Officer promoted to detective

— Steamboat Springs police Officer Matt Harmon has been promoted to detective, replacing 30-year veteran Detective Ross Kelly.

Public Safety Director J.D. Hays made the announcement Wednesday.

"I think Matt will do great," he said. "We got a lot of kudos from the District Attorney's Office about the quality of Matt's work, and we think he'll slide into this new position without missing a beat."

Harmon has worked as a patrol officer for the Steamboat Springs Police Department since October 1999. He also served one year as a Greater Routt and Moffat Narcotics Enforcement Team, or GRAMNET, officer.

Harmon was selected for the position after going through an interview process that included a physical agility test, a written exam and review by two boards. The boards consisted of community members and officers from the Craig Police Department and Moffat County Sheriff's Office.

Kelly has worked for the Steamboat Springs Police Department for 32 years - 30 of them as a detective.

On Thursday, Kelly said hiring Harmon as his replacement was a "positive step" for the police department.

When Harmon was asked about getting for the promotion, he said, "I knew I had a chance, but I was going up against some great guys. They were all good candidates."

Kelly said he is looking forward to opening a new chapter in his life.

"I don't think I remember what it's like to not be an officer," he said. "I'm ready to see what the world looks like."

Kelly's last day with the police department is March 2.

Harmon likely will replace Kelly as the "techy" guy at the police department, Hays said.

"(Kelly) had a knowledge of computers, cameras, digital recorders. He was a real technical guy," he said. "Our anticipation is that Matt will be the new 'techy.'"

Detectives are responsible for more significant criminal investigations and crime scenes such as homicides or sexual assaults, he said.

"I'm excited," Harmon said, refering to the new detective work. "I'm looking forward to investigative work and having more responsibilty at the police department. I guess more than anything I'm looking forward to serving the community more."

Three other officers applied for the position - Officer Josh Carrell, Sgt. Rich Brown and Sgt. Nick Bosick.

- To reach Alexis DeLaCruz, call 871-4234

or e-mail adelacruz@steamboatpilot.com

Comments

countrygirl 7 years, 9 months ago

Well, they couldn't have gone wrong, that must have been a tough decision. Matt has always been an outstanding officer. As are all the officers that are listed as having applied for the position. Congrats Matt I'm sure you will do great!

Matthew Stoddard 7 years, 9 months ago

Don't know them all, but I've known Nick Bosick since high school. Hope his turn comes up soon.

Hey Sheriff's Dept.: See? This is how you make more money: time in service & actually working in your chosen field while doing a good job!!!!

hardtobelieve 7 years, 9 months ago

Congratulations, Matt. We're very happy for you. You are an outstanding officer. You deserve this. The others will get their turn . . . . the City Of Steamboat Springs has a great police department.

flipside 7 years, 9 months ago

Who cares?!?! A police officer gets promoted? Really??? Wow!!! What big news!!!

I mean good for the guy. I'm sure it's well deserved, but a news story?!?!?!?

Are you kidding me???

What a complete waste of time and space.

flipside 7 years, 9 months ago

have another slice of pie numbers and relax ... my point was that it's a stupid thing to do a newspaper story on. I mean who really cares?

flipside 7 years, 9 months ago

ok numbers ... it's STUPID to write news stories about relatively low-level promotions within a government agency. It's lazy. It's weak. There are plenty of other stories that could fill that spot. At the most it should be a part of the "briefs". But of course since your husband is a cop you believe it's BIG news. Lame.

goldilocks 7 years, 9 months ago

flipside- do you ever have anything positive to say? This story is just as pertinent to life in Steamboat as the Hayden woman winning the scratch lotto. Did you ever think that maybe people in Steamboat like to be invovled with the PD and like to know who works there? Also, the article gives credit to det. Kelly for working for 32 years.

Congrats Matt! And thanks for the service Detective Kelly.!

id04sp 7 years, 9 months ago

Hey, do you reckon that the "old techie guy" is the same one who told me the PD would not waste its resources on anything as mundane employee theft, but then tried to sell me his sideline software consulting business services?

This was back in 95. He was a sorta blondish guy, maybe with facial hair. Wore glasses. Know anybody like that?

JazzSlave 7 years, 9 months ago

flipside moans:

"I mean who really cares?"

I do, and so, evidently does just about everyone other than you on this thread. Next question?

And unless I've missed something, no one is forcing you to read newspaper accounts of local issues you don't care about.

Whine much, flipside?