Steamboat Springs Your article on Sheriff Wall's license suspension points out a serious problem we, the citizens of Routt County, need to take action to correct. As summarized below, Sheriff Wall's actions since he was elected have clearly shown he is not the correct person for the position of Routt County Sheriff. It is now time for the citizens to begin a recall process and appoint a qualified person for sheriff who has integrity : We pay taxes which are used to pay his salary, and we are not getting value for our money. He has shown that he considers himself and his department above the restrictions of the law and of county policies. We can not receive the law enforcement we are paying for when Sheriff Wall himself has such disregard of both the laws and the county regulations as he has demonstrated.
Let us review the facts:
1. When he was sworn in, he demanded special treatment by a separate ceremony. It clearly shows that he considers himself too good to be sworn in with the other county officials. With this attitude, how can he work effectively with these same people in the performance of county business?
2. The use of county vehicles by department employees for personal business is clearly a violation of county policy. His feud with the County Commissioners concerning this matter again shows his disregard for regulations. Doesn't a sheriff need to follow the regulations as we all are expected to do? Should our tax dollars support private use of county vehicles?
3. The "ELDERWATCH" program was dropped. This was a special program that used to give the seniors in our county comfort that they had an officer, whom they could trust, to help them with fraud, scam phone calls and other concerns. Our Sheriff has shown his lack of concern for the elderly members of the county by this action. Do we really want to ignore this segment of our population?
4. Early on, Sheriff Wall decided to cut funding and drop out of GRAMNET, giving us the clear message that he really doesn't care about drug activities in our area. This is scary! One of his duties as sheriff is to uphold the law and to arrest those who violate the law. Are we safer now?
5. The most recent event we are aware of is the loss of Sheriff Wall's driver's license related to DUI charges, including the embarrassment of statewide news coverage. This court action certainly supports the State Patrol's charges of driving under the influence. Can we citizens feel safer on the road when the sheriff displays disregard for the same law he has sworn to uphold?
I think now is the time for the citizens to start a recall action. This is probably only the tip of the iceberg of the sheriff's inappropriate actions. Can we afford to have this continue another three years?
Bill and Cathie Voorhees