Girl in stable condition

Molly Look, 3, spent half an hour in sub-zero temperatures

— A 3-year-old Routt County girl was listed in stable condition at Denver Children's Hospital on Thursday, one day after spending an extended period of time in sub-zero temperatures with little to protect her.

The girl, Molly Rhea Look, has sensation in her arms, legs, fingers and toes, although the girl's long-term prognosis remained unclear Thursday morning, Routt County Sheriff's Office Investigator Ken Klinger said. Members of Molly's family were unavailable for comment Thursday.

"She's not in the (Intensive Care Unit)," Klinger said. "Hospital staff are debriding the affected areas to get to her good tissues, and she has feeling in those different areas, which is a good sign."

Klinger said debriding is a technique used to slough dead skin from a burned or frostbitten area.

Klinger did not know whether the girl was going to lose any fingers, toes or appendages.

"Right now, she has everything this morning she left with (Wednesday)," he said.

Molly is thought to have wandered from her home near Routt County Roads 179 and 52E early Wednesday morning and was found in a snowbank on the side of a road by Kathleen Fitzsimmons, a passing motorist. Molly was wearing only a long-sleeved shirt.

Fitzsimmons, who lives in the area, noticed Molly in the snowbank and stopped her car to pick her up. She rushed Molly to Yampa Valley Medical Center, and Molly was then flown to Children's Hospital.

Klinger said the girl had walked 60 to 80 feet in 12 inches of snow. Molly's pants and boots apparently came off when she became tangled in a fence.

The girl's parents, Delbert "Del" and Yvette Look, did not immediately notice that the girl had left their home, Klinger said. But when they realized that neither one of them knew where the girl was, they began a frantic search of the area.

Klinger said the incident appears to be an unfortunate accident and that there's no evidence of neglect. Criminal charges are not anticipated, Klinger said.

"We found no evidence of neglect," he said. "They're apparently a good family. It's not the fault of the parents. It's just a tragic thing where this little girl had a mind of her own."

Klinger said the parents had a "slight miscommunication" as to who had the little girl, he said. On Wednesday morning, Del Look had taken the family's two older children to school while Yvette Look stayed at home. She was resting because she was sick. The family moved to the area in December where the girl's maternal grandparents live, he said.

"Apparently she had walked to (her grandparents') house before, and that's where she was going," he said. "She's a fiercely independent 3-year-old."

Klinger said officers immediately called social services because it was not immediately known how Molly made it to the road or who she belonged to.

"At that moment we had no idea how a partially naked 3-year-old girl ended up sitting on the side of the road," he said. "We were asking ourselves, 'Did she fall out of a vehicle?' or 'Did someone leave her there?'"

Had Fitzsimmons not driven by Molly Look at the time she did, the situation could have ended much worse, he said.

"It's a miracle (Fitzsimmons) came along because if she hadn't, this would have been a real tragedy," he said.

By his estimates, Molly Look had been exposed to the elements at least 25 minutes and may have been outside longer, Klinger said.

- To reach Alexis DeLaCruz, call 871-4234

or e-mail adelacruz@steamboatpilot.com

Comments

DR 7 years, 10 months ago

I am a friend of the Look family. If you know Molly or the family or just want to cheer her up. Send her a cheer card, its a service provided by Childrens Hospital:

The volunteers at Children's Hospital print them and deliver them to her room. It's free, you can write a personal message and Molly loves the ones she has received. Her family said it makes her smile.

Please include Molly in your thoughts and prayers..........

love_boat 7 years, 10 months ago

Please read story before passing judgement. She was clothed when she left the house. The child lost her pants and boots on a fence. Most 3 year olds can unlock a door. When my daughter was 3 she could pull a chair to the door and undo the chain lock. Some kids are just escape artists, other kids are afraid to go anywhere without mom or dad. Her father was reportedly 10 minutes behind the lady who rescued her so it isn't as if they didn't notice her missing for a few hours. God bless her and her family.

wm1414 7 years, 10 months ago

The family does have a close relative who works for social services.

JazzSlave 7 years, 10 months ago

love_boat:

Seconded. Kids can get into trouble, despite the most attentive parents.

Famous family story - I was 3 when my parents were repainting their master bedroom. They each had a can of beer sitting on the footlocker at the end of the bed. As they got into the painting, the beers were forgotten and discovered & consumed by yours truly. Apparently, I was quite a happy little drunk.

goldilocks 7 years, 10 months ago

I know Molly, and she is a wonderful child. Supporting her AND her family now is the most important thing. I am a mother myself, and I know that Del and Yvette are just sick about what has happened. Regardless of what you think happened or didn't happen, the most important thing right now is to hope and pray for the health of Molly.

