans".

She's become a master at establishing that many people in this world don't have the slightest comprehension of semblable speech.

Given your post Suckerfree, I'd say she's onto something.

Matthew Stoddard 7 years, 1 month ago

dundalk- Even Vanna White had a best-selling book.

dundalk 7 years, 1 month ago

Morty: You funny guy! Nice diddy! Are the baseballers still intown?

ba-dump, bump!!

Most of them leave today or tomorrow, then return in 3 weeks. Week after next is Mountain Soccer.

suckerfreeforlife 7 years, 1 month ago

Shes a joke. I simply cant take her seriously. Its not even her ideology, which some columnists are able to make at least some degree of sense with. Its her total lack of maturity. BTW, while you were busy dropping expensive words like semblable (pronounced Some Blabble?), you avoided the 1st amendment question, the Goldberg question, the FACT that AC's bread and butter is not to add insight, but to throw bombs, and the self evident paralell btwn her mindset and that of a Jihadi.

Matthew Stoddard 7 years, 1 month ago

"No responsible newspaper would have continued to carry Dowd after that incident. Ours did. SHAME!"

"Censoring is what totalitarians do, nobody else."

Wouldn't discontinuing to carry Dowd then be censorship when she obviously has more to say?

Ah, the dichotomies of extremists.

waiting for the last bastion of the hypocrite to rear it's fugly head: "Moral Equivalence!!" LOL!

Matthew Stoddard 7 years, 1 month ago

She, like Coulter, is an Op-Ed writer. Op for opinion, Ed for editorial. One person's opinion has nothing to do with truth or deceit which is why it's called "opinion." Coulter isn't honest...she skirts the truth with legalese. It's a wonder she hasn't won a case...except those are in front of a judge who has also studied law. That's probably why I can't find anything in the win column for her.

To demonstrate, here is her Edwards quote:

"I was going to have a few comments on the other Democratic presidential candidate, John Edwards, but it turns out that you have to go into rehab if you use the word '**,' so I'm - so, kind of at an impasse, can't really talk about Edwards, so I think I'll just conclude here and take your questions."

Did she call him the word directly? No, so it's not a lie, it's an allusion. In the context of her sentence, it's a statement directed AT (not TO) Edwards. If that wasn't the gist of her statement, then the statement is a non sequitur. That shows that she was just spewing stuff possibly from a cocaine high, since the statement would make no sense in it's context as written/said.

So, her rebuttal was to inply that she was calling him a "wuss" instead. I've never heard of anyone going to rehab for saying someone's a "wuss," let alone uproar from that word.

Funny; I can't find any dictionary that uses "wuss" as a synonym for the word in question, and I don't think she was calling him a bunch of twigs, branches or iron rods banded together, otherwise she would have said that. The word in question, when used by in that context, is offensive to gay people, from what I know. If she meant "wuss" she would have said "wuss." She knew exactly what she meant and lied about it to gloss it over.

www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,256860,00.html

There you go.

dundalk 7 years, 1 month ago

Where was the concern when Bill Maher made an underhanded remark about Cheney being assassinated?

WHen Ann Coulter made her remark about Edwards, she was drawing inference to the liberal media's oversights when such a statement is made towards a U.S. V. Pres.

While I wish Mrs. Edwards all the best with her fight against cancer, there are statements she has made that are very unsavory against her neighbors across the street from her.

So, forgive me, but Ann Coulter still can throw the punches well, and I look forward to seeing the liberals squirm in their pants every time.

Matthew Stoddard 7 years, 1 month ago

SBvor- You are speculating again. yes, we have gone over that, 2nd time today, in fact. LOL!

You are now doing what the others did: you are "reading between the lines" of what she said. Everything you just said is NOT what she said as an excuse. She "qualified" that afterward. (methinks she dost protest too much)

Now, by bringing up Isaiah Washington (and you too, dundalk, for bringing up Maher) you have just fallen victim to one of your favorite excuses: MORAL EQUIVALENCE!!!!

Toldja I had clairvoyance! Thanks for proving me correct. Alway a pleasure!

dundalk 7 years, 1 month ago

Oh mighty mort! where is your crystal ball?

Matthew Stoddard 7 years, 1 month ago

Clairvoyance is internal. Less chance of misplacing it that way!

