Chelsea's closes in Oak Creek

Owners of restaurant exploring options to reopen original site

— The owners of Chelsea's are not sure when or if the long-time Chinese restaurant in Oak Creek will reopen.

Owners Jaila and Andy Benjamin said financial constraints forced the closure of the restaurant on Main Street in Oak Creek. The restaurant has not offered service in Oak Creek since before Thanksgiving.

"It is closed right now," she said. "We don't know if that's going to be temporary or permanent, but we're working on making it a temporary situation."

The Benjamins opened a Chelsea's in downtown Steamboat Springs last summer. That restaurant is doing well, they said.

Construction on Colorado Highway 131 and the new Chelsea's in Steamboat Springs affected business in Oak Creek, Jaila Benjamin said. "It has been a little overwhelming," she said.

Jaila Benjamin said options include leasing the Oak Creek restaurant to someone who wants to run Chelsea's, selling the building or allowing a new restaurant to take over Chelsea's.

"We would very much like to keep it open," she said. "But in order to keep a South Routt business open, South Routt residents need to support it and all of our businesses. It needs to be more than just saying you like it, people need to spend their money there."

The Steamboat Springs Chelsea's is "doing great," she said. The restaurant at 345 Lincoln Ave. recently began serving lunch. It hosts music performers and weekend dancing.

Chelsea's is not the only South Routt restaurant to have closed in recent months.

Three Amigos, a Mexican restaurant in Yampa, has closed. The restaurant opened in the historical Antlers Cafe & Bar in November 2005.

-To reach Alexis DeLaCruz, call 871-4234

or e-mail adelacruz@steamboatpilot.com

Comments

kingsride 7 years, 6 months ago

Ive gone into oak creek several times to eat at Chelsea's but each time I have its been closed. I might have to give Chelseas in Steamboat a second try. Guess I wasnt knocked out about it the first time. Has anyone been there recently? Any thoughts?

RouCou 7 years, 6 months ago

Gave the OC Chelseas many many trys. All the dishes taste the same. Mediocre at best. Maybe a new Chinese restaurant will open in OC with a different chef.. . Please

JQPUBLIC 7 years, 6 months ago

Over the last few years, prices have went up, portions have went down and quality is inconsistant, could this be part of the reason why the locals quit supporting Chelsea's? For years Chelsea's catered to the "steamboat crowd", skiers and limos were the norm, I would always order takeout because you could never get a seat in the restaurant. Chelsea's closed for "mud season" (and any other time they felt like it) not caring about the local trade and now they are whining south routt residents are not supporting them, give me a break! They opened their new restaurant amid the crowd they wanted to attract, closing in OC was only a matter of time.

HolySmoke 7 years, 6 months ago

I have to agree with the inconsistant quality in both the oc and stbt locations. sorry guys but you need to step it up a little and make sure you can ALWAYS get sesame chicken.

OneFly 7 years, 6 months ago

I concur also with the above. The one time I ate at Chelsea's in Steamboat for lunch it was one of the worst I've ever had and I've had a lot all over the place. Not that it tasted bad but that there was no taste at all. It is my understanding that the Antlers closed because the building had problems that the owner was not willing to repair. I do not see Chelsea's reopening anytime soon. Personally I would like to see a restaurant that did nothing but serve different types of ethnic food at a reasonable price. When Crash ran Big Tunas he served very good food. As with what I think is going to happen with Chelsea's happened to Crash that whether it is bought or leased the price is such that it is extremely hard to be successful in this market at this time. And to think I always wanted to own a restaurant.

uporpeopleu 7 years, 5 months ago

How dare those owners of Chelsea's blame the people of South Routt for their closing! We had a dinner there in the month of November and were treated like scum. I have lived in South Routt County for over 25 years and I have been a Chelsea's patron for years and I always had a good time until the last time. If the owners want the South Routt patrons to keep them afloat they need to learn how to treat them.