DR- I spoke with someone who was there when Molly got a card, and they said that her face lit up. Thanks for the link!!

DR 7 years, 10 months ago

To all of you that have sent Molly a Cheer Card-THANK YOU!!! She has received so many. She loves the cards and her parents are very appreciative. They thank you for your support, thoughts and prayers.

I had heard there were some negative comments regarding the Look family on this forum, but am relieved to read that the majority is support and understanding. Those of us with children KNOW that accidents happen unless you raise your children in a bubble.

The Look family would never put any of their children intentionally in harms way and they are torn apart inside by this tragedy. They are very loving Christian people. This was just a case of a very very strong willed child. She is a beautiful and loving child.....but when she has her mind set....she goes for it. As someone stated above...some children wouldn't care that they can open a door to leave the house...while others work really hard to learn how to minipulate a lock...open a window, etc... This little girl just wanted to go to her Grandma's house....with her mind set....off she went.

We should all remember and rejoice that she was found. And most importantly she's alive. God sent Kathleen and we are all very thankful she was at the right place at the right time. Thank you Kathleen for saving Molly's life!!

I have a 1 and 3 year old. The 1 year old climbs on everything. I turn my back for a second and she's scrambled up onto a table or dresser. My 3 year old can open one door to the outside...she can unlock it too. I feel I am a very attentive parent, but it only takes a second for one to fall of the table, sneak out of the house, fall off a bike, fall off a swing, get pushed by a sibling, fall down stairs, etc...etc... All of these could result in a very serious injury. But, they happen every day by even the most attentive parents.

Hopefully, something good will come from this accident. All of us will give our children an extra hug and thank God that they are safe. This tragedy will also remind all of us that life can change in a flash. What you think can't or won't happen to you or your child....could. It's a wake up call for me. On the door that my child can open, I will put a childproof devise. I know that I can't protect them from everything....so I will just continue to pray to God to keep my family safe.

Please continue to pray for Molly and the Look family. Molly is hanging in there, but she has a long road ahead. Being the strong willed child that she is....no matter what obstacles she runs into...she will prevail.

As for those that feel they need to kick people while they are down or judgmental when they really don't have facts or know the family or frankly don't have children...please keep your comments to yourself. The family either reads or hears about these comments made by you and it is hurtful.

Turn your negativity into something positive and pray for Molly and all the children in Children's Hospital.

vic 7 years, 10 months ago

I remember my Grandmother telling stories about my Dad when he was a toddler...from age 2, every (yes, every)day when she put him down for a nap, he would climb out the window and head for the swimming pool at the park. I would say probably close to 3 blocks and all down a very steep hill, plus one street to cross. No matter how she tried to secure the window, he always escaped and she always found him swimming.

That's just one of my favorite stories - I have a load of them involving friends, other relatives and even myself. Sometimes it does happen because of an unattentive parent, but sometimes it can happen right under the most cautious parent's nose.

I'm glad the right person came along at the right time and did the right thing. And I'm sorry for Molly and her family. They all have a tough road ahead. I wish them well.

Some people just automatically jump to conclusions without knowledge and without thinking and usually based on one story.

laurap2000 7 years, 10 months ago

My comment is to those passing judgement on the Look family as they are going through this horrible time as a result of this ACCIDENT - are you perfect? Have you EVER let your child out of your sight for one instant? (My guess is YES, you put them down for bed in their own room every night and then snuggle into your own bed.) Have you ever made any kind of mistake with your child? Have you ever thought "thank goodness THAT didn't happen..."? Judge not and ye shall not be judged.

My thoughts and prayers are with Molly and their family. I am hoping that Molly can return home to her family and community as soon as possible, and wishing her and her family all the best in a speedy recovery.

JLKM 7 years, 8 months ago

fourseasons:

your comments don't seem to coincide with each other. i am trying to figure out which one is the serious comment and which one is the smartie pants one? would you help us out? i would also love to know who you are. you seem to know the family very well and have quite a bit of insight.

fourseasons (anonymous) January 19, 2007 at 9:04 a.m. (Suggest removal)

God Bless Molly ,Pray to the lord Jesus for her Parents,The words of god will keep the familys spirit alive with support.Holy Holy Holy is thy name we pray and pray and pray for this so very unfortunate situation it was obviously the way of the lord and no one is at fault.Keep Jesus in the minds of all.