Matthew Stoddard 7 years, 1 month ago

Or, if you like, it's placed next to my diamond bat!

ba-dump, bump...tssssshhhh! I never get tired of that

How's the song go?

"Ooh I love to dance a little sidestep, now they see me now they don't- I've come and gone and, ooh I love to sweep around the wide step, cut a little swathe and lead the people on."

SBvor's themesong, fittingly in this instance, from "The Best Little Whorehouse in Texas"

Matthew Stoddard 7 years, 1 month ago

As if repeating it over and over makes it true...

Gotta love those dots!

Sing it, Baby!! "Fellow Texans, I am proudly standing here to humbly see. I assure you, and I mean it- Now, who says I don't speak out as plain as day? And, fellow Texans, I'm for progress and the flag- long may it fly.
I'm a poor boy, come to greatness. So, it follows that I cannot tell a lie.

Now my good friends, it behooves me to be solemn and declare, I'm for goodness and for profit and for living clean and saying daily prayer.
And now, my good friends, you can sleep nights, I'll continue to stand tall. You can trust me, for I promise, I shall keep a watchful eye upon ya'll...

Now, Miss Mona, I don't know her, though I've heard the name, oh yes.
But, of course I've no close contact, so what she is doing I can only guess.
And now, Miss Mona, she's a blemish on the face of that good town.
I am taking certain steps here, someone somewhere's gonna have to close her down.

Ooh I love to dance a little sidestep...

And, ooh I love to sweep around the wide step...

Cut a little swathe and lead the people on."

thalgard 7 years, 1 month ago

It's amazing, after three million years of evolution, we end up with a lunkhead like sbvor

Matthew Stoddard 7 years, 1 month ago

BTW- where is the law that states nobody can dis the Pres during wartime? I must have missed that law.

dundalk 7 years, 1 month ago

Let's get rid of Dowd and replace her with columnist Larry Elder.

Matthew Stoddard 7 years, 1 month ago

Soooooo, using "..." is indicative of a lie? Dowd lied exactly the same as Coulter. You helped me prove it. How did that go? Oh yeah- if you do not understand the difference between a lie and a "..." then there is no hope of ever reasoning with you. However, I reached that conclusion long ago.

Sorry to paraphrase your own words, but it's so much fun and waaaaaaayyyyy to easy!

Matthew Stoddard 7 years, 1 month ago

"...explains herself more fully..." Because she had to take time to craft her story? Quit hiding behind deleted postings. Your proof of her "truth" has been disproved already. Can't stand it, can you? Coulter lied and you just explained it away as "making a point."

There was no point in what she said. She's given two conflicting explanations. So which is it: she meant "wuss" or "proving a point?" If she was proving a point, why hide behind a lame definition that doesn't exist in the dictionary? Which one?

SBvor- Here's a link for you: http://newsbusters.org/node/11169

It's a conservative site I bet you visit on numerous bathroom breaks. In it, we have the Bill Maher video that Coulter was using as part of her explanation.

The video is 14:54. There's a written transcript which has the "good stuff" mentioned. Watch the video and tell me with a time stamp at what time does Maher say he wishes Cheney was assassinated? It's even written out: quote it! I dare you!

Matthew Stoddard 7 years, 1 month ago

Paraphrasing...yeah, that makes all the difference. Paraphrasing is the equivalent of "...", which with your own words: "The words in ALL CAPS were replaced in Dowd's column by three little dots. Those dots say to the reader: Trust me, I'm abbreviating here, but what I'm leaving out doesn't change the meaning."

Paraphrasing is anothoer way to say that exact same thing...because you are not saying the exact same thing. It's saying, "Trust me: he said something to this effect, but this is how I'm telling you with my own interpretation." Nice try with the vocabulary lesson. Better luck next time.

With a reach like that, you should play professional basketball. Thanks for playing. Just keep repeating over and over what you believe to justify it. Maybe one day, it will become a truth, Pinnochio. Shall we next argue the definition of "is", Mr. Clinton?

nikobesti 7 years, 1 month ago

Contending that the SPT is censoring if they decide to print another columnist instead of Coulter's diarrhea is absurd. Every paper makes a choice on which columnists to print. What should we do, print all hundred columnists in America in the paper or else throw around the "censorship" word? Hopefully we're smart enough to see through that foolishness. However, if SPT still intends to print Coulter every week but didn't print one specific piece, I would agree that is censorship.